Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2

 OS:       RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-smp
 Hardware: IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 with 2 Xenon Processors and 256M memory
 SCSI sub system: 4 IBM 9.1G scsi disk on a 7895 scsi card

On Sybase 11.0.3.3
1>t001 1760
2>go
-- ----------- ------- -----
13 seconds for 4224000 bytes

After my update, on Sybase 11.9.2
1>t001 1760
2>go
--- ----------- ------- -----
454 seconds for 4224000 bytes

Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2?
( Two Sbyase has same config, max engine = 2, total memory = 65536, all of
other are default)

                                Xuzheng 2000-07-20

procedure t001 code:
create procedure t001
  (
  @ReportNum int
  )
as
begin
declare
   @reportNum int,
   @reportID int,
   @beginTime datetime,
   @endTime datetime,
   @reportTime datetime

select
  @reportNum = 0,
  @beginTime = getdate(),
  @reportTime = getdate()
while( @reportNum < @ReportNum )
  begin
  select @reportID = 1
  select @reportTime = dateadd( ss, 2, @reportTime )
  while( @reportID < 31 )
    begin
    insert into report..testReport
    select
      @reportTime,
      'AA',
      'AA',
      @reportTime,

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAA'
    select @reportID = @reportID + 1
    end
  select @reportNum = @reportNum + 1
  end

select
  @endTime = getdate()

select
  datediff( ss, @beginTime, @endTime ), ' seconds for ', ReportNum*2400, '
bytes'
end
go

xuzheng
7/21/2000 2:02:24 PM
sybase.sqlserver.linux 1108 articles. 1 followers. Follow

xuzheng wrote:

>  OS:       RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-smp
>  Hardware: IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 with 2 Xenon Processors and 256M memory
>  SCSI sub system: 4 IBM 9.1G scsi disk on a 7895 scsi card
>
> On Sybase 11.0.3.3
> 1>t001 1760
> 2>go
> -- ----------- ------- -----
> 13 seconds for 4224000 bytes
>
> After my update, on Sybase 11.9.2
> 1>t001 1760
> 2>go
> --- ----------- ------- -----
> 454 seconds for 4224000 bytes
>
> Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2?
> ( Two Sbyase has same config, max engine = 2, total memory = 65536, all of
> other are default)

Because 11.0.3.3 will by default use buffered filesystem access, which avoids a
lot of writes during your inserts in the proc. However, if the server
goes down while the proc is running you may see database corruption.

If you use a recent version of 11.0.3.3 (ESD#6) and a recent kernel
(2.2.14, with patches) you can use raw IO and async IO and get throughput
that is as good as buffered file access, without the risk of loosing data.

Unfortunately the raw IO/async IO access has not been added to 11.9.2 yet.

Michael
Michael
8/16/2000 12:53:21 AM
You need to look deeper than the machine and the configuration.

Settle on a query that is running poorly, ust this as your test.

Check for the presence of mismatched datatypes. That is, are there any
differences between the declared datatype of a parameter and the column it's
going against? This is just one example. There were changes in how mismatches
are handled.

BTW - think of performance analysis as a set of levels you need to examine. My
bias (based on experience) say to check the query (optimization) level first,
then move up from there.

Hope this helps

Eric Miner
Sybase
ASE Engineering
Optimizer Group

xuzheng wrote:

>  OS:       RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-smp
>  Hardware: IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 with 2 Xenon Processors and 256M memory
>  SCSI sub system: 4 IBM 9.1G scsi disk on a 7895 scsi card
>
> On Sybase 11.0.3.3
> 1>t001 1760
> 2>go
> -- ----------- ------- -----
> 13 seconds for 4224000 bytes
>
> After my update, on Sybase 11.9.2
> 1>t001 1760
> 2>go
> --- ----------- ------- -----
> 454 seconds for 4224000 bytes
>
> Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2?
> ( Two Sbyase has same config, max engine = 2, total memory = 65536, all of
> other are default)
>
>                                 Xuzheng 2000-07-20
>
> procedure t001 code:
> create procedure t001
>   (
>   @ReportNum int
>   )
> as
> begin
> declare
>    @reportNum int,
>    @reportID int,
>    @beginTime datetime,
>    @endTime datetime,
>    @reportTime datetime
>
> select
>   @reportNum = 0,
>   @beginTime = getdate(),
>   @reportTime = getdate()
> while( @reportNum < @ReportNum )
>   begin
>   select @reportID = 1
>   select @reportTime = dateadd( ss, 2, @reportTime )
>   while( @reportID < 31 )
>     begin
>     insert into report..testReport
>     select
>       @reportTime,
>       'AA',
>       'AA',
>       @reportTime,
>
> 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAA'
>     select @reportID = @reportID + 1
>     end
>   select @reportNum = @reportNum + 1
>   end
>
> select
>   @endTime = getdate()
>
> select
>   datediff( ss, @beginTime, @endTime ), ' seconds for ', ReportNum*2400, '
> bytes'
> end
> go

Eric
8/17/2000 4:02:15 PM
This is yes/no answer depends on the system configuration.

11.0.3.3 is faster if you do not use parallel query and row level locking on
1192.
And just 1 cpu assigns to sybase.
Upgrade 11033 to 1192 or 12 and using 1 cpu for Sybase, most SPs (90%) will
run slower even add more system memory.

1 big plus for 1192 and 12 is high availability and parallel feature for
24x7 shops which is worth the upgrade.

Rey Wang
www.dbmethods.com

"Eric Miner" <eminer@sybase.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >    @reportNum int,
> >    @reportID int,
> >    @beginTime datetime,
> >    @endTime datetime,
> >    @reportTime datetime
> >
> > select
> >   @reportNum = 0,
> >   @beginTime = getdate(),
> >   @reportTime = getdate()
> > while( @reportNum < @ReportNum )
> >   begin
> >   select @reportID = 1
> >   select @reportTime = dateadd( ss, 2, @reportTime )
> >   while( @reportID < 31 )
> >     begin
> >     insert into report..testReport
> >     select
> >       @reportTime,
> >       'AA',
> >       'AA',
> >       @reportTime,

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SrSybDBA
8/24/2000 12:16:06 AM
In article <1LimeTIVAHA.202@forums.sybase.com>, "Philip Chan"
<philipc@i-cable.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Do you know if Sybase will add raw device and async. I/O feature to
> their
> 11.9.2.x ASE?

No, I don't know what their plans are. My guess is that most of their
efforts right now are geared towards getting 12.5 to GA status, and I
also suspect that they may be waiting forthe 2.4.x kernels to make it to
GA status too.

But all of that is complete speculation - I have no inside knowledge :-)

Michael
--
Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler@mbay.net - AIM MPpplr
Hi Michael,

Do you know if Sybase will add raw device and async. I/O feature to their
11.9.2.x ASE?

Regards,
Philip

"Michael Peppler" <mpeppler@peppler.org> ?????
> xuzheng wrote:
> >
> >  OS:       RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-smp
> >  Hardware: IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 with 2 Xenon Processors and 256M
memory
> >  SCSI sub system: 4 IBM 9.1G scsi disk on a 7895 scsi card
> >
> > On Sybase 11.0.3.3
> > 1>t001 1760
> > 2>go
> > -- ----------- ------- -----
> > 13 seconds for 4224000 bytes
> >
> > After my update, on Sybase 11.9.2
> > 1>t001 1760
> > 2>go
> > --- ----------- ------- -----
> > 454 seconds for 4224000 bytes
> >
> > Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2?
> > ( Two Sbyase has same config, max engine = 2, total memory = 65536, all
of
> > other are default)
>
> Because 11.0.3.3 will by default use buffered filesystem access, which
avoids a
> lot of writes during your inserts in the proc. However, if the server
> goes down while the proc is running you may see database corruption.
>
> If you use a recent version of 11.0.3.3 (ESD#6) and a recent kernel
> (2.2.14, with patches) you can use raw IO and async IO and get throughput
> that is as good as buffered file access, without the risk of loosing data.
>
> Unfortunately the raw IO/async IO access has not been added to 11.9.2 yet.
>
> Michael
> --
> mpeppler@peppler.org    -||-  http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler

Philip

Upgrading from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on Linux
Hi, I've downloaded the 11.9.2 Linux versino of Sybase and want to upgrade an existing installation from 11.0.3.3 to this more up to date version. The documentation refers to an executable on the cd called sybsetup, however, I've downloaded the rpm files off the web and don't have a sybsetup executable. When I try to install the rpm for 11.9.2 it tells me that there is already an earlier version of Sybase installed. Can anyone tell me how to get around this! >rpm -ivh sybase-ase-11.9.2-3.i386.rpm error: failed dependencies: sybase-ase < 11.9.2 conflicts ...

Error after upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.3
We have upgraded our production Sybase servers to 11.9.2 from 11.0.3.3 last weekend and we applied ebf9160 All went well except for an error in the errorlog as follows NT operating system error 2 in module 'e:\rel1192\porttree\svr\sql\generic\ksource\strmio\n_winsock.c' at line 3481: The system cannot find the file specified. kernel nl__connect: Could not connect to site 'VUA_S2002_XP', socket 1. This error did not occur when we tested the upgrade on our test servers. There appears to be no problems with the overall install, everything works fine - except for t...

11.0.3.2 vs 11.0.3.3
Dear All, I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? Best Regards, Colin Colin wrote: > > Dear All, > > I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I > have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is > it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? > Just a number of bugfixes. I don't believe any of them are Y2K rel...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Upgrade from 11.0.3.3 SQL Server to 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ...

Warmstandby between 11.0.3.3 and 11.9.2
Is any one tried creating standby connection between ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2? Yes. It works but you have to use an ltm if your primary is 11.0.3.3. garcia banu wrote: > Is any one tried creating standby connection between ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE > 11.9.2? ...

Difference between 11.0.3.3 + 11.9.2
When we were running as Sybase SQL Server V11.0.3 we would have an approx. ratio between the number of I/Os done by the CHECKPOINT SLEEP process and the HOUSEKEEPER process of say 10:1. e.g.. I/O CPU spid login Cmd Status --------------- ------- ------- --------- ------------------------------------ ------------ 6138931 0 6 NULL CHECKPOINT SLEEP sleeping master 651783 0 7 NULL HOUSEKEEPER sleeping master Since upgrading this server to ASE11.9.2 we have now seen the number of I/O done by the HOUSEKEEPER proce...

Replication Server 11.5
Simply, can I replicate from 11.9.3 to 11.0.3.3 using Replication Server 11.5, warm standby solution with replication definitions? We are in the process of upgrading our production systems to 11.9.3 from 11.0.3.3. Our current scenerio looks like this: Server A : 11.0.3.3 Production ASE/11.5 RepServer Server B: 11.0.3.3 ASE Server C: 11.0.3.3 ASE 1. Currently replicating Server A --> Server C 2. Upgrade Server B to 11.9.3. 3. Replicate Server A --> Server B ** This is where my question fits in--if a "switch" is needed, can 11.9.3 --> 11.0.3.3? 4. Sto...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.1
Hello ASE guru, We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the sybsystemprocs database was extended by 2 MB on master device. (before upgrade size was 120 MB and after upgrade the size is 122MB) Is this a normal behavior of upgrade? any harm in leaving 2 MB on master device? Will upgrade fail if there is no room for this 2 MB on master device? Thanks for your help. kp wrote: > We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the You'd want to get the latest EBF and get it up to 11.9.2.3. > sybsystemprocs da...

11.0.3.3 vs 11.9.2
I tried to find on the SYBASE website major differences as far as functionalities/improvements between those 2 versions but I couldn't..could anyone give me some pointers? Thanks Paul wrote: > > I tried to find on the SYBASE website major differences as far as > functionalities/improvements between those 2 versions but I couldn't..could > anyone give me some pointers? You should look at http://sybooks.sybase.com and check out the section on ASE 11.5.1 and 11.9.2 new features. There are too many to go into at one time but that is a good place to start. ...

upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on NT
We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2. In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have their own variables. We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2, but opposite the way sybase handles this in version 12. We have set our SYBASE variable to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192). We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the change to our variables has caused a snag. We would like to be consistant across all platforms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreci...

11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 upgrade on NT
We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2. In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have their own variables. We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2, but opposite the way sybase handles this in version 12. We have set our SYBASE variable to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192). We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the change to our variables has caused a snag. We would like to be consistant across all platforms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreci...

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

Opinions needed for Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2
I will soon be upgrading out 11.0.3.3(NT) db to 11.9.2(NT). Our SQL servers support a powerbuilder 6.5 application which uses Open Client 10.0.4 Upon installing 11.9.2 will i also need to upgrade open client on each client machine. Or will 10.0.4 still be usable? Having 120 (win2000) machines to upgrade has anyone had success pushing them out thru SMS(which our Central IT dept manages). I am hoping to avoid purchasing any additional software to do this. All suggestions are appreciated! (note that hotmail.mom needs to be hotmail.com if replying via email) In article <5...

Web resources about - Why 11.0.3.3 is much faster than 11.9.2 - sybase.sqlserver.linux

Faster-than-light neutrino anomaly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fig. 1 What OPERA saw. Leftmost is the proton beam from the CERN SPS accelerator. It passes the beam current transformer (BCT), hits the target, ...

Behind Facebook’s Faster Recommendations Plugin
Facebook continued its efforts to boost the speed of its social plugins , with Software Engineer Stoyan Stefanov detailing in a post on his blog ...

A Faster Way to Message on Mobile
UPDATE on Wednesday, October 19, 2011: We're excited to announce an update to Facebook Messenger . In this version, we've included a bunch of ...

Facebook updates iOS app with Gifts, photo editing, faster access to messages, more
Facebook today released an update for iOS that introduces support for Facebook Gifts and brings key features of its standalone Camera and Messenger ...

faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction updated: The benchmark is in! http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo ...
faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction updated: The benchmark is in! http://t.

A faster way for SMBs to promote Tweets - Twitter Blogs
... January 30, 2015... Skip to main content Small Business Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs &nbsp A faster ... ...

Ticketlink - Book your sports tickets, faster and easier! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Ticketlink - Book your sports tickets, faster and easier! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Watch chameleons whose tongues are faster than sports cars attack their prey in slow motion
VIDEO: A new study has revealed that some of the smallest chameleons in the Animal Kingdom have the most powerful elastic tongues.

Greenland ice sheet melts up to a third faster under cloudy skies
Greenland's ice sheet is melting at increasing speeds, and at some times more than others. The answer lies in the clouds.

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
... Devices Continue reading more about iOS Devices and General at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, ...