Proxy tables in ASE V12

Our agency is currently developing a new EAServer application which will
include significant usage of CIS to access remote tables via proxy tables.
Many of these accesses will require joins - joins between tables
exclusively on the remote instance of ASE as well as joins between remote
tables (via proxy tables) and local tables.  Is anyone aware of any issues
or gotchas, performance or otherwise, regarding using proxy tables in ASE
V12?

Also, this application will access two databases on the local server
sometimes joining tables across those databases.  The development team
requested that we create proxy tables for all tables in the second
database--even though those tables reside on the same instance of ASE.
Their reasoning was that they wanted to minimize any changes to the
application code in case, as the project progresses, they determine that
the second database will need to reside on its own instance of ASE.  We
(i.e., the Database Unit) rejected this request since (1) they currently
have no apparent reason to believe that the second database will need to be
on its own instance of ASE and/or physical server and, (2) the usage of
proxy tables to access local tables would unnecessarily introduce lots of
overhead and most likely introduce some risk and restrictions as well.  Has
anyone ever seen proxy tables implemented to access local tables on the
same instance of ASE?

Thanks,

Sue Patterson
NYS Workers Compensation Board
0
Sue_Patterson
2/27/2001 3:58:19 PM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

creating a view instead of a proxy table could do the trick
like
create view as
select * from otherdb..othertable

the only gotcha here might be that transactions touching tables from
different databases could cause premature checkpointing which could degrade
performance. however it is still better than proxy tables.

<Sue_Patterson> wrote in message
> Our agency is currently developing a new EAServer application which will
> include significant usage of CIS to access remote tables via proxy tables.
> Many of these accesses will require joins - joins between tables
> exclusively on the remote instance of ASE as well as joins between remote
> tables (via proxy tables) and local tables.  Is anyone aware of any issues
> or gotchas, performance or otherwise, regarding using proxy tables in ASE
> V12?
>
> Also, this application will access two databases on the local server
> sometimes joining tables across those databases.  The development team
> requested that we create proxy tables for all tables in the second
> database--even though those tables reside on the same instance of ASE.
> Their reasoning was that they wanted to minimize any changes to the
> application code in case, as the project progresses, they determine that
> the second database will need to reside on its own instance of ASE.  We
> (i.e., the Database Unit) rejected this request since (1) they currently
> have no apparent reason to believe that the second database will need to
be
> on its own instance of ASE and/or physical server and, (2) the usage of
> proxy tables to access local tables would unnecessarily introduce lots of
> overhead and most likely introduce some risk and restrictions as well.
Has
> anyone ever seen proxy tables implemented to access local tables on the
> same instance of ASE?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sue Patterson
> NYS Workers Compensation Board

0
laxu
2/27/2001 10:11:28 PM
Sue,

There are occasionally issues with joins of a local table and a remote table.
Especially look out for these types of joins that have no search arguments.
Without sargs to reduce the result set sometimes CIS can choose to use
'reformatting' to bring ALL of the rows from the remote table into a local temp
table. I suggest you identify these types of joins (between local and proxy),
and be sure to test them to see if there are issues before you put them in
production. If there are there are a number of things one can do, so if that's
the case you can always visit here again for suggestions. Also, I suggest make
sure you define the remote server(s) with the correct server class. Make sure
you run update statistics on your proxy tables. If your joining tables on the
local with a remote make sure the join columns have the same datatype,
precision, and scale. Remember, showplan and the 302/310 trace flags are also
valid for diagnosing optimization issue with proxy tables. And of course test,
test, test first!

Gordon R Sams
Sybase Omni Engineering

Sue_Patterson wrote:

> Our agency is currently developing a new EAServer application which will
> include significant usage of CIS to access remote tables via proxy tables.
> Many of these accesses will require joins - joins between tables
> exclusively on the remote instance of ASE as well as joins between remote
> tables (via proxy tables) and local tables.  Is anyone aware of any issues
> or gotchas, performance or otherwise, regarding using proxy tables in ASE
> V12?
>
> Also, this application will access two databases on the local server
> sometimes joining tables across those databases.  The development team
> requested that we create proxy tables for all tables in the second
> database--even though those tables reside on the same instance of ASE.
> Their reasoning was that they wanted to minimize any changes to the
> application code in case, as the project progresses, they determine that
> the second database will need to reside on its own instance of ASE.  We
> (i.e., the Database Unit) rejected this request since (1) they currently
> have no apparent reason to believe that the second database will need to be
> on its own instance of ASE and/or physical server and, (2) the usage of
> proxy tables to access local tables would unnecessarily introduce lots of
> overhead and most likely introduce some risk and restrictions as well.  Has
> anyone ever seen proxy tables implemented to access local tables on the
> same instance of ASE?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sue Patterson
> NYS Workers Compensation Board

0
Gordon

Proxy table mapping an ASE Table
Hi I try to create an IX proxy tablwe wich mapps a ASE table. I created an remote server with JDBC class bur when I try to do a connection I receive the following error message: 1> forward to remoteServer sp_who 2> go Msg 11206, Level 16, State 0: ASA Error -656: Unable to connect to server 'remoteServer': No suitable driver (1 row affected) What is wrong ? Thanks in advance for any hints. ...

Proxy tables between ASE 11.5.1 and ASE 12
Hi everybody We are in HP-UX 11 and have two servers, one in ASE 12 and other in ASE 11.5.1. This servers need to share data via proxy tables. Does somebody know if it is possible to use proxy tables in ASE 12 referencing tables in ASE 11.5.1 and viceversa? Thanks a lot. Roberto Espitia wrote: > We are in HP-UX 11 and have two servers, one in ASE 12 and other in ASE > 11.5.1. This servers need to share data via proxy tables. > Does somebody know if it is possible to use proxy tables in ASE 12 > referencing tables in ASE 11.5.1 and viceversa? It should work....

Proxy Tables ASE
Hi. I want to create proxy tables in ASE; the physical tables are in ASA. I have a problem creating a proxy table in ASE. The error message is something like "could not connect to remote server". I have some questions: * How to configure the remote server in ASE to connect an ASA database? * How to configure ASA environment? Some Tips? Renato Gonzalez ...

Proxy table ASE
Hi, I'm trying to insert 600000 rows from sybase IQ (linux) into a proxy table in sybase ASE (windows NT), but it takes over 15 minutes. I've also done the same select in the IQ table, and the performance seems to be quite good, it took something like 10 seconds. But when I make a insert from IQ into a ASE proxy table with 600000 rows (and something like 30 columns) it took like 15 minutes to finish. Is this normal? There is anything I can do to improve IQ performance (something to be configured?)? Thanks in advance Roseli ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreade...

Working with ASA, ASE and proxy tables.
I am trying to create proxy tables on ASE from tables on an ASA 6.02 server. I am able to load proxy tables in ASE from ASA if ASE in on a different servers. But when they are on the same server I get an unable to connect error. I am running on NT 4 sp4, ASE 11.9.2 with CIS, and ASA 6.02. Why can I load the proxy tables onto a Unix ASE server but not the NT. Could both ASA 6.02 and ASE 11.9.2 be using slightly different versions of Open Server and Open Client?. Do they install any of the same dlls in the windows system directory? Has anyone ever tried this configuration an...

problem with proxy table of ASe to IQ
I try to create a proxy table in an ASE pointing to a table in IQ, all teh set ups are Ok, iq server is known in ASE: connect to iq_server sp_iqwho works well disconnect from iq_server Exited passthru mode from server 'stckrec'. When I create the follwoing proxy table it fails with following mesage: CREATE EXISTING TABLE IQ_StockRecordRaw( C1 varchar(1000)) EXTERNAL TABLE at "iq_server.iqdb.dbo.StockrecordRaw" go Msg 11216, Level 16, State 13: Server 'SRV15', Line 1: Internal Ct-Lib/Cs-Lib error 67241508: 'ct_send(): protocol specific layer: intern...

ase 15.5 proxy Table
Hi all , for Sybase technician, with ASE 12.5 (win2000) , the statement 'select @var = col from proxyTable where ....' inside the stored proc give always 0 (zero) rows. TIA ...

Proxy tables in ASE 12.5
Hi everyone. Is it possible to have ASE proxy table to ASIQ in PDesigner 10.1? Thanks in advance, Jo=e3o Sim=f5es Jo=?ISO-8859-1?B?428=?= Sim=?ISO-8859-1?B?9WVz?= wrote... > Hi everyone. > > Is it possible to have ASE proxy table to ASIQ in PDesigner > 10.1? > > Thanks in advance, > Jo=e3o Sim=f5es > On the Options tab for the table select "External table" option. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Sybase product enhancement requests: http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement ...

sql sent to proxy table
is there any way I can get a log of the sql sent to a proxy table when I submit a query (using ASA version 8.0.2.4398)? eg. get it (ISQL or anything) to write to the ODBC log? I get an error (ICOBOL ODBC DRIVER] Expected lexical element not found: SET ) on an update query and need to know why. I have no problems running the same update query using Access. Access writes to the ODBC log eg. MSACCESS 608-62c ENTER SQLAllocStmt HDBC 094B15C8 HSTMT * 092B1588 MSACCESS 608-62c EXIT SQLAllocStmt with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS) HDBC ...

Proxy Tables in Table Last
In IM10.5 When I look at my list of tables when making a new query or report, I cannot see tables that are proxy tables. Am I missing a setting somewhere to let me see these? TIA ...

Reverse Proxy table ASE 15.0.2
Hi all, I have tried to make a reverse of proxy tables (ASE 15.0.2) with PD 12.5 ESD#16 but doesn't work, I believe ..... The proxy tables are reversed as normal tables. Is It correct that in reverse window don't appear the sheet "Remote Servers"? Thanks in advance Stefania ...

Blocks created on ASE Proxy Table when select/update
Hi, We have a proxy table that is being accessed from an IQ stored procedure. The procedure selects data as well as updates data into the proxy table. When the proc is run twice simultaneously, there is a block created on the ASE side..(select from one proc blocking update from another proc) Is there any way to change this behaviour?? The table is DataPages locked if that is of any use.... I'd want to start with finding out what query plan(s) are in use on the ASE side, along with the type of locks required to support said query plans (the SQL text, submitted by IQ to AS...

creation of proxy tables in IQ with remote ASE server
Hi, i want to create proxy tables in sybase IQ 12.6 windows with respect to sybase ASE 15.0.2 linux i create ASE remote server in IQ with the help of sybase central when i execute the following script in iq , create existing table <table_name>_proxy at '<remote ASE server>.<iq server>.<table_name>' i am getting error that remote ASE server name not found. thanks, sachin I believe the syntax of your statement is wrong. Qualify the remote ASE table by: at '<remote_ASE_server>.<ASE_dbname>.<ASE_...

Creating proxy table IQ to ASE
I have set the environment variables JDBC_HOME=C:\Program Files\Sybase\Shared\jConnect-5_5 CLASSPATH=%JDBC_HOME%\classes;%JDBC_HOME%\classes\jconn2.jar This is what I have entered in IQ isql - connected with jconnect 5 create server ase_proxy_server class 'asejdbc' using 'dbtest:5000/dbtst'; create existing table proxy_stock_trade at 'ase_proxy_server.dbtst.dbo.STOCK_TRADE'; I keep getting error ASA error -656 no suitable driver. Any suggestions? ...