ASE ; No DESC index elements?

I'm evaluating ASE as an upgrade from SQLA.  It appears as if ASC/DESC are
not supported in the creation of indexes?
How do people get around that limitation?

During joins, unlike SQLA, does ASE have the ability to use indexes from
multiple tables when the order by spans multiple tables?

Does ASE have Row Level Triggers?

Any problems with cascade updates and deletes?

Apparently ASE is less flexible from a case sensitivity standpoint?  What do
I have to watch out for in this area?

Thanks,
Jack Toering

0
Jack
6/16/1999 11:30:58 AM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Jack Toering wrote:

> I'm evaluating ASE as an upgrade from SQLA.
> It appears as if ASC/DESC are
> not supported in the creation of indexes?
> How do people get around that limitation?

Depends on the version.

Starting with ASE 11.5, there is an sp_configure option "allow backward
scans" that allows the server to scan an index either forward or
backward to avoid a worktable sort.  ASE 11.9.x supports the
specification of ASC/DESC for each column in the index.

Prior to that, the lack of ASC/DESC just meant the server would
have to use a work table to sort results when an ORDER BY or GROUP BY
was specified.

I would hope you are evaluating the 11.9.x version.  11.0.x is being
end-of-lifed 6/2000, 11.5.x in 12/2000.

> Does ASE have Row Level Triggers?

No.  Only table-level after-event triggers.

> Any problems with cascade updates and deletes?

Hm.  You do have to code them as triggers, rather than using the usual
referential integrity constrainst, but you can certainly do cascades.

> Apparently ASE is less flexible from a case sensitivity standpoint?

Don't know (cause I don't know ASA that well).  Case sensitivity in ASE
is determined server-wide based on the choice of default sort order for
the server.

--
Bret Halford
Sybase Technical Support