alter table of table A causes trigger on table B accesseng table A to fail

hi,
i recently faced a strange problem, i have two tables, table A and table
table A has a update trigger which updates data in table B.  i altered
table B to add two more columns.
after which when i updated table A(modifying 1 row), my tran log got
full. there was a threshold proc which got fired but it did'nt help
much.
i though the tables had been corrupted.  ran dbcc tablealloc on syslogs,
table A, table B, no errors.
Just to be sure I ran a dbcc checkdb, checkalloc and checkcatalog - no
errors
i recreated the trigger - no use.
dropped the trigger.  updated the table it went through.
created the trigger with only a print statement it went through
created the trigger with a 'select * from inserted' and it bombed. same
effect syslogs full.
all this time i am updating only one row.
i dropped the indexes and recreated them - no use
i finally did a 'select into' into another table. dropped table A,
recreated it.
recreated the indexes on it.  recreated the trigger on it.
re-ran the update statement and it went through.
this was sybase 10.0.2.1 on solaris
any ideas why this could have occured?
regards
-dinyar

0
Dinyar
1/29/1998 4:52:20 PM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Dinyar wrote:

> hi,
> i recently faced a strange problem, i have two tables, table A and table
> table A has a update trigger which updates data in table B.  i altered
> table B to add two more columns.
> after which when i updated table A(modifying 1 row), my tran log got
> full. there was a threshold proc which got fired but it did'nt help
> much.
> i though the tables had been corrupted.  ran dbcc tablealloc on syslogs,
> table A, table B, no errors.
> Just to be sure I ran a dbcc checkdb, checkalloc and checkcatalog - no
> errors
> i recreated the trigger - no use.
> dropped the trigger.  updated the table it went through.
> created the trigger with only a print statement it went through
> created the trigger with a 'select * from inserted' and it bombed. same
> effect syslogs full.
> all this time i am updating only one row.
> i dropped the indexes and recreated them - no use
> i finally did a 'select into' into another table. dropped table A,
> recreated it.
> recreated the indexes on it.  recreated the trigger on it.
> re-ran the update statement and it went through.
> this was sybase 10.0.2.1 on solaris
> any ideas why this could have occured?
> regards
> -dinyar

What error message(s) did you receive?

You mention that the log was full, right?  Did you figure out why your
log was full and the threshold proc did no good?

Once you got your trigger working ... did you log have room in it at
this point?

I'm wondering if your problem is just related to a full log????
--

Mark Parsons
Iron Horse, Inc.

Mark A. Parsons wrote:

> Dinyar wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > i recently faced a strange problem, i have two tables, table A and table
> > table A has a update trigger which updates data in table B.  i altered
> > table B to add two more columns.
> > after which when i updated table A(modifying 1 row), my tran log got
> > full. there was a threshold proc which got fired but it did'nt help
> > much.
> > i though the tables had been corrupted.  ran dbcc tablealloc on syslogs,
> > table A, table B, no errors.
> > Just to be sure I ran a dbcc checkdb, checkalloc and checkcatalog - no
> > errors
> > i recreated the trigger - no use.
> > dropped the trigger.  updated the table it went through.
> > created the trigger with only a print statement it went through
> > created the trigger with a 'select * from inserted' and it bombed. same
> > effect syslogs full.
> > all this time i am updating only one row.
> > i dropped the indexes and recreated them - no use
> > i finally did a 'select into' into another table. dropped table A,
> > recreated it.
> > recreated the indexes on it.  recreated the trigger on it.
> > re-ran the update statement and it went through.
> > this was sybase 10.0.2.1 on solaris
> > any ideas why this could have occured?
> > regards
> > -dinyar
>
> What error message(s) did you receive?
>
> You mention that the log was full, right?  Did you figure out why your
> log was full and the threshold proc did no good?
>
> Once you got your trigger working ... did you log have room in it at
> this point?
>
> I'm wondering if your problem is just related to a full log????
> --
>
> Mark Parsons
> Iron Horse, Inc.
> [Team Sybase]

0
Dinyar

Web resources about - alter table of table A causes trigger on table B accesseng table A to fail - sybase.sqlserver.general