upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on NT

We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully
from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.  In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have
their own variables.  We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2,  but opposite
the way sybase handles this in version 12.  We have set our SYBASE variable
to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of
ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192).    We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the
change to our variables has caused a snag.  We would like to be consistant
across all platforms.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dana

0
Dana
12/12/2000 4:12:46 PM
sybase.sqlserver.configuration 393 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Dana R Jones wrote:

> We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully
> from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.  In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have
> their own variables.  We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2,  but opposite
> the way sybase handles this in version 12.  We have set our SYBASE variable
> to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of
> ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192).    We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the
> change to our variables has caused a snag.  We would like to be consistant
> across all platforms.

	I would think that doing it the way ASE 12 does it would be the
	simplest approach. I'm not sure how its done on NT, but what is
	the snag you've come across?

-am
0
Anthony
12/13/2000 10:57:12 AM
We took our approach before we knew that Sybase would be going in the
opposite direction than we did in version 12 .  We chose to set SYBASE to
the open client software because we felt that it would be accessed more than
the ase software.  The main thing we use ASE software for is starting the
server.  Everything else comes from the open client path (bcp, isql,
interfaces file, etc). The problem we have is that since we have set SYBASE
to our open client path when we go to start the services, SYBASE is set to
open client not ASE  therefore we can not properly start the services.  This
was much easier in an Unix environment because we could temporarily set
SYBASE within a script.

Thanks,
Dana

Anthony Mandic wrote in message ...

> I would think that doing it the way ASE 12 does it would be the
> simplest approach. I'm not sure how its done on NT, but what is
> the snag you've come across?
>
>-am

>Dana R Jones wrote:
>>
>> We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms
successfully
>> from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.  In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have
>> their own variables.  We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2,  but
opposite
>> the way sybase handles this in version 12.  We have set our SYBASE
variable
>> to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path
of
>> ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192).    We need to upgrade our servers on NT but
the
>> change to our variables has caused a snag.  We would like to be
consistant
>> across all platforms.

0
Dana
12/14/2000 2:59:50 PM
Dana R Jones wrote:

> We took our approach before we knew that Sybase would be going in the
> opposite direction than we did in version 12 .  We chose to set SYBASE to
> the open client software because we felt that it would be accessed more than
> the ase software.  The main thing we use ASE software for is starting the
> server.  Everything else comes from the open client path (bcp, isql,
> interfaces file, etc). The problem we have is that since we have set SYBASE
> to our open client path when we go to start the services, SYBASE is set to
> open client not ASE  therefore we can not properly start the services.  This
> was much easier in an Unix environment because we could temporarily set
> SYBASE within a script.

	On NT, does running Sybase as a service mean that the RUN scripts
	are executed? If so, is it possible to set the variables you want
	within these scripts?

-am
0
Anthony
12/15/2000 3:25:07 AM
It is more like a config file.  Much different than Runserver file on Unix
platform!!Do you have NT experience??
Anthony Mandic wrote in message ...

On NT, does running Sybase as a service mean that the RUN scripts
> are executed? If so, is it possible to set the variables you want
> within these scripts?
>
>-am

>Dana R Jones wrote:
>>
>> We took our approach before we knew that Sybase would be going in the
>> opposite direction than we did in version 12 .  We chose to set SYBASE to
>> the open client software because we felt that it would be accessed more
than
>> the ase software.  The main thing we use ASE software for is starting the
>> server.  Everything else comes from the open client path (bcp, isql,
>> interfaces file, etc). The problem we have is that since we have set
SYBASE
>> to our open client path when we go to start the services, SYBASE is set
>> open client not ASE  therefore we can not properly start the services.
This
>> was much easier in an Unix environment because we could temporarily set
>> SYBASE within a script.

0
Dana
12/15/2000 7:54:00 PM
Dana R Jones wrote:

> It is more like a config file.  Much different than Runserver file on Unix
> platform!!Do you have NT experience??

	Very little. Have you tried asking in the NT newsgroup here?

-am
0
Anthony
12/16/2000 9:02:09 AM
One thing to try is to change the registry to have it run a BAT file and not the
EXE.  In the BAT file, you can SET the SYBASE environment variable there.  This
is one shortfall that Sybase took on NT - to directly run the EXE instead of a
BAT file.  The RUN File itself could be run and parameters passed into it.

John McVicker
Inventa Technologies, Inc.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:02:09 +1100,
 in sybase.public.sqlserver.upgrades+configuration
Anthony Mandic <amandic@*t.com.au> wrote:
>Dana R Jones wrote:
>>
>> It is more like a config file.  Much different than Runserver file on Unix
>> platform!!Do you have NT experience??
>
>	Very little. Have you tried asking in the NT newsgroup here?
>
>-am

John

11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 upgrade on NT
We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2. In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have their own variables. We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2, but opposite the way sybase handles this in version 12. We have set our SYBASE variable to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192). We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the change to our variables has caused a snag. We would like to be consistant across all platforms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreci...

Error after upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.3
We have upgraded our production Sybase servers to 11.9.2 from 11.0.3.3 last weekend and we applied ebf9160 All went well except for an error in the errorlog as follows NT operating system error 2 in module 'e:\rel1192\porttree\svr\sql\generic\ksource\strmio\n_winsock.c' at line 3481: The system cannot find the file specified. kernel nl__connect: Could not connect to site 'VUA_S2002_XP', socket 1. This error did not occur when we tested the upgrade on our test servers. There appears to be no problems with the overall install, everything works fine - except for t...

Upgrade from 11.0.3.3 SQL Server to 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Upgrading from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on Linux
Hi, I've downloaded the 11.9.2 Linux versino of Sybase and want to upgrade an existing installation from 11.0.3.3 to this more up to date version. The documentation refers to an executable on the cd called sybsetup, however, I've downloaded the rpm files off the web and don't have a sybsetup executable. When I try to install the rpm for 11.9.2 it tells me that there is already an earlier version of Sybase installed. Can anyone tell me how to get around this! >rpm -ivh sybase-ase-11.9.2-3.i386.rpm error: failed dependencies: sybase-ase < 11.9.2 conflicts ...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.1
Hello ASE guru, We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the sybsystemprocs database was extended by 2 MB on master device. (before upgrade size was 120 MB and after upgrade the size is 122MB) Is this a normal behavior of upgrade? any harm in leaving 2 MB on master device? Will upgrade fail if there is no room for this 2 MB on master device? Thanks for your help. kp wrote: > We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the You'd want to get the latest EBF and get it up to 11.9.2.3. > sybsystemprocs da...

Performance degrades: 11.0.3.3 upgraded to 11.9.2
We recently upgraded a test server from ASE 11.0.3 on HP-UX 10.20 to ASE 11.9.2 on HP-UX 11.0. We have a query that runs in 15 min in production (11.0.3) an 60 minutes in test (11.9.2). Another query runs for 20 min in production and has yet to finish in test (11.9.2). We did update all statistics on the tables and have recompiled the stored procedures. Any help, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Georgette M. Geotsi DaimlerChrysler Capital Services GGeotsi@DCXCapital.com GGeotsi@dcxcapital.com wrote: > > We recently upgraded a test server from ASE ...

Opinions needed for Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2
I will soon be upgrading out 11.0.3.3(NT) db to 11.9.2(NT). Our SQL servers support a powerbuilder 6.5 application which uses Open Client 10.0.4 Upon installing 11.9.2 will i also need to upgrade open client on each client machine. Or will 10.0.4 still be usable? Having 120 (win2000) machines to upgrade has anyone had success pushing them out thru SMS(which our Central IT dept manages). I am hoping to avoid purchasing any additional software to do this. All suggestions are appreciated! (note that hotmail.mom needs to be hotmail.com if replying via email) In article <5...

upgrade ASE from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on AIX
Hi, We are planning to upgrade our SQL Server 11.0.3.3 servers to ASE 11.9.2. We have 6 production servers on one UNIX box and (almost) corresponding test servers on another UNIX box. We have little new development, so we should have enough time to test things out first on the TEST platform. I am trying to decide between upgrading the servers in place or doing new installs and migrating the data over to the new servers. The upgrades in place would be a lot easier on me and the UNIX support people, but I am not sure how much more difficult fallback would be. If we needed to fall...

11.0.3.2 vs 11.0.3.3
Dear All, I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? Best Regards, Colin Colin wrote: > > Dear All, > > I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I > have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is > it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? > Just a number of bugfixes. I don't believe any of them are Y2K rel...

NT Appication Problem When Upgrading ASE 11.0.3 to 11.9.2
Hi We have recently upgraded from ASE 11.0.3 to ASE 11.9.2 on HP-UX 10.20. We are using Sybase 11 ODBC 3.11.00.01 on NT 4.0. And we are using libxxx.dll from Sybase 11. Below is the problem which we are unable to solve: We have a 3rd Party application which was build using VC++, Sybase O/C and ODBC. Since it is 3rd party application I don't know which version of Sybase O/C they used for the build. This application is working fine on ASE 11.0.3, but not working with ASE 11.9.2. Unfortunately one of the important screen of the application is not working and it has only ...

Upgrade from 11.0.3.2 to ASE 11.9.2
I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2. However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02) says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from 10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later). We are currently using 11.0.3.2. Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2? I will appreciate if someone clarify this. Thanks. CGS tcgs@hotmail.com CGS wrote: > > I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade...

Warmstandby between 11.0.3.3 and 11.9.2
Is any one tried creating standby connection between ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2? Yes. It works but you have to use an ltm if your primary is 11.0.3.3. garcia banu wrote: > Is any one tried creating standby connection between ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE > 11.9.2? ...

RFI
Hi, Is it worth going to 11.5.1 considering 11.9.2 is out? I'm looking for information about upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.5.1 or 11.9.2 on HP-UX. Looking for advice, tips & tricks, pitfalls, etc I'm also interested in other peoples exeriances with 11.5.1 and 11.9.2 with regaurds to performance, stability, bugs & problems. thanks in advance Andrew. -- The views expressed are those of the author, not necessarily of Innovus Limited. Andrew, When I took the "Powering-up for ASE 11.5" class from Syba...

Web resources about - upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on NT - sybase.sqlserver.configuration

H-1 upgrade program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The H-1 upgrade program refers to the United States Marine Corps 's program to develop the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1Y Venom to replace its aging fleets ...

Tumblr Referrals From Facebook Up 2.5X Following Upgrade For Timeline
Since upgrading for timeline and launching with open graph in April, Tumblr has seen its referral traffic from Facebook rise by more than 2.5 ...

Facebook Platform Upgrade Guide
Upgrade instructions for Facebook's platform across versions.

Facebook Allows Users to Upgrade to the New Messages Product, Why You Should
Some users are seeing a prompt when they visit their Facebook Messages inbox allowing them to upgrade to the New Messages product launched in ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh julia @ d0gbones 3m I laughed at the call handler when he told me it'd be £400 to stay on my current price plan and upgrade ...

Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Desktop Audio Upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I needed some new speakers for my desktop computer system at home. I've been tolerating JBL creature 2.1 system for a couple of years now and ...

EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube
EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube