Upgrade from 11.0.3.2 to ASE 11.9.2

I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to
11.9.2.
However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID =
72410-01-1192-02)
says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and
later).  We are
currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
server to 11.0.3.3
(from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?

I will appreciate if someone clarify this.

Thanks.

CGS
tcgs@hotmail.com



0
CGS
4/5/1999 4:19:23 PM
sybase.sqlserver.configuration 393 articles. 0 followers. Follow

9 Replies
986 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

CGS wrote:
> 
> I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2.
> However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02)
> says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later)."

	Yeah, that's what it says.

> We are currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
> server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?

	Going from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.3.3 is only a matter of installing
	an EBF. In other words, its relatively minor. But if its any consolation,
	I just upgraded from 11.0.2.2 to 11.9.2 without any problems (yet).

-am
0
Anthony
4/6/1999 8:54:41 AM
Anthony Mandic wrote:
> 
> CGS wrote:
> >
> > I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2.
> > However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02)
> > says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later)."
> 
>         Yeah, that's what it says.
> 
> > We are currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
> > server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?
> 
>         Going from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.3.3 is only a matter of installing
>         an EBF. In other words, its relatively minor. But if its any consolation,
>         I just upgraded from 11.0.2.2 to 11.9.2 without any problems (yet).
> 
> -am

The docs are a bit misleading, you can upgrade from any 10.0.2.x.
11.0.x, 11.5.x release to 11.9.2.

We have asked for the release bulletins to be updated to correct this,
but I do not believe that this has occured yet.

Regards,
lance
team sybase
-- 
===============================================================================
Lance J. Andersen			Email: lancea@sybase.com 
Sybase Product Support Engineering	Phone:(781) 564-6336 
77 South Bedford Street			Fax:  (781) 564-6148
Burlington, MA 01803                    

The Dark Knight Returns!!!              Let's Go Penguins!!!
===============================================================================
0
Lance
4/6/1999 11:56:31 AM
Lance Andersen wrote:
> 
> Anthony Mandic wrote:
> >
> > CGS wrote:
> > >
> > > I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2.
> > > However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02)
> > > says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later)."
> >
> >         Yeah, that's what it says.
> >
> > > We are currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
> > > server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?
> >
> >         Going from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.3.3 is only a matter of installing
> >         an EBF. In other words, its relatively minor. But if its any consolation,
> >         I just upgraded from 11.0.2.2 to 11.9.2 without any problems (yet).
> 
> The docs are a bit misleading, you can upgrade from any 10.0.2.x.
> 11.0.x, 11.5.x release to 11.9.2.

	I suspected that might have been the case. My tests so far haven't
	revealed any problems. However, I didn't do an in-place upgrade
	but rather a new install with a load of database dumps from the
	old system.

-am
0
Anthony
4/7/1999 3:38:47 AM
Anthony Mandic wrote:
> 
> Lance Andersen wrote:
> >
> > Anthony Mandic wrote:
> > >
> > > CGS wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2.
> > > > However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02)
> > > > says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later)."
> > >
> > >         Yeah, that's what it says.
> > >
> > > > We are currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
> > > > server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?
> > >
> > >         Going from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.3.3 is only a matter of installing
> > >         an EBF. In other words, its relatively minor. But if its any consolation,
> > >         I just upgraded from 11.0.2.2 to 11.9.2 without any problems (yet).
> >
> > The docs are a bit misleading, you can upgrade from any 10.0.2.x.
> > 11.0.x, 11.5.x release to 11.9.2.
> 
>         I suspected that might have been the case. My tests so far haven't
>         revealed any problems. However, I didn't do an in-place upgrade
>         but rather a new install with a load of database dumps from the
>         old system.
> 
> -am

In place upgrades should be fine as well. One of my colleagues and I
cleaned up quite a few 'gotchas' in the external upgrade program.  We
have since backported these fixes to the latest flavors of 11.5.x and
11.0.3.3.

Hopefully this will make everyones lives a bit easier...

Lance
team sybase
-- 
===============================================================================
Lance J. Andersen			Email: lancea@sybase.com 
Sybase Product Support Engineering	Phone:(781) 564-6336 
77 South Bedford Street			Fax:  (781) 564-6148
Burlington, MA 01803                    

The Dark Knight Returns!!!              Let's Go Penguins!!!
===============================================================================
0
Lance
4/7/1999 11:53:47 AM
Anthony,
Upgrade in place is very similar to what happens when you
load an older DB into a newer server.  The online database
command enables the internal upgrade process triggered by 
the upgrade program, so really, not much happens "outside"
the ASE server upon running the upgrade in place.

John McVicker
Sybase Professional Services
Philadelphia, PA

Anthony Mandic wrote:
> 
> Lance Andersen wrote:
> >
> > Anthony Mandic wrote:
> > >
> > > CGS wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I've seen different postings claiming that 11.0.3 can directly upgrade to 11.9.2.
> > > > However, the release bulletin for Sybase ASE 11.9.2 (Doc ID = 72410-01-1192-02)
> > > > says that "You can upgrade 11.9.2 only from  10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5 and later)."
> > >
> > >         Yeah, that's what it says.
> > >
> > > > We are currently using 11.0.3.2.  Does it mean that I will have to upgrade our
> > > > server to 11.0.3.3 (from 11.0.3.2) before I can migrate to ASE 11.9.2?
> > >
> > >         Going from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.3.3 is only a matter of installing
> > >         an EBF. In other words, its relatively minor. But if its any consolation,
> > >         I just upgraded from 11.0.2.2 to 11.9.2 without any problems (yet).
> >
> > The docs are a bit misleading, you can upgrade from any 10.0.2.x.
> > 11.0.x, 11.5.x release to 11.9.2.
> 
>         I suspected that might have been the case. My tests so far haven't
>         revealed any problems. However, I didn't do an in-place upgrade
>         but rather a new install with a load of database dumps from the
>         old system.
> 
> -am
0
John
4/8/1999 2:34:53 AM
John McVicker wrote:

> Upgrade in place is very similar to what happens when you
> load an older DB into a newer server.  The online database
> command enables the internal upgrade process triggered by
> the upgrade program, so really, not much happens "outside"
> the ASE server upon running the upgrade in place.

	Whilst this is true, the issue is a little more complex
	that that. I am thinking of the system databases in
	particular. The smaller device sizes of these databases
	in earlier server versions can be problematic, for example.

	I uncovered a problem last year with tempdb. A server at
	11.0.2.1 was upgraded to 11.5.1. It had the option "allow
	nulls by default" set in tempdb. This didn't cause a
	problem on that server, but when I created a new install
	of 11.5.1 and set that option in tempdb, PC clients would
	GPF in kernel32.dll with Infomaker. My assumption was that
	the databases themselves weren't entirely identical (or
	rather the model databases weren't entirely identical). I
	eventually got the developers to admit that the option wasn't
	required. Once turned off, the problem with Infomaker disappeared.

	I also recall a comment you made in a recent post about
	sysgams. All in all, I prefer to create new system databases
	and the load in the user databases (it also allows me to keep
	the old system databases in case I need to revert back to them).

-am
0
Anthony
4/8/1999 4:15:17 AM
Lance Andersen wrote:

> In place upgrades should be fine as well. One of my colleagues and I
> cleaned up quite a few 'gotchas' in the external upgrade program.  We
> have since backported these fixes to the latest flavors of 11.5.x and
> 11.0.3.3.
> 
> Hopefully this will make everyones lives a bit easier...

	Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on the gotchas? I'm
	particularly interested in upgrades of the system databases.
	With the fixes, are we guaranteed that an upgraded master
	database would now be identical to a new installation
	(excluding user-added data, of course)?

-am
0
Anthony
4/8/1999 4:22:54 AM
Anthony Mandic wrote:
> 
> Lance Andersen wrote:
> 
> > In place upgrades should be fine as well. One of my colleagues and I
> > cleaned up quite a few 'gotchas' in the external upgrade program.  We
> > have since backported these fixes to the latest flavors of 11.5.x and
> > 11.0.3.3.
> >
> > Hopefully this will make everyones lives a bit easier...
> 
>         Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on the gotchas? I'm
>         particularly interested in upgrades of the system databases.
>         With the fixes, are we guaranteed that an upgraded master
>         database would now be identical to a new installation
>         (excluding user-added data, of course)?
> 
> -am

Let me dig up the exact CR numbers and I will post them back here
tommorrow.

lance
team sybase
-- 
===============================================================================
Lance J. Andersen			Email: lancea@sybase.com 
Sybase Product Support Engineering	Phone:(781) 564-6336 
77 South Bedford Street			Fax:  (781) 564-6148
Burlington, MA 01803                    

The Dark Knight Returns!!!              Let's Go Penguins!!!
===============================================================================
0
Lance
4/8/1999 4:15:28 PM
Lance Andersen wrote:

> Let me dig up the exact CR numbers and I will post them back here
> tommorrow.

	Hey, great! I'll look out for them. Thanks.

-am
0
Anthony
4/9/1999 12:36:57 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

upgrade ASE from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on AIX
Hi, We are planning to upgrade our SQL Server 11.0.3.3 servers to ASE 11.9.2. We have 6 production servers on one UNIX box and (almost) corresponding test servers on another UNIX box. We have little new development, so we should have enough time to test things out first on the TEST platform. I am trying to decide between upgrading the servers in place or doing new installs and migrating the data over to the new servers. The upgrades in place would be a lot easier on me and the UNIX support people, but I am not sure how much more difficult fallback would be. If we needed to fall...

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

SQLRemote Problem with 7.0.2-1 and 6.0.2-1 on Linux [ASE 11.9.2-3 and ASE 12.5 eval]
Hi all I got the following problems using sql-remote. on ASE 12.5 eval: I got the following RPMs installed on RedHat Linux 7.2 - Kernel 2.4.17 - glibc-2.2.4 sybase-ase-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-common-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-openclient-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-sqlremote-7.0.2-1.i386.rpm After the execution of ssxtract or ssremote I got an error like: ../ssxtract: /opt/sybase-12.5/SQLRemote/lib/libsstasks7_r.so: version `libdbtasks7_r.so' not found (required by ./ssxtract) The file libsstasks7_r.so exists and the path is correctly specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. There'...

Upgrade from 11.0.3.3 SQL Server to 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ...

Error after upgrade from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.3
We have upgraded our production Sybase servers to 11.9.2 from 11.0.3.3 last weekend and we applied ebf9160 All went well except for an error in the errorlog as follows NT operating system error 2 in module 'e:\rel1192\porttree\svr\sql\generic\ksource\strmio\n_winsock.c' at line 3481: The system cannot find the file specified. kernel nl__connect: Could not connect to site 'VUA_S2002_XP', socket 1. This error did not occur when we tested the upgrade on our test servers. There appears to be no problems with the overall install, everything works fine - except for t...

Can I upgrade to versoin 11.9.2 from 11.0.3 on Soloris 2.6 ?
Hi: Can I upgrade to versoin 11.9.2 from 11.0.3 on Soloris 2.6 ? Christina Yes. Regards /Anton Christina <liruchen@netscape.net> wrote in message news:zSmiZiy3#GA.238@forums.sybase.com... > Hi: > Can I upgrade to versoin 11.9.2 from 11.0.3 on Soloris 2.6 ? > Christina > > Why not? I'm not using Solaris but HPUX, but the upgrade options got to be the same. Simply run the 'sqlupgrade' program from the bin directory, that should take your 11.0.3.x server to 11.9.2. -Philip Christina <liruchen@netscape.net>...

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

Downgrade from 11.0.3.2 to 11.0.2.2
Greetings! Could anyone list out the procedure to downgrade the the SQL Server from 11.0.3.2 and 11.0.2.2. I installed 11.0.3.2 on a separate directory and did the upgradation. I just want to prepare in advance to go back to 11.0.2.2 in case we face any problems with the new release. Thanks, - John John Smith wrote: > > Greetings! > > Could anyone list out the procedure to downgrade the the SQL Server from > 11.0.3.2 and > 11.0.2.2. I installed 11.0.3.2 on a separate directory and did the > upgradation. > I just want to prepare in advance to go...

Download Database from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 11.0.2 ?
Dear All: We have a Sybase ASE11.9.2 on Window NT, and we already run some application on it about 6 months. Since the third party software we use cann't support ASE11.9.2, we must use ASE 11.0.2. Can we just backup the database of ASE11.9.2 then restore the backup database to ASE11.0.2 ? Has it any problem ? Or, We must do following procedure. 1) bcp out the data from ASE11.9.2 2) create the database on ASE11.0.2 3) bcp in the 1) data to ASE11.0.2 Can anyone tell me?? Teresa Young Teresa, The problem with dump and load is that the log format in 11.9.2 is much diff...

NT Appication Problem When Upgrading ASE 11.0.3 to 11.9.2
Hi We have recently upgraded from ASE 11.0.3 to ASE 11.9.2 on HP-UX 10.20. We are using Sybase 11 ODBC 3.11.00.01 on NT 4.0. And we are using libxxx.dll from Sybase 11. Below is the problem which we are unable to solve: We have a 3rd Party application which was build using VC++, Sybase O/C and ODBC. Since it is 3rd party application I don't know which version of Sybase O/C they used for the build. This application is working fine on ASE 11.0.3, but not working with ASE 11.9.2. Unfortunately one of the important screen of the application is not working and it has only ...

Upgrade 11.0.2 to 11.9.2
Hi. A long while back I noticed that the "official" Sybase documentation seemed to state that the proper upgrade path from 11.0.2 to 11.9.2 was to go through 11.5 first. For example, I'm looking at my 11.9.2 Release Bulletin, page 9, which specifies that I can upgrade to 11.9.2 only from 10.0.2.7, 11.0.3.3, 11.5, 11.5.1, or 11.91. No mention of 11.0.2. However, more recently I've seen info (primarily on the newsgroup) that seems to say I can go directly from 11.0.2 to 11.9.2. Is this generally considered to be true? Thanks. - John. John Flynn wrote: ...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.1
Hello ASE guru, We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the sybsystemprocs database was extended by 2 MB on master device. (before upgrade size was 120 MB and after upgrade the size is 122MB) Is this a normal behavior of upgrade? any harm in leaving 2 MB on master device? Will upgrade fail if there is no room for this 2 MB on master device? Thanks for your help. kp wrote: > We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the You'd want to get the latest EBF and get it up to 11.9.2.3. > sybsystemprocs da...

11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 upgrade on NT
We have currently upgraded several servers on HP/SUN platforms successfully from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2. In 12 sybase splits open client and ASE to have their own variables. We did this with our upgrade to 11.9.2, but opposite the way sybase handles this in version 12. We have set our SYBASE variable to the path of open client (/appl/sybase/oc/1111) and SYB_SRV to the path of ASE(/appl/sybase/ase/1192). We need to upgrade our servers on NT but the change to our variables has caused a snag. We would like to be consistant across all platforms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreci...

Web resources about - Upgrade from 11.0.3.2 to ASE 11.9.2 - sybase.sqlserver.configuration

H-1 upgrade program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The H-1 upgrade program refers to the United States Marine Corps 's program to develop the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1Y Venom to replace its aging fleets ...


Tumblr Referrals From Facebook Up 2.5X Following Upgrade For Timeline
Since upgrading for timeline and launching with open graph in April, Tumblr has seen its referral traffic from Facebook rise by more than 2.5 ...

Update on Android Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades
HTC has been working hard to get its Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades ready, and we’re excited to announce that our first round of ICS upgrades will ...

Facebook Platform Upgrade Guide
Upgrade instructions for Facebook's platform across versions.

Facebook Allows Users to Upgrade to the New Messages Product, Why You Should
Some users are seeing a prompt when they visit their Facebook Messages inbox allowing them to upgrade to the New Messages product launched in ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh julia @ d0gbones 3m I laughed at the call handler when he told me it'd be £400 to stay on my current price plan and upgrade ...

Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Desktop Audio Upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I needed some new speakers for my desktop computer system at home. I've been tolerating JBL creature 2.1 system for a couple of years now and ...

EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube
EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube

Resources last updated: 12/28/2015 7:08:21 PM