Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5

Hello,

I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5
server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The
database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's
etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log,
with standard segmentation. It's relatively small.

I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and
the following:

- Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE
11.5 server, and of course the database itself.
- Generate DDL with Sybase Central on the ASE 11.9.2 server and then run
this on the ASE 11.5 server. (Can this be done without modifying the
DDL?)
- BCP over all the data from the User tables. (System tables too?)
- Create the logins from the ASE 11.9.2 server on the ASE 11.5 server
(with the correct roles where appropriate), and then match the suid's in
master..syslogins with <database_name>..sysusers.

Now my question(s) are:

- IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO DO THIS? And if so what is it?

If not, I have a few other questions:

- If I do BCP tables, can/should I also BCP the system tables into the
new database? And then, which ones? I'm especially concerned about
keeping the users and their permissions.
- Are there other things I should consider aside from the facts
mentioned above?

Please note that I am a Junior Sybase DBA, and I usually work with
Sybase 11.0.3.3 on HP-UX and AIX. I don't have much experience with ASE
11.9.2 and ASE 11.5.

Thanks,

Rene van Glabbeek

0
Rene
1/18/2000 7:29:21 PM
sybase.sqlserver.backup 609 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Rene van Glabbeek wrote:

> I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5
> server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The
> database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's
> etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log,
> with standard segmentation. It's relatively small.
>
> I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and

	That's correct. Dump versions aren't backwardly compatible.

> Now I figure I have to do the following:
>
> - Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE
> 11.5 server, and of course the database itself.

	This isn't really necessary. Since you can't use dump/load, you
	don't have to make the layouts similar. You can if you expect
	it to be the same size, but you could make it smaller or larger.
	The names need not be the same either, but you may need to
	massage your DDL to suit.

> - Generate DDL with Sybase Central on the ASE 11.9.2 server and then run
> this on the ASE 11.5 server. (Can this be done without modifying the
> DDL?)

	It should work, unless T-SQL features specific to ASE 11.9.2
	were used (this should be things like row level locking and
	its related commands). Just scan the script or load it and
	see if you get any errors.

> - BCP over all the data from the User tables. (System tables too?)

	Just user tables. There are other mechanisms of migrating data
	over too - rep server, CIS etc. bcp may be your only option
	though. DBArtisan can do most of the work for you too.

> - Create the logins from the ASE 11.9.2 server on the ASE 11.5 server
> (with the correct roles where appropriate), and then match the suid's in
> master..syslogins with <database_name>..sysusers.

	If you bcp over the syslogins contents (I'm not sure if the formats
	are back compat too), you can still add users to the db with
	sp_adduser. It will get the right suid. You could bcp over sysusers
	(but be careful).

> Now my question(s) are:
>
> - IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO DO THIS? And if so what is it?

	See above (but they aren't really some much better).

> If not, I have a few other questions:
>
> - If I do BCP tables, can/should I also BCP the system tables into the
> new database?

	No. You may need to recreate user premissions. Do you have your
	source scripts?

> - Are there other things I should consider aside from the facts
> mentioned above?

	That's about it.

> Please note that I am a Junior Sybase DBA, and I usually work with
> Sybase 11.0.3.3 on HP-UX and AIX. I don't have much experience with ASE
> 11.9.2 and ASE 11.5.

	The newer versions should be OK (just check the DDL and look
	for errors). You should be OK if you understand the mechanics.
	Test everything when you are done (with your apps etc.). Be
	prepared to do one or two test runs first, if you have the time.

-am
0
Anthony

Download Database from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 11.0.2 ?
Dear All: We have a Sybase ASE11.9.2 on Window NT, and we already run some application on it about 6 months. Since the third party software we use cann't support ASE11.9.2, we must use ASE 11.0.2. Can we just backup the database of ASE11.9.2 then restore the backup database to ASE11.0.2 ? Has it any problem ? Or, We must do following procedure. 1) bcp out the data from ASE11.9.2 2) create the database on ASE11.0.2 3) bcp in the 1) data to ASE11.0.2 Can anyone tell me?? Teresa Young Teresa, The problem with dump and load is that the log format in 11.9.2 is much diff...

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

ASE 12 running with ASE 11.9.2 and RS 11.5
Hi, I have a customer that asks the following question: "Are there any issues running Sybase 32 and 64 bit applications on the same box? What about replication? Is it possible for us to upgrade to 12 repserver and dataserver on our central complex and continue to run 11.5 repserver/11.9.2 dataserver at remotes?" I would think that this configuration would be ok, but I thought I'd better verify it. Thanks, Pat Proft Alliance Support Pat Proft wrote: > Hi, > I have a customer that asks the following question:...

convert float to char (ASE 11.9.2 , ASE 11.9.3)
declare @n float select @n = 12.001 select convert(varchar(20), @n) go isql returned -------------------- 12.000999999999999 Why? MS SQL 6.5 returns 12.001 Thanks Ivan Rubinov This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------B8833FC9B364722D034F7974 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit First, when converting from an imprecise numeric (FLOAT, REAL) you should be using the str() function, rather than convert. The floating point datatype cannot store 12.001 exactly. The convert is displaying the value that is ...

ASE 11.5, 11.9.2?
Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux? Will fixes to the current release be made available? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------EBDC13D328A20FE4F7626E93 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Paul Mapstone wrote: > Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux? Will > fixes to the current release be made available? Hi Paul, I do not know. Contact your Sybase sales representative and request it. Jason --------------EBDC13D328A20FE4F7626E93 Content-Type: text/x-v...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Solaris 5.6
Does anyone have problems upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.0 on Solaris 5.6. I know that are issues with upgrading on Solaris 2.5, but what about Solaris 5.6? Thanks, Hang ...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

SQLRemote Problem with 7.0.2-1 and 6.0.2-1 on Linux [ASE 11.9.2-3 and ASE 12.5 eval]
Hi all I got the following problems using sql-remote. on ASE 12.5 eval: I got the following RPMs installed on RedHat Linux 7.2 - Kernel 2.4.17 - glibc-2.2.4 sybase-ase-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-common-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-openclient-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-sqlremote-7.0.2-1.i386.rpm After the execution of ssxtract or ssremote I got an error like: ../ssxtract: /opt/sybase-12.5/SQLRemote/lib/libsstasks7_r.so: version `libdbtasks7_r.so' not found (required by ./ssxtract) The file libsstasks7_r.so exists and the path is correctly specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. There'...

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

Problems in upgrading ASE 11.5 to 11.9.2
Currently, we use ASE 11.5 and then install 11.9.2 to upgrade the server. After installing all components of ASE, I can't open the databases in Sybase Central, it prompts : "Changed database context to 'master'. Invalid system table given for status update, this is an internal error" And then we tried to upgrade the server by selecting the option of server configure. In the upgrade progress, it asks whether to back up the database or not, we select Ok to continue. After a moment, it prompts: "Server "OPR" fail preupgrade eligibility tes. See ...

ASE 12.5 restore from ASE 11.9.2
I have created a 12.5 server with 8K page size. When tried to restore an 11.9.2 database into the 12.5 server I received the following message: Msg 3248, Level 16, State 1: Server 'TEST', Line 1: LOAD DATABASE / TRANSACTION failed because of page size incompatibility. The current page size is 8192, and the page size in the dump is 2048. I understand that the upgrade can only be done from 2K page size to 2K page size server. What are the alternative methods for migration? Are there options, other than bcp? Thanks, Tariq Tariq wrote... > I have created a 12.5 se...

Upgrade of ASE from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2
We have replication running against 50 SQL Anywhere v 5.4 sites. It has been running for approx 1 1/2 years. We are upgrading our ASE (the consolidated db) from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2. Has anyone experienced any problems when upgrading the consolidated db with ongoing replication? Shouldn't be an issue. We created some tech docs on Upgrading ASE's that are involved with SQL Remote. I highly suggest you look for those to follow. You don't want to make any mistakes. Let us know if you can't find one that seems appropriate. -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Sol...

Upgrade from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5
we are on solaris 8 and would like to upgrade from 11.9 to 12.5. our dba is left and i need to do this. i very novice in dba skill. can someone give me exact stepps how to do this? i read other post but dont under stand where to start. also what is meaning of inplace upgrade?thanks SybaseDeveloper wrote... > we are on solaris 8 and would like to upgrade from 11.9 to 12.5. > our dba is left and i need to do this. i very novice in dba skill. > can someone give me exact stepps how to do this? i read other post but dont > under stand where to start. also what is meaning of i...

Web resources about - Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5 - sybase.sqlserver.backup

Morrison defends transferring asylum seekers
Scott Morrison has defended transferring 157 asylum-seekers to Nauru without the knowledge of their lawyers.

Transferring properties to my SMSF
What are the rules about transferring properties I own to my SMSF?

Alabama quarterback Phillip Ely is transferring to Toledo - al.com
... Illinois and Boston College were among the other schools he considered, according to his father. TUSCALOOSA, Alabama Phillip Ely is transferring ...

Syria: Peace talks not for transferring power
Foreign minister says government will take part in planned Geneva talks to form a "national unity government".

Transferring Information to a New BlackBerry
Q: Has anyone found a way to transfer saved emails, saved calendar entries and saved memos from older BlackBerrys, like the Bold, to the new ...

Dish Anywhere Will Soon Include Content Transferring For All iOS Devices
... Black Friday Apple Deals Announced From Best Buy, Walmart . DISH Anywhere Hopper Transfers Dish Anywhere Will Soon Include Content Transferring ...

iPad: Transferring your cellular data plan to a new iPad (3rd generation)
This article explains how to transfer an existing iPad cellular data plan to a new iPad (3rd generation).

LinkedIn app under scrutiny for transferring iOS calendar entries
Security researchers are criticizing LinkedIn's iOS app for a feature that automatically transfers iOS calendar entries to the company's servers. ...

Kim Dotcom: “I’m officially broke” after transferring remaining assets
Megaupload founder a "flight risk" before 2015 extradition hearing, NZ says.