Is there a way to OFFLINE a database

Hi,

On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an "ONLINE DATABASE", is there an
"OFFLINE DATABASE" also or is there a way to offline a user database?

Thanks

-tom

0
Thomas
2/10/2000 11:39:51 PM
sybase.sqlserver.admin 2338 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Thomas Yen wrote:

> On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an "ONLINE DATABASE", is there an
> "OFFLINE DATABASE" also or is there a way to offline a user database?

	No. You can either keep it offline by not bringing it online
	or you could try setting it to single user or dbo only mode.

-am
0
Anthony
2/10/2000 11:53:21 PM

Thomas Yen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sybase 11.0.3 and up, there is an "ONLINE DATABASE", is there an
> "OFFLINE DATABASE" also or is there a way to offline a user database?

Yes, but you won't like it:  dump the database and reload it.

Technically, you can also flip a bit or two in sysdatabases.status or
..status2 to
indicate the offline state, then reboot ASE to refresh the internal
memory structures
with the change.  But this is not supported or recommended.

There are also the sp_dboption settings of "DBO use only", "read only",
and "single user mode"
that can sometimes be used, although it is very difficult to set them if
there are users trying
to use the database at the time.

ASE 12.0 has a new "QUIESCE DATABASE" command that could be used in
effect
to take a database offline for a period of time (its true purpose is to
enable quick backups
based on a copy of the underlying devices via EMC's TimeFinder or similar
third-party
products).

-bret

0
Bret

A general question about supporting offline databases
I am a bit of a newbie with Delphi databases, we've been using Delphi for 15 years but we have always used a proprietary binary data format. We now want to switch to an SQL file format. For now we're working with SQLITE, so the Java and C# guys in our shop can read the file too. We have all the latest tools now, XE5 with FireDAC, Datasnap, REST etc. I am very, very impressed with what we can do now. Currently, we have a Delphi desktop app that controls the data file, and use XMLRPC calls from the clients to send and receive transactions. We have what we call a "refresh&...

best way to access the database for a database driven app
hi ive made my first ASP.Net web application! The application access the database regularly, most of the pages requires to access the database more than once, different for different scenerios/methods etc. Everytime i access the database i have to repeat the create connection code (OdbcConnection con = new OdbcConnection() etc). i was wondering is this the best way of doing it? or is it better to create a seperate method just for creating the connection and i call it, passing in the sql command and it returns the dataset everytime i want to access the database? any opinions...

Is there a database-neutral way to retrieve a database's structure?
I'm working on an application that should (ideally) be able to work with any database system (access, mysql, sql server, oracle).  One step I have to have the user perform during the application is to choose from a list of tables in a given database, and then choose from a list of columns for that same table.  I've seen samples around the web, and on this site, for doing this, but for access or sql server specifically.  I understand that they maintain internal listings of tables and columns.  But is there a way to do this without having to require a particular dat...

offline database
when I write 1> online database "DBNAME" appear this error: Database 'DBNAME' cannot be opened because either an earlier system termination left LOAD DATABASE incomplete or the database is created with 'for load' option. Load the database or contact a user with System Administrator (SA) what's the matter? lars wrote: > when I write > > 1> online database "DBNAME" > > appear this error: > > Database 'DBNAME' cannot be opened because either an > earlier system > termination left LO...

Offline a Database
Can anyone tell me how to take a user database offline? There is no simple command to specifically take a database offline. You can do it by dumping the database and then reloading it. You might also consider the "dbo-use only" db option as an alternative. -bret Sue_Irwin wrote: > > Can anyone tell me how to take a user database offline? > Can anyone tell me how to take a user database offline? Depending on what I am doing, I will sometimes rename the database to dbname_offline and then rename it back when I'm done. Hi, The way we do it ...

Is there a way to downsize a SQL Server database to an Access Jet database?
I won't bore you with the reasons why at this stage, but I have a need to downsize a SQL Server database to a Microsoft Access Jet database for use as a back end to an existing Access 2003 application. Is there any way to do this?  My SQL Server database sits on a webserver - a shared SQL Server 2005 facility provided by my Windows hosting ISP. I only have SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio Express on my own PC (plus Visual Web Developer 2008 Express). David Hi David, As far as I know, there is no such tool to migrate from SQL Server to Access.I think we c...

how i to offline database??
as title thanks ...

database offline
Hi! Does anyone know the command to simply put the database 'offline'? And not just 'single user'? Thanks! There is no single command to place a database "offline". It can be done by dumping the database and then reloading the dump. -bret Austin wrote: > > Hi! > > Does anyone know the command to simply put the database 'offline'? And not > just 'single user'? > > Thanks! Hi! Thanks! Hmmm, I know there is a way to put at database offline by editing certain system tables, but I am not sure how ...

how i create database in sqlserver 2005 from sqlserver 2000 bak file
how i create database  in sqlserver 2005 from sqlserver 2000 bak fileadilahmed Hi,adilahmedmd U can get Ur Help From these Links related ur case http://forums.asp.net/p/1321234/2626610.aspx http://forums.asp.net/p/1303617/2554938.aspx#2554938 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32465316/restore-sql-2000-backupb.aspx http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=162455&SiteID=1 http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=259311&start=0 http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Development/MS-SQL-Server/Q_22616292.html http://asr...

how I to offline a Database??
as title thanks the is no command to offline a database. What is your purpose?? "dino" <ddamy@ms1.url.com.tw> wrote in message news:3fddbd15@forums-2-dub... > as title > thanks > > Actually, you can put a database in offline status by dumping it and reloading the dump. For most uses, putting it in "dbo use only" or "read only" or both is easier. -bret A Cornell wrote: > > the is no command to offline a database. What is your purpose?? > "dino" <ddamy@ms1.url.com.tw> wrote in message news...

SQLServer database
I am surely stupid, I can't find the SQLServer database creation script in the DNN 2.0 download ... Anyone to help ?? You have to create the database yourself, and then run the DNN install, which will populate the database with the necessary tables, and stored procedures. See the installation notes for clarification.iwonderMission, KS - USA Nod, create a database called DotNetNuke, change your webconfig to point to it and voila.Aaron Corcoran http://www.aaroncorcoran.com Thanks guys! Your information was useful. My database was also set to trusted connection, so I got an err...

how I to offline database
as title thanks every one ...

database offline
How can I make database offline except load database again. Anand Gupta wrote: > > How can I make database offline except load database again. Change the status in master..sysdatabases perhaps? -am Anthony Mandic wrote: > Anand Gupta wrote: > > > > How can I make database offline except load database again. > > Change the status in master..sysdatabases perhaps? There is no command to make a database offline. Generally speaking, the sp_dboption "dbo use only" serves the purpose (though it can be hard to set in a busy ...

Using collection way or direct database way to display data using datagrid
Hi All I have a question regarding Collection I have look through the Report starter kits and the way to display the content to datagrid is via collection which is neats but something that make me not sure is why have to go through Collection if datagrid can get the data straight from database pumping in to dataset rather than database go through collection than pump in to dataset which has "extra 1 step"? Can someone enlighten me in what case Collection is wiser to use than normal direct database to dataset? I look many books and always have example like report starter ...

Web resources about - Is there a way to OFFLINE a database - sybase.sqlserver.admin

GOP rivals condemn Donald Trump for backing Muslim database
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson said Saturday that he wants to expand the government's surveillance operations aimed at ...

Animal Venom Database Could Be Boon To Drug Development
A new public database that catalogs animal toxins could spur the development of new drugs made with compounds found in animal venom.

WATCH 'TROJAN HORSE' Trump wants database for Syrian refugees in US
WATCH 'TROJAN HORSE' Trump wants database for Syrian refugees in US

Donald Trump is Under Media Assault for Suggesting ‘Muslim Database,’ But Here’s What He Says About It ...
"Donald Trump's plan for a Muslim database draws comparison to Nazi Germany"...