BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?

Anyone,

I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a
Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop.  I dont feel
like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI
proplems with this approach as well.

Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the
Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world.  If this is
even possible.

The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am
able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhere db.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please send replies directly to me as well as
group so that I may get them as sson as possible.

Thanks
Miller

0
David
7/6/1998 12:18:49 PM
sybase.sqlserver.admin 2338 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I haven't used SQL Anywhere ... so shoot me if what follows falls under
the category of 'naive' ...

1) From the UNIX (O/S) command line prompt, can you connect to the SQL
Anywhere database?

If yes, see #2.

2) How do you load ascii/data into your SQL Anywhere database now?  Can
you do this from the UNIX command line prompt?

If you can load into SQL Anywhere from the UNIX command line prompt ...
then write a (UNIX) shell script to bcp out of the UNIX dataserver and
load into the SQL Anywhere database. (duh, Mark!?!?!)

3) You mention RI problems ... I'm assuming you mean RI problems on SQL
Anywhere during the inserts, right?  (i.e., there shouldn't be any RI
problems pulling data *out of* the UNIX server.)

If SQL Anywhere won't let you disable your RI (ala Oracle) then why not
drop the RI until the data loads have been completed?  (I'm assuming
here that you can add/drop RI *after* data has been loaded into the
table??)

4) Is this a one time shot?  Or is this something you need to do on a
regular basis, e.g., trying to sync your laptop from the UNIX
dataserver?

If doing this multiple times ... can you use SQL Anywhere's replication
capability ... I've always heard that one of the reasons that this
capability was supplied was to do regular 'sync-ups' with other
databases ... ???

If doing this once ... and you have to move the resultant (UNIX) bcp
files to your laptop for loading ... write a UNIX shell script to do all
of your bcp (outs), followed by a FTP to your laptop (or just do a bulk
file transfer by hand??).  Then write a shell script on your laptop to
call the SQL Anywhere bulk file loader (or whatever it's called).

duh, Mark???

Mark Parsons
Iron Horse, Inc.

David Miller wrote:

> Anyone,
>
> I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a
> Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop.  I dont feel
> like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI
> proplems with this approach as well.
>
> Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the
> Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world.  If this is
> even possible.
>
> The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am
> able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhere db.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please send replies directly to me as well as
> group so that I may get them as sson as possible.
>
> Thanks
> Miller
0
Mark

How do I synchronise local SQL Server Express db with my online SQL Server 2005 db?
For various reasons, I have a situation where the data in the SQL Server 2005 database hosted by my ISP is more up to date than the data in the matching SQL Server Express database on my own PC. I now want to synchronise these two databases but don't know how to do it. Because I am still developing my ASP.NET 3.5 app, which has not yet been opened up to users, I am only used to synchronising in the other direction by first using the Database Publishing Wizard within Visual Web Developer 2008 Express to create a suitable script associated with my SQL Server Express database and then runn...

Converting db from SQL Anywhere 5 to MS SQL Server 7
I have converted a SQL Anywhere 5 database to MS SQL Server 7 database. When the tables are converted are the primary key, foreign keys and indexes brought over to MS SQL Server 7 or do they all have to be recreated in the coverted tables? If they have to be recreated, is there a simple way to do it? Thanks, Sheldon Thompson How did you perform the migration? If you extracted the SQL schema for the tables, it should have included the indices in the SQL script. First thing is to use the admin tool and check to see if the indices were created. If not, then you need to extra...

Topic: Converting db from SQL Anywhere 5 to MS SQL Server 7
I have converted a SQL Anywhere 5 database to MS SQL Server 7 database. When the tables are converted are the primary key, foreign keys and indexes brought over to MS SQL Server 7 or do they all have to be recreated in the coverted tables? If they have to be recreated, is there a simple way to do it? By the way, I used the MS SQL Import/Export Utility to do the conversion. If there is another method, please let me know. Thanks, Sheldon Thompson ...

Deploy Sql Server Express DB to Sql Server Express
I have developed by webite with Visual Studio 2005 and sql server express. I'm trying to deploy my website to a VPS with sql server express running on it I ftp'd the App_Data folder to the remote via the 'copy web site' Everything seemed okay until I started trying to run more complex database operations using stored procedures and transactions. It appears that the schema is messed up because when defining the parameters for a stored procedure, upon ExecuteNonQuery I get the error that I've assigned too many parameters which I have not (since it runs fine on...

SQL Server 2000 DB in SQL Server 2005 Express
I have an SQL Server 2000 DB that I created on one PC that I would like to move to a PC running SQL Server 2005 Express, is this possible? Will the SQL Server 2000 DB run under SQLS Server 2005 EXPRESS? Thank you for any thoughts, Yes, there are serveral ways to move the database: backup/restore, detach/attach, Copy Database Wizard, etc. For more information, you can refer to:Copy Database Wizard: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190775.aspxBackup/Restore: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspxDetach/Attach: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190794.a...

Can a Sql anywhere 6.0 db run on SQL Server equivalent dll files?
Hi, we have a client who is afraid that our sql anywhere 6 app deploys later dll files on top of their sql server files. Are the same dll files used in both db's? If so, could later files break their SQL SERVER app? Many thanks -- Phill Hayes Systems Analyst Standard & Poor's phillip_hayes@standardandpoors.com Whether you are referring to Sybase SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server there are no conflicts. What specific symptoms is your customer encountering? -- --------------------------------------- Rob Waywell Sybase Please Respond to Newsgroups Phi...

connecting to SQL Server 7 using ole db provider for Sql Server
I had problems trying to do this with a grid so I am now trying to add a new connection in the Server Explorer. I added all the neccessary info and when I hit "Test Connection" it is successful but when I ckick on "OK" I get an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Anybody know what is wrong? Thanks....

Convert SQL Server DB to Access DB
Hi, I'm trying to convert a SQL Server 2000 database into a Access database because my hosting provider does not support SQL Server. I have tried the DTS, however it can only convert the tables, not the stored procedures. So is it possible to convert the stored procedures as well? I'm looking forwards to your response Phan Nguyen Hello, I believe you need some third-party components to do so, check the links below: MSSQL-to-Access 1.0 MSSQL Migration Toolkit v1.0 All are shareware tools, yuo can download and use them as a trial version. Regards.Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS,...

Exporting the SQL DB to a production SQL Server?
Anyone know the process of preparing the SQL Server to go from the MSDE environment to a produciton SQL Server? I do know the connection string and other DB related setting need to be changed, but specifically I would like info on transporting the .mdf file to a live SQL Server running SQL Server 7 or 2000. Thanks Chuke I have used DTS in the SQL 2000 or SQL 7 DB to import data from an MSDE database successfully in the past. You can connect to MSDE with Enterprise Manager and use the import / export wizard. Dave RanckDave Ranck Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with ...

Easiest way to move a SQL Server Express 2008 DB to SQL Server 2000?
Hello, I created an application in Visual Studio Express using the App_Data folder for my SQL Server Express 2008 database.  The machine that I have to port the application to is using SQL Server 2000.  What is the easiest way for me to take my SQL Express 2008 DB and get it onto the SQL Server 2000 machine?  I don't think that I can use Import/Export as the machines are not on the same network and cannott see one another. Thoughts? Also, are there any security issues with running SQL Server Express 2008 on the SQL Server 2000 machine?  Would there be any point? T...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

SQL Server DB Restore to Different DB Name
Hi, I always do a full backup of my database named "LMS". Lets say now i want to have another database (new DB name is LMS1) that have exactly the same content as LMS. I tried to use "Restore database" option but it seems to give me this error: "You are attempting to overwrite an existing database. Check the force restore over existing database option to overwrite the existing database." Then i go to check the force restore option but it give me another error: "The file 'c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\data\LMS_Data.MDF' cannot...

how to synchronize sql anywhere db to mobilink consolidate db
Hi, thanks for reply :) Now i using 'mobilink' to syncronize my microsoft sql server data with a consolidate db. :) it is successfully running.Every changes in Microsoft sql server db occurring in mobilink consolidate database. but the problem is i can not synchronize my sqlanywhere database(which i made as a remote for sync) with this cosolidate database. can any body give me idea how to synchronize this sqlanywhere db with mobilink consolidate database. there is a one replication folder,one subscription folder and moblink user folder under the sqlanywhere...

Transferring DB from SQL Express to SQL Server 2005
Hi,I have an asp.net (C#) project running perfectly on 2 machines running SQL Express.I need to transfer it to a machine running SQL Server 2005 (I don't believe it has SQL Express installed). I've setup the database on the new machine by right clicking 'Data Connections', Selecting my machine as the server name and attaching the database file from the other machine in the App_Data folder. My connection string is as follows:    Data Source=My Machine Name;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB.mdf;Integrated Security=True It...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'. SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Hi,I have a asp web application, where i use sql server 2005 as backend. This application generates reports . Before i was using SQL Server 2000, now its migrated to 2005. When i generate report for small date range then it works fine. But when the date range is big then around half of the report is generated and the following error is thrown. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005' [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ...out.asp, line 405  Am sure the webcode is working fine and am connecting to the Da...

Web resources about - BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db? - sybase.sqlserver.admin

A Muslim Immigration Ban and the Constitution
I continue to contend that the U.S. government establishing a religious test for immigration and entry would violate the Constitution. I find ...

Apple releases Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader for iPhone and iPad
My iPhone 6s Plus is a wonderful smartphone long battery life, great performance, and strong security. One of the biggest benefits, however, ...

One Twitter User Predicted the Name Saint West Months Ago!
The name Saint West quickly became a trending topic yesterday (December 7) when Kim Kardashian and Kanye West announced the name of their new ...

Chicago Releases Video of Police Using a Taser on Man Who Later Died
Chicago Releases Video of Police Using a Taser on Man Who Later Died

The most far-out 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' collectibles every fan will want
Disney has some interesting new Star Wars toys for sale. Read more: http://on.mash.to/1TYHOBr Read more... More about Movies , Disney , Merchandise ...

Pixel C deep-dive review: A terrific tablet that tries to be more
Remember back when we had clearly defined device categories with bold lines between them? Smartphones were for voice calls and on-the-go communication, ...

Officials ban half of Beijing's cars amid emergency smog alert
Filed under: Green , Emissions , China Cars will be banned based on their license plate number, as China's authorities desperately try to curb ...

The hopeful news about CO2 emissions and climate change
This story was originally published by Slate and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration. Our planet is heating up. The ...

NAACP Image Award Nominations Unveiled
The NAACP this morning announced nominees for its 47th annual Image Awards , which celebrate the accomplishments of people of color in TV, music, ...

Oscar Pistorius to Appeal to South Africa's Highest Court
BDlive Oscar Pistorius to Appeal to South Africa's Highest Court New York Times PRETORIA, South Africa — Oscar Pistorius will try to appeal ...