network_connection_timeout

9.0.2.3804

Hi there,

We use the network_connection_timeout parameter when synchronising a
Mobilink Ultralite database.

However, this feature is only supported in Pocket PC 2002.  We believe that
it works in Pocket PC 2003.

However, it certainly no longer works in Windows Mobile 6 and beyond.

Therefore if the device is not currently connected to the internet (e.g. you
have only just switched the device on), if you perform a Mobilink sync, it
will try to connect (and show the connection bubble within Windows Mobile)
but it will try to sync after a couple of seconds and then error.

Because the network_connection_timeout parameter is now ignored, rather than
waiting 30 seconds before synchronising, it now becomes problematic.

Why is the network_connection_timeout parameter ignored?

Thanks.

Shao

0
Shao
10/5/2010 9:54:30 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.ultralite 2982 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The network_connection_timeout feature applies to an
extremely limit set of uses and platforms.

According to the 9.0.2  documentation (English version)

    It only works in combination with the "network_name"
    parameter, which is only has meaning in a dial-up networking
    situation
                "You must specify network_name to use this option."
            and from the section of network_name implies the
            functionality only really exists for the MobiLink
            auto-dial feature; implications dial-up networking.

    Further both "network_name" and "network_connect_timeout"
    only have support on PocketPC 2002 !only!.  The fact that it
    may seem to work with some PocketPC 2003 devices may
    be because the manufacturer of that device is still supporting
    PPC 2002 style dialup networking drivers.

Not only is there no announced support for auto-dialing on
a WinMobile 6 platform there may be no platform support
for it.   As noted in the Error Messages section (Error code
203 "DUN_NOT_SUPPORTED")

        "On PocketPC we require cellcore.dll"

and that dll is (apparently) very specifically a PPC-only
component. According to some MSDN hit's I've there
may be some Windows Mobile devices that include the
features of running SmartPhone or PPC Phone Edition ...
but apparently yours is not one of those.  There seems
to also be a Privileged requirement with newer SDKs
and devices and that my also be blocking things.

Either way it is likely no testing was performed on
non-PocketPC2002 devices and so there is no
guarantees.

P.S. Do note as of Jan. 1st 2010 9.0.x has reached it's end
of engineering support http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1061840

"Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> 9.0.2.3804
>
> Hi there,
>
> We use the network_connection_timeout parameter when synchronising a
> Mobilink Ultralite database.
>
> However, this feature is only supported in Pocket PC 2002.  We believe
> that it works in Pocket PC 2003.
>
> However, it certainly no longer works in Windows Mobile 6 and beyond.
>
> Therefore if the device is not currently connected to the internet (e.g.
> you have only just switched the device on), if you perform a Mobilink
> sync, it will try to connect (and show the connection bubble within
> Windows Mobile) but it will try to sync after a couple of seconds and then
> error.
>
> Because the network_connection_timeout parameter is now ignored, rather
> than waiting 30 seconds before synchronising, it now becomes problematic.
>
> Why is the network_connection_timeout parameter ignored?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shao

0
Nick
10/5/2010 3:38:55 PM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for that response.

We do provide the network_name.  This was written for us in a pod by
iAnywhere, but it appears we probably now need a separate pod to ensure
connectivity to the internet.

The 2 concerns I have are this:

1) If I open up M-Biz and perform an application sync, it will correctly
connect to the internet by the default internet connection profile and wait
for a connection to establish properly and then perform an application sync.
The same with Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile. It you sever the
connection to the internet and launch Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile,
it will show the the connection bubble, wait for the internet connection to
gain connection and then browse to the home page.  Now the problem is that
when I chat to our customers they can demonstrate these two applications and
a host of other applications that can connect to the internet from a dropped
connection and then continue on its way, but Mobilink/Ultralite cannot.  How
can I explain this?

2) If we move to SQL Anywhere 12 or later with the latest EBF, the problem
is still there right?  Mobilink cannot connect to the internet by itself.
So when writing applications for customers where the user may be going in
and out of coverage, you have to write your own bespoke code to establish a
network connection because Mobilink cannot.  I believe that that's a big
weakness in the Mobilink software.

Is there any plans to get Mobilink having the ability to connect to the
internet.  These days, all software that runs under Windows Mobile that
access the internet have a built in feature that references the value in
Start > Settings > Connections (tab) > Connections > Advanced (tab) > Select
Networks > Programs that connect to the internet will connect using this
profile:
and will automatically connect to the internet.

Is there any reason why Mobilink does not support this when all other
software, even M-Biz does?

Cheers,

Shao

"Nick Elson [Sybase An SAP Company]" <@nick@dot@elson@at@sybase@dot@com@>
wrote in message news:4cab468f@forums-1-dub...
> The network_connection_timeout feature applies to an
> extremely limit set of uses and platforms.
>
> According to the 9.0.2  documentation (English version)
>
>    It only works in combination with the "network_name"
>    parameter, which is only has meaning in a dial-up networking
>    situation
>                "You must specify network_name to use this option."
>            and from the section of network_name implies the
>            functionality only really exists for the MobiLink
>            auto-dial feature; implications dial-up networking.
>
>    Further both "network_name" and "network_connect_timeout"
>    only have support on PocketPC 2002 !only!.  The fact that it
>    may seem to work with some PocketPC 2003 devices may
>    be because the manufacturer of that device is still supporting
>    PPC 2002 style dialup networking drivers.
>
> Not only is there no announced support for auto-dialing on
> a WinMobile 6 platform there may be no platform support
> for it.   As noted in the Error Messages section (Error code
> 203 "DUN_NOT_SUPPORTED")
>
>        "On PocketPC we require cellcore.dll"
>
> and that dll is (apparently) very specifically a PPC-only
> component. According to some MSDN hit's I've there
> may be some Windows Mobile devices that include the
> features of running SmartPhone or PPC Phone Edition ...
> but apparently yours is not one of those.  There seems
> to also be a Privileged requirement with newer SDKs
> and devices and that my also be blocking things.
>
> Either way it is likely no testing was performed on
> non-PocketPC2002 devices and so there is no
> guarantees.
>
> P.S. Do note as of Jan. 1st 2010 9.0.x has reached it's end
> of engineering support http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1061840
>

> "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> 9.0.2.3804
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We use the network_connection_timeout parameter when synchronising a
>> Mobilink Ultralite database.
>>
>> However, this feature is only supported in Pocket PC 2002.  We believe
>> that it works in Pocket PC 2003.
>>
>> However, it certainly no longer works in Windows Mobile 6 and beyond.
>>
>> Therefore if the device is not currently connected to the internet (e.g.
>> you have only just switched the device on), if you perform a Mobilink
>> sync, it will try to connect (and show the connection bubble within
>> Windows Mobile) but it will try to sync after a couple of seconds and
>> then error.
>>
>> Because the network_connection_timeout parameter is now ignored, rather
>> than waiting 30 seconds before synchronising, it now becomes problematic.
>>
>> Why is the network_connection_timeout parameter ignored?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Shao

0
Shao
10/5/2010 5:00:35 PM
Those are all good questions and I am sure I do not
have all the answer for those.  Either way, you have
a number of concerns here, and I would recommend
working with technical support directly to register your
UL Pod questions with a live support representative.

All I can tell you is it would appear to simply not be
supported.  There may be techniques to address this
in other ways I may not be aware of.  One thought
is that since UL.Pod synchs often follow the M-Biz
synch, following up on something like network_leave_open
(but on the m-biz synchs) may be an option.  So too
might be doing pinging synchs ahead of the data synch
(if the connections are dialing but just taking longer than
required).

If this is tied direct to any custom POD you have then
I would recommend contacting the Professional Services
(consulting) group you worked with before for their
opinions on this.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> We use the network_connection_timeout parameter when synchronising a
>>> Mobilink Ultralite database.
>>>
>>> However, this feature is only supported in Pocket PC 2002.  We believe
>>> that it works in Pocket PC 2003.
>>>
>>> However, it certainly no longer works in Windows Mobile 6 and beyond.
>>>
>>> Therefore if the device is not currently connected to the internet (e.g.
>>> you have only just switched the device on), if you perform a Mobilink
>>> sync, it will try to connect (and show the connection bubble within
>>> Windows Mobile) but it will try to sync after a couple of seconds and
>>> then error.
>>>
>>> Because the network_connection_timeout parameter is now ignored, rather
>>> than waiting 30 seconds before synchronising, it now becomes
>>> problematic.
>>>
>>> Why is the network_connection_timeout parameter ignored?

0
Nick
10/5/2010 5:35:18 PM
One suggestion from some others here, is that switching the
design over to a 1 button sync might address this, but
read on . . .

But the general concensus is that this should just work. While
the 9.0.x documentation states the feature applies to
"Pocket PC 2002 only" that was written that way because
the only CE platform of note (at that time that article was
written) was PocketPC2002 and the use of name was the
way to differentiate that from the more general win32 (say
XP) platform.

It is not really stating it won't work with any future versions
of the CE platform (no matter want Microsoft ends up calling it).
So that does not seem to be at the root of your problem.

For that very reason you should work with support to see
what is really failing here!

- - - - -

As far as Version 10 and up goes, network_connect_timeout
{and a few others} have been replaced with a single simpler
liveness timeouts.   But more importantly the support
for MobiLink auto-dial and network_name has no such
(implied) documentated platform limitations. It has even
been enhanced a little.

wrote in message news:4cab61d6@forums-1-dub...
> [...]
>>>    PPC 2002 style dialup networking drivers.
>>>
>>> Not only is there no announced support for auto-dialing on
>>> a WinMobile 6 platform there may be no platform support
>>> for it.   As noted in the Error Messages section (Error code
>>> 203 "DUN_NOT_SUPPORTED")
>>>
>>>        "On PocketPC we require cellcore.dll"
>>>
>>> and that dll is (apparently) very specifically a PPC-only
>>> component. According to some MSDN hit's I've there
>>> may be some Windows Mobile devices that include the
>>> features of running SmartPhone or PPC Phone Edition ...
>>> but apparently yours is not one of those.  There seems
>>> to also be a Privileged requirement with newer SDKs
>>> and devices and that my also be blocking things.
>>>
>>> Either way it is likely no testing was performed on
>>> non-PocketPC2002 devices and so there is no
>>> guarantees.
>>>
>>> P.S. Do note as of Jan. 1st 2010 9.0.x has reached it's end

0
Nick
10/5/2010 7:50:27 PM
Hi Nick,

We know the functionality worked at the time of Pocket PC 2003 simply
because the POD was written to enable network reconnection.  The POD simply
allows you to choose a network connection profile which is stored in our
Ultralite database.  Thereafterwards we can then send it into a Mobilink
sync.

I guess we'll have to test SQLA 12 and see how it goes.  We're not sure that
combining the liveness timeout with the connection timeout is a good thing.
The connection timeout is how long you want to wait when trying to establish
a connection and the liveness timeout is how long you want to wait once a
connection has started right?  You may not want to set them at the same
levels.

Furthermore in SQLA 12 I assume that even though these settings have been
merged, this is the only change that has been made.  I can't see anything in
the context of Mobilink automatically establishing a network connection on
the default profile like M-Biz does.  Therefore you would still need a POD
to get the network connection profile name.

Thanks for the response.

wrote in message news:4cab8183@forums-1-dub...
> [...]
>>> problem is still there right?  Mobilink cannot connect to the internet
>>> by itself. So when writing applications for customers where the user may
>>> be going in and out of coverage, you have to write your own bespoke code
>>> to establish a network connection because Mobilink cannot.  I believe
>>> that that's a big weakness in the Mobilink software.
>>>
>>> Is there any plans to get Mobilink having the ability to connect to the
>>> internet.  These days, all software that runs under Windows Mobile that
>>> access the internet have a built in feature that references the value in
>>> Start > Settings > Connections (tab) > Connections > Advanced (tab) >
>>> Select Networks > Programs that connect to the internet will connect
>>> using this profile:
>>> and will automatically connect to the internet.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason why Mobilink does not support this when all other

0
Shao
10/6/2010 12:41:26 PM
That all good information but knowing that is not
helping you identify why it is not working on
Windows Mobile 6.

Since newer versions are likely to work a little
differently in this regard they may just get past
this, but I have no hard guarantee that will be
the case.   If that investigation does not yield
the desired result thane working with technical
support is the best next thing to try.

> [...]
>>> have all the answer for those.  Either way, you have
>>> a number of concerns here, and I would recommend
>>> working with technical support directly to register your
>>> UL Pod questions with a live support representative.
>>>

>>> All I can tell you is it would appear to simply not be
>>> supported.  There may be techniques to address this
>>> in other ways I may not be aware of.  One thought
>>> is that since UL.Pod synchs often follow the M-Biz
>>> synch, following up on something like network_leave_open
>>> (but on the m-biz synchs) may be an option.  So too
>>> might be doing pinging synchs ahead of the data synch
>>> (if the connections are dialing but just taking longer than
>>> required).
>>>
>>> If this is tied direct to any custom POD you have then
>>> I would recommend contacting the Professional Services
>>> (consulting) group you worked with before for their

0
Nick
10/6/2010 2:42:14 PM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the responses to this query.

wrote in message news:4cac8ac6$1@forums-1-dub...
> [...]
>>> "Pocket PC 2002 only" that was written that way because
>>> the only CE platform of note (at that time that article was
>>> written) was PocketPC2002 and the use of name was the
>>> way to differentiate that from the more general win32 (say
>>> XP) platform.
>>>
>>> It is not really stating it won't work with any future versions
>>> of the CE platform (no matter want Microsoft ends up calling it).
>>> So that does not seem to be at the root of your problem.
>>>
>>> For that very reason you should work with support to see
>>> what is really failing here!
>>>

>>> - - - - -
>>>
>>> As far as Version 10 and up goes, network_connect_timeout
>>> {and a few others} have been replaced with a single simpler
>>> liveness timeouts.   But more importantly the support
>>> for MobiLink auto-dial and network_name has no such
>>> (implied) documentated platform limitations. It has even

0
Shao