MovileVB (Appforge) + Ultralite questions

Greetings,

Appforge comes now bundled with the Ultralite technology from ianywhere, a
subsidiary of Sybase. The latest Appforge package comes with a trial
version of the MOBILINK SERVER, required to Sync data to/from a
consolidated DB, however i've managed to get the Anywhere Studio 8.0.2 that
fully supports integration with Mobile VB Applications and comes with a
licensed Mobilink server.

So far, i've read the help files and manuals in order to start the
development of mobile apps with true relational DB access for the Palm PDAs
and i've succesfully created a small application that works great, however,
i have 2 big questions, so i hope that any of you can help me out:

1) I've tried EVERYTHING in order to minimize the sync speed between the PC
and the PDA but to upload a customer DB with 5,000 records takes 20 or more
minutes which is totally unacceptable. Now, i don't intend to work with the
5,000 at once but i certainly need them all uploaded. Using PDBs i upload
this info in 30 seconds, using Mobilink i take over 20 mins! i've read FAQs
and the performance tips of the manuals but nothing works.. what can i do
to speed up the upload of data from Mobilink to my PDA?

2) What i thought that would make this Ultralite technology attractive is
the idea to work with complex SQL statements instead of annoying and
tedious "while", "for" or "do" bucles (nested or not) working along with
conditions, however, it seems to me that this cannot be achieved after
reading the whole "Ultralite for Mobile VB" book. The Lookup and Find
methods are only meant to look for data that you specifically want to get
such as:

customer.LookupBegin (or customer.FindBegin)
customer.column("last_name")= "Duval"
customer.LookupForward

<<if customer.EOF = True>> (It found nothing)
<<if customer.EOF = False>> (It found record(s) matching your search
criteria)

but, let's suppose that i want to retrieve a block of customers whose ages
are > 30 and their marital status = single

A SQL statement would be something like:

select id, last_name, first_name from customer where age > 30 and
marital_status = 'single'

now, as stated above, how could i achieve this goal with Ultralite for
MobileVB without having to use bucles the way i actually do with regular
and simple PDBs?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

0
Paul_Fabre
6/26/2003 4:35:53 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.ultralite 2982 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> 1) I've tried EVERYTHING in order to minimize the sync speed between the
PC
> and the PDA but to upload a customer DB with 5,000 records takes 20 or
more
> minutes which is totally unacceptable. Now, i don't intend to work with
the
> 5,000 at once but i certainly need them all uploaded. Using PDBs i upload
> this info in 30 seconds, using Mobilink i take over 20 mins! i've read
FAQs
> and the performance tips of the manuals but nothing works.. what can i do
> to speed up the upload of data from Mobilink to my PDA?
I presume you are talking about DOWNLOADing 5000 records from your desktop
to your PDA (rather than UPLOADing them from the PDA to the desktop).

How is the PDA communicating with MobiLink?  The conduit?  TCPIP?  Something
else?
How many tables are in the UltraLite database on the device and how many
indexes on those tables?

> 2) What i thought that would make this Ultralite technology attractive is
> the idea to work with complex SQL statements instead of annoying and
> tedious "while", "for" or "do" bucles (nested or not) working along with
> conditions, however, it seems to me that this cannot be achieved after
Version 9.0 of the UltraLite for MobileVB product (available imminently ...
the beta program is just coming to an end) has support for SQL.  When it's
available, you should upgrade to it.

0
Paul
6/26/2003 4:36:08 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I guess i am going to wait for the release of the Anywhere Studio 9.0 in
order to use true SQL statements in my MobileVB code since nothing can be
done with the current version.

As for the question about Mobilink performance, here are the details of my
ASA database:

- The database has just one table (customer) for the time being.
- The table "customer" has 5,000 rows with 17 columns / fields
- The table "customer" has 2 indexes.
- I have tried to sync data using TCP/IP and the Palmconduit too. Both
methods work fine, they just run _very_ slow as stated in my original post.

Best Regards,

Paul.
0
Paul_Fabre
6/26/2003 6:03:56 PM
I realize you're waiting for 9.0.  However, if you continue to get this
problem after using that version, have a look at the ML log to see if
anything looks suspicious there (like more data is being transmitted than
you're expecting).  If you're still stuck, please post again.

<Paul_Fabre> wrote in message
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> I guess i am going to wait for the release of the Anywhere Studio 9.0 in
> order to use true SQL statements in my MobileVB code since nothing can be
> done with the current version.
>
> As for the question about Mobilink performance, here are the details of my
> ASA database:
>
> - The database has just one table (customer) for the time being.
> - The table "customer" has 5,000 rows with 17 columns / fields
> - The table "customer" has 2 indexes.
> - I have tried to sync data using TCP/IP and the Palmconduit too. Both
> methods work fine, they just run _very_ slow as stated in my original
post.

> Best Regards,
>
> Paul.

0