upgrade ASE database with SQL remote replication

The SQL remote replication is between ASE and ASA database.  Does the
secondary truncation point need to set 'ignore'  before the ASE database is
upgraded ?

liy
7/16/2003 5:59:30 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.replication 4591 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Yes, correct.

You do need to ignore the secondary truncation point with

        dbcc settrunc( 'ltm', ignore')

in the ASE database before upgrading.  Of course your log should be totally
drained using ssremote -i, before doing that.

After successfully upgrading you have to set that back to 'valid'

"liy" <LI_YUPING@bls.gov> wrote in message
> The SQL remote replication is between ASE and ASA database.  Does the
> secondary truncation point need to set 'ignore'  before the ASE database
is
> upgraded ?
>
> Thanks

0
Nick
7/16/2003 8:52:21 PM
Thanks for your help.

"Nick Elson" <no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Yes, correct.
>
> You do need to ignore the secondary truncation point with
>
>         dbcc settrunc( 'ltm', ignore')
>
> in the ASE database before upgrading.  Of course your log should be
totally
> drained using ssremote -i, before doing that.
>
> After successfully upgrading you have to set that back to 'valid'
>

> "liy" <LI_YUPING@bls.gov> wrote in message
> > The SQL remote replication is between ASE and ASA database.  Does the
> > secondary truncation point need to set 'ignore'  before the ASE database
> is
> > upgraded ?
> >
> > Thanks

0
liy
7/17/2003 12:34:18 PM
If the trucation point was reset, then user need to have new database after
the upgrade, if not data from remote & server are not in syn ???? Is it
true ????

thanks,John
0
John
7/17/2003 7:34:14 PM
The ASE upgrade will fail unless you remove the LTM truncation point so
it MUST be removed (unless you never want to upgrade).

And yes, the ASE upgrade WILL typically create a new log (destroying the
original contents of the log).

This is acceptable from a replication synchronization stand point as long as
there is nothing left in the log.  That is done by running SSREMOTE -i
before removing the LTM truncation point.  Anything worth keeping is
store in the stable queue and those are just tables (mostly sr_transaction)
that are unaffected by the by the upgrade.

Since the stableQ remains intact synchronization is never lost.

<John> wrote in message
> If the trucation point was reset, then user need to have new database
after
> the upgrade, if not data from remote & server are not in syn ???? Is it
> true ????
>
> thanks,John

0
Nick
7/17/2003 7:47:59 PM
While I am on the topic,  I forgot about the keyword check issues you will
also run into.  Some SSRemote tables contain "option[s]" as a column name
and that will cause the checkreswords to fail.

See the online tech doc http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1016103

    "Upgrading an ASE Server that has implemented SQL Remote Replication "

for more details on this.   You should read through this doc in it's
entirety ANYWAY
but for a quick reference to the problem check out the sections titled "A
checkreswords Note "
and "Amendment to Note on checkreswords: " paying particular not to the use
of BCP for
NT to sidestep issues on that platform.

This document is a little dated so some things my have changed since it was
written so
take the process to heart and measures to deal with the issues and you
should be in
good shape. But remember to take backups and test your upgrade to see if you
are
going to hit anything else.  If you do, do not hesitate to contact Sybase
Technical support
about any ASE upgrade problem.

 sr_remoteoptions and sr_remoteoptiontype contain a reserved word column
called "option".
> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Nick Elson" <no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, correct.
> >
> > You do need to ignore the secondary truncation point with
> >
> >         dbcc settrunc( 'ltm', ignore')
> >
> > in the ASE database before upgrading.  Of course your log should be
> totally
> > drained using ssremote -i, before doing that.
> >
> > After successfully upgrading you have to set that back to 'valid'
> >

> > "liy" <LI_YUPING@bls.gov> wrote in message
> > > The SQL remote replication is between ASE and ASA database.  Does the
> > > secondary truncation point need to set 'ignore'  before the ASE
database
> > is
> > > upgraded ?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
Nick

Replication ASE
Hi, How can i replicate data between 2 ASE servers using SQL Remote, because when i use ssxtract it extracts a anywhere database .db. other question is i wanto replicate data via email, is microsoft exchage server enough for this or i'll need other mail server. thanks in advance Joan jmcd wrote in message <37616E0E.91D29322@else.com.pe>... >Hi, > >How can i replicate data between 2 ASE servers using SQL Remote, because >when i use ssxtract it extracts a anywhere database .db. > Hi I try this type of replication. In documentation i d...

ASE to ASE replication using SQL Remote
Since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, can I use it for replication from ASE to ASE instead of a more expensive Replication Server? ...

ASE to ASE replication using SQL Remote
Since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, can I use it for replication from ASE to ASE instead of a more expensive Replication Server? Yes you can. A couple of considerations: 1) SQL Remote is not intended for near real-time replication. Even with the new hover mode features, you should plan on at least 1 minute latency in each direction. 2) SSXtract does not support automatically extracting a remote ASE database. You will have to manually configure the remote and consolidated databases, including the initial synchronization of data before you start replication. This is certainly...

ASE Replicator or SQL Remote
We have several 11.9.x servers running on RH Linux that we need a simple replication solution for. These severs will be upgraded to 12.5 over a year or so. Rep sever seems overkill. I have been looking at the new ASE Replicator in 12.5 and SQL Remote that was designed for 11.9.x. Here are my questions: If I set up one 12.5 db and use it as the primary database can it publish data to the 11.9.x servers? Is SQL Remote going to be a supported product or is Sybase encouraging users to move to Replicator? Does SQL Remote run on Linux? Which is eaiser, more reliable? T...

SQL Remote and ASE Replicator
Hello, Is it possible to use SQL Remote and ASE Replicator on the same database? SQL Remote and Replication Server for example have such capability when you use ssqueue. -- JT Both the ASE replicator and SQL Remote for ASE need to exclusively manage ASE's secondary truncation point in order to identify the oldest data page in syslogs that they need to start scanning from. There is only 1 secondary truncation point, and by the nature of it, it can not be shared between processes to identify more than one page. This is why we included the SSQueue as a solution for an ASE ...

Replicating passwords from one remote database to other remote databases
I am attempting to replicate password changes from a remote database to the consolidated database to all other remote databases. The reason I am attempting this is we are implementing "multi-user" remote databases, where a db user created on the consolidated can be on one or more remote databases. I want to only allow remote users to change their db passwords, but have those password changes replicate to all other remote databases. My initial thought was to have a table that maintained db user name and encrypted password that would be subscribed to by all remote databas...

ASE Replicator & SQL Remote
Hi, How do I use ASE Replicator as the consolidated and ASA 6 SQL Remote as the remote? Where can I read notes on this topic or is it same as in the previous version of ASE (using ASE SQL Remote)? Thanks. AFAIK they cannot interact. /steve -- Stephen Rice Technical Services Manager iAnywhere Solutions - Please Post- Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer <Liza_A.S> wrote in message news:ACEE1F68940329BC001A644385256C9C.001A645285256C9C@webforums... > Hi, > &g...

database upgrade process when upgrading ASA9 database replicating with dbremote
Not sure where I should post this. I have bee doing some testing with SQL Anywhere 10.0.0.2417. I converted my publisher and one of the subscriber databases from ASA 9.0.2.3302. The Publisher and subscriber wer replicating fine when on running ASA 9. I ran the dbunload process on the ASA 9 databases and copied the old database log files into the SQL Anywhere 10 database directories. Now when I attempt to run the Replication process ( dbremote ) I continue to get an error that a log off set is not found "Unable to find log offset 018112048023" I translated...

Replication is not replicating
The new database is added to the replication system but all tables on the RDB are empty. Setreptable is on and there's no uncommitted transaction. It is using default action class and there's no loss detection. Queue is caught up. We turned on "dsi_buf_dump" and it shows on the error log that the transaction executed on the PDB is replicated. However, the table is again empty on the RDB. Log is not full on both RDB and RSSD. Maint user is dbo. What else can I take a look at? PDS and RDS is 11.0.3.3, RS is 11.0.3 I don't remember since what version warm ...

Replicate SQL Anywhere Text column to ASE using Replication Server
Hi everyone, Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive Server Enterprise? TIA Virginia yes. Replication of BLOBs works fine /steve -- Stephen Rice Manager Custom Support Sybase Canada Inc. email: srice@sybase.com virginia cheung wrote in message <01bdf3e7$6ed5c420$010414ac@star>... >Hi everyone, > >Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using >Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive >Server ...

ASE 11.5 Replication with SQL Remote
Has anybody gotten ASE 11.5 for NT to replicate using SQL Remote ? There seem to be problems using SQL Remote as the agent to replicate between ASE 11.5 nodes ? ...

Replication between ASE and MSSQL 6.5 with SQL Remote?
Is there a way to use SQL Remote to do replication between ASE for Linux and MS SQL 6.5? I'm planning on removing the MS SQL Server eventually and using only ASE as our company database. I would like to have both databases mirrored for a period of time (2-3 months) to test them. I know about Replication server but I'm don't want to spend the money if I'll be using only ASE in a couple of months. If it can't be done, does anyone knows of an ODBC or OLE-DB driver that can make request to more than one data source at the same time? Thanks in advance Fawzib Rojas ...

what's the procedure to upgrade SQL remote in the ASE database?
We plan to upgrade SSRemote from version 6 to version 8.0.2 in the ASE 12.5 database on UNIX. What's the procedure to upgrade SQL remote in the ASE database? Thanks The scripts directory of your ASA v802 install will include two SQL files to upgrade the SQL Remote for ASE tables in your ASE consolidated. The files are called ssupdate.sql and squpdate.sql. The following Whitepaper has a section near the end that discusses upgrading the SQL Remote tables in your AE database : Message Agent (ssremote) Cheat Sheet: Understanding SQL Remote for Adaptive Server Enterprise ...

Replication of consolidated database to remote database; for columns added to a table in the consolidated database.
I want to find out if I add columns to a data table in the consolidated database and then extract it for a remote database. Will the added columns appear in the remote database automatically? or do I have to deploy the extracted remote database by copying it to the remote machine. Currently the consolidated database and the remote database get replicated nightly and they have connections already established. Due to established connections, will the extracted database automatically get deployed to the remote machine with the updated table? Try it, that is the best way to check ...

Web resources about - upgrade ASE database with SQL remote replication - sybase.sqlanywhere.replication

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...