SQL Remote replication problem

We have an ASA 7.0.3.2046 setup with several branches replicating to and
from a consolidated database via SQL Remote. At each end we have the
following trigger on one of our tables:

alter trigger
DBA.tub_item before update on auction.item
referencing old as old_upd new as new_upd
for each row
begin
  if current remote user is null then
    set new_upd.last_modified_by=current user;
    set new_upd.date_last_modified=getdate(*)
  end if
end

The problem that sometimes occurs is this. A user updates a field on the
item table, which fires the trigger. The update action and the trigger
action are replicated to the consolidated database (we have replication of
trigger actions turned on). On the consolidated database the trigger fires
but does nothing, caught by the "if current remote user" condition. So far,
so good but then the consolidated database replicates the trigger action,
but not the original update action, back to the branch database again, where
it may override actions taken on the branch database during the time it took
for replication to occur.

Has anyone else seen, and preferably solved, a problem like this?

David Tillotson
Pickles Auctions
david.tillotson@pickles.com.au

0
David
4/10/2003 10:05:56 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.replication 4591 articles. 0 followers. Follow

This is a conflict resolution issue. Have you implemented a conflict
resolution trigger? If not, you may need to. The default rule is 'last one
in wins' which means the last update to reach the consolidated will be
retained. The result of a conflict resolution will be echoed back to all
subscribers. As you noted there may be temporary inconsistencies, but
assuming that the last update originating at the remote was already being
replicated, the system will catch up with a consistent state at all sites.

Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
 choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"David Tillotson" <david.tillotson@pickles.com.au> wrote in message
> We have an ASA 7.0.3.2046 setup with several branches replicating to and
> from a consolidated database via SQL Remote. At each end we have the
> following trigger on one of our tables:
>
> alter trigger
> DBA.tub_item before update on auction.item
> referencing old as old_upd new as new_upd
> for each row
> begin
>   if current remote user is null then
>     set new_upd.last_modified_by=current user;
>     set new_upd.date_last_modified=getdate(*)
>   end if
> end
>
> The problem that sometimes occurs is this. A user updates a field on the
> item table, which fires the trigger. The update action and the trigger
> action are replicated to the consolidated database (we have replication of
> trigger actions turned on). On the consolidated database the trigger fires
> but does nothing, caught by the "if current remote user" condition. So
far,
> so good but then the consolidated database replicates the trigger action,
> but not the original update action, back to the branch database again,
where
> it may override actions taken on the branch database during the time it
took
> for replication to occur.
>
> Has anyone else seen, and preferably solved, a problem like this?
>

> David Tillotson
> Pickles Auctions
> david.tillotson@pickles.com.au

0
Robert

SQL Anywhere 8.0.2 SQL Remote FTP replication problems
Hi all, I have a problem setting up the FTP message control parameters with SQL Remote. I use the SET REMOTE FTP OPTION statement to do this. See an example. Considering a remote user with name 'pippo'... SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.host = 'my_host'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.user = 'mickey'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.password = 'mouse'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.root_directory = 'root_dir'; These four statements set FTP parameters for the pippo database user. This means that I want that the user pippo gain access to the replicati...

Replication Server with SQL Remote
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub43b1c33c Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi; We are trying to configure a Replication Server Warm Standby schema. We already have an SQL Remote replication runing in this server. We try to use the SQL Remote open server, but it didn' t work, we follow all the steps in the SQL Remote - Replication Server Manual, but it don't have enought information and we think, we are missig one step. We are sending the log of our SQL remote open server. Someone kn...

Replication is not replicating
The new database is added to the replication system but all tables on the RDB are empty. Setreptable is on and there's no uncommitted transaction. It is using default action class and there's no loss detection. Queue is caught up. We turned on "dsi_buf_dump" and it shows on the error log that the transaction executed on the PDB is replicated. However, the table is again empty on the RDB. Log is not full on both RDB and RSSD. Maint user is dbo. What else can I take a look at? PDS and RDS is 11.0.3.3, RS is 11.0.3 I don't remember since what version warm ...

SQL Remote stop replication problem
Hello, I use SQLAnywhere Studio 6.0.2, whith an WinNT server and Win98 Clients. I start SQL Remote in continuos mode with ftp message type, but in severals times it stop replication with the message: Sending message failed Execution completed. Why this happen? Thanks. Jacques Marques jacques@consis.com.br If dbremote is unable to connect to the ftp server or if it loses the connection to the ftp server, then it will report the error and shut down. If you want dbremote to close on completion, then you need to use the -k switch. To get more information about the error...

remote-to-remote replication problem
I have a problem replicating item detail from one remote site to another. The data is in two tables, header and detail. A header and its detail are first created. Later, the status of the header is changed, and the change of status allows the header and detail to replicate. A trigger on the header issues an UPDATE ... PUBLICATION on the detail. The test environment is HQ, remote1, and remote2. If this data is created at HQ, it correctly replicates to remote1 and remote2. However, if the data is created at remote1, it correctly replicates to HQ, but only the header data replic...

SQL Remote hangs during FTP replication (still the same problem)
I posted this already on 28/5/2001. Version : Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0.3 EBF 3114 Replication using FTP (Microsoft IIS 4.0, NT4.0 Service Pack 6a). For some reason the replication hangs for 4 hours, and then continues. I've changed the TCP/IP settings to what Reg Domaratzki suggested but this does not change anything. I also changed the FTP server timeout from 4 hours to 2 hours and to 1 hour. If the timeout is set to 4 hours, the replication hangs for (exactly) 4 hours. If the timeout is set to 1 hour, the replication hangs for (exactly) 1 hours. see a part of t...

Replicating trigger action with SQL remote (SQL/Anywhere)
I need to replicate the actions of a trigger in one of my tables. I've tried to use the -t option when running dbremote, but this still does not replicate the trigger actions. Is there a solution to this problem? I need to replicate the action of the trigger because I'm trying to do the following: I need a sigle unique id for record in a table, and that table may be inserted into at any number of remote databases, and at the consolidated database. I've used an autoincrement column and a current publisher column as the actual unique primary key, and have another column ...

sql replication problem
all, i tried to use replication with sql server. i used a merge replication. i need to run a mirror version of the dnn elsewhere and was told to use replication. with a working dnn with sql server, i used replications. as soon as i have done something with replication and working, i try to access dnn which was working b4 and now gives an error. getting error : A column named 'rowguid' already belongs to this DataTable. as a being a newbie with sql, is there any docuemtnation with replication with dnn as a focus. i see many docs on sql but i need sth with dnn, anyhelp is a...

sql replication problem
all, i tried to use replication with sql server. i used a merge replication. i need to run a mirror version of the dnn elsewhere and was told to use replication. with a working dnn with sql server, i used replications. as soon as i have done something with replication and working, i try to access dnn which was working b4 and try a error. getting error : A column named 'rowguid' already belongs to this DataTable. as a being a newbie with sql, is there any docuemtnation with replication with dnn as a focus. i see many docs on sql but i need sth with dnn, anyhelp is apreciated...

SQL Remote Replication
Anybody tried using SQL remote to do replication between two ASE? I don't need Replication Server just basic replication. since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, I thought why not give it a try! Hi, I just started research on SQL-Anywhere Remote using FILE and MAPI as well. It's a realy nice feature, cause I do update data not so offten. So, just try it out. BTW what means ASE Chriss BH Ong schrieb in Nachricht <01befd97$8f8994c0$7ccdc8c8@virtual-branch>... >Anybody tried using SQL remote to do replication between two ASE? I don't >need Replication Ser...

SQL Remote Replication
I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem connection with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time files are distributed). The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to a simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be transferred and to what directories? Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done? The modem connection ...

ASE Replicator or SQL Remote
We have several 11.9.x servers running on RH Linux that we need a simple replication solution for. These severs will be upgraded to 12.5 over a year or so. Rep sever seems overkill. I have been looking at the new ASE Replicator in 12.5 and SQL Remote that was designed for 11.9.x. Here are my questions: If I set up one 12.5 db and use it as the primary database can it publish data to the 11.9.x servers? Is SQL Remote going to be a supported product or is Sybase encouraging users to move to Replicator? Does SQL Remote run on Linux? Which is eaiser, more reliable? T...

SQL Remote and ASE Replicator
Hello, Is it possible to use SQL Remote and ASE Replicator on the same database? SQL Remote and Replication Server for example have such capability when you use ssqueue. -- JT Both the ASE replicator and SQL Remote for ASE need to exclusively manage ASE's secondary truncation point in order to identify the oldest data page in syslogs that they need to start scanning from. There is only 1 secondary truncation point, and by the nature of it, it can not be shared between processes to identify more than one page. This is why we included the SSQueue as a solution for an ASE ...

SQL remote replication stops
Hello, I have a problem with SQL Remote replications via FILE (the same with another message types). dbremote 7.0.4.3489 dbtran and dblog are not showing any errors. there is no gap/space in log files. Remote site is only getting messages from consolidated, but nothing sending to consolidated. When dbremote starts, it shows correct start of transaction log, starting scan and finishing without any outcoming message. Seems like dbremote is not scaning log or checking bad offsets. .. I. 10/27 15:57:03. Transaction log "c:\test\03101600.LOG" starts at offset 0006864...

Web resources about - SQL Remote replication problem - sybase.sqlanywhere.replication

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...