Replication Server and SQL Remote

Hi,
I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and
DBRemote toghether.

I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and
DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers).

According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with Rep
Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the central
site.

We are thinking in the following products:
* Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1)
* Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote.
* Remote Sites disconnected: ASA replicating with dbremote, via intermediate
server.
* Remote Sites connected: ASE replicating in direct mode with Central
Server.

Thanks for any suggestion or experience.

Gabriel Mautino.
sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar

0
Gabriel
1/11/2000 3:47:00 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.replication 4591 articles. 0 followers. Follow

This is a very standard configuration, looks something like this:

ASE <-> RS <-> ASA <- 100's of asa -> ASA

You must use and licence the Rep Agent for ASA to replicate between RS and
ASA.  DBRemote is used between ASA and ASA.

You can also use this picture:
RS <-> ASE <- 100's of asa -> ASA

In this case, you would use SSRemote to replicate FROM ASE to ASA.
An added complication is the requirement of using SSQueue so that ASE can
also replicate with RS.

This solution is limited based on SQLRemote publications.  It really depends
on what you are doing and why you are trying to do.

--
David Fishburn
Sybase

Gabriel Mautino <sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and
> DBRemote toghether.
>
> I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and
> DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers).
>
> According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with
Rep
> Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the
central
> site.
>
> We are thinking in the following products:
> * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1)
> * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote.
> * Remote Sites disconnected: ASA replicating with dbremote, via
intermediate
> server.
> * Remote Sites connected: ASE replicating in direct mode with Central
> Server.
>

> Thanks for any suggestion or experience.
>

> Gabriel Mautino.
> sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar

0
David
1/11/2000 2:36:41 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Aditionals questions:
* What is SSQueue? An aditional product that enable ASE to replicate with RS
and SQL Remote?
* We have ASE 11.9.2 for UnixWare and I can't find a executable file for
dbremote. Is dbremote available for all ASE platforms?

Thanks.

Gabriel Mautino

David Fishburn escribi� en mensaje <84sKUGEX$GA.223@forums.sybase.com>...
>This is a very standard configuration, looks something like this:
>

>ASE <-> RS <-> ASA <- 100's of asa -> ASA
>
>You must use and licence the Rep Agent for ASA to replicate between RS and
>ASA.  DBRemote is used between ASA and ASA.
>
>You can also use this picture:
>RS <-> ASE <- 100's of asa -> ASA
>
>In this case, you would use SSRemote to replicate FROM ASE to ASA.
>An added complication is the requirement of using SSQueue so that ASE can
>also replicate with RS.
>
>This solution is limited based on SQLRemote publications.  It really
depends
>on what you are doing and why you are trying to do.
>

>--
>David Fishburn
>Sybase
>Please only post to the newsgroup
>

>Gabriel Mautino <sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and
>> DBRemote toghether.
>>
>> I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and
>> DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers).
>>
>> According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with
>Rep
>> Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the
>central
>> site.
>>
>> We are thinking in the following products:
>> * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1)
>> * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote.
>> * Remote Sites disconnected: ASA replicating with dbremote, via
>intermediate
>> server.
>> * Remote Sites connected: ASE replicating in direct mode with Central
>> Server.
>>

>> Thanks for any suggestion or experience.
>>

>> Gabriel Mautino.
>> sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar

0
Gabriel
1/11/2000 7:01:02 PM
> * What is SSQueue? An aditional product that enable ASE to replicate with
RS
> and SQL Remote?

You specifically indicated that the ASE box must ALSO replicate with Rep
Server.  I am assuming the other database is either another ASE database or
DB2 or Oracle or something OTHER than ASA.

Because of this, SSQueue was created.
By default SSRemote wants to scan the ASE transaction log and replicate
transactions.
BUT
The Rep Agent for ASE also wants to scan the transaction log to replicate
the changes to the other databases.

So, who gets to scan the log, RAASE or SSRemote?

The answer is, The Rep Agent for ASE gets to.  You setup SSQueue as another
replicate database receiving all the same changes that the other database
would receive.  It takes care of populating the SSRemote tables
(sr_transaction), so that SSRemote can also replicate what it needs to.

This means you must run either:
a)  ssremote -c "..." -r   AND ssremote -c "..." -s
b) ssremote -c "..." -r -s
Specifically avoiding the log scanning phase -i.

> * We have ASE 11.9.2 for UnixWare and I can't find a executable file for
> dbremote. Is dbremote available for all ASE platforms?

The exe is called SSRemote (for SQL Server).
It is a separate product that must be ordered, please contact Sybase
1-800-8-SYBASE

--

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Aditionals questions:
> * What is SSQueue? An aditional product that enable ASE to replicate with
RS
> and SQL Remote?
> * We have ASE 11.9.2 for UnixWare and I can't find a executable file for
> dbremote. Is dbremote available for all ASE platforms?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gabriel Mautino
>

> David Fishburn escribi� en mensaje <84sKUGEX$GA.223@forums.sybase.com>...
> >This is a very standard configuration, looks something like this:
> >

> >ASE <-> RS <-> ASA <- 100's of asa -> ASA
> >
> >You must use and licence the Rep Agent for ASA to replicate between RS
and
> >ASA.  DBRemote is used between ASA and ASA.
> >
> >You can also use this picture:
> >RS <-> ASE <- 100's of asa -> ASA
> >
> >In this case, you would use SSRemote to replicate FROM ASE to ASA.
> >An added complication is the requirement of using SSQueue so that ASE can
> >also replicate with RS.
> >
> >This solution is limited based on SQLRemote publications.  It really
> depends
> >on what you are doing and why you are trying to do.
> >

> >--
> >David Fishburn
> >Sybase
> >Please only post to the newsgroup
> >

> >Gabriel Mautino <sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and
> >> DBRemote toghether.
> >>
> >> I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and
> >> DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers).
> >>
> >> According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server
with
> >Rep
> >> Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the
> >central
> >> site.
> >>
> >> We are thinking in the following products:
> >> * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1)
> >> * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote.
> >> * Remote Sites disconnected: ASA replicating with dbremote, via
> >intermediate
> >> server.
> >> * Remote Sites connected: ASE replicating in direct mode with Central
> >> Server.
> >>

> >> Thanks for any suggestion or experience.
> >>

> >> Gabriel Mautino.
> >> sgabriel@arcride.edu.ar

0
David

sql remote, replication server
Hi All, I have a main location, where Sybase ASE and most users are sitting, and one secondary locations connected through internet where more users access main database with PowerBuilder applications. Of course, in the secondary location PB applications run slow. People in the secondary location does a lot of read from database, and few updates. I tried web deploy kit, but it is too slow (we need LOTS of stuff on screen, constantly updated). Now I think of having two databases, that are kept synchronized by "something" (e.g. overnight). My question is, what should "s...

Replication Server with SQL Remote
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub43b1c33c Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi; We are trying to configure a Replication Server Warm Standby schema. We already have an SQL Remote replication runing in this server. We try to use the SQL Remote open server, but it didn' t work, we follow all the steps in the SQL Remote - Replication Server Manual, but it don't have enought information and we think, we are missig one step. We are sending the log of our SQL remote open server. Someone kn...

Replication is not replicating
The new database is added to the replication system but all tables on the RDB are empty. Setreptable is on and there's no uncommitted transaction. It is using default action class and there's no loss detection. Queue is caught up. We turned on "dsi_buf_dump" and it shows on the error log that the transaction executed on the PDB is replicated. However, the table is again empty on the RDB. Log is not full on both RDB and RSSD. Maint user is dbo. What else can I take a look at? PDS and RDS is 11.0.3.3, RS is 11.0.3 I don't remember since what version warm ...

Replication sql-anywhere-> Oracle without replication server?
Replication sql-anywhere-> Oracle without replication server? Anyone got some experience to share? /Jonas Replication Server is the only way to do this. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please post only to the news group. Jonas Bonde wrote in message ... >Replication sql-anywhere-> Oracle without replication server? > >Anyone got some experience to share? > >/Jonas > > ...

Replication
We are going to be installing AS Enterprise in home office and AS Anywhere in the field. We would like to use an autoincrement key on some tables. Is there a good way to avoid duplicate keys. Also, are there any pitfalls to using the two different servers for replication. TIA Fred. You cannot take advantage of the special IDENTITY data type when creating a replication definition with an ASA db as the subscriber. If you try this, replication of inserts from ASE to ASA will fail, because the rep server will try to issue a "set identity_insert tablename on" comman...

Replicate SQL Anywhere Text column to ASE using Replication Server
Hi everyone, Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive Server Enterprise? TIA Virginia yes. Replication of BLOBs works fine /steve -- Stephen Rice Manager Custom Support Sybase Canada Inc. email: srice@sybase.com virginia cheung wrote in message <01bdf3e7$6ed5c420$010414ac@star>... >Hi everyone, > >Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using >Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive >Server ...

SQL Remote with Existing Replication Server Installation
I've been trying to run SQL Remote with RS and have not yet figured it out. Keep getting the following error once I create a RS connection to the SQL Remote Open Server: E. 12/22 12:33:50. Error 2812: Stored procedure 'bogus' not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output). I. 12/22 12:33:50. ATTENTION handler active E. 12/22 12:33:59. CTLIB Failure 01010110: ct_command(): user api layer: external error: This routine cannot be called while results are pending for a command that has been sent to t...

San replication for replication server
Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk with the intention of replication the stable queues and RSSD to a DR sire via SAN replication In other words replicate the entire replication server across the SAN and bring it up whe DR is invoked would there be any datalose on teh stables queues ? any issues David wrote: > Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk with > the intention of replication the stable queues and RSSD to a > DR sire via SAN replication > In other words replicate the entire replication server > across the SAN and bring it up ...

SQL remote message will hangs when replicating and hang the server.
Do you have the problem that (on ASA 704 on Window 2003.) some SQL remote message will hangs when replicating and hang the server. There is no error was written in the error log. But after I delete the fisrt message from the consol and restart the server, and resend the message from remote database the SQL remote runs fine. Any ideas? Not that we are aware of ... but I don't believe anything 7.0.x was ever tested on W2K+3 ... but it is unlikely to be an OS issue; especially if this if file based. You might want to be more specific about what you mean by a hang here; this ...

Bi-directional replication with Replication Server
What are the databases that participate in bi-directional replication with a SQL Anywhere database? I heard that you can replicate only INTO MS SQL Server, but not out (into SQL Anyhwere). Does the same limitation hold for Adaptive Server Enterprize (a.k.a. Sybase SQL Server) or Oracle on NT? Please note that we are developing for Win95/Win NT paltform only. Any feedback is appreciated. Sergey Beyder Inspectech Corp. SQL Anywhere can participate fully and bidirectionally in a Rep Server setup. This means that it can replicate bidirectionally with ASE on all platforms. It can re...

Replicating trigger action with SQL remote (SQL/Anywhere)
I need to replicate the actions of a trigger in one of my tables. I've tried to use the -t option when running dbremote, but this still does not replicate the trigger actions. Is there a solution to this problem? I need to replicate the action of the trigger because I'm trying to do the following: I need a sigle unique id for record in a table, and that table may be inserted into at any number of remote databases, and at the consolidated database. I've used an autoincrement column and a current publisher column as the actual unique primary key, and have another column ...

SQL Server Replication
I want to test SQL Server replication.  Can I create two databases and replicate between on the same server as to give me an idea on how replication will work?Or should I use two completely seperate SQL servers to test replication?Any good links to setting up the replication?Thanks! You don't need two servers to configure replication, the only requirement SQL Server Agent with a service account with Admin level permissions.   Run a search for replication configuration and requirements  in the BOL(books online).   I am assuming you know it is a resource intensi...

replication to SQL-Server
Hi, wei� hier jemand, ob es m�glich ist eine Replikation von Daten der Sybase Datenbank auf einen MS SQL-Server zu replizieren? Oder noch besser hat das schon einmal jemand gemacht? does anybody knows if it is able to make replication from Sybase to MS SQL-Server 7. Or better, did anybody practice this with success? Thanx, Markus Hello Markus, Yes, Sybase supports replication to and from MS SQLServer 7.0 Sybase has a DirectConnect for MS SQLServer product that will act as a "Sybase" server (from a Rep Server point of view), using ODBC to communicate to SQLServ...

SQL Remote Replication
I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem connection with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time files are distributed). The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to a simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be transferred and to what directories? Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done? The modem connection ...

Web resources about - Replication Server and SQL Remote - sybase.sqlanywhere.replication

DNA replication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DNA replication is a biological process that occurs in all living organisms and copies their DNA ; it is the basis for biological inheritance ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Google deprecates old App Engine datastore in favor of High-Replication version
Google is deprecating the Master/Slave Datastore used by its cloud platform App Engine in favor of the High-Replication Datastore (HRD), which ...