Server database remote to consolidated database

Dear community,

our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet) and
the database which to be replicated  "B" (Oracle) are on
different boxes. The Mobilink replication will be done
between A and many clients "C".

Questions:

1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to handle
this configuration ?

2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via odbc
from the remote database ?

3. If not, would it be possible to use for a replication
between A and B the Mobilink Server (the client is A and the
server is B) ? This barmy idea because of saving costs -
Mobilink will be licensed anyway for teh replication between
A and clients C's.

4. Because of saving costs and keeping the interface between
A and B small & simple is the most appropriate way to
dumping data from B to A. Is there any experiences, best
practices or a simple (cheep) piece of sofware in case the
database A is Sybase and B is Oracle (dumping from Oracle to
Sybase) ?

Thanks in advance,

Michel77
0
Michel77
4/3/2008 10:33:51 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 From your description if sounds like all your data is stored in the
Oracle database. This in my opinion would be your consolidated database.
At this point you have two options:

1) Use the iAnywhere Oracle ODBC driver, with MobiLink, and synchronize
data directly from the Oracle database to your remotes. MobiLink
supports Oracle as a consolidated database, and if the Oracle database
can handle the load, this would be a good solution.

OR

2) Use a SQL Anywhere staging database that connects to Oracle and pulls
out data using some customized method. Then use the iAnywhere ODBC
driver, with MobiLink, and synchronize data to your remotes. This
solution requires an extra tier, but removes the load from your Oracle
database during synchronization.

If I misunderstood the configuration and where you data is stored,
please correct me.

HTH

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager

Michel77 wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet) and
> the database which to be replicated  "B" (Oracle) are on
> different boxes. The Mobilink replication will be done
> between A and many clients "C".
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to handle
> this configuration ?
>
> 2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via odbc
> from the remote database ?
>
> 3. If not, would it be possible to use for a replication
> between A and B the Mobilink Server (the client is A and the
> server is B) ? This barmy idea because of saving costs -
> Mobilink will be licensed anyway for teh replication between
> A and clients C's.
>
> 4. Because of saving costs and keeping the interface between
> A and B small & simple is the most appropriate way to
> dumping data from B to A. Is there any experiences, best
> practices or a simple (cheep) piece of sofware in case the
> database A is Sybase and B is Oracle (dumping from Oracle to
> Sybase) ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michel77
0
Josh
4/3/2008 2:24:20 PM
As Josh has correctly pointed out, our typical definition of a
consolidated would be your Oracle database.  What did you
intend 'consolidated' to mean in your usage?

"Josh Savill" <no_spam_jsavill@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> From your description if sounds like all your data is stored in the Oracle
> database. This in my opinion would be your consolidated database. At this
> point you have two options:
>
> 1) Use the iAnywhere Oracle ODBC driver, with MobiLink, and synchronize
> data directly from the Oracle database to your remotes. MobiLink supports
> Oracle as a consolidated database, and if the Oracle database can handle
> the load, this would be a good solution.
>
> OR
>
> 2) Use a SQL Anywhere staging database that connects to Oracle and pulls
> out data using some customized method. Then use the iAnywhere ODBC driver,
> with MobiLink, and synchronize data to your remotes. This solution
> requires an extra tier, but removes the load from your Oracle database
> during synchronization.
>
> If I misunderstood the configuration and where you data is stored, please
> correct me.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Joshua Savill
> Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
>
> Michel77 wrote:
>> Dear community,
>>
>> our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet) and
>> the database which to be replicated  "B" (Oracle) are on
>> different boxes. The Mobilink replication will be done
>> between A and many clients "C".
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to handle
>> this configuration ?
>>
>> 2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via odbc
>> from the remote database ?
>>
>> 3. If not, would it be possible to use for a replication
>> between A and B the Mobilink Server (the client is A and the
>> server is B) ? This barmy idea because of saving costs -
>> Mobilink will be licensed anyway for teh replication between
>> A and clients C's.
>>
>> 4. Because of saving costs and keeping the interface between
>> A and B small & simple is the most appropriate way to
>> dumping data from B to A. Is there any experiences, best
>> practices or a simple (cheep) piece of sofware in case the
>> database A is Sybase and B is Oracle (dumping from Oracle to
>> Sybase) ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Michel77

0
Nick

Josh understood me correctly.

But just to make sure, here extract from MobiLInk
Documentation:

"Consolidated database:    This database holds system tables
and procedures that are required by MobiLink
synchronization, as well as state information needed to
synchronize. It also typically contains the central copy of
information in the synchronization system."

I mean:

(A) Consolidated database = MobiLink system Repository
We will own this database (Oracle, Sybase,...)

(B) But our environment is not typical, data (to be
replicated) is owned by an other company and it is an Oracle
database.

(C) The clients will owned by our company too.

We have free choice for the replication mechanism, but
placing software at (B) is very expensive. Therefore we wont
install the MobiLink repository on (B)

Remarks:

-(A) and (B) are separated by two firewalls (and DMZ between
them) but in the same physical network.
- We have thousands of clients

Questions:

- Using Mobilink Repository (A) with direct access to
Database (B) causes additional traffic  (i) in Network, at
(ii) Firewalls resp. (iii) at Proxies - in every
synchronisation to the clients (C). Isn't it ?
- Saving cost has priority 1. Therefore having SQL Anywhere
staging database would be not the cheepest solution. Isnt'it
?
- Mobilink repository can be installed only on SQL Anywhere,
Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise, Oracle, IBM DB2 UDB  or
on Microsoft SQL Server. But ist there any limitation for
the database (B) ?
- Is there further configurations which save costs ?

Thanks in advance,

Michel77

> As Josh has correctly pointed out, our typical definition
> of a consolidated would be your Oracle database.  What did
> you intend 'consolidated' to mean in your usage?
>

> "Josh Savill" <no_spam_jsavill@ianywhere.com> wrote in
> message  news:47f4e894$1@forums-1-dub...
> > From your description if sounds like all your data is
> > stored in the Oracle  database. This in my opinion would
> > be your consolidated database. At this  point you have
> two options: >
> > 1) Use the iAnywhere Oracle ODBC driver, with MobiLink,
> > and synchronize  data directly from the Oracle database
> > to your remotes. MobiLink supports  Oracle as a
> consolidated database, and if the Oracle database can
> > handle  the load, this would be a good solution.
> >
> > OR
> >
> > 2) Use a SQL Anywhere staging database that connects to
> > Oracle and pulls  out data using some customized method.
> > Then use the iAnywhere ODBC driver,  with MobiLink, and
> > synchronize data to your remotes. This solution
> requires an extra tier, but removes the load from your
> > Oracle database  during synchronization.
> >
> > If I misunderstood the configuration and where you data
> > is stored, please  correct me.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Joshua Savill
> > Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
> >
> > Michel77 wrote:
> >> Dear community,
> >>
> >> our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet)
> and >> the database which to be replicated  "B" (Oracle)
> are on >> different boxes. The Mobilink replication will
> be done >> between A and many clients "C".
> >>
> >> Questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to
> handle >> this configuration ?
> >>
> >> 2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via
> odbc >> from the remote database ?
> >>
> >> 3. If not, would it be possible to use for a
> replication >> between A and B the Mobilink Server (the
> client is A and the >> server is B) ? This barmy idea
> because of saving costs - >> Mobilink will be licensed
> anyway for teh replication between >> A and clients C's.
> >>
> >> 4. Because of saving costs and keeping the interface
> between >> A and B small & simple is the most appropriate
> way to >> dumping data from B to A. Is there any
> experiences, best >> practices or a simple (cheep) piece
> of sofware in case the >> database A is Sybase and B is
> Oracle (dumping from Oracle to >> Sybase) ?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Michel77

0
Michel77
4/4/2008 7:18:45 AM
Michel77 wrote in news:47f5d655.ef8.1681692777@sybase.com:

Michel, I think the following architecture is what you are looking for :

Your (A) database will be a SQL Anywhere database, which from a
cost standpoint is far cheaper than Oracle.  All the MobiLink System
tables will exist on this database.  You now have two choices on
how to access the data on the (B) Oracle system :

1) Create proxy tables on the SQL Anywhere Consolidated.  Proxy tables
are just "pointers" in the SQL Anywhere database that point to tables
that exist in another databases.  As long as you can make an ODBC
connection from the machine where the SQL Anywhere Consolidated is
running to the (B) Oracle server, this should work.

2) Use the MobiLink Direct Row API.  The direct row API allows you to
write Java or .NET code with access to the data in the upload and
download streams.  You write the code that handles the data in the
synchronization stream.  While this is more work that option #1, it
gives you ultimate flexibility with your solution.

With either solution, your Firewall/proxy concerns between (A) and (B)
do not need to consider anything about synchronization at all.  If using
option 1, you can consider the database engine as an ODBC app that
is connecting to (B).  If using option 2, as long as you can write
a Java or .NET app that can connect to (B), you will be able to connect
from the ML Server as well.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Docs : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

> [...]
>> >
>> > HTH
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joshua Savill
>> > Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager

>> and >> the database which to be replicated  "B" (Oracle)
>> are on >> different boxes. The Mobilink replication will
>> be done >> between A and many clients "C".

>> handle >> this configuration ?

>> odbc >> from the remote database ?

>> replication >> between A and B the Mobilink Server (the
>> client is A and the >> server is B) ? This barmy idea
>> because of saving costs - >> Mobilink will be licensed
>> anyway for teh replication between >> A and clients C's.

>> between >> A and B small & simple is the most appropriate
>> way to >> dumping data from B to A. Is there any
>> experiences, best >> practices or a simple (cheep) piece
>> of sofware in case the >> database A is Sybase and B is
>> Oracle (dumping from Oracle to >> Sybase) ?

0
Reg

Replication of consolidated database to remote database; for columns added to a table in the consolidated database.
I want to find out if I add columns to a data table in the consolidated database and then extract it for a remote database. Will the added columns appear in the remote database automatically? or do I have to deploy the extracted remote database by copying it to the remote machine. Currently the consolidated database and the remote database get replicated nightly and they have connections already established. Due to established connections, will the extracted database automatically get deployed to the remote machine with the updated table? Try it, that is the best way to check ...

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

Please help: Mobilink script is applied to the consolidated database or remote database
Hi, I have a table called Customer in both Remote and Consolidated database. In the table there is a status field. i wrote in my end_download script: update Customer set status = 'd' where customerID = @customerID @customerIS is created in the begin_download script. I understand the end_download script above will affect the consolidated database. However, if i wrote in my end_upload script: update Customer set status = 'u' where customerID = @customerID @customerID is created in the begin_upload script. I dont know if the end_upload above will affect my...

uploading data from the remote database to a consolidated database.
hi all, im using a ASA 8.0.2 build 4089 as a mobilink server in my win2k. and ASA CE 8.0.2 im my pocket pc 2002 device. im using mobilink sync server 8.0.2 build 4089 im confused which sync events i should use. to upload data from my remote db to the consolidated db. i need to upload rows from my remote db to the consolidated db. i tried upload_insert . upload_update events . but every time the upload_inster event fires first and it gives a primary key conflict error in my CD db. can any one explain me how to design the upload procees? i need to insert , update and delete in my co...

Replication of entire consolidated database to remote database
Hi Friends, i need to replicate the entire consolidated database into remote databse through Mobilink.. can any body suggest me the simpliest way of doing????(what exactly i need is how to make my remote databse should contain same data which my consolidated has...) thanks in advance.... waiting for reply Govada "Nageswara Rao" <tnagesh@i-vantage.com> wrote in news:efRU$hd9CHA.317@forums-1-dub: > i need to replicate the entire consolidated database into remote > databse through Mobilink.. > can any body suggest me the simpliest way of...

create ASA remote database out of consolidated database
I am trying to make a remote database out of a consolidated database. The scheme of the remote database should be parallel in structure to the scheme of the consolidated database. The database has about 300 tables. In all our tables is a identifier company_id and in some tables (about 200) the identifier user_id. After the remote database is created synchronisation should work as follows: The tables with the identifier user_id are changed in the remote database and should be uploaded to the consolidated database. The tables with no user_id are changed in the consolidated dat...

mobilink with sql server as consolidated database
I am using sql server 2000 as consolidated database and in the device I am using asa 10.0.1.3686 with Pocket Builder 2.5 previously in sybase 9 I have that to manage a temporal table in the mobilink to manage environment variable that used in the different events, the same thing happens in mobilink 10, when I work with sql server like consolidated database "LAPI" <luisponceibarra@hotmail.com> wrote in news:48359692@forums-1-dub: > I am using sql server 2000 as consolidated database and in the device I am > using asa 10.0.1.3686 with Pocket Builder 2.5...

Prevent sync of selected remote database changes with consolidated database
Hi everyone, I have query from one of my customers using SQLAnywhere 9.0.1. They are asking whether there is a way to prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes such that these changes are not reflected in the consolidated database. I was looking through the documentation and found a STOP SYNCHRONIZATION DELETE command but I believe this only prevents deletes from being synched to the backend. You have probably written MobiLink scripts to handle the uploaded inserts/updates/deletes. You could implement a consolidated database table to hold the MobiLink user ids th...

Mobilink server / consolidated database in maintenance
Hi, I was wondering if there is a preferred way of dealing with synchronisation requests whilst the consolidated database server was down for maintenance? With the Mobilink server stopped clients simply fail to connect a socket (as you would imagine!). If there a more graceful way of information the client database that the server is not in fact missing, just down for maintenance. Thanks in advance. Phil MobiLink 11 11.0.1.2044 There are many approaches to address this concern. All of which use multiple ML servers and some redirector or load balancing. See the det...

How to delete duplicate rows from remote database when they have successfully replicated back to the consolidated database?
Hello, I have a SQL remote replication setup with a central consolidated database and many remote databases. For simplicity sake I have a table called period_sale (sale_code, period_number, sale_amount, branch_id) which participates in replication and the publication to which this table belongs has a SUBSCRIBE BY branch_id. Also the subscription that has been created for each of the remote branch to this publication has a subscription value of branch_id. In other words the subscription for branch_id of HAR001 was created using CREATE SUBSCRIPTION TO pub_dailytrans ('HAR0...

Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running
I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact, running. If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work within a minute or so again. Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this annoying problem? Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the error clears itself up... RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030 RT Can you post the parameters you filled in...

Replicating passwords from one remote database to other remote databases
I am attempting to replicate password changes from a remote database to the consolidated database to all other remote databases. The reason I am attempting this is we are implementing "multi-user" remote databases, where a db user created on the consolidated can be on one or more remote databases. I want to only allow remote users to change their db passwords, but have those password changes replicate to all other remote databases. My initial thought was to have a table that maintained db user name and encrypted password that would be subscribed to by all remote databas...

Is there a way of asking the remote database to Re-send statements that have failed to be applied at the consolidated database because of referential integrity ?
Helo, The scenario: We have a consololidate database with a table 'client_site'. The remote database also has this table 'client_site'. The client_site table is an article in a publication and the SUBSCRIBE BY on client_site is by 'site_ref' which is the PK in the client_site table. I also do not include a column list with the articles, so it assumes all columns in the table participate in replication For some strange mis-management reason, this table at the remote end has a column 'month_end_run_ts' which is not present in the consolidated ...

Dev servers consolidation
I like to gather thoughts on how your firms setup Dev boxes for ASE servers. 1. Does any developer have their own ASE to work on? 2. Or they can share 1 ASE, with their own databases? My firm has too many ASE dev servers, I like to find a Good way to reduce ASE counts. If Oracle or MS-SQL or DB2 have better methods to accommodate more developers simultaneous working on 1 project, I like to know. Are there some 3rd party tool or home grown tools can facility create a big ASE with many many databases; and developers can do the works w/o interfere with each other. For example,...

Web resources about - Server database remote to consolidated database - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Consolidated B-24 Liberator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Consolidated B-24 Liberator was an American heavy bomber , designed by Consolidated Aircraft of San Diego, California . It was known within ...

IPO-Related Lawsuits Against Facebook Consolidated, To Be Heard In New York
All of the lawsuits over Facebook’s bungled initial public offering are going to make a brand-new start of it in old New York, as a panel of ...

Consolidated Media Holdings - Business - brisbanetimes.com.au
Rupert Murdoch is now at the mercy of two people in order to get his hands on a greater slice of the Australian pay television market - the Prime ...

More than 70 government agencies to be scrapped, consolidated in federal budget
Government to consolidate and scrap more than 70 government bodies.

Consolidated sells 23% BC Iron stake
Sky News is Australia's leader in 24-hour news. BC Iron shares have fallen 2.5 per cent after a major shareholder, Consolidated Minerals, sold ...

Former player part of consolidated bid to revive Canberra's NBL club
He played in the very last match for the Cannons in 2003, and now Brad Williams is one of the faces behind a consolidated push to revive a National ...

Australian gold miner Kingsgate Consolidated accused of bribing Thai officials
Thailand's Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating an allegation that Australian gold mine operator Kingsgate Consolidated bribed Thai state ...

Possible Seven bid for Consolidated raises ACCC concerns
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has raised concerns about a possible bid by Seven for Consolidated Media.

Gail Shea Denies Books Burned As Fisheries Libraries Consolidated
Fisheries Minister Gail Shea is denying reports that scientific research was burned or discarded in the name of cost-cutting. And Shea says the ...

Google Hangouts for Android getting smarter with natural language parsing, consolidated contacts
You've long been able to share your location with contacts in Hangouts chats, but the Google Hangouts for Android app is today getting a little ...