Prevent sync of selected remote database changes with consolidated database

Hi everyone,

I have query from one of my customers using SQLAnywhere 9.0.1. They are
asking whether there is a way to prevent logging of certain
inserts/updates/deletes such that these changes are not reflected in the
consolidated database. I was looking through the documentation and found a
STOP SYNCHRONIZATION DELETE command but I believe this only prevents deletes
from being synched to the backend.

0
Justin
3/12/2008 6:54:44 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You have probably written MobiLink scripts to handle the uploaded
inserts/updates/deletes. You could implement a consolidated database
table to hold the MobiLink user ids that you want to disable, and
query that table in the MobiLink scripts. This might be easy in the
upload_update and upload_delete scripts.

Before going further, though, please explain exactly what you mean by
"prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes"

Breck

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com
0
Breck
3/12/2008 8:40:23 PM
Hi Breck,

What I meant with "prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes" is
that I believe Mobilink works by reading a log of insert/update/delete
statements and making sure that the same statements are run on the
consolidated database. My customer whether there is a way to prevent logging
of certain statements via maybe a turn on logging / turn off logging option.
I don't think that disabling certain Mobilink users would work in their
case.

"Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
wrote in message news:onfgt39523jl4gjca12i7jnln511q9d7tm@4ax.com...
> You have probably written MobiLink scripts to handle the uploaded
> inserts/updates/deletes. You could implement a consolidated database
> table to hold the MobiLink user ids that you want to disable, and
> query that table in the MobiLink scripts. This might be easy in the
> upload_update and upload_delete scripts.
>
> Before going further, though, please explain exactly what you mean by
> "prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes"
>
> Breck
>
> On 12 Mar 2008 10:54:44 -0800, "Justin Wong" <justin.wong@sybase.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I have query from one of my customers using SQLAnywhere 9.0.1. They are
>>asking whether there is a way to prevent logging of certain
>>inserts/updates/deletes such that these changes are not reflected in the
>>consolidated database. I was looking through the documentation and found a
>>STOP SYNCHRONIZATION DELETE command but I believe this only prevents
>>deletes
>>from being synched to the backend.
>>

> --
> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> breck.carter@risingroad.com

0
Justin
3/13/2008 1:42:43 AM
AFAIK there is no straightforward way to stop synchronization of
inserts and updates like there is for deletes. I am not sure if ALTER
PUBLICATION DROP TABLE could be made to work for you... or maybe ALTER
PUBLICATION ALTER article WHERE 1 = 0... those are just WAGs,
absolutely no guarantees about fitness to task :)

Breck

On 12 Mar 2008 17:42:43 -0800, "Justin Wong" <justin.wong@sybase.com>
wrote:

>Hi Breck,
>
>What I meant with "prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes" is
>that I believe Mobilink works by reading a log of insert/update/delete
>statements and making sure that the same statements are run on the
>consolidated database. My customer whether there is a way to prevent logging
>of certain statements via maybe a turn on logging / turn off logging option.
>I don't think that disabling certain Mobilink users would work in their
>case.
>
>"Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
>wrote in message news:onfgt39523jl4gjca12i7jnln511q9d7tm@4ax.com...
>> You have probably written MobiLink scripts to handle the uploaded
>> inserts/updates/deletes. You could implement a consolidated database
>> table to hold the MobiLink user ids that you want to disable, and
>> query that table in the MobiLink scripts. This might be easy in the
>> upload_update and upload_delete scripts.
>>
>> Before going further, though, please explain exactly what you mean by
>> "prevent logging of certain inserts/updates/deletes"
>>
>> Breck
>>
>> On 12 Mar 2008 10:54:44 -0800, "Justin Wong" <justin.wong@sybase.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I have query from one of my customers using SQLAnywhere 9.0.1. They are
>>>asking whether there is a way to prevent logging of certain
>>>inserts/updates/deletes such that these changes are not reflected in the
>>>consolidated database. I was looking through the documentation and found a
>>>STOP SYNCHRONIZATION DELETE command but I believe this only prevents
>>>deletes
>>>from being synched to the backend.
>>>

>> --
>> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>>
>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
>> breck.carter@risingroad.com

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com
0
Breck
3/13/2008 2:30:31 PM
"Justin Wong" <justin.wong@sybase.com> wrote in

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have query from one of my customers using SQLAnywhere 9.0.1. They are
> asking whether there is a way to prevent logging of certain
> inserts/updates/deletes such that these changes are not reflected in the
> consolidated database. I was looking through the documentation and found
> a STOP SYNCHRONIZATION DELETE command but I believe this only prevents
> deletes from being synched to the backend.

There is no easy way to stop uploading inserts/updates like you can for
deletes.
There are two approaches that might help you though. Both require some way of
identifying the rows that you do not want reflected on the consolidated.

1) Make your upload scripts ignore the above rows as Breck mentioned.

2) Use the where clause in the publication to ignore such rows. However, this
   can have other side-effects that you might not expect. Such as sending up
   a delete instead of an update when the where is not satisfied.

Shuchit
0
Shuchit

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

Replication of consolidated database to remote database; for columns added to a table in the consolidated database.
I want to find out if I add columns to a data table in the consolidated database and then extract it for a remote database. Will the added columns appear in the remote database automatically? or do I have to deploy the extracted remote database by copying it to the remote machine. Currently the consolidated database and the remote database get replicated nightly and they have connections already established. Due to established connections, will the extracted database automatically get deployed to the remote machine with the updated table? Try it, that is the best way to check ...

Please help: Mobilink script is applied to the consolidated database or remote database
Hi, I have a table called Customer in both Remote and Consolidated database. In the table there is a status field. i wrote in my end_download script: update Customer set status = 'd' where customerID = @customerID @customerIS is created in the begin_download script. I understand the end_download script above will affect the consolidated database. However, if i wrote in my end_upload script: update Customer set status = 'u' where customerID = @customerID @customerID is created in the begin_upload script. I dont know if the end_upload above will affect my...

Schema changes (create table) on existing remote database doesn't synchronise existing records from consolidated database.
We have an existing ASA 9 database who syncs through Mobilink with an Oracle consolidated database. When we create a new table in the ASA database and that table with data already exists in the consolidated database, the synchronization will not download the records because the timestamp of the last synchronization is greater than the timestamps in the table on the consolidated database. How can this easily been solved? Thanks in advance. Finding a way to unload the Oracle table data into a file and finding a way to ship that file out, so that you can use LOAD TABLE statements ...

Server database remote to consolidated database
Dear community, our consolidated database "A" (db not determinated yet) and the database which to be replicated "B" (Oracle) are on different boxes. The Mobilink replication will be done between A and many clients "C". Questions: 1. Is it possible to configure the Mobilink Server to handle this configuration ? 2. If so, does the Mobilink Server pull the data via odbc from the remote database ? 3. If not, would it be possible to use for a replication between A and B the Mobilink Server (the client is A and the server is B) ? This barmy idea b...

create ASA remote database out of consolidated database
I am trying to make a remote database out of a consolidated database. The scheme of the remote database should be parallel in structure to the scheme of the consolidated database. The database has about 300 tables. In all our tables is a identifier company_id and in some tables (about 200) the identifier user_id. After the remote database is created synchronisation should work as follows: The tables with the identifier user_id are changed in the remote database and should be uploaded to the consolidated database. The tables with no user_id are changed in the consolidated dat...

Refreshing the remote database and changing database structure
Hi, I have Mobilink synchronization setup between two SQL Anywhere 11 databases. Everything is working fine but I wanted to know if it is possible to cause the remote database to refresh it's entire contents from the consolidated database. I previously used Intellisync to synchronise databases and it had a refresh option on the server which allowed you to specify a certain user and then at the next sync it would just download the entire consolidated database and overwrite the local remote one. This was useful if a device was reinstalled or hadn't synced for a while. At the ...

uploading data from the remote database to a consolidated database.
hi all, im using a ASA 8.0.2 build 4089 as a mobilink server in my win2k. and ASA CE 8.0.2 im my pocket pc 2002 device. im using mobilink sync server 8.0.2 build 4089 im confused which sync events i should use. to upload data from my remote db to the consolidated db. i need to upload rows from my remote db to the consolidated db. i tried upload_insert . upload_update events . but every time the upload_inster event fires first and it gives a primary key conflict error in my CD db. can any one explain me how to design the upload procees? i need to insert , update and delete in my co...

Replication of entire consolidated database to remote database
Hi Friends, i need to replicate the entire consolidated database into remote databse through Mobilink.. can any body suggest me the simpliest way of doing????(what exactly i need is how to make my remote databse should contain same data which my consolidated has...) thanks in advance.... waiting for reply Govada "Nageswara Rao" <tnagesh@i-vantage.com> wrote in news:efRU$hd9CHA.317@forums-1-dub: > i need to replicate the entire consolidated database into remote > databse through Mobilink.. > can any body suggest me the simpliest way of...

Disabling database changes tracking for remote database
Hi everyone, I've been battling an issue with slow synchronization for some time now and finally figured out some of the potential bottlenecks. I have a table that stores binary data, there is only a download scripts defined for the table (download_cursor, download_delete_cursor) as no changes are allowed to it on the remote database. However I see that every time the table is updated, on the next synchronization Mobilink uploads table operations for this particular table. Thus if the amount of data inserted into the table was large, on the next synchronization attempt all...

SQL Remote: No changes written to consolidated database
Hello all, I have got a consolidated database and one subscription database. When I apply changes to my consolidated database they are replicated into the subscription database fine but when I apply changes to my subscription database they NEVER appear in the consolidated database (although all replication messages are received OK) - can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Maybe there is a hidden option I need to activate? Thank you very much, with best regards, Tim > . . . . ) - can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Like most of us, probably plenty...

Selective sync for remote database in CustDB .NET
UltraLite .NET API. Build - SQL Anywhere Studio 9.0.0 (1233) Development tool - .NET 2003 (.NET Compact Framework) Hi I have added a column to ULOrder table in CustDB .NET sample in the remote database through Schema Painter. This causes errors while synchronizing since the update scripts don't consider this newly added column. Hence I want that column to be excluded during synchronization. Is this possible? I tried creating a publication at the remote database (again from Schema Painter) but it does not allow me select columns from a table. Regards. Asim. There is no...

How to delete duplicate rows from remote database when they have successfully replicated back to the consolidated database?
Hello, I have a SQL remote replication setup with a central consolidated database and many remote databases. For simplicity sake I have a table called period_sale (sale_code, period_number, sale_amount, branch_id) which participates in replication and the publication to which this table belongs has a SUBSCRIBE BY branch_id. Also the subscription that has been created for each of the remote branch to this publication has a subscription value of branch_id. In other words the subscription for branch_id of HAR001 was created using CREATE SUBSCRIPTION TO pub_dailytrans ('HAR0...

Replicating passwords from one remote database to other remote databases
I am attempting to replicate password changes from a remote database to the consolidated database to all other remote databases. The reason I am attempting this is we are implementing "multi-user" remote databases, where a db user created on the consolidated can be on one or more remote databases. I want to only allow remote users to change their db passwords, but have those password changes replicate to all other remote databases. My initial thought was to have a table that maintained db user name and encrypted password that would be subscribed to by all remote databas...

Web resources about - Prevent sync of selected remote database changes with consolidated database - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Consolidated B-24 Liberator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Consolidated B-24 Liberator was an American heavy bomber , designed by Consolidated Aircraft of San Diego, California . It was known within ...

IPO-Related Lawsuits Against Facebook Consolidated, To Be Heard In New York
All of the lawsuits over Facebook’s bungled initial public offering are going to make a brand-new start of it in old New York, as a panel of ...

Consolidated Media Holdings - Business - brisbanetimes.com.au
Rupert Murdoch is now at the mercy of two people in order to get his hands on a greater slice of the Australian pay television market - the Prime ...

More than 70 government agencies to be scrapped, consolidated in federal budget
Government to consolidate and scrap more than 70 government bodies.

Consolidated sells 23% BC Iron stake
Sky News is Australia's leader in 24-hour news. BC Iron shares have fallen 2.5 per cent after a major shareholder, Consolidated Minerals, sold ...

Former player part of consolidated bid to revive Canberra's NBL club
He played in the very last match for the Cannons in 2003, and now Brad Williams is one of the faces behind a consolidated push to revive a National ...

Australian gold miner Kingsgate Consolidated accused of bribing Thai officials
Thailand's Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating an allegation that Australian gold mine operator Kingsgate Consolidated bribed Thai state ...

Possible Seven bid for Consolidated raises ACCC concerns
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has raised concerns about a possible bid by Seven for Consolidated Media.

Gail Shea Denies Books Burned As Fisheries Libraries Consolidated
Fisheries Minister Gail Shea is denying reports that scientific research was burned or discarded in the name of cost-cutting. And Shea says the ...

Google Hangouts for Android getting smarter with natural language parsing, consolidated contacts
You've long been able to share your location with contacts in Hangouts chats, but the Google Hangouts for Android app is today getting a little ...