mobilink newbie questions

greetings im new in mobilink and there are some issues that i would like
kindly to ask for assistance.

1) what is the 'normal' procedure for creating an application in mobilink. i
mean briefly what are the steps neccessary to do, (if there is some other
thread plz point me there). i need to make a c sharp application that runs
on windows mobile 6.1 and synchronizes sql anywhere client with a backend
database (e.g. oracle). so far i have done (but im not sure if it is
correct) :
        a) Set up database (consolidated)
        b) install mobilink
        c)create synchronization model using the wizard
        d)the wizard at the end creates a bat file for the mobilink server,
run that
        e)use the deploy for windows ce, that creates a cab file
        f)manuall trasnfer the cab file to the handheld, instal it run the
dbsrv12
        e)run the dbmlsync to sync then use the ado_net_sample.. to verify
that the data are downloaded.
are these steps correct?is there another simpler better way to do things?

2)the cab file for the sqlanywhere installation is manually transfered to
the handhelds or is there another sybase way to download it?moreover the c
sharp application cab file is transfered again manuall or is there any
mobilink mechanism for transfering application cab files to the client (e.g.
for first install or for later update?)

3) i have seen that besides the database file, a log file is created on the
client which is pretty large, do i need that?how can i deactivate creating a
log?it takes too much space on my handheld

4)when i sync, i see a tmp file created on my handheld's temp windows folder
which i very big. that file is not deleted after the sync?what is this file
for? is the tmp file holding the data for the first sync (the downloaded
data) ?if yes should i delete it manually at the end in order to earn the
space on my handheld?or is there an automatic way to delete it?

5)i have a lot of space issues which on my handheld are extremelly
important. i see that my database file is very large. its about 80 mb, ihave
downloaded 5 tables which have about 60k lines. why is the db file so
big?should i use some specific data types in my oracle database?i use
varchar2, number.

6)the database is created on the sd card, which is correct because of
limited space on the main memmorry. i see some slow processing on the first
sync, it takes more than an hour for 5 tables, i guess im doing something
wrong, any ideas where to look for the source of the time consuming problem?

7) the dbsrv12 on the client must run at all times?

8)finally, from your experience what should i use for intermec cne-cn4-cn5
handheld models?sql anywhere or ultralite client? they all run windows
mobile 6.1 at the momment but some might go for win mobile 6.5 in the
future. performance level is very important.

thank you for your time

0
vasileiosk
12/27/2010 7:10:31 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello,

On 27/12/2010 2:10 AM, vasileiosk wrote:
> greetings im new in mobilink and there are some issues that i would like
> kindly to ask for assistance.

Welcome to MobiLink!

> 1) what is the 'normal' procedure for creating an application in
> mobilink. i mean briefly what are the steps neccessary to do, (if there
> is some other thread plz point me there). i need to make a c sharp
> application that runs on windows mobile 6.1 and synchronizes sql
> anywhere client with a backend database (e.g. oracle). so far i have
> done (but im not sure if it is correct) :
> a) Set up database (consolidated)
> b) install mobilink
> c)create synchronization model using the wizard
> d)the wizard at the end creates a bat file for the mobilink server, run
> that
> e)use the deploy for windows ce, that creates a cab file
> f)manuall trasnfer the cab file to the handheld, instal it run the dbsrv12
> e)run the dbmlsync to sync then use the ado_net_sample.. to verify that
> the data are downloaded.
> are these steps correct?is there another simpler better way to do things?

Yes, you have the basic idea down - the "Introduction to MobiLink"
tutorial covers these similar steps:

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlstart/ml-sc-tutorial.html

The difference for your situation from the tutorial will be in the
client deployment section - the tutorial linked above assumes you're
using a desktop machine, where you would actually want to use a device.

> 2)the cab file for the sqlanywhere installation is manually transfered
> to the handhelds or is there another sybase way to download it?moreover
> the c sharp application cab file is transfered again manuall or is there
> any mobilink mechanism for transfering application cab files to the
> client (e.g. for first install or for later update?)

"First" installs on devices will typically require some type of
deployment mechanism that you devise. (See:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/dbprogramming/pg-deploy.html ).

After the initial install has been run, you can use MobiLink to push out
files to remotes using the mlfiletransfer utility (10.0.x and up -
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlclient/mc-utilities-s-3497114.html
), or using "Central Administration of Remotes" (new in 12.0.0 -
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlserver/ml-centraladmin.html ).

If you wish to completely control remote deployment/software management,
including "first deployment" scenarios, I would recommend that you
investigate purchasing a complete remote-device software/security
management tool such as Sybase Afaria (
http://www.sybase.com/products/mobileenterprise/afaria ).

> 3) i have seen that besides the database file, a log file is created on
> the client which is pretty large, do i need that?how can i deactivate
> creating a log?it takes too much space on my handheld

The transaction log is required for use by dbmlsync in order to scan for
new data that has been added to the database since the last time
synchronization has taken place. Without it, synchronization would not
be able to succeed. For more information, see:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/dbadmin/da-dbfiles-s-4160005.html

You can however control the size of the transaction log by only keeping
the required information from it. You can configure this to happen
automatically at synchronization time in two steps:

1. Change the "DELETE_OLD_LOGS" database option:

SET OPTION delete_old_logs = 'On';

2. Use "dbmlsync -x" switch when running dbmlsync:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlclient/x-mobilink-ml-syncclient.html

This will ensure the transaction log is maintained with only the
required information for synchronization purposes.

> 4)when i sync, i see a tmp file created on my handheld's temp windows
> folder which i very big. that file is not deleted after the sync?

The file should be cleared if the download is successful and dbmlsync is
shut down cleanly.

> what is this file for? is the tmp file holding the data for the first sync (the
> downloaded data) ?

Basically you're correct - it is the stored download information from
the server:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlserver/ml-synchtech-s-5287936.html
, which can be used for a "recoverable download" if the transmission is
interrupted.

> if yes should i delete it manually at the end in order
> to earn the space on my handheld?or is there an automatic way to delete it?

You should not have to maintain this file; it should be self-managed.

> 5)i have a lot of space issues which on my handheld are extremelly
> important. i see that my database file is very large. its about 80 mb,
> ihave downloaded 5 tables which have about 60k lines. why is the db file
> so big?should i use some specific data types in my oracle database?i use
> varchar2, number.

Database size is controlled by a number of factors. See the description
in the help:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/dbadmin/da-unexpected.html

So a couple of points here:

1) Remember that the SQL Anywhere database will not shrink the database
size when data is deleted; it will instead try to re-use "empty" pages
once data is deleted from them. So while you may only think you have "X"
amount of data in your database, you may have additional *free* space
available, based on the database's usage history. "dbinfo -u" can give
you more details about the internal page usage of a database. (
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/dbadmin/dbinfo.html )

2) Designing for smaller, remote devices can be challenging - do you
really need all of this data at every device, or can the data be
partitioned further? For instance, if you're designing a "Sales"
application, do all salespeople need the total list of customers, or do
they really just need their assigned customer lists...?

Here are some other tips for designing your mobile application:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlstart/mg-basics-s-5238705.html

> 6)the database is created on the sd card, which is correct because of
> limited space on the main memmorry. i see some slow processing on the
> first sync, it takes more than an hour for 5 tables, i guess im doing
> something wrong, any ideas where to look for the source of the time
> consuming problem?

We would need to understand how you set up your application in general -
do you set up synchronization first and then add a lot of data to the
database? If so, it may just be the processing time that is required for
the large amount of initial data you have added since you enabled
synchronization. In general, if you have a "template" database that you
are starting out the application with (with data that does not require
to be re-synchronized back to the consolidated), it is best to create
the template data first, and then add synchronization information after
you have loaded the data.

> 7) the dbsrv12 on the client must run at all times?

This is the database server process, so anytime you wish to synchronize
or access the database via your application, yes, this process must be
running. It does not have to run at *all* times on the device however -
it can be "auto-started" and "auto-stopped" as applications attempt to
connect to it. See the "ASTART" and "ASTOP" and "START" connection
parameters in the help:

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/dbadmin/autostart-connection.html

> 8)finally, from your experience what should i use for intermec
> cne-cn4-cn5 handheld models?sql anywhere or ultralite client? they all
> run windows mobile 6.1 at the momment but some might go for win mobile
> 6.5 in the future. performance level is very important.

The database technology you choose is based on your application
requirements - note that there are architectural limitations between SQL
Anywhere and UltraLite that may be important to you:

Features:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/uladmin/fo-intro-s-5247753.html

Limitations:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/uladmin/fo-intro-s-5236376.html

Note that I have answered all of your previous questions above assuming
SQL Anywhere as the client; the UltraLite development experience is
slightly different (See:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html?r=1#1200en/mlclient/ultraliteclients-ml-basics.html
).

Cheers,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/
0
Jeff

A newbie question on Mobilink and MSSQL Server
Hi, I am newbie to mobilink syhcronization. I have a current project that need to synchronization a database in Palm to MSSQL Server. As I understand the following, am I right? MSSQL(MyDatabase) <--- ODBC ---> MobiLink <--- Serial/TCPIP ---> Palm Application (UltraDatabase) Can anyone teach me how to connect my SQL database to mobilink? I had read some documentation but still not clear about the concept, and I can't find any example on this. I try to create a database in SQL Server and add ODBC connection, then use mobilink (Sybase Central) to make a new mobi...

MobiLink Questions...
ASA 9.0.1/ML Server/Client (1862) a)How can i prevent this warning message? Unable to convert the string "aaa" from the system collation to the database collation. I made consolidate db and remote db fresh, still getting this error on synchronization. b) How can i make -x / delete_old_logs combination working? Again i created remote db with delete_old_logs flag on and then used -x 2M as sync option. It did created new log file, but old log file is never deleted. c) How can reset log file for consolidate database with has ml user's? TIA SanJay "...

question about mobilink
Hi I'm using mobilink to replication data from SQL-Anywhere to MS-SQL Server 7.0 But there was a question, when I want to change de primary key of one record, it was a message give me:"Can not update because this table had already be synchronized". What could I do to fix it? Thank you for help P.S The version of sqlanywhere was 7.0.2 1402 Proper database design means you should never update the columns of a primary key. Why do you want/need to do this? -- David Fishburn Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase - iAnywhere Solu...

Questions Mobilink
Hello I have any questions of Mobilink Server.. 1) How thread can up the MObilink Server for connections of DB remotes? 2) What signific ODBC complaint Database (Example: connectivity with all RDBMS way ODBC: Oracle, Informix, Access, etc) ? > 1) How thread can up the MObilink Server for connections of DB remotes? I dont understand this question. Can you re-word. > 2) What signific ODBC complaint Database (Example: connectivity with all > RDBMS way ODBC: Oracle, Informix, Access, etc) ? From the 7.x documentation: Introducing SQL Anywhere Studio PART 3....

Mobilink question
Hello everybody, Does anyone know the history(timeline) of Mobilink? DODO wrote... > Hello everybody, > > Does anyone know the history(timeline) of Mobilink? > You might want to post this in the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink newsgroup. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] ...

Mobilink
Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a migration=20 from dbeng6 6.0.3(2747).. I want to know if is necessary to start the mobilink server everytime I=20 execute the hotsync, or the dbhsync7.dll do it. This is because my application doesn=B4t synchronize if mobilink server it= =B4s=20 not running. With the dbhsync6.dll I didn=B4t have to start the mobilink.. Thanks in advance. Oscar_G. wrote in news:7D8968B7027F03A8006BECE085256C9F.006BECF785256C9F@webforums: > Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a > migration fr...

mobilink
im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as waiting for upload acknoladgement..then its not responding i have done it severtims succesfuli and made some changes on DB..can you do me some help.i did this with a new fresh db but didnt workout...plz help me.. kamal bandara wrote in news:46b30adb.3834.1681692777@sybase.com of sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder: kb> im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's kb> but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as kb> waiting for uplo...

Mobilink
I have created scripts for uploading and downloading data. When I test the scripts I get no errors but when I exit the mobilink manager I get an error: Error while opening the "Synch Tables" container. General Error What should I do? What version and more importantly build number of ASA are you using? What version of the ML plugin are you using, this can be retrieved from the Tools->Plugins from the ML Manager. You can so download the EBF for 6.0.3 from below and try that. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please only post to the newsgroup Sybase Developers Network...

MobiLink ??
hi How can use MobiLink synchronization asa and oracle or other database ?? The Mobilink Synchronization server makes an ODBC connection to the consolidate database (in your case Oracle). Remote clients (ASA clients in your case) will connect to the Mobilink Synchronization server to upload and download changes. I'd suggest going through the tutorial in the Replication and Synchronization Guide (Chapter 6). The tutorial uses ASA as the consolidated, but once you understand the concepts, remember that the Synchornization server is just using an ODBC connection to the co...

What is MobiLink?
Hi, I am new to mobile computing, I know Mobilink is synchronization technology, is it equal to M-Business Anywhere product ? Or M-Business Anywhere product use the MobiLink technology ? Please advise. Thanks. Derek wrote: > > I am new to mobile computing, I know Mobilink is synchronization technology, > is it equal to > M-Business Anywhere product ? Or M-Business Anywhere product use the > MobiLink technology ? > No, MobiLink and M-Business Anywhere are separate products. You can implement similar solutions with them ("mobile" data col...

Kill MobiLink session via MobiLink Monitor
It should be possible to kill an individual MobiLink session. Breck Thanks Breck. It's on our wishlist, but no promises. Cheers, Graham Breck Carter wrote: > It should be possible to kill an individual MobiLink > session. > > Breck ...

About MobiLink
Dear sirs, What is the MobiLink? Can I raise a question about Ultra-Lite in this forum? Thanks in advance, Bill Lui E-mail : luichiming@hotmail.com MobiLink is a synchronization technology that Sybase has developed that allows you to: 1. Develop and UltraLite application OR An application that uses the full version ASA as a remote database 2. Synchronize the database from the remotes (ASA and UltraLite) to a consolidated database (so far we have tested Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2 and of couse Sybase ASE and ASA. The MobiLink technology was introduced in ASA 6...

Mobilink
Is it possible to run two instances of Mobilink on the same machine? Will they run independently side by side monitoring different ports without affecting each other? Laura Keaveney wrote: > Is it possible to run two instances of Mobilink on the same machine? > Will they run independently side by side monitoring different ports > without affecting each other? Yes, it is possible. When running multiple ML servers on the same machine, I'd always suggest specifying the port you are using, even if it's the default port. mlsrv11 -x tcpip(port=2638) -c "dsn=Co...

A question about mobilink and trigger
HI, I am debutant in mobilink technology. I have a bi-directionnal synchronized table with a trigger on insert,update in the consolidated database (Oracle) which makes an insert in a log table. The trigger and the log table arent't synchronized. When i make an insert and run a synchronization the trigger insert is fired but when i make an insert and after an update on the same line, only one trigger is fired. My question is the following: Does mobilink play all the sql orders on the consolidated database when different sql orders on the same line are made on the distant da...

Web resources about - mobilink newbie questions - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Ohio Removes Question About Driver's Licenses From Job Form
Ohio has removed the question asking job applicants if they have a driver's license from the state's online hiring system.

A Question for Adam
Is there any plausible scenario in which the United States does not get involved in the current Saudi/Iran imbroglio and just treat it like a ...

All-inclusive honeymoon destinations and other travel questions answered
Q: My nephew is getting married in August and has asked for my help planning his honeymoon to the Caribbean. He doesn’t have a lot of money to ...

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ script reveals answers to our burning questions
One of the things many of us did this Christmas was see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters. The first movie in the new Star Wars saga is ...

"When Chris Wallace asks Bush if he squandered his initial advantage by failing to come up with a 'message' ...
"... which the media cares about more than he does. Instead, Bush wants to talk about how he's 'on the ballot in every state,' which is 'hard' ...

At Some Point Something Will Make Everyone Question If They Still Want To Acquiesce To A Lesser-Of-Two ...
I keep seeing one of those annoying automated spam tweets-on-endless-repeat from The Hill : "Billionaire George Soros said he regretted backing ...

Question #6 for 2015: Will real wages increase in 2016?
Earlier I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'll try to add some thoughts, and maybe some predictions for ...

Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ...
Chippewa Herald Tom Oates: Quarterback, safety among the biggest questions for Badgers ... Chippewa Herald Replacing stellar safeties Michael ...

Seven questions to help you keep your New Year resolutions
We know from bitter experience that New Year's resolutions seem to disappear faster than a cold turkey sandwich.