'String data, right truncated. Error in parameter...' error

We are using ASE 12.5 as consolidated, ASA 9.0.2 3267 as remote.

The upload_update script for our 'request_queue' table is failing with the
following error:

E. 08/14 14:55:43. Message: ODBC: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol
driver]String data, right truncated. Error in parameter 3. (ODBC State =
22001, Native error code = 0).  Table Name: Request_Queue.  Primary Key(s):
11686

The definition of the remote table is as follows:

CREATE TABLE "dbo"."Request_Queue" (
 "Request_Queue_Id"       unsigned int NOT NULL ,
 "Client"       varchar(128) NULL ,
 "Code"         smallint NULL ,
 "Stmt"     varchar(16000) NULL ,
 "Status"          varchar(10) NULL ,
  PRIMARY KEY ("Request_Queue_Id") )

The definition of the consolidated table is as follows:

create table dbo.Request_Queue
(Request_Queue_Id numeric(18,0) identity,
Client varchar(128) default db_name() not null,
Code smallint default 1 not null,
Stmt text default 'New Request Queue' not null,
Status varchar(10) default 'NEW' not null,
Lastmodified datetime default getdate() not null)

The upload_update script looks like this:

update Request_Queue
set Client = ?, Code = ?, Stmt = ?, Status = ?
where Request_Queue_Id = ?

Parameter 3, as specified in the error message is 'Stmt'. The actual length
of the column in the remote is 8,398 bytes. But I don't see anywhere where a
truncation error should be happening. We have successfully synched with
lengths of less than 3,000 but this is our first synch with a text value
this big. (We are updating remote stored procedures using MobiLink. That big
Stmt column contains a stored procedure)

Does anybody else see something?

0
Douglas
8/14/2006 10:28:22 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

While I do not see the specific ASE error for this, the use of
identity is not normally an option for ML with ASE.

Ignoring the lack of  an explicit declaration for a primary key
(which may be the source of the actual error you are getting
 right this moment) and ignoring the mismatch in data types
(which are not equivalent at all and should be reconciled),
you will hit a known issue with the identity default.

For inserts at the remote ML must provide the value for the
primary key to the ASE server.   The ASE server is going
to simply reject all such attempts unless *ALL* of the following
are true:

    - The account ML is using is the table owner (the so called
      dboo) or the database owner (the so called dbo); the dbo
      also must be granted explicit insert permissions on this
      column.  The sa account can fall into the role of the dbo.

    - You explicitly 'set' the ASE option 'identity_insert' on
and
    - you have not collided on the insert forcing an 'upsert'
      situation (for which you need to see identity_update too
      and figure a way to make both work all of the time)

which is exactly something you probably should not be attempting
normally.  You have not attempted setting the option, and you may
not want to connect with the owner/dbo account permissions.

Possibly the most disturbing  aspect of this is the fact that ASE does
not perform duplicate checking with this option set; unless you correct
the lack of the explicit primary key mentioned above.

A procedure owned by the table owner (with the appropriate
permissions granted) may be an option but I would recommend
a complete rethink before going this route.

Some references of note:

   - for the 'set' command see the Reference Manual : Commands
     in your online set or one of the web available ones like:
     http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.commands/html/commands/commands85.htm

    - for the functionality of identity_insert and the limitations of this
      approach scroll down the descript of this feature as well as the
      other reference guide sections; notably the Transact SQL User Guide
      "Chapter 9: Adding, Changing, and Deleting Data".

    - also visit the identity_update while you are there

    - see the Note: for ASE when setting up your ODBC DSN
    http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/odbc_mobilink902.html#_Sybase_Adaptive_Server_1

"Douglas" <doogie414@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are using ASE 12.5 as consolidated, ASA 9.0.2 3267 as remote.
>
> The upload_update script for our 'request_queue' table is failing with the
> following error:
>
> E. 08/14 14:55:43. Message: ODBC: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol
> driver]String data, right truncated. Error in parameter 3. (ODBC State =
> 22001, Native error code = 0).  Table Name: Request_Queue.  Primary
> Key(s):
> 11686
>
> The definition of the remote table is as follows:
>
> CREATE TABLE "dbo"."Request_Queue" (
> "Request_Queue_Id"       unsigned int NOT NULL ,
> "Client"       varchar(128) NULL ,
> "Code"         smallint NULL ,
> "Stmt"     varchar(16000) NULL ,
> "Status"          varchar(10) NULL ,
>  PRIMARY KEY ("Request_Queue_Id") )
>
> The definition of the consolidated table is as follows:
>
> create table dbo.Request_Queue
> (Request_Queue_Id numeric(18,0) identity,
> Client varchar(128) default db_name() not null,
> Code smallint default 1 not null,
> Stmt text default 'New Request Queue' not null,
> Status varchar(10) default 'NEW' not null,
> Lastmodified datetime default getdate() not null)
>
> The upload_update script looks like this:
>
> update Request_Queue
> set Client = ?, Code = ?, Stmt = ?, Status = ?
> where Request_Queue_Id = ?
>
> Parameter 3, as specified in the error message is 'Stmt'. The actual
> length
> of the column in the remote is 8,398 bytes. But I don't see anywhere where
> truncation error should be happening. We have successfully synched with
> lengths of less than 3,000 but this is our first synch with a text value
> this big. (We are updating remote stored procedures using MobiLink. That
> big
> Stmt column contains a stored procedure)
>
> Does anybody else see something?

0
Nick
8/15/2006 5:22:27 AM
I strongly suspect the problem will go away if you change the data type of
the "Stmt" column to match between the remote and consolidated.  Is there a
reason you defined the column to be varchar(16000) on the remote and a text
column on the consolidated?

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

> We are using ASE 12.5 as consolidated, ASA 9.0.2 3267 as remote.
>
> The upload_update script for our 'request_queue' table is failing with the
> following error:
>
> E. 08/14 14:55:43. Message: ODBC: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol
> driver]String data, right truncated. Error in parameter 3. (ODBC State =
> 22001, Native error code = 0).  Table Name: Request_Queue.  Primary
> Key(s):
> 11686
>
> The definition of the remote table is as follows:
>
> CREATE TABLE "dbo"."Request_Queue" (
> "Request_Queue_Id"       unsigned int NOT NULL ,
> "Client"       varchar(128) NULL ,
> "Code"         smallint NULL ,
> "Stmt"     varchar(16000) NULL ,
> "Status"          varchar(10) NULL ,
>  PRIMARY KEY ("Request_Queue_Id") )
>
> The definition of the consolidated table is as follows:
>
> create table dbo.Request_Queue
> (Request_Queue_Id numeric(18,0) identity,
> Client varchar(128) default db_name() not null,
> Code smallint default 1 not null,
> Stmt text default 'New Request Queue' not null,
> Status varchar(10) default 'NEW' not null,
> Lastmodified datetime default getdate() not null)
>
> The upload_update script looks like this:
>
> update Request_Queue
> set Client = ?, Code = ?, Stmt = ?, Status = ?
> where Request_Queue_Id = ?
>
> Parameter 3, as specified in the error message is 'Stmt'. The actual
> length
> of the column in the remote is 8,398 bytes. But I don't see anywhere where
> truncation error should be happening. We have successfully synched with
> lengths of less than 3,000 but this is our first synch with a text value
> this big. (We are updating remote stored procedures using MobiLink. That
> big
> Stmt column contains a stored procedure)
>
> Does anybody else see something?

0
Reg
8/15/2006 5:02:01 PM
Right you are Reg. I changed the remote datatype of column 'Stmt' to 'long
varchar' and the problem went away.

But due to the allowable length of ASE rows, we have to define Stmt as
'text' in the consolidated. That doesn't exist in ASA (does it?) so we'll go
with 'long varchar'. So we never can get a 'match' in datatypes, can we?

*sigh* I wish the client would just go all ASA..

"Reg Domaratzki (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FirstName.LastName@ianywhere.com>
wrote in message news:44e1fe09$1@forums-1-dub...
> I strongly suspect the problem will go away if you change the data type of
> the "Stmt" column to match between the remote and consolidated.  Is there
> reason you defined the column to be varchar(16000) on the remote and a
text
> column on the consolidated?
>
> --
> Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8
> Please reply only to the newsgroup
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
> iAnywhere Documentation :
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
>    -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
>    -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"
>

> "Douglas" <doogie414@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We are using ASE 12.5 as consolidated, ASA 9.0.2 3267 as remote.
> >
> > The upload_update script for our 'request_queue' table is failing with
the
> > following error:
> >
> > E. 08/14 14:55:43. Message: ODBC: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol
> > driver]String data, right truncated. Error in parameter 3. (ODBC State =
> > 22001, Native error code = 0).  Table Name: Request_Queue.  Primary
> > Key(s):
> > 11686
> >
> > The definition of the remote table is as follows:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE "dbo"."Request_Queue" (
> > "Request_Queue_Id"       unsigned int NOT NULL ,
> > "Client"       varchar(128) NULL ,
> > "Code"         smallint NULL ,
> > "Stmt"     varchar(16000) NULL ,
> > "Status"          varchar(10) NULL ,
> >  PRIMARY KEY ("Request_Queue_Id") )
> >
> > The definition of the consolidated table is as follows:
> >
> > create table dbo.Request_Queue
> > (Request_Queue_Id numeric(18,0) identity,
> > Client varchar(128) default db_name() not null,
> > Code smallint default 1 not null,
> > Stmt text default 'New Request Queue' not null,
> > Status varchar(10) default 'NEW' not null,
> > Lastmodified datetime default getdate() not null)
> >
> > The upload_update script looks like this:
> >
> > update Request_Queue
> > set Client = ?, Code = ?, Stmt = ?, Status = ?
> > where Request_Queue_Id = ?
> >
> > Parameter 3, as specified in the error message is 'Stmt'. The actual
> > length
> > of the column in the remote is 8,398 bytes. But I don't see anywhere
where
> > truncation error should be happening. We have successfully synched with
> > lengths of less than 3,000 but this is our first synch with a text value
> > this big. (We are updating remote stored procedures using MobiLink. That
> > big
> > Stmt column contains a stored procedure)
> >
> > Does anybody else see something?

0
Douglas
8/15/2006 5:15:58 PM
There is a TEXT data type in ASA, but it's just a domain that is implemented
as a LONG VARCHAR allowing NULL.  That's all the TEXT data type on ASE is.

The following sections in the ML documentation says what data types you
should use to map ASE data types to ASA data types.

MobiLink Administration Guide
DataType Conversions
Adaptive Server Enterprise data mapping

--

> [...]
>> > Stmt text default 'New Request Queue' not null,
>> > Status varchar(10) default 'NEW' not null,
>> > Lastmodified datetime default getdate() not null)
>> >
>> > The upload_update script looks like this:
>> >
>> > update Request_Queue
>> > set Client = ?, Code = ?, Stmt = ?, Status = ?
>> > where Request_Queue_Id = ?
>> >
>> > Parameter 3, as specified in the error message is 'Stmt'. The actual
>> > length
>> > of the column in the remote is 8,398 bytes. But I don't see anywhere
> where
>> > truncation error should be happening. We have successfully synched with
>> > lengths of less than 3,000 but this is our first synch with a text
>> > value
>> > this big. (We are updating remote stored procedures using MobiLink.
>> > That
>> > big
>> > Stmt column contains a stored procedure)

Error : Value of type 'System.Data.DataTable' cannot be converted to 'String'
Hi, I have a compilation error : Value of type 'System.Data.DataTable' cannot be converted to 'String'. I want to erase all the records in my Access database and update it with a DataTable. My code lines : Dim conn As OleDbConnection Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter Dim ds As DataSet Dim sql As String sql = "SELECT * FROM menu;" conn = New OleDbConnection( "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA Source=d:\www\tgc\prof_tech\fsthilaire\parametres_site\parametres_site.mdb" ) da = New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, conn) conn.Open() ds = New DataS...

Fileupload + ObjectDataSource Parameter Error: Cannot implicitly convert type 'byte[]' to 'string'

Sporadic 'Invalid length for a Base-64 char array', 'Invalid character in a Base-64 string' & 'Unable to validate data' errors on Windows 2008 Server (web garden)
Hello,We are running a fast growing social networking site written in ASP.NET and have recently updated our web server from Windows 2003 to 2008 version. With that move we started to see a large amount of certain errors to come in on number of pages. The errors are described on the very bottom of my post. At this point we have only one server running IIS7 running a web garden of 4 worker processes. They recycle once a day, at night. The site is using a StateServer running on the local box with the following setting in the web.config file:<sessionState mode="StateServer" stateCon...

SqlDataSource.Select Error: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.String'.
I am trying to use the select statement to put a field from my database using a SqlDataSource named 'FileBase.' I am using the following code: FileBase.SelectCommand = "SELECT Username FROM Files WHERE Filename = '" & myFileInfo.FullName & "'" myDataRow("Username") = CType(FileBase.Select(New DataSourceSelectArguments()), String)But when I run the code I get the following error:Server Error in '/YorZap' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.String'. Description:...

SqlDataSource.Select Error: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.String'.
I am trying to put the data from a field in my database into a row in a table using the SQLDataSource.Select statement. I am using the following code: FileBase.SelectCommand = "SELECT Username FROM Files WHERE Filename = '" & myFileInfo.FullName & "'" myDataRow("Username") = CType(FileBase.Select(New DataSourceSelectArguments()), String)But when I run the code, I get the following error:Server Error in '/YorZap' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Data.DataView' to type 'System.String'. Descri...

Ajax slideshow error: The server method 'GetSlides' failed with the following error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException--incorrect syntax near ')'.
Hello there, I am new to asp.net and ajax. I have been working non-stop trying to figure out what leads to the following error on my slideshow page: The server method 'GetSlides' failed with the following error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException--incorrect syntax near ')'.   My code is as follows: Imports System.Data Imports System.Data.Sql Imports System.Data.SqlClientPartial Class ProjectInherits System.Web.UI.Page <System.Web.Services.WebMethod()> _ <System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod()> _Public Shared Function GetSlides() As AjaxControlTo...

'System.String' to 'System.DateTime' error
Hi, I have a Gridview with templates and i set the format to Text='<%# Eval("PrescriptionDate", "{0:dd/MM/yyyy}") %>'  The objectDataSource: <asp:ObjectDataSource DeleteMethod="DeletePrescriptionDetails" InsertMethod="InsertPrescriptionDetails" ID="objDetails" runat="server" SelectMethod="GetAllPrescriptionDetails" UpdateMethod="UpdatePrescriptionDetails" TypeName="GridViewClasses"> <UpdateParameters> <asp:Parameter Name="PrescriptionId" Type="Int32" /> <asp:Parameter Name="MedicineId" Type="Int32" /> <asp:Parameter Name="ActualDose" Type="I...

Error 39 'System.Data.DataRow' does not contain a definition for 'Item'
for (i = 0; i <= ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count - 1; i++) { categoryID = ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].Item["categoryID"]; name = ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].Item["name"]; string catID = Convert.ToString(categoryID); ///Change made by me ddlCategory.Items.Add(new ListItem(name, catID)); qry = "Select count(categoryID) from categories where active = 'True' AND parentID=" + categoryID + ""; countCategories = objDB.getScalar(qry);       i get this errorIf the going seems easy, You are going DownHill... I've got the solution what you have to ...

Error: foreach statement cannot operate on variables of type 'System.Data.DataSet' because 'System.Data.DataSet' does not contain a definition for 'GetEnumerator', or it is inaccessible
I am getting error on this line DataSet dsdata=new DataSet(); SQL="Seelct * from tablename"; //dsdata contains result of the above query foreach(DataRow dr in dsdata) //This line gives error Error: foreach statement cannot operate on variables of type 'System.Data.DataSet' because 'System.Data.DataSet' does not contain a definition for 'GetEnumerator', or it is inaccessible DataSet dsdata=new DataSet(); SQL="Select * from tablename"; //dsdata contains result of the above query foreach(DataRow dr in dsdata.Tables[0].Rows) //This ...

error in ''%'' operator
hi... friends    i got this error (Syntax error: Missing operand after ''%'' operator)below statement. dtBtnScr.DefaultView.RowFilter = "LOCATION_CITY'" + txtCity.Text.Trim() + "%'AND LOCATION_STATE '" + ddlState.SelectedValue + "%'AND UNIT_ID'" + txtUnitCode + "%'AND UNIT_NAME '" + txtUnitName.Text.Trim() + "%'";   thnax friends It thinks you are trying to use the modulo operator: %. Look at the RowFilter string after you build it ...you should see the prob...

Error 60 Operator '&' is not defined for types 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' and 'String'.
The comment control is a textbox:<td align="right" style="width: 228px"><asp:TextBox ID="comment" runat="server" TextMode="multiLine" Rows="10" Columns="50" onkeyup="return ismaxlength(this)" Width="260px" Height="100px" Font-Overline="false" /></td> and I'm being told by VS (underlined in blue ) that the for the comment field: Error 60 Operator '&' is not defined for types 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' and 'String...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. Error
Hi, Can anyone help me with an error I am receiving "Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid."  I am creating an aspx page in VB.NET, please find attached code causing error.objCmd = New SqlCommand("USP_DisplayEmbarkDetails", objConn)  objCmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure  objCmd.Parameters.Add("@BranchID", lblGetBranchID.Text)  objConn.Open()  objRdr = objCmd.ExecuteReader()    While objRdr.Read     lblBranchName.Text=objRdr("BranchName")    lblBranchID.Text=objRd...

Error--Procedure 'SP_Insert_NewPipeLine' expects parameter '@CompanyId', which was not supplied.
Can any body help me in solving this problem. First I use to get Error which reads "Object Must Implement Iconvertible" After using the overloaded Sp.paramerers.add() function It started giving this problem. I am giving the sample code. ConObject = new SqlConnection(ConString); ConObject.Open(); string SpString ="dbo.SP_Insert_NewPipeLine"; SqlCommand CmdObject = new SqlCommand(SpString,ConObject); CmdObject.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure; CmdObject.Parameters.Add("@RequestTypeId",SqlDbType.Int,4,"0"); //CmdObject.Parameters["@RequestTypeId"].Value= 0; CmdObject.Parame...

mobilink error:user 'dba' has the row in 'table_name' locked.
when i run my pocketbuilder application in my pc,synchronization is ok, but when i deploy my application on my ipaq, sychronizaion sometimes is ok,sometimes failed. when failed, the message in synchronization windows is: "begin synchronization user:user1 pub names:napi E. 10/17 21:11:02. SQL statement failed:(-210) User 'DBA' has the row in 'table_name1' locked. end Synchronizaion error 1." by the way,i use 'dba' to connect my adaptive server i read the explains of the Error Message,is says :the probable cause is 'You attempted to read...

Web resources about - 'String data, right truncated. Error in parameter...' error - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink