WINDOWS 98 ODBC WITH SQLANYWHERE (versus working WINDOWS 95 ODBC MACHINE)

Our organization recently added a 3rd new PC to our little network.

The PC came with WINDOWS 98.  The new PC will be a client on the network.

Our POWERBUILDER 5.0 / SQLAnywhere application is running fine on the two
other machines (using WINDOWS 95 and ODBC drivers to SQLAnywhere).

When I run the applicaton through POWERBUILDER on the NEW Windows 98 machine
(seperate from the other two Windows 95 machines), I get one of three error
messages below.

1)    DATABASE ERROR:  SQLSTATE 08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable to
connect to database server:  unable to start database engine.

2)    DATABASE SQLSTATE 08S01 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Communication Link
Failure; Communication Buffer Overflow.

3)    POWERBUILDER ERROR:  Catalog Table could not be created and/or are
unavailable for use.

Is there anything we have to do to differently in the new ODBC environment
(which seems to have a different kind of ODBC manager - like FILE DSNs,
MACHINE DSNs and USER DSN) under WINDOWS 98, than on the WINDOWS 95
machines?

Thanks,

Darryl

0
dpj

We also have a mix of '95 and '98 (and NT) workstations, and ODBC works
exactly the same on all of them.  You have an error somewhere in the ODBC
profile on the new workstation.

> 1)    DATABASE ERROR:  SQLSTATE 08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable to
> connect to database server:  unable to start database engine.

This tells me that the '98 machine is trying to start a local database
engine, instead of starting a DBCLIENT connection to the server.  From here
on out, I'm assuming you're on SQLA 5.5.x.

Control Panel >> ODBC >> System DSN (don't use file or user dsns)
Select the profile - Configure
On the first dialog, make sure you have the Server Name and Database Name
entries correct.
Database File should be blank, and Custom should be selected.  Then click
Options.
Start Command should look something like:
C:\SQLANY50\win32\dbclient.exe -n <server name> -x tcpip

Select 'Not Specified' as the Agent, and uncheck 'AutoStop Database'.

Get that part done, and see if it doesn't correct the other problems as
well.

Paul Horan
VCI     www.twoplus.com
Springfield, MA

0
Paul
3/1/2000 4:42:05 PM
Add "-Z -o <filename>" to your startup command.  This will produce
additional debug information that might help you figure out what the
problem is.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
eganjp
3/2/2000 3:15:40 AM
ISSUE RESOLVED:

APPLICATION STILL WORKS UNDER WINDOWS 98.  ONLY CHANGE WAS AN UPGRADE TO
CLIENT TO VERSION 5.5.05 (Although I realized this was NOT require to fix
the problem).  Just had to play around with the ODBC settings.  For some
reason, I had to put DBENG50.EXE on the command line for the client to
connect (that is weird).  Oh well - Thanks all!

<dpj@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Our organization recently added a 3rd new PC to our little network.
>
> The PC came with WINDOWS 98.  The new PC will be a client on the network.
>
> Our POWERBUILDER 5.0 / SQLAnywhere application is running fine on the two
> other machines (using WINDOWS 95 and ODBC drivers to SQLAnywhere).
>
> When I run the applicaton through POWERBUILDER on the NEW Windows 98
machine
> (seperate from the other two Windows 95 machines), I get one of three
error
> messages below.
>
> 1)    DATABASE ERROR:  SQLSTATE 08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable to
> connect to database server:  unable to start database engine.
>
> 2)    DATABASE SQLSTATE 08S01 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Communication Link
> Failure; Communication Buffer Overflow.
>
> 3)    POWERBUILDER ERROR:  Catalog Table could not be created and/or are
> unavailable for use.
>
> Is there anything we have to do to differently in the new ODBC environment
> (which seems to have a different kind of ODBC manager - like FILE DSNs,
> MACHINE DSNs and USER DSN) under WINDOWS 98, than on the WINDOWS 95
> machines?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darryl

0
Darryl

Windows 98 OBDC / previously WINDOWS 95 ODBC
Our organization recently added a 3rd new PC to our little network. The PC came with WINDOWS 98. The new PC will be a client on the network. Our POWERBUILDER 5.0 / SQLAnywhere application is running fine on the two other machines (using WINDOWS 95 and ODBC drivers to SQLAnywhere). When I run the applicaton through POWERBUILDER, I get two error messages. One is that the system tables are not able to be written to and the other is and the other says that the DSN name is invalid or DSN not correct. (Keep in Mind that both the SERVER and CLIENT machine - across the room from the new ...

Windows ODBC driver for SQLAnywhere ver 5.5
Is it possible to get an Windows ODBC driver for SQLAnyWhere ver 5.5? Thanks Walter Walter, This should be part of the SQL Aynwhere setup package (which you should have somewhere if you are using SQL Aynwhere 5.5). Just select only the network client when you want to access a server in the network or only the local engine if you want to access a SQL Anywhere db file locally on your computer. From your other posts, I would assume you should select the first option. Frank On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:09:47 +0200, Walter <Levine> wrote: > Is it possible to get an Win...

DBD::ODBC 1.14 does not work on Windows x64 using Microsoft ODBC drivers
I have Perl 5.8.8 built for Windows x64 from Activestate (version 822) installed on a Windows 2003 x64 bit server (Xeon processor). I have installed version 1.59 of DBI and version 1.14 of DBD::ODBC compiled for x64 bit, using the freely available Microsoft SDK. The ODBC-ODBC bridge used is supposed to be for 64 bit, as described by Microsoft. I ran the attached test script and get an error: DBD::ODBC::st execute failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid string or buffer length (SQL-HY090)(DBD: st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at test_dbd-odbc.pl line 48. This seems to ...

PBVM70.dll Error On Windows 98,windows 95 and also on windows nt
hi i always get an error of this dll . any other solution , i do not want to restart the machine any idea the error is as follows : PB70 caused an invalid page fault in module PBVM70.DLL at 017f:112a3b49. Registers: EAX=0edd06f0 CS=017f EIP=112a3b49 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00000111 SS=0187 ESP=0068eba4 EBP=0068ebb4 ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=000005f4 FS=2de7 EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=000003ea GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 66 8b 51 44 89 55 f4 eb 07 c7 45 f4 00 00 00 00 Stack dump: 406f0000 000001b2 000003ea 0edd06f0 00000988 112c9fce 00000988 00000111 000003ea 000005f4 112c9da0 112a3a...

Windows 98 ODBC
Having some trouble connecting Windows 98 client to Netware 4.11 server. Exact same ODBC settings work fine on Windows 95 clients. Using TCPIP as protocol. No problems connecting Windows 98 beta 3 to Windows NT server Using TCPIP as protocol. Can't try the beta with the Novell server, customer is 275 miles away. Does anyone know if there are any issues between Windows 98 ODBC and Novell? Or did Microsoft change something between the beta 3 and final release of 98? ...

PB in Windows 95 and Windows 98
We are now using Power Builder Version 6.5 Build 444 and SQL Database Server. In many Client We are using Windows 95 and others Windows 98, I don't know why in Windows 95 same aplication run very fast but in Windows 98 Slow. The Both computer same in specification (RAM 32 MB) and no program resident. My be any solution for my problem ? thx, Banu Agus Hartoyo You might have more luck in getting a response if you post this in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general. Paul Horan [TeamSybase] Buffalo, NY "fasd" <dfa> wrote in message news:bUDBX7aAAHA.65@for...

Remote ports cannot be started by a 16-bit application using a 32-bit ODBC driver on Windows 95/98
I'm running a 16bit program which connects an Sybase ASA6 SQL server via ODBC. When my 16bit app connects via an 32 bit odbc driver on Win NT or Win2000, everything is ok, but when i try to connect with the 16 bit app from a w95/w98 i get this error message: "Remote ports cannot be started by a 16-bit application using a 32-bit ODBC driver on Windows 95/98." When using "Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 603" 32 bit odbc driver. But when using "Sybase SQL Anywhere 5505" 32 bit odbc driver, this error does NOT occur. The ASA6 32bit odbc connectio...

Problem with Windows Update for Windows 98 machine
Hello For some reason, whenever I go to Windows Update on my Windows 98 machine it keeps telling me that I need to log in as an adminstrator or log in with an account with administrative rights even though I am logged in as administrator. I have used the help section and scanned through the windows update newsgroup postings but no luck. All I have changed in my network lately is I have installed a router with a built in firewall. I thought this was the problem but my two Windows 2000 machines have no problem accessing the windows update website. I would appreciate any suggestions to ...

Deploying odbc on windows 95
Hi, I have been trying to deploy a PB5.0 app with a SQL Anywhere database on a windows 95 pc. I added the odbc data source to the odbc.ini file and the driver to the odbcinst.ini file. However the data source only has 1 line in it with the driver name and does not point to the database file. i get a data source not found error when i try to connect. am i doing something worng? can someone please point me in the right direction? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rohit Try doing this through ODBCADMN. I think that's the name on Win 95. If you are using the...

RAS connection works on windows 95, but not on windows xp
Dear programmers, I hope I'm in the right newsgroup, else the administer can kick me to the right one :) Anyway I have an old apllication that needs to be migrated to version 10.5 I started to migrate to PB 9 first and tested if all worked (so I'm still working in PB 9. In this application I use http://www.catsoft.ch/files/rasdial.zip to make a RAS connection to the unix server. Now on windows 95 this works fine, but the same program on windows 2000 or xp does not work. It dials, connects to the server and then I get the busy-tone, like it is disconnecting again. My...

Oracle ODBC drviers not showing in ODBC Config window
Oracle ODBC drviers not showing in ODBC Config window I can not get the odbc configuration window in pb 5.0.3 to show any new ODBC drivers added in my 32bit odbc manager... Using latest version of manager from MS web site. Using MS ODBC Oracle driver, works fine with other programs, do not show up in pb 5.0.3! Any ideas?? Kevin G. compumagic@iname.com Are you using the 16bit PB5? If so, this one only lists 16bit ODBC drivers. -- - Met vriendelijke groet, Eric Aling [TeamPS], Cypres Informatisering bv, The Netherlands http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ali...

Oracle ODBC drviers not showing in ODBC Config window
Oracle ODBC drviers not showing in ODBC Config window I can not get the odbc configuration window in pb 5.0.3 to show any new ODBC drivers added in my 32bit odbc manager... Using latest version of manager from MS web site. Using MS ODBC Oracle driver, works fine with other programs, do not show up in pb 5.0.3! Any ideas?? Kevin G. compumagic@iname.com Probably u have installed PB Desktop instead of PB Enterprise. Desktop will only support ODBC drivers it ships with. -- Somnath Ukil IBM Solution Developer PowerBuilder Professional WWW: http://members.tripod.com/~quintsoft...

ODBC in windows
I have created an application in PB 6.0. I want to be able to distribute the application to a lot of people with as little interaction with their PC's as possible. Is there a way to configure the odbc driver on the clients machine with code so that the client doesn't have to go in themselves to make odbc recoginize the database? Also, I have been having trouble connecting to the database when I install the sql anywhere runtime files. After I install the runtime files I go to configure odbc and go to add the sql anywhere database, the sql anywhere database name does not app...

ODBC Window
Hi I try to connect to db, if i sccuess no problem but if i fail the ODBC window appear i want to manage the error my self and disable the ODBC window -- --- Thanks... Osama Diab i-o@link.net diab98@hotmail.com Here is an example of the specific syntax... SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=EAS Demo DB V4;UID=dba;PWD=sql',ConnectOption='SQL_DRIVER_CONNECT,SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT'" You need to add ConnectOption='SQL_DRIVER_CONNECT,SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT' to the dbparm. /ck "Vasu" <kr_vasudev@hot...

Web resources about - WINDOWS 98 ODBC WITH SQLANYWHERE (versus working WINDOWS 95 ODBC MACHINE) - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere