Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell to ASA 7.0 on Windows 2000

TASK:
-------------------------------------
Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell Netware to Adaptive Server
Anywhere 7.0 database on Windows 2000 server.

Please let me know if I should be aware of any special step(s) that might be
required for this kind of upgrade.  Also, let me know if are any anticipated
problems for this kind of upgrade.

MAIN CONCERNS:
-------------------------------------
Is it possible to load the SQL Anywhere 5.0 datafile (.db) from Novell
Netware platform directly to Windows 2000 platform? Are there any
compatibility issues?

Do we need to first upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 TO ASA 6.0 level and then to
ASA 7.0 level? OR can we upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database straight to 7.0
level?

Do we need to apply any EBFs/patches before doing the upgrade?
-------------------------------------

The steps that I have planned out so far is as follows. Let me know if I
have to make any changes.

STEPS:
-------------------------------------
1. Install Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 on Windows 2000 server (This box
does not have any Sybase product yet)

2. Backup the data on SQL Anywhere 5.0

3. Unload SQL Anywhere 5.0 database from Novell Netware using dbunload
utility

4. Copy the unloaded file (ASA5_data.db) to the Windows 2000 server file
system ( Assuming the source and target servers are not on the same network)

5. Start ASA 7.0 server on Windows 2000 and connect to ASA5_data.db file and
start SQL Anywhere 5.0 database.

6. Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database to the 7.0 level by using the dbupgrade
utlity.

7. Shutdown and archive the transaction log before using the upgraded
database

8. Backup the data on ASA 7.0 (the upgraded database)

9. Unload and Reload the database (the newly upgraded database)

10. Shutdown and archive the transaction log before using the reloaded
database

11. Backup the data.
-------------------------------------

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shekhar

0
Shekhar

See my answers below:

Robert Waywell
Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
 choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

"Shekhar Singh" <shekhar_s_singh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> TASK:
> -------------------------------------
> Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell Netware to Adaptive Server
> Anywhere 7.0 database on Windows 2000 server.
>
> Please let me know if I should be aware of any special step(s) that might
be
> required for this kind of upgrade.  Also, let me know if are any
anticipated
> problems for this kind of upgrade.
>

> MAIN CONCERNS:
> -------------------------------------
> Is it possible to load the SQL Anywhere 5.0 datafile (.db) from Novell
> Netware platform directly to Windows 2000 platform? Are there any
> compatibility issues?

    Yes it is possible. There are no compatibility issues moving the
database files between platforms. You should review the behaviour changes
between 5 & 7 and ensure that you test your application with the new
version.

> Do we need to first upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 TO ASA 6.0 level and then to
> ASA 7.0 level? OR can we upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database straight to 7.0
> level?

    No, you do not need to upgrade to 6.0 first. Yes you can upgrade
directly to 7.0.

> Do we need to apply any EBFs/patches before doing the upgrade?
> -------------------------------------

    No.

> The steps that I have planned out so far is as follows. Let me know if I
> have to make any changes.
>
> STEPS:
> -------------------------------------
> 1. Install Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 on Windows 2000 server (This box
> does not have any Sybase product yet)
>
> 2. Backup the data on SQL Anywhere 5.0
>
> 3. Unload SQL Anywhere 5.0 database from Novell Netware using dbunload
> utility

    I find that the unload/reload tends to go more smoothly if I do the
unload with the same version of the software that I will be doing the reload
with. In this case I would recommend copying the database over to the Win2k
server, loading it on the 7.0 engine and doing the unload with 7.0.

> 4. Copy the unloaded file (ASA5_data.db) to the Windows 2000 server file
> system ( Assuming the source and target servers are not on the same
network)

    Dbunload will generate a reload.sql script and a set of .dat files
containing the data.

> 5. Start ASA 7.0 server on Windows 2000 and connect to ASA5_data.db file
and
> start SQL Anywhere 5.0 database.
>
> 6. Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database to the 7.0 level by using the
dbupgrade
> utlity.

If you have done a dbunload/reload, then you do not need to run dbupgrade
against the database.

> 7. Shutdown and archive the transaction log before using the upgraded
> database

    Always a good idea.

> 8. Backup the data on ASA 7.0 (the upgraded database)
>
> 9. Unload and Reload the database (the newly upgraded database)
>
> 10. Shutdown and archive the transaction log before using the reloaded
> database
>
> 11. Backup the data.
> -------------------------------------
>
> Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Shekhar

0
Robert

SQL Anywhere 5.0 upgraded by ASA 6.0?, ASA 6.0 on Linux???
What is ASA? Is the newest version of Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0? Can I directly upgrade a Database from SQL Anywhere 5.0 (windows NT) to ASA 6.0 or 7.0? Then, what is the database engine for Linux? or ASA 6.0 or 7.0 is multiplatform? Please, any help, I don't understand. P.S.: My SQL Anywhere 5.0 is boundled with DataEase Plus 2.77 conected via ODBC, will run with ASA on any platform? > What is ASA? Adaptive Server Anywhere. IE enchanced & considerably improved versions of old SQL Anywhere > Is the newest version of Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0? No. Last versio...

Upgrade from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to ASA 7.0
We currently have dbs out in production created with SQL Anywhere 5.5 and we are still shipping our products with SQL Anywhere 5.5. Sybase will stop licensing 5.5 so we would like to upgrade to ASA 7.0. I was going through the utilities of ASA 7.0 (SQL Central) but I didn't see the option of 'Upgrade Database'. Furthermore, I tried to upgrade my DB using the upgrade utility from the DOS prompt, but I get errors when I try to run the DB with my PB 8.0 application. I found some migration instructions on the ASA ISQL help which suggested to do a full unload reload of the dat...

help on updating database sql anywhere 5.0 to sql adaptive server 7.0
If anyone knows how to update db to adaptive server 7.0 You have two choices : 1) Run dbunload against your v5.0 database to generate a reload.sql and a series of .dat files that contain the data in the tables. You can use either the v7 dbunload or the v5 dbunload (unless the database participates in a replication, in which case the v7 dbunload should be used). Now, at v7, initialize a new database, and run dbisqlc to read the reload.sql file. This will re-create all the schema that existed in the old database and re-load all the data. You can discard the reload.sql and .dat file...

Automated Upgrade of ASA 5.0 database to ASA 8.0 database
Hello, We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these laptops. To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0 In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade. Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users. Is ...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

Windows 2000 Support for Sql Anywhere 5.0 and 5.5?
Hello, I was hoping if anyone could shed some light on whether Sybase supports SQL Anywhere 5.0 and 5.5 on the Windows 2000 Server platform? Our proprietary software only works with 5.0 and 5.5 and we're having trouble. (only one machine can connect to the SQL server at a time) Using SQL Anywhere 5.5 on Windows 2000 Server. Workstations are Windows NT 4. (Service Pack 1) Thanks in advance..you can reply to zuberal@manulife.com or to the newsgroup. You need the latest 5.5.05ebf from the Sybase website in order to get the engine working on Windows 2000. -- Jason...

Upgrading 7.0.0 database to 7.0.3
I have a database that was created in 7.0.0. I now use 7.0.3.2079. I'm having trouble upgrading the database. First, contrary to the help file, there was no upgrade utility in Sybase Central. At least, I can't find it. So I opened ISQL and ran the statement, 'alter database upgrade'. This caused the following message to pop up: ISQL Error Line 1, Column 16 Could not execute statement. ASA Error -198: Primary key for row in table 'SYSCAPABILITYNAME' is referenced in another table. The ISQL Messages window contained the following: Creating ...

Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0.2
We are running SQLA5505 and now want to upgrade to ASA702. For we have several stored procedures that we were not able to unload and reload, we thought of doing the upgrading process slowly, step by step: 1st, running the old database file under dbeng7.exe, 2nd, upgrading the old database file to level 7, 3rd, reloading the database file to complete level 7 features. But at this point, there startet a discussion, what features we can use in what level, so my question is: What features of Sybase 7 can we use, if we do that stepts? What can we do with no uprading, what needs an upgrade,...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

SQL Anywhere 5.5 to ASA 7.0
We currently have dbs out in production created with SQL Anywhere 5.5 and we are still shipping our products with SQL Anywhere 5.5. Sybase will stop licensing 5.5 so we have no choice but to upgrade to ASA 7.0. I was going through the utilities of ASA 7.0 (SQL Central) but I didn't see the option of 'Upgrade Database'. My questions are: 1. Will a db created with SQL Anywhere 5.5 run under ASA 7.0 without 'tweaking'? If not, what do we need to do? 2. What drivers will we need to deploy on both the client and the Server? (i.e. dbclient.exe, dbeng50.exe,...

[...]

SQL ANywhere 5.5.05 to ASA 7.0
Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central 4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and could not find anything. TPS >Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central >4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and >could not find anything. You are right, it's not there, but you can run it as a command-line utility DBUPGRAD. It is documented in the help. hth Leo Tohill - Team Sybase >> Please post in newsgroup, not via email << ...

SQL Anywhere 7.0 Client to 5.5 Database
I would like to connect a 7.0 client to a 5.5 database. I have tried a number of ODBC parameters but cannot get a test connect. Can anyone tell me what I might need to do to get this to work? Frank.Scroggs@WellmanInc.com We changed the communications protocols in v6 so this is non-trivial. Read the documentation about upgrading from v5 to v7. The compatibility library should help you do what you want. /steve -- Stephen Rice Technical Services Manager iAnywhere Solutions email: srice@iAnywhere.com Certified SQL Anywhere Associate -- Please Post -- "Frank Scrogg...

Web resources about - Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell to ASA 7.0 on Windows 2000 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Apple suspends effort to develop online TV service: Bloomberg
(Reuters) - Apple Inc has suspended plans to offer a live Internet-based television service and is instead focusing on being a platform for media ...

The entire 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' press conference in bite-sized videos
LOS ANGELES — If you stumbled across the Los Angeles Convention Center over the weekend, you might have seen a Yu-Gi-Oh! competition, a ski-equipment ...

Quentin Tarantino Delivers Shrieking UFC-Style Intros for ‘Hateful Eight’ Cast at Hollywood Premiere
The December 2012 premiere for “Django Unchained” was canceled in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, but three years later not even the threat ...

Google Pixel C Tablet Now Available For Purchase
Last week, we reported that the Google Pixel C tablet was rumored for launch in a week’s time – and it seems that this particular rumor is definitely ...

Uber is looking into launching two new ridesharing services
Uber announced on Tuesday that it will trial a pair of new ridesharing services in the Seattle and Chicago metro areas. The first, called UberHOP, ...

China rolls out WATER CANNON to take on Beijing smog
Beijing's pollution crisis appears to have spawned a new fashion trend with dozens of residents seen walking the smog-ridden streets wearing ...

Undercover Greenpeace activists buy off corrupt academics in a climate change sting
The environmental activism group Greenpeace today disclosed that it led an undercover investigation to expose how easy it is for big oil, gas, ...

Judge Throws out Kansas Man's Murder Conviction
Judge overturns Kansas man's conviction in sister-in-law's 1999 killing

Showtime launches first-ever boxing match in virtual reality
Yet another major media company has hopped aboard the fast moving train that is 360-degree video positioned as virtual reality , and this time ...

Chicago police misconduct has frayed relations with blacks
CHICAGO (AP) — A South Side police commander and his officers tortured black suspects into confessing to crimes they didn't commit. Another rogue ...