SQLAnywhere to ASE

Hi,

is there a utility to convert my existing SQLA5.0 database into an ASE
version database.  I'm attempting to upgrade and looking for a simply way to
do so, if of course there is one..

thanks in advance, rks...

0
Robert

No utility, but there is a good whitepaper that discusses the issues.

Migrating from Adaptive Server Anywhere to Adaptive Server Enterprise
http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=20227

    Are you sure that you need to move to ASE? I'm not trying to discourage
you, but we occasionally find customers who underestimate ASA and think they
have to upgrade when their database is only a couple of gigabytes in size.

Robert Waywell
Sybase
Please Respond to Newsgroups

Robert Strigl wrote in message ...
>Hi,
>
>is there a utility to convert my existing SQLA5.0 database into an ASE
>version database.  I'm attempting to upgrade and looking for a simply way
>do so, if of course there is one..
>
>thanks in advance, rks...

0
Robert
12/6/1999 1:40:38 PM
Hello,

>     Are you sure that you need to move to ASE? I'm not trying to
discourage
> you, but we occasionally find customers who underestimate ASA and think
they
> have to upgrade when their database is only a couple of gigabytes in size.

I'm not sure..  I was just trying to find some way to gain a lot of
performance...  That is not to say that I'm not pleased the way SQLA
performs...  I just find it is slowing down..  It is commonly being pounded
by 8-10 users at a time.  But for the most part I've been ver pleased with
it.  I was just trying to explore alternative to my current solution.  So
let me ask you then...  will I notice a big increase in performance?

regards, rks...

0
Robert
12/6/1999 5:18:32 PM
> I'm not sure..  I was just trying to find some way to gain a lot of
> performance...  That is not to say that I'm not pleased the way SQLA
> performs...  I just find it is slowing down..  It is commonly being =
pounded
> by 8-10 users at a time.  But for the most part I've been ver pleased =
with
> it.  I was just trying to explore alternative to my current solution.  =
So
> let me ask you then...  will I notice a big increase in performance?

I've never used ASE -- I know that it is a fast, enterprise-level =
database, but I think you can still get pretty good speed out of ASA =
with 8 to 10 users.  Also, ASE's price can be somewhat prohibitive.  =
(Heck, if cash is not an issue, try out Sybase's IQ 12 -- just make sure =
your Sun Enterprise 3500 with 4 GB of RAM is up and running okay :)

FYI, you may want to consider purchasing ASA 7 (or trying out its demo) =
when it becomes publically available.

-k

0
Kris
12/7/1999 1:40:57 AM
Okay, here are the standard performance questions:

1) how big is your database?
2) how big is your cache size?
    - the rule of thumb is 10-15% of db size if you are not replicating and
15-20% if you are replicating
    - in other words, the default cache size of 2 meg is suitable for
databases of up to 20meg in size
    - if you are currently on SQL Anywhere 5.x, then upgrading to ASA 6.0.3
will give you dynamic cache sizing in which we can adjust the cache size for
you

3) 8-10 users is not an issue, how many transactions are they performing and
how complex are they? A single query doing a 14 table join without indexes
and a bunch of LIKE clauses can bring most servers to their knee's, while a
100 or a 1000 single table selects using a primary key may not be
noticeable.

    My guess at this point is that you probably don't need ASE, and that if
your hardware is sufficient to support ASE, then it is already big enough to
tweak your ASA database to support your current users and provide room for
growth.

Robert Waywell
Sybase
Please Respond to Newsgroups

Robert Strigl wrote in message ...
>Hello,
>
>>     Are you sure that you need to move to ASE? I'm not trying to
>discourage
>> you, but we occasionally find customers who underestimate ASA and think
>they
>> have to upgrade when their database is only a couple of gigabytes in
size.

>I'm not sure..  I was just trying to find some way to gain a lot of
>performance...  That is not to say that I'm not pleased the way SQLA
>performs...  I just find it is slowing down..  It is commonly being pounded
>by 8-10 users at a time.  But for the most part I've been ver pleased with
>it.  I was just trying to explore alternative to my current solution.  So
>let me ask you then...  will I notice a big increase in performance?
>
>regards, rks...

0
Robert
12/7/1999 4:07:08 PM
Robert Waywell wrote in message ...

>    My guess at this point is that you probably don't need ASE, and that if
>your hardware is sufficient to support ASE, then it is already big enough
>tweak your ASA database to support your current users and provide room for
>growth.

Isn't this paradox true in most of the cases?

;-)

Geert 'Darling' Van Damme

0
Geert
12/8/1999 9:25:55 AM
>Isn't this paradox true in most of the cases?

Yes.

If you're building an airline reservation system or a multinational
data warehouse then ASE may be appropriate.

However, most (almost all?) databases are significantly less
ambitious. Hardware and software has improved greatly in the past few
years, to the extend that ASA will perform satisfactorily if not
superbly for most applications.

As far as ease of development, maintenance and administration is
concerned, however, ASE wins hands down over ASE, Oracle, DB2 and
Informix.

Breck
0
NOSPAM__bcarter
12/8/1999 12:37:54 PM
Exactly, but how can we tell the world?

;-)

Geert 'Darling' Van Damme

Breck Carter wrote in message <384e4f4c.56812035@forums.sybase.com>...
>>Isn't this paradox true in most of the cases?
>
>Yes.
>
>If you're building an airline reservation system or a multinational
>data warehouse then ASE may be appropriate.
>
>However, most (almost all?) databases are significantly less
>ambitious. Hardware and software has improved greatly in the past few
>years, to the extend that ASA will perform satisfactorily if not
>superbly for most applications.
>
>As far as ease of development, maintenance and administration is
>concerned, however, ASE wins hands down over ASE, Oracle, DB2 and
>Informix.
>
>Breck

0
Geert
12/8/1999 9:03:09 PM
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:03:09 +0100, "Geert Van Damme"
<Geert.vandamme@darling.be> wrote:

>Exactly, but how can we tell the world?

It's hopeless <g>... "the world" is run by The Pointy-Haired Boss who
wants more dancing skeletons on the home page, and we're Ming - "How
do you spell @#$%#?"

Breck
0
NOSPAM__bcarter
12/9/1999 3:44:05 PM
Well, there for a while we weren't doing it with the stock price.  That's
changed a bit.
Get John Chen on TV.  The stock price seems to have shot up that last
time this happened.
Sybase can advertise more. (They are doing better at this though)
Press releases are always a good idea.
Write a product evaluation for a trade magazine.
Lead by example (but it's lonely so far out if front)

--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
eganjp

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

Migration from SQLAnywhere to ASE
Could anyone direct me to some good technical documentation on the problems / issues I may encounter in migrating a number of PowerBuilder apps (5, 6, and 7) from an SQL Anywhere back-end to Adaptive Server Enterprise? Thank-you very much. Jonathan Comeau Take a look at: http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=20227 There's a chapter on TSQL compatability in the online help. Leo Tohill - Team Sybase >> Please post in newsgroup, not via email << ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Migration for SQLAnywhere 5 to ASE
Could anyone direct me to some good technical documentation on the problems / issues I may encounter in migrating a number of PowerBuilder apps (5, 6, and 7) from an SQL Anywhere back-end to Adaptive Server Enterprise? Thank-you very much. Jonathan Comeau Go to the Sybase website and bring up document 20227 Jonathan Comeau wrote in message <1hecUvoC$GA.51@forums.sybase.com>... >Could anyone direct me to some good technical documentation on the problems >/ issues I may encounter in migrating a number of PowerBuilder apps (5, 6, >and 7) from an SQL Anywhere b...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

Porting application from SQLAnywhere to SQL ASE
Hello there, We have developed an application using Visual Age C++ running on Sybase SQlAnywhere Version 5 on Windows NT. Now we are looking at using SQL ASE Version 12. Are there some issues on this porting(migration? Where can I look for such information? Many thanks Anek Anand Johannesburg SA Check out http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=20227. The document is three years old, so won't go into any detail about migating Java objects stored in the DB, but it's a great starting point. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Certified SQL Anywhere...

HELP!! Embeddes SQL
I am converting our main database from SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 to ASE 11.9.2 using a Windows NT environment. We have numerous Power ++ DLLs with embedded SQL that will need to access both ASE and SQL Anywhere databases. Does anyone know how to modify the Power ++ config files to allow me to build Embedded SQL code using SQL Anywhere and Embedded SQL code using ASE. I want to add a .sqc file containing my SQL Anywhere code and another file containing my ASE code. I need to be able to build these files into one DLL. My first problem is what file type Power ++ will recognize for my embedde...

Evaluating SqlAnywhere against ASE 11.9.2
I've downloaded the Evaluation copy of Adaptive Server Anywhere 7 and I'd like to see how it works against my ASE 11.9.2 database. When I read the documentation file it says I need to run SQL Remote software. I doesn't look like SQL Remote is in the Evaluation. Is it? Is there a way I can get it? Thanks. SSRemote (SQL Server remote for ASE) is a separate product. I believe it falls under the 30 day clause, so you have 30 days to try it out. Call 1-800-8-sybase and ask for it. -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Please only post to the newsgroup ...

Connection ODBC to a ASE 6, updated from SQLAnywhere 5
Hello everyone I have an application written with Power++ 2.0 which accesses a DataBase Source. Up to now this has been by ODBC to a SQLAnywhere 5.0 database. The database has been updated to Adaptive Anywhere Server 6, I installed the ODBC V6 driver on the machine with my client Power++ application and it has stopped working. ( isql with the same data source works OK). I get errors of the type SQL extendedFetch returns SQL_ERROR State 08S01 Native Code -85 : Communication Link failure, communication error What could have gone wrong? Does any one have any ideas please ? Helen Dale Correction (excuse me!) it's Adapdative Server Anywhere, not Adaptive Server Enterprise Helen Dale a �crit : > Hello everyone > I have an application written with Power++ 2.0 which accesses a > DataBase Source. Up to now this has been by ODBC to a SQLAnywhere 5.0 > database. > The database has been updated to Adaptive Anywhere Server 6, I installed > > the ODBC V6 driver on the machine with my client Power++ application and > > it has stopped working. ( isql with the same data source works OK). > > I get errors of the type > SQL extendedFetch returns SQL_ERROR > State 08S01 Native Code -85 : Communication Link failure, communication > error > > What could have gone wrong? > Does any one have any ideas please ? > > Helen Dale Helen, Make sure you are using ASA ODBC Driver 06.00...

pbcat tables from SQLAnywhere 5.5 to ASE 12
What's the best, easiest way to get the info from the pbcat tables (namely pbcatcol, pbcatedt, and pbcattbl) in a SQLAnywhere 5.5 database to the new database on ASE 12? We are moving from SQLAnywhere to ASE and we would like out edit styles and everything else to be migrated to the new database. TIA, Scott The short answer would be to use pipelines to get the data in the five PB tables from one database to another. However, as one database may have issues with certain datatypes and formats... etc. you may have to tweak them a little as the need arises. HTH -EGM ...

Converting datawindow from SQLAnywhere to ASE 11.0.2.1
This SQL statement works fine in a datawindow connected to SQLAnywhere 5.5 : SELECT budget_center.budget_center, (select count(*) from budget_center) as input_count FROM budget_center WHERE budget_center.project = 1 The same statement works fine in the ISQL for ASE 11.0.2.1 . But the datawindow dows not work with ASE 11.0.2.1 . More generaly, I was no able to use any embeded query (in this exemple (select count(*) from budget_center) ). Thank you very much for your attention, Herve Caussinus Actualy the last datawindow is correct. Problem oc...

new baby: sqlanywhere 5.5 -> ase 11.5
I am going to setup a two-way replication environment using sqlanywhere (NTW 4.0), ASE 11.5 (Sun Solaris 2.6) and Replication Server for Sun Solaris. 1> Is there any Technical documents regarding this approach? 2> What components I need to make sure replicatioin is up and running? SQL Anywhere 5.5 Build ??? Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere Ver??? Relication Server for Sun Solaris 2.6 Adaptive Server Enterprise Release 11.5 for Sun Solaris 2.6 I got 47778 which setup replication for a Windows NT 4.0 environment. Thanks in advance Virginia vyc@traveland.com.au ...

Can't create Proxy tables: SQLAnywhere 10 to ASE 11.92
Sorry for cross-posting, but it seems that no one in the sqlanywhere.general section had idea about this :-s... I hope someone here have some experience on this one. Hi all; First of all, this is the first time I try to create a proxy table. I did create a Remote server and external login(all of this using the Sybase Central's wizard), but when I try to create the proxy table I have a -667 error: "could not access column information for the table x". In both the Anywhere and ASE databases only administrators are registered(DBA and dbo), so there must be permissio...

Can't create Proxy tables: SQLAnywhere 10 to ASE 11.92
Hi all; First of all, this is the first time I try to create a proxy table. I did create a Remote server and external login(all of this using the Sybase Central's wizard), but when I try to create the proxy table I have a -667 error: "could not access column information for the table x". In both the Anywhere and ASE databases only administrators are registered(DBA and dbo), so there must be permissions for accesing such data on ASE. I tried it also using Interactive SQL: CREATE EXISTING TABLE "DBA"."test_pxy" AT 'seicom;New_db;dbo;test...

Tables in SQLAnywhere
Hello. I need fill a table with information of a text file. I'm using a DataWindow with the option dw_1.ImportFile(file.txt) for do it. The first time I have not problem because the table is empty, but in others ocasions I have to delete all information in these table and after fill the table with the function ImportFile again. I wish fill the table without delete the information in the table. Does anybody know any manner for do it? Thanks in advance. >Hello. I need fill a table with information of a text file. I'm using a >DataWindow with the option dw_1.Impor...

Disconnecting from SQLAnywhere
We have 3 customers thus far who have reported problems with their users getting disconnected from the database while running our application. All the users have ample processor speed and RAM and the networks are Novell 4.0 or NT 4.0 with service pack 3 applied. They are not logged out of our application, just the database. All are disconnected at once. Please let me know any ideas that you have. Thanks! >We have 3 customers thus far who have reported problems with their users >getting disconnected from the database while running our application. All >the users have ...

Encryption in SQLAnywhere
Hello, I am knew to this newsgroup Does anybody knows if there is a feature in SA to have the databases encrypted or at least to send the result of a request encrypted to the client. If there is no such feature, do you know if it is planned to be added and when Same question for Adaptive Server Many thanks Jean-Marc You can encrypt both the database file and the packets that are transmitted over the network. See "The database server" and "The SQL Anywhere Client" in the online help to see how to encrypt packets. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer So...

the other sqlanywhere version
in sybase server 11.5 update statment syntax is right and left express varaible in example table test in column numeric col_a update test set @accumlate = @accumlaate + 1, col_a = @accumlate + col_a in sqlanywhere 5.5.03 syntax is incorrect which the other sqlanywhere version exists? >pdate statment syntax is right and left express varaible >in example > table test in column numeric col_a > update test > set @accumlate = @accumlaate + 1, > col_a = @accumlate + col_a >in sqlanywhere 5.5.03 synt...

PHP -SqlAnywhere
I receive the following error when running the test connection script used in the PHP-ASA White paper. Warning: SQLAnywhere: [-740] unknown error 2385 in /www/asa_test.php on line 2 Can someone tell me what this error is. Thanks Can you please provide the versions of Apache, PHP, ASA (server), and ASA(client) that you are using. Have you sourced the configuration file asa_config.sh before starting Apache? M. Abouzour Barry_Barker wrote: > > I receive the following error when running the test connection script used > in the PHP-ASA White paper. > &...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere to ASE - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere