SQLAnywhere Raiserror Questions

We're running PB5.0.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.00 Build #1073 on NT4.0.  We're
working on some triggers that will detect various runtime errors.  We want
to return a meaningful message to the client app.  We write our exception
handlers to invoke Raiserror and it does indeed look up the appropriate
message in SYSUSERMESSAGES and the message is returned to the client.  But
some things aren't working like the manuals says or as we think they
should:

1. According to the manual, Raiserror "...displays a message on the engine
or server message window."  I have yet to see a message on the engine
window.  I know I can use the Message command for this but I shouldn't have
to.  Am I missing something?

2. When I invoke Resignal following a Raiserror the PB datawindow's DBERROR
event does fire.  The text in SQLCA.SQLERRTEXT is correct.  But
SQLCA.SQLCODE and SQLCA.SQLDBCODE are 0, indicating no error.  What must I
do to get these values set correctly?

3. SQLCA.SQLSTATE is always 'S1000' regardless of the sqlstate signaled by
the trigger.  Is there a way to get sqlstate sent to the client?

4. According to the manual, the error number in a Raiserror command is set
into the global variable @@error.  Yet, when I test @@error it is always 0.
 Why?  Also, what happens if multiple users are connected and each of them
causes a different Raiserror at the same time.  What ends up in @@error?

TIA.  I really appreciate any help.
russ wolfe
r_wolfe@digin.xenergy.com

ps: kudos to PS for these newsgroups.  MUCH better, IMHO, than CIS.

0
russ

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

question on sqlanywhere upgrade
We are upgrading our database from sqlanywhere 5.5.04 to 7. My front end application is developed in PB 5.0.04. I want to know if we upgrade the database to 7, do I need to do anything to the front end code for it to work, or will it automatically work with the new database without any recompile or any modification? Thanks Ram Please do not crosspost. Please review the ASA7 documentation that outlines the new features and behaviour changes. This should help you identify areas where you may be impacted. /ck <Ram_Ramaswamy> wrote in message news:E7B29DEE7811159A0072848...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

sqlAnywhere password recovery question
Hello, We have a customer who does not know any passwords for their sqlanywhere db file. Does anyone know of any good password recovery tools/techniques that are available? Thanks much, Ben Anderson There are none. You can contact technical support who may be able to help subject to provision of evidence of ownership of the database. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 ***************************************************************************** Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try...

Newbie Delphi to SQLAnywhere Questions???
Hello All: I am looking for a good SQL database for a medium size application. I use Delphi for development and would deploy on Windows LANS/WANS. What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ??? Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ??? How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ??? Does SQLAnywhere have an option for deployment in a single user mode ( a few of our clients have only 1 workstation most are 5-50 workstations) ??? What is the best way to get up to speed on learning to use and administrate this product (...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

Newbie Question
Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track? I have a client server app that uses a sybase back end and a windows app as the client. I would like to make this a distributed app that will work weather or not the user is connected to the net. Am I correct that the sybase product that I would use to make this happen is SQLANYWHERE? It appears from something I saw that it requires NOVELL, is this correct? On 5 Mar 2004 13:23:00 -0800, mcalister wrote: >Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track? I have >a client server app that uses a sybase back end...

SQLAnywhere 8.0.1 Optimization Question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_010B_01C27B53.F72FC440 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I was asked recently to recommend whether the log file for a database = accessed by approx. 300 people should be stored on a separate network = drive. Right now the system accessing the data is stil in development, = so we have not determined how the databasee will actually respond with = 300 users. =20 I have heard that there are pros and cons to keeping the log file apart = from the db....

Redistribution question for SQLAnywhere Studio v6.0
I bought the SQLAnywhere Studio v6.0 Its not clear what I can distribute. Can I ship the db as is or do I have to create a runtime version or something like this. I called someone a Sybase, sent her two emails as she asked me to, but she never replied with the details. Thanks Rick The licensed database engines (DBENG60, DBSRV60) require you to purchase a license. The runtime version (RTENG60) can be purchased for $99 and that gives you unlimited royalty free distribution rights. However, the runtime engine has some limitations: -No transaction log -No DDL -No store...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere Raiserror Questions - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere