SQL Remote Replication

I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem connection
with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and
contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time files
are distributed).

The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to a
simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files
periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be
transferred and to what directories?

Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done?

The modem connection will be only temporary and will be through a Comm type
ActiveX control.

Please mail to abinder@uwsi.com

Thanks!

Alfons

0
Alfons

This is best asked on the:
sybase.public.sqlanywhere.replication newsgroup.

We have many, many customers using the FILE link over modem dialup lines.

--
David Fishburn
Sybase

TechWave 2000 July 30 - August 3 /2000
http://www.sybase.com/techwave2000

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

"Alfons" <abinder@uwsi.com> wrote in message
> I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem
connection
> with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and
> contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time
files
> are distributed).
>
> The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to
> simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files
> periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be
> transferred and to what directories?
>
> Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done?
>
> The modem connection will be only temporary and will be through a Comm
type
> ActiveX control.
>
> Please mail to abinder@uwsi.com
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alfons

0
David
5/28/2000 1:17:58 AM
If the remote publisher ids are SITEnnnn, and the consolidated
publisher id is CONSOL, and the message file subdirectories (the
"addresses") match the publisher ids, and you use the same
subdirectory structure on the remote PCs and the central server, then
here is the arrangement DBREMOTE will use:

\SITEnnnn\CONSOL.xxx - To Remote Site nnnn - From Consolidated DB
\CONSOL\SITEnnnn.xxx - To Consolidated DB  - From Remote Site nnnn

In other words, DBREMOTE on the consolidated will write CONSOL.xxx
files to \SITEnnnn, and it is up to you to transfer that file to the
same-named directory on the remote PC where DBREMOTE will read it.

DBREMOTE on the remote PC will write SITEnnn.xxx files to \CONSOL,
which you must transfer to the central PC where DBREMOTE will read it.

Many folks use shared directories on the central PC to eliminate the
extra step of file transfer. In this scheme, the remote PC dials in,
connects to a shared drive on the central PC, and then DBREMOTE
running on the remote PC reads/writes directly from/to that drive.

FTP works the same way, except using an FTP server rather than a file
server.

For more information see http://www.bcarter.com/tip078.htm

Breck

On Fri, 26 May 2000 16:29:14 -0500, "Alfons" <abinder@uwsi.com> wrote:

>I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem connection
>with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and
>contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time files
>are distributed).
>
>The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to a
>simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files
>periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be
>transferred and to what directories?
>
>Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done?
>
>The modem connection will be only temporary and will be through a Comm type
>ActiveX control.
>
>Please mail to abinder@uwsi.com
>
>Thanks!
>
>Alfons

0
NOSPAM__bcarter
5/29/2000 1:16:48 PM
Thanks for the response. You have been extremely helpful.

I wish I could use a shared drive on a RAS connection but unfortunately even
our Consolidated DB end users do not necessarily have servers and many of
them are extremely unsophisticated. We needed a "lowest common denominator"
type of solution so we have gone to a VB Dial-in ActiveX Comm Control
(SaxComm) for the communications and file transfer.

Thanks again.

Alfons

Breck Carter <NOSPAM__bcarter@bcarter.com> wrote in message
> If the remote publisher ids are SITEnnnn, and the consolidated
> publisher id is CONSOL, and the message file subdirectories (the
> "addresses") match the publisher ids, and you use the same
> subdirectory structure on the remote PCs and the central server, then
> here is the arrangement DBREMOTE will use:
>
> \SITEnnnn\CONSOL.xxx - To Remote Site nnnn - From Consolidated DB
> \CONSOL\SITEnnnn.xxx - To Consolidated DB  - From Remote Site nnnn
>
> In other words, DBREMOTE on the consolidated will write CONSOL.xxx
> files to \SITEnnnn, and it is up to you to transfer that file to the
> same-named directory on the remote PC where DBREMOTE will read it.
>
> DBREMOTE on the remote PC will write SITEnnn.xxx files to \CONSOL,
> which you must transfer to the central PC where DBREMOTE will read it.
>
> Many folks use shared directories on the central PC to eliminate the
> extra step of file transfer. In this scheme, the remote PC dials in,
> connects to a shared drive on the central PC, and then DBREMOTE
> running on the remote PC reads/writes directly from/to that drive.
>
> FTP works the same way, except using an FTP server rather than a file
> server.
>
> For more information see http://www.bcarter.com/tip078.htm
>
> Breck
>
> On Fri, 26 May 2000 16:29:14 -0500, "Alfons" <abinder@uwsi.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem
connection
> >with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and
> >contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time
files
> >are distributed).
> >
> >The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers
to a
> >simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files
> >periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be
> >transferred and to what directories?
> >
> >Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done?
> >
> >The modem connection will be only temporary and will be through a Comm
type
> >ActiveX control.
> >
> >Please mail to abinder@uwsi.com
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Alfons

0
Alfons
6/1/2000 3:37:46 PM
Internet access (dialup and otherwise) is becoming almost universal,
so you might consider message type FTP as a "lowest common
denominator" instead of FILE... get your ISP to give you some FTP
server space, and use it instead of a file server. The DBREMOTEs
running on the remote PCs (as well as the consolidated) will
read/write directly from/to the FTP server, thus eliminating the file
transfer headaches.

You may find dialing in to your own file server is a security
headache; dialing in to an ISP may be much easier.

Breck

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:37:46 -0500, "Alfons" <abinder@uwsi.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response. You have been extremely helpful.
>
>I wish I could use a shared drive on a RAS connection but unfortunately even
>our Consolidated DB end users do not necessarily have servers and many of
>them are extremely unsophisticated. We needed a "lowest common denominator"
>type of solution so we have gone to a VB Dial-in ActiveX Comm Control
>(SaxComm) for the communications and file transfer.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Alfons
>
>Breck Carter <NOSPAM__bcarter@bcarter.com> wrote in message
>> If the remote publisher ids are SITEnnnn, and the consolidated
>> publisher id is CONSOL, and the message file subdirectories (the
>> "addresses") match the publisher ids, and you use the same
>> subdirectory structure on the remote PCs and the central server, then
>> here is the arrangement DBREMOTE will use:
>>
>> \SITEnnnn\CONSOL.xxx - To Remote Site nnnn - From Consolidated DB
>> \CONSOL\SITEnnnn.xxx - To Consolidated DB  - From Remote Site nnnn
>>
>> In other words, DBREMOTE on the consolidated will write CONSOL.xxx
>> files to \SITEnnnn, and it is up to you to transfer that file to the
>> same-named directory on the remote PC where DBREMOTE will read it.
>>
>> DBREMOTE on the remote PC will write SITEnnn.xxx files to \CONSOL,
>> which you must transfer to the central PC where DBREMOTE will read it.
>>
>> Many folks use shared directories on the central PC to eliminate the
>> extra step of file transfer. In this scheme, the remote PC dials in,
>> connects to a shared drive on the central PC, and then DBREMOTE
>> running on the remote PC reads/writes directly from/to that drive.
>>
>> FTP works the same way, except using an FTP server rather than a file
>> server.
>>
>> For more information see http://www.bcarter.com/tip078.htm
>>
>> Breck
>>
>> On Fri, 26 May 2000 16:29:14 -0500, "Alfons" <abinder@uwsi.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem
>connection
>> >with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and
>> >contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time
>files
>> >are distributed).
>> >
>> >The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers
>to a
>> >simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files
>> >periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be
>> >transferred and to what directories?
>> >
>> >Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done?
>> >
>> >The modem connection will be only temporary and will be through a Comm
>type
>> >ActiveX control.
>> >
>> >Please mail to abinder@uwsi.com
>> >
>> >Thanks!
>> >
>> >Alfons

0
NOSPAM__bcarter

Replicating trigger action with SQL remote (SQL/Anywhere)
I need to replicate the actions of a trigger in one of my tables. I've tried to use the -t option when running dbremote, but this still does not replicate the trigger actions. Is there a solution to this problem? I need to replicate the action of the trigger because I'm trying to do the following: I need a sigle unique id for record in a table, and that table may be inserted into at any number of remote databases, and at the consolidated database. I've used an autoincrement column and a current publisher column as the actual unique primary key, and have another column ...

SQL Anywhere 8.0.2 SQL Remote FTP replication problems
Hi all, I have a problem setting up the FTP message control parameters with SQL Remote. I use the SET REMOTE FTP OPTION statement to do this. See an example. Considering a remote user with name 'pippo'... SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.host = 'my_host'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.user = 'mickey'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.password = 'mouse'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.root_directory = 'root_dir'; These four statements set FTP parameters for the pippo database user. This means that I want that the user pippo gain access to the replicati...

SQL Remote replication problem
We have an ASA 7.0.3.2046 setup with several branches replicating to and from a consolidated database via SQL Remote. At each end we have the following trigger on one of our tables: alter trigger DBA.tub_item before update on auction.item referencing old as old_upd new as new_upd for each row begin if current remote user is null then set new_upd.last_modified_by=current user; set new_upd.date_last_modified=getdate(*) end if end The problem that sometimes occurs is this. A user updates a field on the item table, which fires the trigger. The update action and the tr...

ASA Replication With SQL Remote
We are beginning with a replication among two databases ASA 7.0. We use SQL Remote to achieve that goal. First, we create users publisher and remote, after we create publications and articles. At last we did extract process for create remote database. In each site, we launch Replication Agents using SMTP. Changes in Consolidated Database replicates in Remote Database but changes in Remote Database has no effect on Consolidated Database. Someone can tell us Which are basics troubleshooting for replication using SMTP and SQL Remote? Why Remote Database does not replicate to Co...

sql remote with replication enterprise
can I run sql remote and replication enterprise on the same machine? My system has 3 units ASA --- ASE --- ASE so the middle one need to replicate with ASA and ASE on the same machine. In order to have SSRemote and the Rep Agent for ASE run on the same database you must use SSQueue. This was available in a 5.5.04 EBF, which also means you must be at least at 5.5.04 of SSRemote. Please contact technical support and ask for an EBF for 5.5.04, including SSQueue. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please post only to the news group. Songrit Leemakdej wrote in message ... >can...

ASE Replicator or SQL Remote
We have several 11.9.x servers running on RH Linux that we need a simple replication solution for. These severs will be upgraded to 12.5 over a year or so. Rep sever seems overkill. I have been looking at the new ASE Replicator in 12.5 and SQL Remote that was designed for 11.9.x. Here are my questions: If I set up one 12.5 db and use it as the primary database can it publish data to the 11.9.x servers? Is SQL Remote going to be a supported product or is Sybase encouraging users to move to Replicator? Does SQL Remote run on Linux? Which is eaiser, more reliable? T...

Security in SQL Remote replication
Hi, everybody! Does anyone know, how replication messages (sent via e-mail) are secured? What kind of encoding algorithm is used? Is it safe? Is it dificult to decode messages? Thanks, Tomek The messages are encoded, but not encrypted. The encoding is meant to stop casual viewers from reading the data in your messages, but is no intended to stop serious hackers. If security is a concern, you can always write your own encoding dll. Check out the following section of the manual : Replication and Synchronization Guide PART 3. SQL Remote CHAPTER 18. SQL Remote...

SQL Remote and ASE Replicator
Hello, Is it possible to use SQL Remote and ASE Replicator on the same database? SQL Remote and Replication Server for example have such capability when you use ssqueue. -- JT Both the ASE replicator and SQL Remote for ASE need to exclusively manage ASE's secondary truncation point in order to identify the oldest data page in syslogs that they need to start scanning from. There is only 1 secondary truncation point, and by the nature of it, it can not be shared between processes to identify more than one page. This is why we included the SSQueue as a solution for an ASE ...

sql remote, replication server
Hi All, I have a main location, where Sybase ASE and most users are sitting, and one secondary locations connected through internet where more users access main database with PowerBuilder applications. Of course, in the secondary location PB applications run slow. People in the secondary location does a lot of read from database, and few updates. I tried web deploy kit, but it is too slow (we need LOTS of stuff on screen, constantly updated). Now I think of having two databases, that are kept synchronized by "something" (e.g. overnight). My question is, what should "s...

SQL remote TIMESTAMP replication
ASA (9.X): ASA, however is the timestamp format set, maintains the full 6-digit fraction of second. It would be a ***VERY FINE*** (that's three stars from both sides with caps on) thing if the timestamp column would replicate in a ***FULL*** format, whatever the option 'timestamp_format' would be set to, because when replicating such a column with 'timestamp_format' set to '....nn.ss.sss' (what I believe is the default setting), only the 'ss.sss' is replicated and I believe ASA adds the missing three digits manually (.sss000, .sss001, ..sss...

SQL remote replication stops
Hello, I have a problem with SQL Remote replications via FILE (the same with another message types). dbremote 7.0.4.3489 dbtran and dblog are not showing any errors. there is no gap/space in log files. Remote site is only getting messages from consolidated, but nothing sending to consolidated. When dbremote starts, it shows correct start of transaction log, starting scan and finishing without any outcoming message. Seems like dbremote is not scaning log or checking bad offsets. .. I. 10/27 15:57:03. Transaction log "c:\test\03101600.LOG" starts at offset 0006864...

Replication Server and SQL Remote
Hi, I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and DBRemote toghether. I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers). According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with Rep Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the central site. We are thinking in the following products: * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1) * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote. * Remote Sites disconn...

SQL Remote message "A SQL Remote message has been deleted"
I have got the following message will sql RemoteAgent is sending messages at the conslidated database I. 03/14 02:08:53 A SQL Remote Message has been deleted And the message has been repeated 20 times before sending again I am using SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 Build 2509 and SMTP messaging Thanks This message was posted during the sending phase and not the receiving stage? Did you go to an old backup of the consolidated database without applying log files to get you back to the same point before you started recovery? Reg Domaratzki "Haytham Arafa" <haytham...

Web resources about - SQL Remote Replication - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

Google deprecates old App Engine datastore in favor of High-Replication version
Google is deprecating the Master/Slave Datastore used by its cloud platform App Engine in favor of the High-Replication Datastore (HRD), which ...

Art & Craft: The Story of an Art Forger Whose Artwork Replication Isn't Actually Illegal
Let me just start off by saying that I don't condone illegal forgery or theft—but I do think that someone who can put the art world in a tizzy ...