SQL Anywhere stops working when using remote a remote database with proxy tables

I am using SQLAnywhere Version 7.0.03.

I moved a number of tables from my master database to a second database
using the proxy tables feature.

My application no longer works properly. Prior to making the above change,
we have operated for several years with no problems.

What now happens in our mult-user system is we will doing some sort of
database access (e.g. one user is doing an insert of blob data and another
is selecting data (from a different table)) and everything gets hung up.

I read the documentation about proxy tables and there was the following
discussion:

"Queries blocked on themselves:

If you access multiple databases on a single Adaptive Server Anywhere
server, you may need to increase the number of threads used by the database
server on Windows NT using the -gx command-line switch.

You must have enough threads available to support the individual tasks that
are being run by a query. Failure to provide the number of required tasks
can lead to a query becoming blocked on itself."

I have a number of questions:

1.  How can I find what the current value is for the -gx setting?  (Your
documentation says number of CPUs + 1).  I would like to confirm this by
querying the server.

2.  If I am running HyperThreading on a 2 physical CPU box, should -gx be
set to 5?  I had exactly the same problem I described with the proxy tables
occur on a Dell 2650 with HyperThreading on.  I fixed that problem by
turning HyperThreading off.  I am now thinking that the real fix may be to
use the -gx command.

3.  Is there any technical article that discusses operating system threads
and proper use of the -gx command?

4.  Can you run into problems by setting -gx to too big a number?

5.  For the case I have, a 2 CPU machine, one dbsrv7 accessing two
databases (my master one and the second one which has proxy tables), is the
fix for my problem to set -gx to 4?

6.  Is the -gx command even the right thing to be looking at for by queries
not responding problem or should I be looking at something else.

Thanks,

Ray Kincaid
ABS Consulting

0
Ray_Kincaid

Creating a custom migration process for SQL Remote databases / handling of SQL Remote tables
Hi all, I would like to invite you have a look at one more SQL Remote-related question on the SQLA website (particularly, as I have asked them:) http://sqla.stackexchange.com/questions/1080 Kind regards Volker ...

SQL Anywhere 9 How to use cursor on table in remote server
Hi there, Is it possible to declare a cursor on 2 tables where one table is on the remote server. I can run the query in I-SQL without any problems. The open cursor statement returns sqlstate 00000, but when fetch next is called an error pops up "cursor not open" I'm doing: declare cursor_x dynamic scroll cursor for select Id from table A join ProxyTabe B on A.Id = B.Id where A.CodeFld <> B.CodeFld; open cursor_x; //sqlstate = 00000 l1:loop fetch next cursor_x into variable if sqlStatus <> 0 then leave l1 end if; end loop; close curso...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

Using the SQL Remote Message Agent only for one remote user
Hello, Currently we have Sql Anywhere 11.0.1.2376. I was wondering if it was possible to use the SQL Remote Message Agent (dbremote.exe), at the consolidated, to run only for a specific remote user. We have for example a setup with 50 remote users at our consolidated. But we only want to run dbremote for remote_user20 if remote_user20 is online and requests to synchronize. We don't want dbremote at the consolidated to import all files from all 50 users and then make exports for 50 users if only remote_user20 is online. I'm aware of the fact that SQL Remote doesn...

login authentcation using a remote sql table
 Hi all, I apologize for what could possibly be a redundant post however we still have been unable to resolve this issue.  We have created a test site using only master pages, menu bar, asp controls...login, gridview etc..  after putting the site on the server we found that it was looking for a local sql express to access the uthentication database, fine we have a different server running sql and we'll just connect to that. We created the users in the table and configured the string but nothing.  After a few diffeerent trys we removed the main login page and past...

Remote RPC Execution using Proxy Table
Hi All, We have been using Proxy tables for a remote procedure to load data from one Sybase ASE to another Sybase ASE. We are planning to migrate our system to IQ. How can we create a proxy table for a remote procedure to load data from Sybase ASE to Sybase IQ. Kindly get back a reply with a work around if no direct method is available. Thanks is advance, Yours truly, Abraham A. Samuel ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Kindly reply if anybody knows Hi All, We have been using Proxy tables for a remote procedu...

SQL Anywhere Remote Crashes after extended use
I have two servers running Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 (or whatever the latest is). Anyway, the one database updates the other through the Remote using SMTP (updates are broken into mail messages, which are then pulled by the second database using POP). The problem that is occuring is that when the Remote is left running overnight, it crashes. The specs are: 2XPent 200 128Mb RAM, NT 4.0 SP3. The only messages in the event log are something about the SQLCTRS.DLL being unable to load (Event ID 2003) and an unknown from perflib (event ID 1008). Both of these are related to performance...

Replicating passwords from one remote database to other remote databases
I am attempting to replicate password changes from a remote database to the consolidated database to all other remote databases. The reason I am attempting this is we are implementing "multi-user" remote databases, where a db user created on the consolidated can be on one or more remote databases. I want to only allow remote users to change their db passwords, but have those password changes replicate to all other remote databases. My initial thought was to have a table that maintained db user name and encrypted password that would be subscribed to by all remote databas...

Multi-Tier replication using SQL Anywhere Remote
Hello! Do you have an idea on how to setup a 2nd remote server that can replicate with the main site? 2nd site has its own set of laptop users using DBREMOTE as well. I am using FILE as message link, and I don't know how to deal with SQLREMOTE in the 2nd site. SETUP DETAILS: - Software: SQL Anywhere Studio 7.03 - Replication method: DBREMOTE.EXE - Message Link: FILE - Server: 1 HQ Server - Client: Several PCs directly using HQ DB Server , some laptops using own DB and replicated daily using DBREMOTE - SQLREMOTE Setting : \\HQ\DBS (This contains the mess...

Multi-Tier replication using SQL Anywhere Remote (Follow up)
Any advise on this? That's my solution fow now. The laptops in the third tier are directly connecting to \\hq\dbs. But since I am using dial up, its clogging up my connection. I am looking for a solution wherein only the server in second site will use the dial up line, and eventually it will communicate these changes to other terminals using LAN. Any ideas? Thanks for your help! "Reg Domaratzki" <no_rdomarat_spam@sybase.com> wrote in message news:tDgi9QqSBHA.71@forums.sybase.com... > Why doesn't the third tier (i.e. laptops from second site...

login not working on remote server
Hi. I have a problem.    I have uploaded an asp.net 2.0 web project that uses asp.net membership/roles to my hosting service.  I had already on my local machine converted the sqlexpress security database to an sql2005 one and imported all these tables, scripts, etc to  my application database.  That database was also uploaded to the host.  So my one database has all my former sql Express roles/membership tables, sp’s, etc. and my application tables, etc.    My web program  correctly works when I do not use the login screens (if I use the gue...

How can I use embedded sql to connect to a remote database server
Hi all, I have written a program (embedded sql) on Solaris platform. It needs to connect to a remote server. However, I can use the isql to connect the remote database server . However, I have set the following in the .odbc.ini . [ODBC Data Sources] SybaseASA=Adaptive Server Anywhere ODBC driver 8.0.x [SybaseASA] Driver=/export/home/hksn/kato/sybase/SYBSsa8/drivers/lib/libodbc.so UID=dba PWD=sql ServerName=sybase_win CommLinks=tcpip The SQLCODE returns -101, which is Database Server not Connected. Any suggestion to solve this problem. Thanks. Kato ...

Not able to connect to remote sql anywhere using ado.net
hi, I know this is quite newbie quest. Actuall I am new to Sybase and not having any good database knowledge either , Here is my problem: I want to connect to remote database with ado.net, I am not even to connect to remote server using connection string, It is working fine with local database that is on my PC. Connection string I am using for local database connection is : OleDbConnection myConnection = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=ASAProv;User id=dba;Password=sql;dbf=C:\database Sybase\hawaii;"); It is working fine. I have tried everything to connect to remo...

Replication of consolidated database to remote database; for columns added to a table in the consolidated database.
I want to find out if I add columns to a data table in the consolidated database and then extract it for a remote database. Will the added columns appear in the remote database automatically? or do I have to deploy the extracted remote database by copying it to the remote machine. Currently the consolidated database and the remote database get replicated nightly and they have connections already established. Due to established connections, will the extracted database automatically get deployed to the remote machine with the updated table? Try it, that is the best way to check ...

Web resources about - SQL Anywhere stops working when using remote a remote database with proxy tables - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Full Episode: WN 12/20/15: Clinton, Sanders Tangle in Democratic Debate
Gift Card Confidential: Turn Them in for Cash; Investigation of Alleged Lotto Fixing Scam Widens

Steve Harvey Announces Wrong Miss Universe 2015 Winner
Steve Harvey mistakenly crowned the wrong Miss Universe on Sunday evening (December 20). The 58-year-old television host accidentally announced ...

Experts: Jet Crew Shouldn't Tell Passengers of Bomb Scare
ABC News Experts: Jet Crew Shouldn't Tell Passengers of Bomb Scare ABC News A child rests as passengers go through security screening at Moi ...

Splintered Spanish vote heralds arduous coalition talks
Reuters Splintered Spanish vote heralds arduous coalition talks Reuters MADRID A historically fragmented vote in Spanish elections on Sunday ...

Hundreds protest release of New Delhi rapist
Salt Lake Tribune Hundreds protest release of New Delhi rapist Salt Lake Tribune Indian youth shout slogans as they are detained by police ...

Landslide devastates Chinese industrial park, 91 missing
By Ben Blanchard BEIJING (Reuters) - At least 91 people were missing after a huge mound of mud and construction waste collapsed at a business ...

Israel hit by rockets from Lebanon as tensions rise after Hezbollah's Samir Kantar killing
Katyusha missiles fired into Israel after air strike killed Hezbollah leader in Syria.

Learner drivers to get lessons on the motorway for the first time
Learner drivers could have lessons on motorways for the first time, in a bid to ensure they have tackled challenging conditions with a qualified ...

Ted Cruz Maintains Big Lead in Iowa
Here's more for the "establishment is doomed" files : Ted Cruz maintains a strong lead over Donald Trump in Iowa, according to the results of ...

SpaceX delays launch and landing test of Falcon 9 rocket
(By Irene Klotz, Reuters) – Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Sunday postponed launch of an upgraded Falcon 9 rocket and an attempt to land the booster at ...