Query Optimization in SQLAnywhere

Hi -
    We are currently running SQLAnywhere Version 5.5.03 Build #1666.    What
utilities / options are there to see what query plan is being used?  I know
you can see some plans in the statistics window in ISQL with simple
"SELECT.. ... FROM ...". but I'm more interested in what an UPDATE statement
is doing.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Funston
Lipper, Inc.

0
Brian

I thought that ISQL showed some information about updates as well.

You can run ISQL tests in batch to capture the information in a text
file; see http://www.bcarter.com/sap03.htm and also the "next page"
following that.

You can also do a SELECT PLAN ( 'your update command' ) to get even
better stuff, where PLAN() is a SQL Anywhere function.

It's hard to read the PLAN() output in ISQL, and in most front ends.
If you're using PowerBuilder, you can write a script to change the
single hex 0A characters into a hex 0D 0A pair, so it will display
properly in an MLE.

Breck

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:23:02 -0600, "Brian Funston" <bfunston@csi.com>
wrote:

>Hi -
>    We are currently running SQLAnywhere Version 5.5.03 Build #1666.    What
>utilities / options are there to see what query plan is being used?  I know
>you can see some plans in the statistics window in ISQL with simple
>"SELECT.. ... FROM ...". but I'm more interested in what an UPDATE statement
>is doing.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Brian Funston
>Lipper, Inc.

0
NOSPAM_bcarter
7/7/1999 5:25:45 PM
If you are using ESQL you can also use the EXPLAIN command.

Jason Hinsperger
Product Quality
Adaptive Server Anywhere

Breck Carter wrote:

> I thought that ISQL showed some information about updates as well.
>
> You can run ISQL tests in batch to capture the information in a text
> file; see http://www.bcarter.com/sap03.htm and also the "next page"
> following that.
>
> You can also do a SELECT PLAN ( 'your update command' ) to get even
> better stuff, where PLAN() is a SQL Anywhere function.
>
> It's hard to read the PLAN() output in ISQL, and in most front ends.
> If you're using PowerBuilder, you can write a script to change the
> single hex 0A characters into a hex 0D 0A pair, so it will display
> properly in an MLE.
>
> Breck
>
> On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:23:02 -0600, "Brian Funston" <bfunston@csi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi -
> >    We are currently running SQLAnywhere Version 5.5.03 Build #1666.    What
> >utilities / options are there to see what query plan is being used?  I know
> >you can see some plans in the statistics window in ISQL with simple
> >"SELECT.. ... FROM ...". but I'm more interested in what an UPDATE statement
> >is doing.
> >

> >Thanks in advance.
> >

> >Brian Funston
> >Lipper, Inc.