Open client app with Delphi - cannot connect to database

I am very new to SQL Anywhere and to client server in general.  I am
developing an app in delphi which has a native driver for Sybase SQL
Anywhere.  I have created a database file with some tables in it but
when I try to connect to it I get this error: 'vendor initialization
failed'.  Does anyone know what is wrong?  I think it has something to
do with configuring the interfaces file.  I installed the 'personal
server' option to my pc when I installed SQL Anywhere as I can't put it
on the server yet as we are currently in the process of setting up a new
server.  The problem may be that I haven't installed all the components
I need to use open client, is there a file I can look for to see if that
is the case before I uninstall and re-install?  I have read about
configuring open client servers in the users guide (page 777) but I
can't find the dsedit utility they talk about.  Any help is most
appreciated.  TIA.

0
Rhea

Hi, Rhea

You must use for access to SQLA  from Delphi ODBC driver, not SQL Links. Or
some 3party library (Titan, ODBCExpress or another). For 3party library look
at Kyle Cordes Alternative guide: http://www.kylecordes.com/

Oleg

----------------------------------
Oleg Kovalevsky
Moscow, Russia

0
Oleg
7/27/1999 7:52:57 AM
Hi Oleg,

I understood that I shouldn't need ODBC because Delphi 4 has a native driver for
Sybase.  I'm not sure how to configure the alias properly though.  Maybe I
didn't choose the right options when I installed SQL Anywhere. I have the latest
version of SQL Anywhere (6.0.2).  I cannot find the dsedit utility on my hard
drive. I don't have a directory bin under the sybase directory.  I think I will
uninstall sql anywhere and re-install it as IO may have chosen the wrong
components to install the first time.  If you use the same versions of delphi
and sql anywhere I may need more help with connecting to a database in delphi!
Thanks.

Rhea

Oleg Kovalevsky wrote:

> Hi, Rhea
>
> You must use for access to SQLA  from Delphi ODBC driver, not SQL Links. Or
> some 3party library (Titan, ODBCExpress or another). For 3party library look
> at Kyle Cordes Alternative guide: http://www.kylecordes.com/
>
> Oleg
>
> ----------------------------------
> Oleg Kovalevsky
> Moscow, Russia

0
Rhea
7/27/1999 4:01:14 PM
Hi Oleg,

I connected using ODBC okay but I thought it was possible to avoid it for
sybase.  Maybe it is other sybase sql databases that use the native driver.
Thanks.

Rhea

Oleg Kovalevsky wrote:

> Hi, Rhea
>
> You must use for access to SQLA  from Delphi ODBC driver, not SQL Links. Or
> some 3party library (Titan, ODBCExpress or another). For 3party library look
> at Kyle Cordes Alternative guide: http://www.kylecordes.com/
>
> Oleg
>
> ----------------------------------
> Oleg Kovalevsky
> Moscow, Russia

0
Rhea
7/27/1999 9:46:30 PM
Hi, Rhea

Native (for Delphi and SQLA or ASA) is ODBC. SQL Link is for ASE only.

PS. Sorry for bad english

Oleg
----------------------------------
Oleg Kovalevsky
Moscow, Russia

0
Oleg

Database Explorer not connecting in VWD 2005 express client 'connect to database'
I see red X over the database ASPNETDB.MDF. I went through a config. problem with sql server 2008 express client decided to retun to my original SQL server 2005 express client. This is now configured and I connect to my remote SQL server 2005 account. But I use to be able to connect also with my VWD 2005 express client and I could see all my object files, tables logins etc. it was great, now I can't connect I get this error when I choose data source>MS SQL server/.net framework data provider for SQL server>server name>authority>database name...

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I'm not sure what this error is referring to. I've built a report and it runs in the IDE in preview mode, however when I try to deploy it, I get this error message.   Thanks. Doug   ...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded."
Hello Sybase Users, Could anyone tell me what's the cause of this error message "alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded"? Actually, the sybase server is running and the user is remotely accessing the server. It was when the user used the Interactive SQL remotely that this error came out. Then, he also tried to use the Interactive SQL on the server machine but there was no error encountered. It also came out ONCE when 10 users were simultaneously logging on the system application. What's...

PB App connecting to Jaguar using open client TIME OUT..............
I have been thumbing through the user groups and have seen this question asked several times with no response. I'm developing a PB6.5 app using open client to connect to Jaguar CTS. (MASP) Sometimes but not all the time when the user goes to get a cup of coffee or take a break. And they return the next method that is called receives an error "ct_connect(): blah blah due to disconnect blah blah two endpoints failed blah blah ". What is this? can I control this from the client? Is there a time out setting? Or is this from Jaguar? Help is needed and will be greatly ap...

Best way to make a database connection in a multitiered app. Passing connection from app layer to data layer ConnectionString ConnectionRef
Hi, In brief:  How do I pass the connection string from the webapp layer to the database layer and how do I make use of this connection string in the database layer? In depth:   I have designed several 3 tiered apps (webapp, business layer, datalayer) for learning purposes.  One thing that always bothers me is the way I make the database connection. In my database layer, I use Settings.settings to store a connection string.  In truth, I should say this was set up automatically for me when I added the database (.mdf file) to the server explorer.&nbs...

Porblem to access multiple databases during on connection with open client 12.5
After upgrading open client from 12.0 to 12.5, one VB application is unable to switch between databases during one connection. Any ideas? Thanks The error message is as follows: Run-time error '-2147217887 (80040e21)': Provider does not support the property. The connection string is as follows: DRIVER={Sybase ASE ODBC Driver};SRVR=SERVERNAME;UID=UID;PWD=PWD;NetworkAddress=IPADDRESS Thanks "liy" <li_yuping@bls.gov> wrote in message news:419b9dce$1@forums-1-dub... > After upgrading open client from 12.0 to 12.5, one VB application is un...

Porblem to access multiple databases during on connection with open client 12.5
After upgrading open client from 12.0 to 12.5, one VB application is unable to switch between databases during one connection. Any ideas? Thanks ...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." error message
Hello Sybase User Experts, I like to find out the cause of this error message "Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." Do you have any idea about this? What is the cause and how to solve this problem?! Your answer or idea to this error message will be a great help to me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Beverly Beverly, First of all, what database server are you using? And how are you connecting to it? -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Beverly> wrote in message news:3f7932b1.1356....

Open Client 15 can't connect to ASE 11.5 database
This sql.ini file works fine on a Mac with the 11.5 Open Client but does not work on a Windows Open Client 15. Can't connect or ping. Can IP ping the server from the PC. Any idea what's wrong? [SYBASE] master=TCP,dbserver,1025 query=TCP,dbserver,1025 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050303060501040109050708 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Paul, Try NLWNSCK instead of TCP in below strings. HTH, Eugene Paul Williams wrote: >This sql.ini file works fine on a Mac with the 11.5 ...

PowerDynamo and Open Client connections vs ODBC connections
Lance, Carson and Larry - Based upon a previous thread I posted regarding ASA and ASE environments for our website DB and the issues we were having, I took your advice and did the following: 1. Generated our website DB in an ASE 11.9.2 environment instead of ASA 6.0.2 2. Established an Open Client connection profile to the web DB instead of using ODBC. 3. Created an Open Client connection from the website to the ASE 11.9.2 primary database. Here's is what is happening now!:( - Please see the attachment! Summary: PD pages executing stored procedures under an Open Cl...

Connection Problem with SQLAnywhere unix client connection to server on another host
We are currently having a problem getting SQLAnywhere v7 on HP-UX to connect with a Sybase database on another machine (WinNT). I have been unable to find any previous threads with information that has solved our problem. We are currently on an evaluation version of SQLAnywhere for HP-UX and we will expire soon without one connection ever being made. We use SQLAnywhere v5 on Windows to connect to the database using the following command: dbclient -Z -x TCPIP{DOBROADCAST=NO; HOST=SOMEHOST} linksr with an ODBC data source with the following settings: Data source name: links...

Open client connection
Hi, I read in help file that for deploying jaguar components from powersite to powerdynamo u need ti have a jaguar connection. now this needs an open client connection. the machine that i work on is an windows 95 with jaguar installed as an client. also i dont 've an open client driver installed in the machine. the help topic i read was thru powersite help file and the topic was about deploying jaguar components. what i want to know is that whether there is any work around to it so that i don't 've to install open client on my machine. being a total newbie, i would appre...

Open Client Connect
Hello all, The following works when I used ODBC connection in my component: itr_trans.dbms = "ODBC" itr_trans.DBParm = "UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='DBconnect_ODBC'" CONNECT USING itr_trans; When I tried to replace with: itr_trans.dbms = "CTLIB_110" or itr_trans.dbms = "CTLIB" or itr_trans.dbms = "SYC Adaptive Server Enterprise" for Open Client it doesn't work! Does any body knows what I did wrong? Please help! TIA, Hong Use SYJ. Carson ___________________________________...

Web resources about - Open client app with Delphi - cannot connect to database - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...