ODBC Connection to Access

Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.  When I
try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:

"[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server: authentication
violation (-98) "

I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"

Any Ideas?

0
Tom
9/26/1998 1:47:04 PM
📁 sybase.sqlanywhere.general
📃 32637 articles.
⭐ 4 followers.

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 429 Views

Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third party
product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their product.
 Is this true?
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com

Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
<xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
When I
> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
>
> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
authentication
> violation (-98) "
>
> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
>
> Any Ideas?

0
Jim
9/26/1998 2:55:34 PM
This is true.

They supplied a copy of the engine with their product.
Can I get around this by purchasing my own copy of SQL Anywhere?

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bde967$21f7e780$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third party
>product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their product.
> Is this true?
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX
>
>Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
><xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
>> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
>When I
>> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
>>
>> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
>authentication
>> violation (-98) "
>>
>> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
>>
>> Any Ideas?

0
Tom
9/26/1998 7:33:00 PM
To answer your question directly, yes you can get around this by purchasing
a licensed copy of SQL Anywhere.  My understanding is that the engine is
authenticated, not the database.  It is possible that the software vendor
may have specific language in their contract or warranty that precludes you
from doing this so proceed with caution

Here is an excerpt from TechDoc 44564 which explains Authentication.  If
you want the entire thing go to:
http://techdocs.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=44564
But I've include most of it here.
The authenticated version is a special version that behaves in one of the
following three ways.
- Does not allow unauthenticated software to connect to an engine or
server.
- Only allow unauthenticated software to perform read operations against an
engine or server.
- Only allow unauthenticated software to perform Data Manipulation Language
DML statements such as select, insert, and update.  It does not allow Data
Definition Language DDL such as  create or alter statements.

Why is it used?
Commercial programs may choose to deploy with this edition as it can ensure
that the data is not accessed by any other method than the authenticated
application that SQL Anywhere is deployed with.  S-Designor Metaworks
enables design teams to work together on common datamodels by using a read
only authenticated version of SQL Anywhere to store the models.
How does an application become authenticated?
An authenticated application passes a key to the authenticated engine or
server.  Once this key has been accepted any communications on the
authenticated connection bypass the authentication restrictions.  For more
information please see the readme book included with the Sybase SQL
Anywhere Authenticated Edition installation.
What does an authenticated engine or server look like?
The actual executable looks the same as an unauthenticated engine or server
but when it starts up it will say in the messages screen that it is an
authenticated version.
--

<VAFMesX69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> This is true.
>
> They supplied a copy of the engine with their product.
> Can I get around this by purchasing my own copy of SQL Anywhere?
>
> Jim Egan wrote in message <01bde967$21f7e780$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third
party
> >product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their
product.
> > Is this true?
> >--
> >Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> >Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
> >Houston, TX
> >
> >Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
> ><xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> >> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
> >When I
> >> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
> >>
> >> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
> >authentication
> >> violation (-98) "
> >>
> >> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
> >>
> >> Any Ideas?

0
Jim
9/26/1998 11:59:54 PM