ODBC connect error using SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 Evaluation copy

I'm using an evaluation copy of SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0.  The database is
running on a NT 4.0 server.  Clients are running Windows 2000 using TCP/IP.
I can connect to the database from the server using Sybase Central.
However, I cannot connect to the database from the client.  This is the
error I am getting:

State:08001,Native:-100,Origin:[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server
Anywhere] "Unable to connect to database server: Database server not found"

Is this a limitation of the Evaluation package?  Will it only allow me to
connect from the machine installed on?

0
Richard_Stuppi

You need to run dbsrv8 if you want connect from different machines.

/ck

<Richard_Stuppi> wrote in message
> I'm using an evaluation copy of SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0.  The database is
> running on a NT 4.0 server.  Clients are running Windows 2000 using
TCP/IP.
> I can connect to the database from the server using Sybase Central.
> However, I cannot connect to the database from the client.  This is the
> error I am getting:
>
> State:08001,Native:-100,Origin:[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server
> Anywhere] "Unable to connect to database server: Database server not
found"

> Is this a limitation of the Evaluation package?  Will it only allow me to
> connect from the machine installed on?

0
Chris

SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0.1 ODBC Connection Problems Between Windows & Linux
All: I'm experiencing difficulty connecting via ODBC from a Windows NT client machine to a Linux server machine. The ODBC Administration tool on NT allows me to connect to the ASA instance but not to a specified database. The error I receive is "Request to start/stop database denied". I'm able to successfully connect from NT to Linux when the Linux server is on the same IP subnet as the NT client machine. Very strange. It is also significant to note that it appears to be an ODBC only problem. I've drawn this conclusion because I'm able to connect via ...

SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0.2
I am trying to consolidate about 15 installations of SQL Anywhere onto the same version 8. I would like to be on the most recent Maintenance Release for Windows. That appears to be 8.0.2 build 3601. However, several months ago, we downloaded build 4122. At the time, I believe it was posted as an English Maintenance release. Now it is posted as a Japanese Maintenance release. It has worked fine in the installation. What is the difference between the Japanese and English versions and what are the ramifications of using this version? Which build should I choose to consolidate ...

SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 and Win Server 2003 Install Error
My office has an old Windows NT 4.0 SP6 server running SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0, actually 8.00.02.4398. We are replacing that with a Windows Server 2003 machine. When I attempted to install the software from the 8.0 CD, to the Win Server 2003 machine, I got the following error message as soon as I selected English for the install. "An installation support file could not be installed. Not enough storage is available to complete this operation" I then tried my 8.03 EBF patch and got the same error. I have 50 GB of space in the drive. Any ideas? jim Use control ...

��SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 Evaluation
Recently, I downloaded Sybase SQl Anywhere Studio 8.0 for Windows 2000 and Windows CE. I am trying to put together a demo for a potential client, demonstrating the solid infrastructure provided by the Sybase products. I have determined that they indeed integrate quite well. I wish to move off of the evaluation copy after its expiration date. However, I am troubled by one technical problem whch I need to resolve before making the investment and proceeding with serious development. It is the following: 1 - I wish to demonstrate to the client how even the Visual Basic developers on thei...

PB 9 connecting to SQL 8.0 sp4 connection error
I have a connection to a sql database as SA and a password. Works great. Now the new server (clustered blade/san setup) is using a windows authentication connection method. I've tried passing domain\user and pw, just user and pw and all I get is the dreaded --------------------------- PowerBuilder --------------------------- A SQLServer request resulted in a bad return code or status but no error message was returned --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Anyone have any experience passing a windows authenticated user to SQL? TIA Dan >I ...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

how do you do a select into using powerbuilder 8.0 connecting to sql server 7.0
I have a powerbuilder app that used to connect to a sql anywhere database that is now connecting to sql server. I have found an equivalent to the today(*) function: select substring(convert(char(10), getdate(), 120), 1, 10) The problem with this is that it will not work in a select-into because sub quereies are not allowed. So, what I want to do is a select-into using the above conversion query, store it in a local date variable above but I keep getting a syntax error(I have also tried using a local string variable and I get the same error) . Here is the code that generates the...

EAServer 6.0 connect to MS SQL SERVER using ODBC Connection
I am currently migrating from EAServer 4.2 to 6.0. I am trying to connect a SQL Server database through an ODBC connection in EAServer 6.0. When I set up the data source and tried to ping the database server, it gives me an error saying it cannot connect to the database. I have tried to change the database type from SQL SERVER to JCM_ODBC and other multiple things to try to connect, but it still fails. The odbc connection is properly set up but I can't seem to connect through EAServer. Any help would be appreciated. Could you please give the log of EAServer6 which is under ...

error invalid datasource in sql anywhere 7.0, using pb7.0 desktop.
I am working with a client. I had them load pb7.0 desktop to do pipeing(merging) of some databases. I had previously created these databases using sql studio 7.03. on my computer, sent it to them, had them load pb 7.0 now when he tries to go into dbprof in pb and set up a profile to connect to the database he gets. "Invalid or Unsupported Datasource 'CSG'. Could not connect to the database. He is on windows98. We installed sql anywhere6.0 from the pb disk, reinstalled sql anywhere 7.03 and still couldn't get to the databse.We can get to it using sybase central wi...

I'm getting java.sql.SQLException and Database not found error while connecting SQL Anyware using ODBC driver.
Hi Friends, I'm getting java.sql.SQLException and Database not found error while connecting SQL Anyware using ODBC driver. I've specified following points while creating the DSN DSN name=xyz Server name=abc User name=pqr password=**** And I'm trying to access this database by writing a JAVA program. I created URL like this jdbc:odbc:xyz Now it is throwing above error can anyone please suggest me how to get rid of this problem, any thing more has to be done, please specify Thanks in advance, hamsa ...

Errors using hotmail after latest major update: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8
Name: William Green Email: wjgreen_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Errors using hotmail after latest major update: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8 Comments: After I installed the latest update and rebooted, every time I go to open an email in hotmail.com (this does NOT occur in other email sites I use), I get the following three Alert messages that I have to click through to get to my email: [object XPCNativeWrapper [object HTMLBodyElement]] [object XPCNativeWrapper [object HTMLScriptElement]] TypeError: d...

SQL Anywhere Client (AIX) to Access SQL Anywhere 8.0
What client is needed to access SQL Anywhere 8.0 from an AIX client machine? Where can I download it? The Unix version of SQL Anywhere Studio is available for purchase. The client software is included in the package. Your sales rep can assist you with the pricing details for client licenses. -- ----------------------------------------------- Robert Waywell Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions Please respond ONLY to newsgroup EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to al...

SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 review
There's an online review of SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 at http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?product_id={A1D04452-5A7E-458A-AB5 1-4D4932EE874F}. Richard ...

sql anywhere 5.0 ODBC errors
Hi all I'm trying to connect to a third party application that uses sql anywhere 5.0 version 5.05.04.1867 as the database. I have (I think) install the ODBC Drivers on the client machine and when I try to connect to the server via a system dsn I get the following error message unable to connect to database server:unable to start database engine(#80) Microsoft odbc driver manager drivers SQLConnectAttr failed(#0) I installed the third party application locally and I can connect to the local database. So I map a drive to the server and tried to connect like a local machine w...

Web resources about - ODBC connect error using SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 Evaluation copy - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Program Evaluation and Review Technique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Program (or Project ) Evaluation and Review Technique , commonly abbreviated PERT , is a statistical tool, used in project management , that ...

Ready-K! The Kindergarten Readiness Preparation and Evaluation Test on the App Store on iTunes
Get Ready-K! The Kindergarten Readiness Preparation and Evaluation Test on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation - YouTube
When I had some free time to take a look at Windows 8, I realized that I couldn't be impartial. The thing blows, and in this cartoon illustration, ...

Indian worker sent for psychiatric evaluation after vicious knife attack in Dubai - The National
Man stabbed colleague multiple times in face, neck and torso after losing his job.

Baby dies in New York after being thrown out a window, mother under psychiatric evaluation
The death of the child was the third time in recent months that babies in the city had been fatally thrown from a window of their own home.

Good Gear Guide Evaluation Team Reviews
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

Center for Innovation, Testing, & Evaluation: World’s Largest Urban Simulator
AT FIRST glance it appears to be an illusion &#8212; a giant, very pricey one.

Oscar Pistorius to start psychiatric evaluation at Pretoria hospital
Paralympian Oscar Pistorius will begin a psychiatric evaluation at a mental-health hospital on May 26 to determine if he can be held criminally ...

Costs of election promises need independent evaluation
The sky is the limit for political parties when it comes to making election promises. Having a Victorian parliamentary budget office would help ...

Casey Kasem to be fed, medicated amid legal evaluation: judge
A judge says Casey Kasem should be fed, hydrated and medicated while a court-appointed attorney evaluates the health of the ailing radio personality. ...