Not able to connect to remote sql anywhere using ado.net

hi,
I know this is quite newbie quest.
Actuall I am new to Sybase and not having any good database
knowledge either , Here is my problem:
I want to connect to remote database with ado.net, I am not
even to connect to remote server using connection string, It
is working fine with local database that is on my PC.
Connection string I  am using for local database connection
is :

OleDbConnection myConnection =  new
OleDbConnection(@"Provider=ASAProv;User
id=dba;Password=sql;dbf=C:\database Sybase\hawaii;");

It is working fine.

I have tried  everything to connect to remote server but
didn't succeded.
here is some of the code that I used for that:

OleDbConnection myConnection =  new OleDbConnection(@"Data
Source=192.0.0.0;Provider=ASAProv.80;uid=dba;pwd=sql;Database=guide;
dbf=C:\Documents and Settings\guide.db");

This is not working error shown is database not found .
Please provide me connection string for that.

thanx
0
Dammanjit

Dammanjit singh wrote:
> I want to connect to remote database with ado.net, I am not
> even to connect to remote server using connection string, It
> is working fine with local database that is on my PC.

Welcome to the SQLAnywhere newsgroups!
Please be sure to include the version and build number of SQLAnywhere
that you are using with each post you make (for example, use the command
"dbeng9 -v" for SQLAnywhere 9.x).

To connect to a remote server, you need to provide, at a minimum, the
name of the database server (ENG or EngineName) so that the client
library can 'find' the server.  Without an engine name, the client
library attempts to connect to the first locally running server it
finds, and if none then it gives up.

There is extensive information about connection strings in the
SQLAnywhere online documentation.  The following technical note is
likely a good starting point:

   http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/asa_connect_servers.html

Another great place to read is in the SQLAnywhere 9.x online docs:

    ASA Database Administration Guide
      Connecting to a Database
       - Troubleshooting connections

> OleDbConnection myConnection =  new OleDbConnection(@"Data
> Source=192.0.0.0;Provider=ASAProv.80;uid=dba;pwd=sql;Database=guide;
> dbf=C:\Documents and Settings\guide.db");

Based on what you have provided, I suspect you could start with
something like:

OleDbConnection myConnection =  new
OleDbConnection(@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=YOUR_SERVER_NAME;DBN=YOUR_DB_NAME;LINKS=tcpip(HOST=YOUR_DB_SERVER)");

A few points about this:
   - There is no point in specifying the DBF if the database is already
     running on the remote server.
   - If you have not explicitly named your server and database when
     starting the remote server, then the ENG and DBN parameters will
     be the same as the name of your .db file with the .db extension
     removed (e.g. "guide" if the .db file is "guide.db")
   - YOUR_DB_SERVER can be the DNS hostname or the IP address of the
     machine running the database
   - For faster initial connectivity, you might append
     ";DOBROADCAST=none"
   - To see connection debugging information, append
     ";LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt" and look in c:\asa_connection.txt after
     a connection attempt is made.

Hope this helps,
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/21/2006 6:58:47 PM
Greg Fenton wrote:

> To connect to a remote server, you need to provide, at a minimum, the
> name of the database server (ENG or EngineName) so that the client
> library can 'find' the server.

To be technically correct, you must provide at a minimum the ENG, UID
and PWD parameters to connect to a remote server (the bare minimum for
any connection is UID and PWD).

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/21/2006 7:03:12 PM
Greg Fenton wrote:
> Greg Fenton wrote:
>
> To be technically correct, you must provide at a minimum the ENG, UID
> and PWD parameters to connect to a remote server (the bare minimum for
> any connection is UID and PWD).

To be *absolutely* technically correct, to connect to a remote server,
you need to specify both ENG and LINKS, since you can't connect to a
remote server over shared memory, which is the default for LINKS.

<pedantic mode>
The absolute minimum number of parameters to connect to a remote server
is three: ENG, LINKS, and INT -- this would be using integrated login.
If you're not using integrated login, then the minimum is four (UID and
PWD instead of INT).
</pedantic mode>

--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Graeme
Thanks fo reply.
Problem not solved  yet.
Now I am using this connection string:
(@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=IP Address of
Server;DBN=guide.db;dbf=C:\Desktop\guide.db;LINKS=tcpip(HOST=IP
Address same as ENG);LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");

Is the connection string correct?

Also LOG File is generated contains information.

mon jan 23 2006 23:54:06
23:54:06 Application information:
23:54:06 "HOST=CAR12;OS=Windows 2000 Build 2195 Service Pack
4;PID=0x810;THREAD=0x7fc;EXE=C:\Documents and
Settings\damman\My Documents\Visual Studio
Projects\dbtest\bin\Debug\dbtest.exe;VERSION=9.0.0.1108;API=ODBC;
TIMEZONEADJUSTMENT=330"
23:54:06 Attempting to connect using:
UID=dba;PWD=********;DBN=guide.db;DBF=C:\Desktop\guide.db;ENG=IP
Address as I
provided;CON=SQL_DBC_76c4a90;LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt;LINKS=tcpip(HOST=same
as ENG)
23:54:06 Attempting to connect to a running server...
23:54:06 Trying to start TCPIP link ... 23:54:06 Loading
wsock32.dll
23:54:06 TCP using Winsock version 2.0
23:54:06 My IP address is MY IP address
23:54:06 My IP address is 127.0.0.1
23:54:06     TCPIP link started successfully 23:54:06
Attempting TCPIP connection (no asasrv.ini cached address)
23:54:06 Looking for server with name IP as provided to ENG
23:54:06 Trying to find server at address IP as provided to
ENG
23:54:06 Found server, verifying server name
23:54:07 Verification of server name failed
23:54:07 I am in a class C network
23:54:07 Sending broadcast to find server
23:54:07 Using broadcast address of: 192.168.0.255:2638
23:54:07 I am in a class A network
23:54:07 Sending broadcast to find server
23:54:07 Using broadcast address of: 127.255.255.255:2638
23:54:08 Resending
23:54:09 Resending
23:54:10 Resending
23:54:11 Resending
23:54:12     Server not found (no reply received)
23:54:12 Failed to connect over TCPIP 23:54:12 Not
attempting to autostart server
23:54:12 Cannot connect to server

Dammanjit
1/23/2006 6:44:08 PM
The log file you included tells me that the server name is not the IP
address of the machine. What is the command you're using to start the
server? That will tell us the server name, which you can then use in the
ENG parameter.

--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
A Sybase company

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Graeme
1/23/2006 8:59:30 PM
well, I don't know which server you are talking about. This
is what I am doing:
 I am starting sql anywhere 9 on client by using remote
connection and right click on Adaptive Server Anywhere 9
,then it shows connect and preferences options ,then I click
on connect and database starts.This is whole what I am doing
to start database on remote server , then I simply put
server IP address on ENG .
Also I am to able to ping remote  server .

I don't know I am right or wrong because this is first time
I am working on sql anywhere ,
So if I am doing wrong please tell me how to do that.
thanks

"Graeme Perrow" <gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> wrote in
message news:43d54097$1@forums-2-dub...
> The log file you included tells me that the server name is
not the IP
> address of the machine. What is the command you're using
to start the
> server? That will tell us the server name, which you can
then use in the
> ENG parameter.
>
> --
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
> A Sybase company
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through
the iAnywhere
> Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Dammanjit
1/23/2006 9:42:40 PM
well, I don't know which server you are talking about. This
is what I am doing:
 I am starting sql anywhere 9 on client by using remote
connection and right click on Adaptive Server Anywhere 9
,then it shows connect and preferences options ,then I click
on connect and database starts.This is whole what I am doing
to start database on remote server , then I simply put
server IP address on ENG .
Also I am to able to ping remote  server .

I don't know I am right or wrong because this is first time
I am working on sql anywhere ,
So if I am doing wrong please tell me how to do that.
thanks

"Graeme Perrow" <gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> wrote in
message news:43d54097$1@forums-2-dub...
> The log file you included tells me that the server name is
not the IP
> address of the machine. What is the command you're using
to start the
> server? That will tell us the server name, which you can
then use in the
> ENG parameter.
>
> --
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
> A Sybase company
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through
the iAnywhere
> Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Dammanjit
1/23/2006 9:44:37 PM
Dammanjit wrote:
> well, I don't know which server you are talking about. This

Graeme is asking that you show the command line that is used to start
the database server itself (i.e. the one on the remote machine).

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/24/2006 3:57:36 AM
Dammanjit wrote:

> Now I am using this connection string:
> (@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=IP Address of
> Server;DBN=guide.db;dbf=C:\Desktop\guide.db;LINKS=tcpip(HOST=IP
> Address same as ENG);LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");
>
> Is the connection string correct?

It is a piece of random garbage, because:

1) ENG is a server name, not an IP address;
2) DBN is a datbase name;
3) DBF and DBN do not make sense together.

Dmitri.
0
Dmitri
1/24/2006 7:48:55 AM
Not true

1) ENG can be anything so you could use an IP to name the engine.
2) Again, DBN can be anything so you could use the database file name
3) It is best practice to name your database so the combination of DBF
and DBN would be very common.

To help resolve this case, the remote SQL database engine command line
is needed. With that, we can advise correctly, without any further
guessing, what the connection string needs to be.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

Chris
1/24/2006 1:19:16 PM
I am using
dbeng8 -n test guide.db
also I tried
dbeng8 -n test guide
It is showing error: Cannot open/read file.

Thanks

> Graeme is asking that you show the command line that is
> used to start  the database server itself (i.e. the one on
> the remote machine).
>
> greg.fenton
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 5:17:09 PM
Maybe you are right , I have written befor that I am new to
sybase so I might be doing wrong , So if u know where I am
doing wrong please help me in doing it in right way.
Command line that I am  using to start the database server
is
dbeng8 -n test guide.db
guide.db is name of database file that I am using.
It is showing error: "Cannot open/read file."
Also I tried
dbeng8 -n test guide
It is showing same error.

Thanks

"Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message
> Dammanjit wrote:
>
> > Now I am using this connection string:
> > (@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=IP Address of

Server;DBN=guide.db;dbf=C:\Desktop\guide.db;LINKS=tcpip(HOST=IP
> > Address same as ENG);LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");
> >
> > Is the connection string correct?
>
> It is a piece of random garbage, because:
>
> 1) ENG is a server name, not an IP address;
> 2) DBN is a datbase name;
> 3) DBF and DBN do not make sense together.
>
> Dmitri.
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 5:37:56 PM
Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions) wrote:

> 3) It is best practice to name your database

Surely :).

> so the combination of DBF and DBN would be very common.

I've never actually tried that (I don't really need to start and stop
databases on the fly), however the ASA9.0.1 manual states the following:

Note

If you specify both the database name and database file, the database
file is ignored and is not used to try to connect to a database that is
already running.

My understanding of the above passage is "DBN and DBF are mutually
exclusive". Wrong?

Dmitri.
0
Dmitri
1/24/2006 5:59:13 PM
Dmitri wrote:
> ...however the ASA9.0.1 manual states the following:

> Note
>
> If you specify both the database name and database file, the database
> file is ignored and is not used to try to connect to a database that is
> already running.
>
> My understanding of the above passage is "DBN and DBF are mutually
> exclusive". Wrong?

The documentation is wrong here. Actually, it's more misleading than
wrong. When you connect to a server, the client sends both the DBN and
DBF parameters to the server. It then uses the DBN *only* to detemine if
the database is *already* running (the above passage about DBF being
ignored is referring to this part of the process).

If no matching database name is found, then it attempts to autostart the
database file specified by DBF, and uses the database name specified by DBN.

I'll notify the doc team to clean up the wording there.

--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
A Sybase company

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Graeme
1/24/2006 6:44:08 PM
Well fine , But I am still not able to solve my problem .
I am connected to remote server using remote desktop
connection , and on command prompt I am using the command
line.

Am I doing correct?
If not please tell me what I need to do
The command line used to start  the database server itself

dbeng8 -n test guide.db
also I tried
dbeng8 -n test guide
It is showing error: Cannot open/read file.

Thanks.
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 7:06:52 PM
dbeng8 is not a network aware option. For this to work, the application
would need to be running on the same machine to establish connectivity.

You need to use the network server (dbsrv8) to connect if the
application is running from a difference location than the server.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

Chris
1/24/2006 7:37:26 PM
hi thanks,
I have generated engine name test which I get from dbsrv8 -n
test.
also while creating name one msg  pop up and  informed that
default port cannot be set so some other port number is
given to me.
now when I use that engine name in my connection string and
try to connect it gives the error.
error is : "Syntex error or access violation: Request to
start/stop database denied -2147467259."

Connection string is:
(@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=test;
dbf=C:\Desktop\Hvguide.db;LINKS=tcpip{HOST=IP Address of
remote server;PORT=49152};LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");

Does it mean that I don't have access rights or some problem
is in connection string?
I think connection string is correct now, so what to do with
access rights?

thanks
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 8:46:54 PM
On 24 Jan 2006 10:44:08 -0800, Graeme Perrow
<gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> wrote:

>The documentation is wrong here. Actually, it's more misleading than
>wrong.

After ten years with SQL Anywhere, I still find connecting to the
database is a Dark Art. The various parameters offer a Rubik's Cube of
flexibility, far more freedom than any other product, and a thousand
times more freedom than any sane person needs.

But it's too late to even think about reducing flexibility in the name
of simplicity... for each option and path there's someone who's built
an application on it.

I am writing to agree, it's The Documentation that must come to the
rescue.

Breck The Long Winded

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
: "Syntex error or access violation: Request to
start/stop database denied -2147467259."
my connection string is:
(@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=test;
dbf=C:\Desktop\Hvguide.db;LINKS=tcpip{HOST=IP Address of
remote server;PORT=49152};LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");

thanks
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 9:54:41 PM
In order to auto-load a database onto a network server, you need to already
be connected to a different database with DBA authority.  You can over ride
this requirement by adding the "-gd all" switch to the dbsrv8 command line.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

<Dammanjit singh> wrote in message
> hi thanks,
> I have generated engine name test which I get from dbsrv8 -n
> test.
> also while creating name one msg  pop up and  informed that
> default port cannot be set so some other port number is
> given to me.
> now when I use that engine name in my connection string and
> try to connect it gives the error.
> error is : "Syntex error or access violation: Request to
> start/stop database denied -2147467259."
>
> Connection string is:
> (@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=test;
> dbf=C:\Desktop\Hvguide.db;LINKS=tcpip{HOST=IP Address of
> remote server;PORT=49152};LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");
>
> Does it mean that I don't have access rights or some problem
> is in connection string?
> I think connection string is correct now, so what to do with
> access rights?
>
> thanks

0
Reg
1/24/2006 9:58:49 PM
Dammanjit singh wrote:
> hi thanks,
> I have generated engine name test which I get from dbsrv8 -n
> test.
> also while creating name one msg  pop up and  informed that
> default port cannot be set so some other port number is
> given to me.
> now when I use that engine name in my connection string and
> try to connect it gives the error.
> error is : "Syntex error or access violation: Request to
> start/stop database denied -2147467259."
>
> Connection string is:
> (@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=test;
> dbf=C:\Desktop\Hvguide.db;LINKS=tcpip{HOST=IP Address of
> remote server;PORT=49152};LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");
>
> Does it mean that I don't have access rights or some problem
> is in connection string?
> I think connection string is correct now, so what to do with
> access rights?
>
> thanks

Start the database with the server, rather than attempting to autostart
it. Start the server with something like:

dbsrv8 -n test C:\desktop\hvguide.db

and then change your connection string to:

(@"Provider=ASAProv.80;UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=test;
dbn=hvguide;LINKS=tcpip{HOST=IP Address of
remote server;PORT=49152};LOG=c:\asa_connection.txt");

By the way, the fact that your server is starting on port 49152
indicates that something is already listening on the default port of
2638. Do you already have an ASA server running on that machine?

--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
A Sybase company

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Graeme
1/24/2006 10:00:48 PM
hi
It is working now.
I don't  know why it is not taking the default port,
asa is not already running on server when I start this
command.
again it is saying to use different port.
Is there any other problem if I use different port .

thanks all for solving problem.
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 10:49:50 PM
Please answer all the questions below:

Are you trying to connect to a database that is already running, or
are you trying to start it when you connect? Those are two entirely
different scenarios.

What is your actual connection string? I am asking because

   HOST=IP Address of remote server

is not correct; you need to put an actual domain name or IP address
there, as in

   HOST=192.168.1.50

If you are trying to start the database when you connect, it MUST be
on the same computer, so the LINKS is unnecessary.

If you are trying to connect to a database that is already running,
then leave out the DBF, and make sure you have the ENG, HOST and PORT
correct. You might not need the LINKS at all.

Breck

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com
0
Breck
1/24/2006 10:57:39 PM
HI,
It is working now ,
I am connecting to  remote database server.
Actually I am working first time with sql anywhere , that's
why I was bit confused with connection string.
But now it is  working fine.
Thanks for your help.
0
Dammanjit
1/24/2006 11:51:43 PM
Dammanjit sijngh wrote:
> I am using
> dbeng8 -n test guide.db

dbengX is the Personal Server.  It only allows connections from
applications running on the same machine.

For remote connections, you need to run the Network Server (dbsrv8).

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/25/2006 8:47:30 AM
Dammanjit singh wrote:
> I don't  know why it is not taking the default port,
> asa is not already running on server when I start this
> command.

Try getting a tool like TCPView from www.sysinternals.com to see what is
running on port 2638.

> Is there any other problem if I use different port .

No, not necessarily.  But it is always a good idea to find out why some
particular expected behaviour (i.e. use of the default port) does not
work on your production server.

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Greg
1/25/2006 8:51:05 AM
HI,
Well ,I found why it is not taking default port, actually
another database server is running. I found it on services
running on server.
Last 4 days were full of tension regarding sql anywhere
connection , now it is working fine.
Thanks all
0
Dammanjit

Not able to connect to remote sql anywhere with ado.net.
hi , I am quite new to sybase , so please help in this problem. I am not able to connect to remote sql anywhere database using ado.net. actually I am not able to generate engine name I am using this command for that on remote Server: dbeng8 -n test guide.db guide.db is name of database file that I am using. It is showing error: "Cannot open/read file." Also I tried dbeng8 -n test guide It is showing same error. Since I am not able to generate engine name for database server, so I am using IP address for that Connection string I am using so far is : OleDbConnection m...

Not able to connect to SQL SERVER using ADO.NET
Hi, I am trying to connect to SQL SERVER 2000using VS.Net 2003.I ve configured my LOCAL sql sever to use windows authentication(in enterprise manager) Ths is the connection string i use in ADO.net for connection to the database 'test' in the local server.server=(LOCAL);integrated security = SSPI;database=test;1)This gives the following  error...."Login failed for <user name\ASPNET>"2)Also enteprise manager did not allow me to use sql server authentication.Please helpSat Have you added ASPNET as a user in the database? Hi Satishr23. It is possible that your log-in ac...

problem with Connecting to a SQL Anywhere Studio Database Using ADO.NET
I am trying to connect and read the data from the asademo.db database that is used in the document "Connecting to a SQL Anywhere Studio Database Using ADO.NET ". I am using Sql Anywhere v7.0 and MS Visual Studio .Net 2003 with C#. I can connect to the database but I get a 'Specific cas is not valid' exception when I try to run the myReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader() line in the demo course. Can anyone tell me why it is not working? I'm getting the same error using V7.0.2.1402. Did you find any solution/workaround? You need a more recent version of the A...

I'm not able to connect to SQL server using ASP.NET & VS.NET
plzz help me , I use VS.NET --> VB.NET --> ASP.NET appln. Database : Nortwind using SQL data adapter And plzz let me know what are steps in connecting to database. I've tried something but i'm getting " Login failed for user 'HOME-HG0B8FTI7Y\ASPNET'. " error. Some1 out dere solve this problem Server Error in '/WebApplication6' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Login failed for user 'HOME-HG0B8FTI7Y\ASPNET'. Description: An unha...

ado.net and SQL AnyWhere Connectivity
Hello: Can anyone provide me with a method of connecting to sql anywhere 5.5 pro using odbc via vb.net? I need a good connectstring. Here is a sample of my code: Dim mo_Conn As OleDbConnection Dim o_Adapter As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter Dim o_DS As New DataSet() mo_Conn = New OleDbConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ProCount_SQLServer")) mo_Conn.Open() o_Adapter = New OleDbDataAdapter() o_Adapter.SelectCommand = New OleDb.OleDbCommand(TextBox1.Text, mo_Conn) o_DS.Clear() o_Adapter.Fill(o_DS) The problem that...

cannot connect to sql anywhere 9 through ado asp.net
Hello. I am trying to develop an ASP.NET application to connect to a SQL Anywhere database. I want to use ADO as the connection mechanism. The problem that I am having is that I am receiving an error of General error: Internal database error ??? -- transaction rolled back I have no idea what could be causing this error. My delphi code for the ASP app is strConn := 'Data Source=ASA 9.0 Sample;Provider=ASAProv.90'; objConnection := OleDbConnection.Create(strConn); I have also tried making a C# ASP application with no luck. Same error. I have actually recreated this ...

Security Error connecting to SQL Server using ADO.net
In our environment, we can successfully connect to SQL server using ADO.net interface, but when we delivered the software to clients, they are having connection errors. Connection parameters all look good. I am not sure what this error is about and unfortunately, the error does not tell much. Thanks in advance for helping me out Below are the details of the error Initial Connection Error Trans Error Code: -1 DBErrorCode:999 DBMS: ADO.Net DB Error Message: System.Security.SecurityException:Request failed. at Sybase.PowerBuilder.Db.Block.OleDbBlock.Connect(String cnnStr,...

helps on remote connection to sql server 2005 by ADO.net
I have two database named db1 and db2 on same database server. both of them have same configuration. I am using ADO.net (sqlclient, app will be located on another machine in same domain) to conntect to them. but one of them works fine and the second one gives me an error saying "remote connection are not allowed, error no 40" like that.I check surface Area Configuration and enable local/remote connection. since they are using same server configuration, why one is being connected but another can not be.  and, if I use Visual Studio 2005 (Server Explorer)  to construct a co...

I want to know how to use ADO.net connect remote datebase
Im the new in ASP.net. I find no way to connect remote datebase(sql server 2000). Everybody who have ways help me. Thank you! Sorry!!It's database not datebase!!HA~~ ::I find no way to connect remote datebase(sql server 2000). ::Everybody who have ways help me. Would be a ton of help. Read up on ADO.NET in the documentation. Thomas TomiczekPowerNodes ApS(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)---Building a Website? Try the PowerNodes CMS - http://www.powernodes.com/ thank you!! but could you give me some samples!! i want use ASP.net to connect remote database to display dat...

Cannot connect to SQL Server database using ado.net after IP address has changed
Dear all, I wasn't able to connect to my SQL server 2000 database (which reside in the network in a windows 2003 server) after the IP address of the server has changed and the server is shut down, moved and re-started. I was able to connect to this server by using ADO using VB. I was able to register this server in my EM and was able to create ODBC connection. Just when using ADO.NET, I wasn't able to connect. Any ideas? Will there be any caching within ADO.NET still pointing to the old IP address? Thank you for all the help in advance. There are a lot of variable possibilites her...

PB 10.2.0 Connect SQL Server Using ADO.NET Provider
I have a problem with connection to SQL Server database using ADO.NET after upgrading to PB10.2.0 build 8011 runtime on the client machine. But it worked fine in version 10.0.1 build 6044 . Anyone can help me to figure ot that problem? TIA. John Ho. Can you try to provide details of the problem? <John Ho> wrote in message news:427aeaa1.7f95.1681692777@sybase.com... >I have a problem with connection to SQL Server database > using ADO.NET after upgrading to PB10.2.0 build 8011 runtime > on the client machine. But it worked fine in version 10.0.1 > build 604...

HELP: Connecting using 10.5 w\MS SQL Server\ADO.NET
Hello, I was able to establish a connection using ADO.NET from within PowerBuilder, but when I try to run the application, on the login I am being asked for a Data Source. Is there something in the .ini file that needs to be tweaked. Here is a sample of what PowerBuilder 8.0 uses: [Mod] DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x Database=pdat_1011 UserId= DatabasePassword= LogPassword= ServerName=denison03 LogId= Lock= DbParm= Prompt=0 dbstatus=Model Office Section 1011 ArchiveFile="" Thanks, LaChandra In the db-profile check out the preview tab. That tells you ...

ASP .NET connect to MySQL using ADO .NET...?
Hi guys,Need some advice here as I am new to ASP .NET and ADO .NET. I am currently using MySQL .NET Connector to connect to MySQL database using ASP .NET. I came across this ADO .NET provided by Microsoft which also can connect to a database. Hence,1) Is this the correct manner in terms of technology usage?ASP .NET <-> ADO .NET <-> MySQL DB2) Is there any samples to show such a usage? I search the forums, it seems like there isn't anyone using this manner to connect.Thanks.regards,Aldrick Dont know what version of ASP.NET you are using.  This sample is in 1.1 : http://...

Why use parts of Ado.net when you can use SQL
Just on this line of thought. Why use objects such as DataTable,DataRow,DataColumn when you can use SQL to select and insert data more effectively. I have been creating applications that use sql queries and stored procedures. The other way to do it would be to use ADO.nets objects that help you like DataTable,DataRow, DataColumn. I hardly ever use them at all so are they really worth going into in depth. I prefer SQL to do all my data manipulation.MCAD.Net vb.net Perhaps you should explain how you use sql queries and stored procedures and how you think they're more effective. I f...

Web resources about - Not able to connect to remote sql anywhere using ado.net - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Cruz-Rubio Rivalry Deepens as Both Rise in GOP Race
As they rise together in national polls, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are seeking ways to use each other to break away from the pack and ultimately ...

Amy Poehler Receives Her Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
Amy Poehler sits down next to her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Thursday afternoon (December 3) in Hollywood. The 44-year-old actress ...

Apple TV Is The Latest Step In The Disintermediation Of Media
The trend toward direct connections between video content creators and their audiences is well underway, but the new Apple TV could finally push ...

Oscar Pistorius Verdict Changed To Murder: Will He Get The Maximum?
In a stunning turn of events, former Paralympic and Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been convicted of murdering his then-girlfriend, Reeva ...

Craig Federighi explains motivation behind making Swift open source & what the future holds
Earlier today Apple made good on its promise and released source code for its Swift programming language to the public . To go along with making ...

Helen Mirren Worried Hubby Taylor Hackford Wouldn't Make Love To Her Again After She Played 'The Queen' ...
Helen Mirren rocks a floral dress while attending a special cocktail reception for her latest film Women In Gold held at the House of Elyx on ...

DefSec Carter Announces All Military Combat Roles Will Now Be Open to Women
There are various combat roles that, for years, women have been restricted from fulfilling in the United States military. The 1994 Combat Exclusion ...

Senate Approves Republican Bill Unraveling Health Care Law
(WASHINGTON) — With Republicans openly welcoming a preordained veto, the Senate on Thursday approved legislation aimed at crippling two of their ...

Game Of Thrones Season 6 Trailer Teases Jon Snow’s Destiny But Doesn’t Answer Any Questions
There’s a new Game of Thrones season 6 out today and it isn’t really answering the question that most fans have on their lips: is Jon Snow (Kit ...

Germany to vote on Syria mission
Germany's parliament is to vote on whether the country should provide military support in the fight against Islamic State militants in Syria. ...