Newbie Question - Is SQLANYWHERE the right product for this?

Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track?  I have
a client server app that uses a sybase back end and a
windows app as the client.  I would like to make this a
distributed app that will work weather or not the user is
connected to the net.  Am I correct that the sybase product
that I would use to make this happen is SQLANYWHERE? It
appears from something I saw that it requires NOVELL, is
this correct?
0
mcalister

On 5 Mar 2004 13:23:00 -0800, mcalister wrote:

>Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track?  I have
>a client server app that uses a sybase back end and a
>windows app as the client.  I would like to make this a
>distributed app that will work weather or not the user is
>connected to the net.  Am I correct that the sybase product
>that I would use to make this happen is SQLANYWHERE? It
>appears from something I saw that it requires NOVELL, is
>this correct?

Yes, SQL Anywhere 9 is what you want, to create local databases on
Windows machines that will serve up data even if the machine is off
the net. The MobiLink synchronization server, which comes in the box,
is what you want to send updated data back and forth between these
local (called "remote") databases and the single central (called
"consolidated") database. The remote database must use SQL Anywhere
(also called Adaptive Server Anywhere or ASA). The consolidated
database can be ASA, or Sybase ASE, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2 or
Oracle.

To get started, download the Developer Edition from
http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/sqlany.html

The download is in *two parts*... the documentation is a separate
file, and that's what you need to start.

And, no, Novell is not required :)

Breck

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20

<mcalister> wrote in message news:4048efb4.6ec1.846930886@sybase.com...
> Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track?  I have
> a client server app that uses a sybase back end and a
> windows app as the client.  I would like to make this a
> distributed app that will work weather or not the user is
> connected to the net.  Am I correct that the sybase product
> that I would use to make this happen is SQLANYWHERE? It
> appears from something I saw that it requires NOVELL, is
> this correct?

0
Leo

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Newbie Delphi to SQLAnywhere Questions???
Hello All: I am looking for a good SQL database for a medium size application. I use Delphi for development and would deploy on Windows LANS/WANS. What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ??? Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ??? How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ??? Does SQLAnywhere have an option for deployment in a single user mode ( a few of our clients have only 1 workstation most are 5-50 workstations) ??? What is the best way to get up to speed on learning to use and administrate this product (...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Which SQLAnywhere product
Hi. We installed a SQL Anywhere implementation at a client site a number of years ago and now need to update. In order to upgrade the right products, I need to know what we have out there. I have the registration numbers. Is it possible to find out what products we have from the registration numbers? They are all "SSARAxxxxxxxx" I don't think so. The easiest way will probably be to have your users look at the properties of the relevant files and tell you the build numbers (or write a utility to do this). -- Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Eng...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

question on sqlanywhere upgrade
We are upgrading our database from sqlanywhere 5.5.04 to 7. My front end application is developed in PB 5.0.04. I want to know if we upgrade the database to 7, do I need to do anything to the front end code for it to work, or will it automatically work with the new database without any recompile or any modification? Thanks Ram Please do not crosspost. Please review the ASA7 documentation that outlines the new features and behaviour changes. This should help you identify areas where you may be impacted. /ck <Ram_Ramaswamy> wrote in message news:E7B29DEE7811159A0072848...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

SQLAnywhere Raiserror Questions
We're running PB5.0.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.00 Build #1073 on NT4.0. We're working on some triggers that will detect various runtime errors. We want to return a meaningful message to the client app. We write our exception handlers to invoke Raiserror and it does indeed look up the appropriate message in SYSUSERMESSAGES and the message is returned to the client. But some things aren't working like the manuals says or as we think they should: 1. According to the manual, Raiserror "...displays a message on the engine or server message window." I have yet to see...

Newbie rights question
Hi, I've succesfully created a Virtual Host on my NW65 SP2 server with new directory TEST under sys:\apache2 acting as document root. I'm planning to put web pages there. Normal users do not have any file rights to sys:\apache2 and all subdirs and cannot see it at all. Is this all the security I need to stop anyone being able to edit or erase files within sys:\apache2\test? All users are currently on our own private lan. Regards, Steve Law SLaw wrote: > Hi, > > I've succesfully created a Virtual Host on my NW65 SP2 server with new > d...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

Newbie of newbie questions
Hello, I've got Bugzilla V2.20 installed and it has worked well. A previous developer set it up on my server. For a new developer, how do we enter in a new email address for an "Assignee" and another email address? I recd a "Match Failed" page with this message: "Bugzilla was unable to make any match at all for one or more of the names and/or email addresses you entered on the previous page. Please go back and try other names or email addresses." Thank you, Bob ____________________________________________________________...

sqlAnywhere password recovery question
Hello, We have a customer who does not know any passwords for their sqlanywhere db file. Does anyone know of any good password recovery tools/techniques that are available? Thanks much, Ben Anderson There are none. You can contact technical support who may be able to help subject to provision of evidence of ownership of the database. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 ***************************************************************************** Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try...

Newbie
Hi, I would like to replicate my online DB (a DB housed at my ISP that provides content for my website) with a DB at my home office. I would like to be able to make updates to the content at my home office and also be able to run queries against incoming data without having to log onto the live DB via the internet. Here are my specific questions: 1 Can I make changes to table structure at the local DB and have those changes be replicated to the live DB. 2 My webserver is running NT4.0 and IIS40. What type of messaging system should I use? 3 What kind of resources are we...

Web resources about - Newbie Question - Is SQLANYWHERE the right product for this? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere