Newbie Delphi to SQLAnywhere Questions???

Hello All:

    I am looking for a good SQL database for a medium size application. I
use Delphi for development and would deploy on Windows LANS/WANS.

    What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ???

    Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ???

    How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ???

    Does SQLAnywhere have an option for deployment in a single user mode ( a
few of our clients have only 1 workstation most are 5-50 workstations) ???

    What is the best way to get up to speed on learning to use and
administrate this product ( manuals, tools, etc ) ???

    Thank you.

Neil Huhta

0
Huhtaman

"Huhtaman" <nhuhta@digital.net> wrote in message

>     I am looking for a good SQL database for a medium size application. I
> use Delphi for development and would deploy on Windows LANS/WANS.
>     What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ???

   NativeDB from http://www.nativedb.com . Fast, easy to use and with very
good support. Fully functional trial can be downloaded from their web-site.

>     Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ???

   I think yes, though question looks a bit vague to answer simply.

>     How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ???

   Pretty easy to deploy, and after you had scheduled database backups, no
further administration is required.

>     Does SQLAnywhere have an option for deployment in a single user mode
( a
> few of our clients have only 1 workstation most are 5-50 workstations) ???

   Yes.

>     What is the best way to get up to speed on learning to use and
> administrate this product ( manuals, tools, etc ) ???

   ASA has a very detailed online manual. Try it, ASA trial is available
from Sybase web-site.

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
7/11/2003 5:20:28 AM
>     What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ???

NativeDB, http://www.nativedb.com/. SQL Anywhere also has ODBC, OLEDB, and
..NET interfaces, and there are several other third-party interfaces, some of
which you can read about at http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1010193.

>     Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ???

Yes, they are an excellent combination. SQL Anywhere has a full complement
of features, and fewer quirks than other databases I've used, so developing
with it is fast and rewarding.

>     How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ???

As easy as any database server. It is made expressly for use on systems
without database administrators. The provided administrative tools are good
for developers and whatever the users may need to do.

>     Does SQLAnywhere have an option for deployment in a single user mode
( a
> few of our clients have only 1 workstation most are 5-50 workstations) ???

Yes, the personal server works exactly the same as the network server except
that the personal server does not accept connections from other computers.

>     What is the best way to get up to speed on learning to use and
> administrate this product ( manuals, tools, etc ) ???

Download the trial version and browse the excellent documentation in the
Online Books. After your trial, you can buy an annual developer's
subscription to all languages and platforms of SQL Anywhere for $99 at
http://sdn.sybase.com/.

  Richard

0
Richard
7/11/2003 5:43:40 AM
"Huhtaman" <nhuhta@digital.net> wrote in message
| Hello All:

I *think* I recall you from DBISAM ng<g>

|     I am looking for a good SQL database for a medium size application. I
| use Delphi for development and would deploy on Windows LANS/WANS.

We've just completed a conversion of a very large project from DBISAM to ASA
and are *extremely* happy with the results.  However we are using Asta in
the middle, so no remote db connections are occurring.  But, with our DB
stress test we didn't seem to have enough cpu power to break ASA, whereas we
could break DBISAM with a single one.

|     What is the best way to connect Delphi to SQLAnywhere ???

NativeDB, as Dmitri indicated, seems to work seamlessly.  We haven't had to
look further.

|     Is it efficient/practical to use SQLAnywhere from Delphi ???

YES!

|     How easy is SQLAnywhere to deploy/administrate ???

It has been *very* easy so far for us.  We are just waiting to
understand/workout the licensing issues before converting ALL of our
published apps.

HTH,
-k-

0
Kumar
7/11/2003 6:06:47 AM
http://savcl.narod.ru/en.html
IT'S FREE!!!
SaVcl - library of Delphi VCL components for direct access to Sybase
Anywhere databases. Features: freeware with sources; direct access via
Sybase Anywhere API; no ODBC, ADO, BDE, etc are used; SQL-monitor; dynamic
row fetching; no Sybase Anywhere installation is requaried; multithreading;
correct sorting of the null fields; cached updates; transaction, bookmarks
and data of large size are supported; filters with nested levels of any
depth; extended searching including "find forward", "find backward";
inserting rows into cursors; etc;

Download SaVcl from http://savcl.narod.ru/en.html

Best regards, Serge Gavrilov.
0
Serge_Gavrilov
7/11/2003 6:52:19 AM
Kumar:

    You are right - I am a DBISAM guy. DBISAM is a great little flat file
system  but I need more reliability.

    How is the speed of SQLAnywhere compared to DBISAM ???

    Was it hard for you to move from a table based programming style to a
record set based programming style ???

    We are looking at using KBMem as a middleware piece - have you tried
KBMem - if so - why did you go with ASTA ???

    SQLAnywhere has record level locks - is this optomistic or pessemistic
locking ??? Where can I find out more info on the locking mechanism ???

    Thank you - I am very excited about the prospects I see with
SQLAnywhere.

Neil Huhta

0
Huhtaman
7/11/2003 10:28:46 AM
Richard:

    Thank you for answering my questions - I appreciate your time and
effort.

    We use alot of Boolean fields in our code for configuration and attach
them to checkboxes. Since SQLAnywhere does not have a boolean field - how do
you handle this kind of situation ???

    Scalability - will SQLAnywhere handle an installation with 100
concurrent users doing moderate activity on the Database ???

Thanks

Neil Huhta

0
Huhtaman
7/11/2003 10:46:00 AM
>     SQLAnywhere has record level locks - is this optomistic or pessemistic
> locking ??? Where can I find out more info on the locking mechanism ???

Locking is part of the larger subject of concurrency. You would probably
want to read the ASA SQL User's Guide, chap. 4, Using Transactions and
Isolation Levels, in the Online Books.

  Richard

0
Richard
7/11/2003 11:06:10 AM
Use Sybase Anywhere datatype "bit". And use SaVcl for access to Sybase
Anywhere within Delphi application. SaVcl interpret "bit" datatype as
boolean.
SaVcl can be downloaded from http://savcl.narod.ru/en.html

Best regards, Serge Gavrilov.
0
Serge_Gavrilov
7/11/2003 11:51:02 AM
>     We use alot of Boolean fields in our code for configuration and attach
> them to checkboxes. Since SQLAnywhere does not have a boolean field - how
do
> you handle this kind of situation ???

As Serge described SaVcl, that is also how NativeDB works: the Bit type is
translated by the middleware to Delphi's Boolean type. You SQL queries will
need to use 0 instead of False and 1 instead of True, but the data-aware
checkbox components just see False or True.

>     Scalability - will SQLAnywhere handle an installation with 100
> concurrent users doing moderate activity on the Database ???

I don't have any installations that large, but I have read of others with
hundreds of users. The upcoming version 9 has performance enhancements that
will make it even better for large installations. One of the bullet points
from the press release at
http://www.ianywhere.com/press_releases/sqlany_9.html: "Advanced cache
management system improves concurrency and scalability for environments with
hundreds of simultaneous users."

  Richard

0
Richard
7/11/2003 4:57:12 PM
"Huhtaman" <nhuhta@digital.net> wrote in message

|     How is the speed of SQLAnywhere compared to DBISAM ???

The difference becomes most apparent in large, complicated queries with
multiple joins.... and ASA is significantly faster.

|     Was it hard for you to move from a table based programming style to a
| record set based programming style ???

We were already using sql with DBISAM, so I can't really address that q.
head on.  However,  I think that the move should be easy and that you'll
find coding much easier in the end.

|     We are looking at using KBMem as a middleware piece - have you tried
| KBMem - if so - why did you go with ASTA ???

No, we haven't tried it.  It was still in beta when we went with Asta.  Asta
has a very large user base.  I'm sure KBM is a great product... but so was
the beta vcr format<g>

|     SQLAnywhere has record level locks - is this optomistic or pessemistic
| locking ??? Where can I find out more info on the locking mechanism ???

Richard address this one below.  ASA gives you many other options than just
"optimistic" and "pessimistic".

HTH,
-k-

0
Kumar
7/11/2003 6:59:29 PM
We use VarChar(1) fields for booleans..

With the Delphi TDbCheckBox, specify 'Y' as the ValueChecked property, 'N'
as the ValueUnChecked property.. Then write a few functions like
StringToBool and BoolToString, in Delphi or ASA or both, you're good to go..

0
Robert

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Newbie Question
Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track? I have a client server app that uses a sybase back end and a windows app as the client. I would like to make this a distributed app that will work weather or not the user is connected to the net. Am I correct that the sybase product that I would use to make this happen is SQLANYWHERE? It appears from something I saw that it requires NOVELL, is this correct? On 5 Mar 2004 13:23:00 -0800, mcalister wrote: >Can anyone please tell me if I'm on the right track? I have >a client server app that uses a sybase back end...

Delphi and SQLanywhere

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

question on sqlanywhere upgrade
We are upgrading our database from sqlanywhere 5.5.04 to 7. My front end application is developed in PB 5.0.04. I want to know if we upgrade the database to 7, do I need to do anything to the front end code for it to work, or will it automatically work with the new database without any recompile or any modification? Thanks Ram Please do not crosspost. Please review the ASA7 documentation that outlines the new features and behaviour changes. This should help you identify areas where you may be impacted. /ck <Ram_Ramaswamy> wrote in message news:E7B29DEE7811159A0072848...

SQLAnywhere & Delphi
Hi. I have some questions about this product. (SQLAnywhere) 1) I mainly use W95 peer to peer, W95 standalone and W95 Client with Novell Server. Is SQLA really fast and stable is these configurations? 2) If I buy SQLA; Do I need to buy another interface product or I can use directly from Delphi 3? 3) Can I use SQLA with Delphi 1 (16 bits)? 4) How about the price scheme? Is there any kind of developer product or my clients need to buy a copy of SQLA? ( I'am a independent developer) Thanx in advance Hugo <hrm@peru.itete.com.pe> ...

Authenticate SQLAnywhere in Delphi?
I have the authenticated version of SQL Anywhere. All of the examples of how to build an application capable of running with the authenticated database engine are in C. How do I do this in Delphi? Does anyone have any actual code examples? - Ron ...

Delphi 2010 and SqlAnywhere
Has anybody been able to make a connection with Delphi 2010 to Sql Anywhere either V9 or V10. A simple application that connects just fine in Delphi 2007 returns the following error message: "Could not find metdata:TDBXSybaseASAMetaDataFactory; package: DbxReadOnlyMetaData100.bpl. Add DbxDynaLink to your uses clause" Of couse, DbDynaLink is already part of the uses clause. DbxReadOnlyMetaData100.bpl is in C:\Windows\System32 This is on a Windows 7 machine running both Delphi 2007 and Delphi 2010. Both are Professional versions. The product documentation said something abo...

SQLAnywhere Raiserror Questions
We're running PB5.0.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.00 Build #1073 on NT4.0. We're working on some triggers that will detect various runtime errors. We want to return a meaningful message to the client app. We write our exception handlers to invoke Raiserror and it does indeed look up the appropriate message in SYSUSERMESSAGES and the message is returned to the client. But some things aren't working like the manuals says or as we think they should: 1. According to the manual, Raiserror "...displays a message on the engine or server message window." I have yet to see...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

Newbie of newbie questions
Hello, I've got Bugzilla V2.20 installed and it has worked well. A previous developer set it up on my server. For a new developer, how do we enter in a new email address for an "Assignee" and another email address? I recd a "Match Failed" page with this message: "Bugzilla was unable to make any match at all for one or more of the names and/or email addresses you entered on the previous page. Please go back and try other names or email addresses." Thank you, Bob ____________________________________________________________...

Web resources about - Newbie Delphi to SQLAnywhere Questions??? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Kanye West trolled with mundane questions after requesting down time on Twitter
Kanye West has been inundated with fans asking mundane questions after he asked he followers to leave him alone so he can work on his new album. ...

Mother of Mildura toddler found dead in roof to face questions about previous family violence
Mother of dead toddler to be asked about any family violence that previously occurred in her home.

Question of the Day: Worst automotive regulatory workaround?
Filed under: Automotive History Jacking up the entire car to meet headlight-height laws, adding sketchy plastic seats to a pickup bed to skirt ...

Excellent Question from an Awful Candidate
Cholly Pierce notes that tribble-topped presidential aspirant Rand Paul actually asked an important question during last night’s GOP debate shit-show: ...

The Paris climate conundrum — three facts and a question, by @Gaius_Publius
The Paris climate conundrum — three facts and a question by Gaius Publius He's been to London and to Gay Paree. A fine live performance ( source ...

Chris Matthews Really Doesn’t Like Questions About His Leg
Politics can be so exhausting. Sometimes you just need to have a little fun. And all of us, no matter where we fall on the sociopolitical spectrum, ...

The question remains: Would Bush support a 'Trump for president' ticket?
Donald Trump vowed to forego a third-party run and stick with the GOP during last night’s debate, but we still don't know whether the other candidates ...

Tom Brady Leaves Press Conference After Two Questions About His Friendship With Donald Trump
This morning’s cover of the New York Daily New s features the headline “BRADY HAS NO BALLS” over a picture of New England Patriots quarterback ...

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Cast Fields Your Fan Questions
ET got the cast to answer a few of your fan questions at the premiere.