How to lock the database for any user access during database update

Hello,

I want to make significant changes to my database. During the time of the
updates I want to be sure that no user can log on to the database.

Does anybody know how I can achieve this ?

Best regards
Ulrich Reinbeck

Avista Software / Germany
reinbeck@avista-erp.com

0
Ulrich

Shut down the database server, start up the database on the stand alone
engine and make the modifications on your local machine.  Only your local
machine will be able to connect to the database when you start the database
on the standalone engine.

--
Reg Domaratzki
Sybase iAnywhere Solutions

ASA EBFs and Whitepapers
http://www.sybase.com/products/mobilewireless/anywhere/

"Ulrich Reinbeck" <Reinbeck@sys-des.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I want to make significant changes to my database. During the time of the
> updates I want to be sure that no user can log on to the database.
>
> Does anybody know how I can achieve this ?
>
> Best regards
> Ulrich Reinbeck
>
> Avista Software / Germany
> reinbeck@avista-erp.com

0
Reg
8/15/2000 2:27:21 PM
Alternatively, if you are using ASA 6.0.3 or later, you can connect and
run the following procedure:
sa_server_option( 'disable_connections', 'ON' );
This disables any further connections to the server.  You can then
disconnect anyone who is connected and make your schema changes.
Call sa_server_option( 'disable_connections', 'OFF' );
when you are finished to re-enable connections.

Jason Hinsperger
Product Quality
Adaptive Server Anywhere

Reg Domaratzki wrote:

> Shut down the database server, start up the database on the stand alone
> engine and make the modifications on your local machine.  Only your local
> machine will be able to connect to the database when you start the database
> on the standalone engine.
>
> --
> Reg Domaratzki
> Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> Please reply only to the newsgroup
>
> ASA EBFs and Whitepapers
> http://www.sybase.com/products/mobilewireless/anywhere/
>
> "Ulrich Reinbeck" <Reinbeck@sys-des.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to make significant changes to my database. During the time of the
> > updates I want to be sure that no user can log on to the database.
> >
> > Does anybody know how I can achieve this ?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Ulrich Reinbeck
> >
> > Avista Software / Germany
> > reinbeck@avista-erp.com

0
Jason

How can I update a SQL database with an Access database
I need to update an SQL database with an access database that is built on queries.  I need to do this nightly.   Can someone explain how to write the query for this and then I could add it to my nightly maintenance.   Thank you DeeDarlene D. Murphydeemurphy_us@yahoo.com you can reference your Sql Database through Access either with linked tables or ADO.  As long as you have update rights on the Sql Tables, you can use your Access queries to update the Sql tables.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answ...

updating Sql database from linked Access database
I got thrown into a new project that is going to require me to update an SQL server database tables from an Access table on the backend of an Oracle database on another server. At the end of each day the Access dabase will be updated from the Oracle database. What I need to do, is when the Access database is updated I need to have the table in the SQL database automaticaly updated. When a new record is added to the Access table I need the new record added to the SQL table. When a record is deleted in the Access table I need to keep that record in the SQL table and set a field to a value (...

how to access other database in this database ?

using access, cannot update the database, just can show the data from database
i confirmed that the database file is closed, i tried to add a statement conn.Close() before conn.Open(), but i get the same error, waht's wrong with my program..... please help!!  Server Error in '/book' Application. 無法使用 '' ; 檔案已在使用中。 Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: 無法使用 '' ; 檔案已在使用中。Source Error: Line 58: str2 = "Provider=Microsof...

Authorizing an authenticated User to update Access database
I have a simple Access database residing in the App_Data folder to hold basic site admin data (page hits, Last_Update date etc). I have a simple Login page for a single Admin user (me) to log in to a Secret.aspx page to display the table data for edits. This page is located in an Admin_Files folder which contains a separate Web.config file with standard deny users="?" authorization. The root Web.config has Authenticate Mode Forms and credentials for one Admin user.  All this is standard and works fine on my local network server. I can sign in, view and edit/add records because I am...

User Database and Content Database
 Hi, I'm buuilding a website in ASP.NET 2.0 VB and plan to have some content stored in a database as well as using .NET's built-in user stuff.  I have two databases on my hosting package, so I have enough.  I was wondering if I should leave one for the user information, which is automatially created, and the other for my content, or to add more tables to the user DB and have everything running off that one. What would be best, please?  Thanks!  It depends whether you're going to use some foreign keys to the user roles tables. If this is your c...

Single user access on MS Access database
We just transitioned our DATA volume from a Netware traditional volume to a iSCSI connected NSS volume on a NetApp Filer FAS 270. Netware 6.5 Since the move we've noticed a MS Access database issue arise. When the database is opened by the next user they receice the error message: "MSysAccessObjects can not be opened it is currently opened by another user" This is an Access file table not a custom table. Is it a Oplocks and/or File Caching issue on the server? If so, where can I tuen that off? Does anyone know of any issues regarding MS Access and NSS volu...

After a user has entered his registration info I want to add him to my database. Is there a specific control which can handle the update/insert of data from a form into a database?
After a user has entered his registration info I want to add him to my database and also validate whether his name/e-mail is already registered. Is there a specific control which can handle the update/insert of data from a form into a database?If not, how can I add someone? Basically what im asking is how can I add a new user using the best method (best functionality) of the .NET framework. So validate duplicates AND add this user. ;)please mark answers as 'Answered' and post back solutions when you figure stuff out that isnt in the post already. Hi, you could use this sample as a...

Problem, my reporting services reports are locking & blocking out my users from accessing .mdf database files
Hi, iam running sql sever 2005 express edition with advanced services, visual web developer 2005 express and .net 2.0. I have reporting services installed and looks like configured properly and its running but the trouble is that when i run a report that retireves data from .mdf file, then users of my asp.net application will have to wait for close to 30 minutes before they can be able to insert or retrieve data from that same .mdf file that the report sever accessed. If you try to insert or retrieve a record from this .mdf database file immediately after running a report, you get an error...

How to update data from this Database to orther Database ?
  Please help me How to update data from this Database to orther Database ? Thank As long as the databases are on the same server, just prefix the table names with the database, example use database2 go  insert into database1..abc select * from xyz go Note the 2 periods between the database name adn the table name, this is where the owner would otherwise go, probably dbo in a production environment.  You can leave it empty (ie, just 2 dots) if it's dbo. If the databases are on the different servers there is another solution but performance will be dramatically w...

I have two schema in user database, How can i dump the user database schema name?
Respected, gurus I'm working on ASE 15.0.2 DB. I have two separate user schema in my ACUTE database 1. EASY_BANK :It store normal master and treansaction table 2. EASY_BANK_LOB :It store images and photos when i dump the acute database then dump file contain all the object(two schema easy_bank and easy_bank_lob) in the acute database My problem : I want to dump the ACUTE db which is contain object resides only in EASY_BANK_LOB. I also want to dump the ACUTE db which is contain object resides only in EASY_BANK. same way , can i restore the data which is onl...

Accessing Second Database from First Database
We are planning to store images as BLOBS in secondary database. Is it possible to access the tables defined in secondary database from primary database by means by view and/or trigger? On 30 Mar 2005 13:35:23 -0800, Ashish Gupta wrote: >We are planning to store images as BLOBS in secondary >database. Is it possible to access the tables defined in >secondary database from primary database by means by view >and/or trigger? You can use proxy tables. Why do you want to separate the images into a different database? Breck -- SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's ...

Failed to update database because the database is read-only
hi i am currently testing my website on IIS7, and first error is that: Server Error in '/' Application. Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read...

Failed to update database because the database is read-only.
 HelloI have just installed IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 (second time)I have a website witch worked perfectly, but now when i am trying to execute an sql command i get the folowing errorFailed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only. Linha 185:Linha 186: conn.Open();Linha 187: reader = comm.ExecuteReader();Linha 188: reader.Close();Linha 189: comm.Connection.Close(); What is wrong? ho...