error -83 using PB.6.0 and sqlanywhere 5.5.03

Hi,

I have a SQL Anywhere server database sitting on a dedicated NT Server. I
run the application from my client and  I connect to the server database
without any problems. However, a second developer attempts to run the
application from his workstation and tries to connect to the same database
the following messsage is received:

-83
 SQLSTATE = 08001
 [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Unable to connect to database server: specified
database not found

I can connect many processes to the same database from a single workstation,
but the moment I try and connect from another workstation at the same time
the above error occurs. The same error is received when trying to connect to
the same database, when the apllication is already running.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Kind Regards

P. Scheibel-Lang

i&k systeme GmbH

0
Petra

I have already posted a response to your post in the PB newsgroup.

I suspect that your connection that is failing is using DBENG50.EXE to
connect to a database file that is already running. You need to use the
NETWORK server to host the database. Client connections need to use
DBCLIENT.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

*

"Petra Scheibel-Lang" <petra.scheibel-lang@iuk-systeme.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I have a SQL Anywhere server database sitting on a dedicated NT Server. I
> run the application from my client and  I connect to the server database
> without any problems. However, a second developer attempts to run the
> application from his workstation and tries to connect to the same database
> the following messsage is received:
>
> -83
>  SQLSTATE = 08001
>  [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Unable to connect to database server: specified
> database not found
>

> I can connect many processes to the same database from a single
workstation,
> but the moment I try and connect from another workstation at the same time
> the above error occurs. The same error is received when trying to connect
> the same database, when the apllication is already running.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Kind Regards
>
> P. Scheibel-Lang
>
> i&k systeme GmbH

0
Chris

PB 5.0 cursor fetch error using MS SQL Server 6.5 (Service Pack 5)
We have PB5.0.02 and are upgrading to PB5.0.04 for Y2K compliance. Both are 16 bit. We have been using MS SQL Server 6.50.201 (the original release). Everything has been fine. We have just put MS SQL Server 6.50.415 (Service Pack 5) on a test server for Y2K compliance and are getting cursor fetch errors using either version of PB5.0. The error is 10037 "unexpected EOF from SQL Server." In looking at the SQL error log we see an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error message involving sp_cursorfetch. Does this rings any bells with anyone? Is there an upgraded dll (or dlls) ...

Error on Set Trans Object with PB 6.0 + SQLAnywhere 5.0
I want to select 1 of 5 data tables to read so I use code to set the DataWindow DataObject to the data object I want to use. This works fine for 2 of the 5, but on 3 of them I get an error on the Set Trans Object command. Can anyone give me an idea on what is wrong? Thanks. riley Hi Riley Compile your application to pbd or use resource file (pbr) for those datawindows that are assigned dynamically. Regards Riley : > I want to select 1 of 5 data tables to read so I use code to > set the DataWindow DataObject to the data object I want to > use. > This works fine f...

PB 5.0 (16 bit) cursor fetch error using MS SQL Server 6.5 (Service Pack 5)
We have PB5.0.02 and are upgrading to PB5.0.04 for Y2K compliance. Both are 16 bit. We have been using MS SQL Server 6.50.201 (the original release). Everything has been fine. We have just put MS SQL Server 6.50.415 (Service Pack 5) on a test server for Y2K compliance and are getting cursor fetch errors using either version of PB5.0. The error is 10037 "unexpected EOF from SQL Server." In looking at the SQL error log we see an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error message involving sp_cursorfetch. Does this rings any bells with anyone? Is there an upgraded dll (or dlls) ...

Are you using PB 5.0.03 version of PBODB050.DLL with PB 5.0.04??
PB 5.0.04 applications connected to SQL Anywhere 5.5 will GPF on disconnect when ODBC 3.5 or greater is installed. I believe this may only happen for win95 as opposed NT/98. Replacing PBODB050.DLL with the PB 5.0.03 version has been a common 'folk remedy'. We have just discovered a problematic side-effect: If instead of connecting to SA 5.5, you connect to SA 7, and your PB application uses datawindows which retrieve through calls to Stored Procedures, then such a retrieve produces a database error: Select error: SQLSTATE = S1009 [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Invalid use o...

User Error Messages within PB5.0.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.03
I would like to know how to trigger a User Exception and display that error message within PB. I have created a user error message with sp_addmessage with a ID of 20000. I have created a dummy table with 2 columns: field 1 - autoincrement; field 2 - char(10). I created a pre-insert trigger that simply had one line - raiserror 20000. This does not seem to work. What is happening is the insert is still occurring (ie NO error is reported). So could someone please help. Thanks. I use this all the time, and it works fine. You might wan to post the trigger defn so we can get ...

SQLAnywhere INNER JOINS Differ from 5.0.03 to 5.5.04?????
I have the following query in SqlAnywhere: SELECT ( IF sn.IsMainName = '1' THEN sn.ShFullName ELSE left( String( sn.ShFullName, ' (', sh.ShFullName, ')'), 40) ENDIF ) AS ShFullName, c.ClntChrtID, c.ClntActvtyStatus AS _, Sh.PrsnDob, Sh.PrsnSex, Sh.ShId, Sh.Status, a.shPhone1, a.shAddrss1, a.shAddrss2, a.shCity FROM ShName sn JOIN Sh ON sn.ShId = sh.ShId JOIN Clnt c on c.ClntShId = sh.ShId LEFT OUTER JOIN ShAddrss a ON c.ClntShId = a.ShId AND a.OwnrHwSiteId = c.OwnrHwSiteId WHERE Sh.Statu...

GPF in of_getitemany using PB 5.0.03/PFC 5.0.03 with 32 bit exe's
Hello all, I have just spent the day tracing a GPF right down into PFC, and I have found a problem which I cannot resolve. Basically, on insert of a row into a child DW, of_getitemany is called as part of the required column service (which is called from the itemerror service). of_getitemany (al_row, as_column) is called on the newly inserted row for a decimal column This function then calls of_GetItemany ( al_row, as_column, Primary!, FALSE ) getitemdecimal is then called on the datawindow and returns null I have placed a beep statement before the return statement at th...

Problems migrating from PB 5.0.03 to PB 6.5
I am having problems running the my application after migrating it to PB 6.5. The application was migrated successfully. Then, I added all the new PFC objects and PBLs as per the guidelines provided by Sybase. The full rebuild was also successful except for a few warnings about instance variables of local structure type being implicit in the next release. However, when I start up the application and try to open any screen having datawindows, it crashes with Dr. Watson's error. Did anybody have a similar experience? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. T...

SQLANY50 error after upgraded from PB 5.0 to PB 6.5
Hello, I upgraded my application which use SQLANY50+WIN98 from PB 5.0 to PB 6.5. Everything was ok in the PB 6.5 IDE. But when I compiled it to EXE and ran it on the same PC, the following error message appeared: "999: DBMS ODBC SQL ANYWHERE 5.0 is not supported in your current installation". and, the EXE of PB5.0 runs ok. How to do? Thanks. Dong Zuming This is likely a pathing issue. There's a faxline document available at support.sybase.com entitled 'Resolving DBMS xxx is not supported..." that should help you out. Jim O'Neil Syb...

PB 5.0.03 and PB 5.0.04
Hi. Do I need to install PB 5.0.03 and after PB 5.0.04 or I can just install PB 5.0.04 ? You can just install 5.0.04. Make a backup of your pbls prior to installing 5.0.04 in case you need to revert back to the current version. hth, Anthony M. Perugini President Forte Information Systems, Inc. www.ConsultForte.com Having a Bad Day? www.ConsultForte.com/Disgruntled.htm Kleber Pimentel Koti wrote in message ... >Hi. >Do I need to install PB 5.0.03 and after PB 5.0.04 or I can just install PB >5.0.04 ? > > ...

PB 6.5.1 + Y2K Patch Regression Bug (was SQLAnywhere 5.5 Column Not Taking Integer)
After looking deeper into my problems (see 'SQLAnywhere 5.5 Column Not Taking Integer), I contacted tech support this morning. The bug affects not only UPDATE statements with a WHERE clause, but actually _all_ static SQL statements that have a where clause involving a comparison to a variable. This has been repeated with the AdaptSrvAny 6.0 backend. My system and the ASA system at Sybase are both using the _ODBC_ driver, so this appears to be the early culprit. This problem is verified as non-existant on initial PB 6.5 build. Obviously, this bug has occurred somewhere betwe...

Is it possible to take a PB 6.5 window and make it work in PB 5.0.03?
I have a response window that was created using PB 6.5 and would like to deploy this window in a PB 5.0.03 environment ... it is not a pfc window .... is there any way to (maybe export it?) make this window work with a PB 5.0 application (i have both PB 6.5 and PB 5.0 on my machine. In article <367140B2.6E37@mayo.edu>, ttheisen@mayo.edu says... > >I have a response window that was created using PB 6.5 and would like to >deploy this window in a PB 5.0.03 environment ... it is not a pfc window >... is there any way to (maybe export it?) make this window work with a &g...

Can PB 5.0, 6.0, and 6.5 Coexist
I currently support a couple of PB5.0 applications and I am looking to upgrade them to PB 6 or 6.5. I read the 6.5 documentation that said you need to remove all previous versions of PB before installing. I would like to have 5.0 and 6.0 or 6.5 coexist so that I can still support the old application while I work the 6.5 to learn and study the upgrade. So, can they co-exist and what problems might I run into? Thanks , Doug I have PB5 16-bit, (5.03), PB5 32-bit (PB5.04), PB6.5 and PB7 on the same machine - They live in different worlds. Make sure you keep backups of code and main...

ASA6 or SQLAnywhere 5.5 on Netware 5.0?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------E6256398D09B1293B9B2E246 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Does anyone know if either ASA6.0 or SQLAnywhere 5.5x will run on Netware 5.0? I've asked Sybase several times (in the past 3 month period) and I still haven't received an answer. TIA, Bernard Mikowski --------------E6256398D09B1293B9B2E246 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Bernard Mikowski Content-Di...

Web resources about - error -83 using PB.6.0 and sqlanywhere 5.5.03 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere