DNS name or IP Address of Server with something like db_property

how does one get the DNS name or IP address of the server where the SP is
running ... using ASA 9.02

0
Robert

Look at server properties in the online help. You access server
properties with the property() system function. you will want the 'Node'
property value

    i.e.,	property('NodeAddress	')

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

Chris
3/13/2007 2:19:47 PM
Alas, PROPERTY ( 'NodeAddress' ) does not exist.

It is difficult to obtain *either* IP address: server or client. The
only way to find the server address (that I have uncovered) is to use
dbping and capture the output; this is what Foxhound does in the
"Facts & Figures" section:

dbping connect string: UID=dba; PWD=********; DBN=xxx; ENG=xxx;
ASTOP=NO; DSN=PRODUCTION_RROAD_COM; LINKS=TCPIP{host=xxx.COM;
port=49152; DOBROAD=NONE}; ASTART=NO; COMP=NO

dbping result:  Connected to server over TCPIP at address
123.123.123.118:49152

IMO if dbping can report the server IP, there should also be a
PROPERTY or CONNECTION_PROPERTY ( 'ServerAddress' ), *ESPECIALLY*
since CONNECTION_PROPERTY ( 'ServerPort' ) does exist.

And no, AFAIK dbping is not part of dbtools so no joy there, even if
you were willing to write a (kak) external C dll.

As far as client IP address (which you didn't ask about),
CONNECTION_PROPERTY ( 'NodeAddress' ) sometimes works, if you're on a
simple LAN:

CONNECTION_PROPERTY('NodeAddress')
'192.168.1.105'

But if you have a steenking router on a WAN or the Internet, you may
see the IP address of the router instead... because that is the
"client" as far as the server is considered. Foxhound makes an effort
to backtrace but will just skip over external client IP address and
give the router address and the client localhost address if the
Foxhound engine is running locally:

Client address backtrace:  192.168.1.1, 127.0.0.1

Breck

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

Managed server list in NRM using DNS name instead of IP address
Hi all. When I go into NRM and go to the bottom link and click on managed server list it brings all of my servers up just fine. However as I move the mouse across the server names I see the DNS name instead of the IP so when I click on the applicable server it goes to page can not be found. If I enter the IP address manually everything is OK. My question is where can I go to change the link from using the DNS name to the IP. Example: dmznoell.com is what it shows when it should show http://192.168.60.5 thanks Mark, It appears that in the past few days you have not rec...

DNS name switching between Primary IP Address and Secondary Ip
I am running three Novell SBS 6.0 servers with our main server running internal DNS and DHCP. I have assigned an internal domain name to an IP address (192.xxx.xxx.22) bound to an internal server with only one net card. I have assigned a secondary IP address (192.xxx.xxx.23)to that same net card. The internal domain name "abc.mydomain.com" can be pinged at the secondary ip address at some work stations and the primary ip address at the others. What could be causing this to happen? I want the primary address to be pinged at all times. Just wondering, Ken@...

Procedure to Move Groupwise server to another server with the same name and IP address.
Can someone verify and identify pitfalls with these steps: 1. Remove directory from source server and unplug from the network 2. Remove drive containing the volume where the domain and post offices are located. There is only one volume called MAIL3 on the drive. 3. Install this drive in the new server with identical name AND IP address 4. Using the volume copy utility, copy the volume from the old drive to a new RAID set. The new volume will retain the old name. The old volume's name will be changed to volume_old 5. Install the new server into the existing NDS tree. 6. In...

NW65sp7 Server Install Hangs at Server name & ip address
Im installing on new hp ml350G5 and everytime it hangs after i enter the server name... sometimes eventually comes back to ask for ip address, but never gets further than that.. any ideas please Ash -- ashghai ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ashghai, > Im installing on new hp ml350G5 and everytime it hangs after i enter the > server name... sometimes eventually comes back to ask for ip address, > but never gets further than that.. any ideas please > Try unplugging the network cable. - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop) ...

iMan 272 Login works with ip address or DNS Name not with Tree Name
I believe this error message has a long history. I am hoping to get lucky and be graced with a technical explanation (i.e. detail) as to the cause, from someone who knows the reasons why.... The message appears in the error log of our iManager 272 Servers (Hosted on NW6.5 Sp8 eDir 88. NW 6.5 SP8 was installed on eDir 88 so we are at eDir 88SP4). The text of the message also appears to the initiator of the failed authentication attempt aka user on the iManager browser login window. 09/03/09 [08:15:17.141] DirAuthenticator...1099 Login failed. The required dependencies were...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

DNS Server IP Address
--____TUKOQAVOJTLXGAWRETXR____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How does the DNS/DHCP Management console populate the DNS Server IP = Address field? Our server appears to be populating the information from = our Secondary IP Addresses we've bound to the server. We have the proper = DNS servers placed in the /ETC/RESOLV.CFG file, but the information is = completely different in the DNS/DHCP Management Console. Also, how do we = go about getting the correct information in this field? --____TUKOQAVOJTLXGAWRETXR____ Co...

DNS Server IP Address #2
Hello, I am setting up a DNS/DHCP server on a Netware 6.5 cluster. I have not done this before and am having a problem which im hoping someone can help me with. At the moment i am just trying to setup DNS, not DHCP. Basically, ive followed Novells instructions and created a volume and virtual server with IP address, then created the DNS Server object and associated it to the virtual server. The problem im am having is that the DNS server does not have an IP address associated with it. I was under the assumption that the DNS server would then take the IP address that is asso...

Update IP Address in DNS Server
Hi I have been asked to update three IP addresses in DNS Server, How do I do that? Regards Emkay > I have been asked to update three IP addresses in DNS Server, How do > I do that? Using the DNSDHCP admin utility - -Highlight the DNS name you need to change and click on the create button. -and an IP address A record for that pointing to the new IP. -Delete the old IP Repeat for the other changes. -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still forever ...

ENGINE name with something like db_property
db_property('NAME') returns asa db name, how does one get the ASA Engine Name ? This is inside a SP using ASA 9.02 "Robert" <robert@_No_Spam.Com> wrote: > db_property('NAME') returns asa db name, how does one get the ASA Engine > Name ? This is inside a SP using ASA 9.02 select @@servername Dmitri. The server name can also be obtained using: property ( 'name' ) Dmitri wrote: > "Robert" <robert@_No_Spam.Com> wrote: > >> db_property('NAME') returns asa db name, how does one get...

Configure all DNS names with IP Address
Hello, I�m using NW6 SP3. I try to install all DNS names with IP Adress. At the main portal appear link to all the services, iManager, iPrint, Remote Manager, NetStorage, Web Search, with this link (ex i Manager): http://srv1:2200/eMFrame/iManager.html i want define: http://192.168.2.1/eMFrame/iManager.html. etc/host have this entry: 192.168.2.1 srv1 etc/hostname have this entry 192.168.2.1 I don�t need enable DNS service. At the install process, it�s possible configure only IP Option? Post Installation i suppose need modify adminserv.conf and httpd.con...

Secondary IP address on DNS server
Hi, We recently moved over to Netware DNS. In order to catch any devices that still point to the old dns servers (now switched off) we bound that old dns server's IP address to the new Netware server and found that any workstations still pointing to that address were able to resolve hostnames and perform nslookups. I'm not quite clear on what if anything I had to do to get this working, except to reload named. We recently upgraded to NW6.5 SP1, and now we find this secondary ip address function isn't working. If I configure any workstation (NT 4) to use this secondary ...

How to get IP address or name of the server?
I need to get the IP address or name of the server that runs my asp.net application. Which class, method should I use? Thanks! Try this: Request.ServerVariables["SERVER_NAME"]Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! Thank you very much. I tried "SERVER_NAME", but it gives me more info than I need. I used Request.ServerVariables["HTTP_HOST"] instead. ...

Changing server name and IP address
Would like to know the best route to go in changing the server name and IP address on a SLES 10sp2 with OES2sp1. -- lcpsmark ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ugh. Changing the IP you can use the script 'How to change the IP address on an OES 2 Linux server' (http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=7002007&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=46974614&stateId=1%200%2046972974) (you may have other services installed that may not be aware of these changes ...

Web resources about - DNS name or IP Address of Server with something like db_property - sybase.sqlanywhere.general