dbclient - connecting to sqlanywhere using ipx

Can anyone give suggestions on command line switches, etc..?

I am trying to connect to a sqlanywhere database that is housed on a
netware server.  The connection is going over a WAN (through a router).  I
am using the "-x ipx".  However the client is not finding the database
server.  I am able to log in to the netware server and look at the database
file from the client machine.  I am also able to connect to the server from
a client machine that is located on the same segment of the WAN that the
server is on.

Any suggestions or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Stiles
0
David

I have had very little luck connecting using IPX over a WAN.  I didn't have
much time to mess with it so I took the easy way out and used TCP/IP.
There are connection parameters that you should look at that may help get
you going.  The first one to look at is:

- IPX{HOST=ipx address}  See "HOST parameter (synonym IP)" in online help.
Use the -Z parameter on the host to get the IPX address.

For others, see "Network communications parameters" in the online help.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC

This will give you a log file with a specific error message.

//Peter

0
Peter
3/30/1998 12:52:45 PM
David Stiles wrote:

> Can anyone give suggestions on command line switches, etc..?
>
> I am trying to connect to a sqlanywhere database that is housed on a
> netware server.  The connection is going over a WAN (through a
> router).  I
> am using the "-x ipx".  However the client is not finding the database
>
> server.  I am able to log in to the netware server and look at the
> database
> file from the client machine.  I am also able to connect to the server
> from
> a client machine that is located on the same segment of the WAN that
> the
> server is on.
>
> Any suggestions or clues would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dave Stiles

   Assuming that you have already specified the correct engine name that
you want to connect to, I would say that your problem may lie in the way
your router is configured.  Make sure it is properly forwarding packets
to and from your engine.  We're running several engines over a frame
relay network, and our routers had to be set up properly so that db
packets would reach their destination.

Bernard Mikowski
BMikowski@mesgroup.com

0
Bernard

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

Connnecting to SqlAnywhere on UNIX using ODBC?
Hi, I am using Sybase SQLAnywhere for UNIX and I am trying to solve the problem of connecting to SQLAnywhere database using the DSN. The behavior I am experiencing so far is that when I use SQLConnect(), the ODBC driver actually disregards the value that I am passing as a DSN, and it connects to the running db engine. About the .odbc.ini file: I created one following the syntax of the odbc.ini file on Windows, but it seems to me that the driver never makes use of it. I might be wrong, but there is no documentation or paper I can refer to. Because of the ODBC Administrator availab...

Getting SQLAnywhere to use the matching Index
While doing some normalizing, I ran into a problem getting SA to use an INDEX that I set up for it. Example: TABLE: Prod_Inf !Production Information Table (1300 rows) COLUMN: PIF_ID INTEGER ! Primary Key COLUMN: PartNum VARCHAR(15) INDEX: Key_PIF_PIF_ID UNIQUE, COLUMNS: PIF_ID INDEX: Key_PIF_PartNum UNIQUE, COLUMNS: PartNum CONSTRAINT: UNIQUE, COLUMNS: PartNum TABLE: InspDHst !Inspection Data History Table (269,000 rows) COLUMN: IDH_ID INTEGER ! Primary Key COLUMN: PIF_ID IN...

SQLAnywhere 5 on NT, refuses to use DB
We have installed SQLAnywhere 5 on our NT server. After the install, we copied a database to the server, created a service in the Service Manager, and got the database up and running across the network first time. The problem is that the data base is large because of old (I am assuming transaction) data. We recently cleared all the application tables of data to begin entering real data instead of the test data that was present before. The problem is that this clearing actually increased the soce of the DB by 5MB. This is not entirely surprising, I'm assuming there is a lot of...

Best filesystem to use for SQLAnywhere V11.01
Hi, We are about to transfer our DB from Netware to SusE Enterprise and would like to know if there is a preferred filesystem to use with SQLA V11.01. Thanks, Etienne. I don't know if there is a best one. I was hoping that other Linux users would have added their actual experiences to this thread by now. [and they may still yet] iAnywhere does not certify file systems and try to work with any that are in common use to truly unstable ones or highly untested one should be avoided. You are wise to check around though, since things change faster in the Linux world than...

Using SQLAnywhere replication for symetric distributed databases
I know that SQLAnywhere replication is designed for field work. But is it plausible to use it for a symmetric distributed setup of databases. The deal is this: A consolidated database, with 10-20 replicated databases connected via a 64Kb connection. The server running the consolidated database shares out a folder where the replication messages are sent and arrives. The frequency of updated the databases would be probably every minute to keep consistency errors to a minimum. Is this idea completely in the woods? -- Peter Simonsen Systems developer Ramb�ll, DK Peter S...

Help: DBIndex Error using SQLAnywhere and Optima++
�� ...

Using SQLAnywhere replication for sysmetric distributed databases
I know that SQLAnywhere replication is designed for field work. But is it plausible to use it for a symmetric distributed setup of databases. The deal is this: A consolidated database, with 10-20 replicated databases connected via a 64Kb connection. The server running the consolidated database shares out a folder where the replication messages are sent and arrives. The frequency of updated the databases would be probably every minute to keep consistency errors to a minimum. Is this idea in the woods? -- Peter Simonsen Systems developer Ramb�ll, DK When you say: >...

Web resources about - dbclient - connecting to sqlanywhere using ipx - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere