converting sql to MS SQL

I'm trying to unload a SQL Anywhere database to  a MS SQL 6.5 database.
The
SQL produced from SQL Anywhere is not at all compatible.  Is there an easy
way of moving a database from SQLA to MS SQL

darrell@texas.net
0
Darrell

Look at PowerDesigner from Powersoft.  I can reverse engineer SQLA and create
the MSSQL Server DDL for you.

Dave Wolf
Sybase Professional Services

Darrell Fuller wrote:

> I'm trying to unload a SQL Anywhere database to  a MS SQL 6.5 database.
> The
> SQL produced from SQL Anywhere is not at all compatible.  Is there an easy
> way of moving a database from SQLA to MS SQL
>
> darrell@texas.net

0
David
2/10/1998 9:30:30 PM
Darrell,

I did this a while ago and would strongly suggest that you use a tool that
reads you the database from SQL Anywhere and writes your the scripts to
create the MS SQLServer Database. I used S-Designor and it did a great job.

Issues to consider:
1. No referencial integrity in MS SQLServer -> S-Designor creates Triggers
for your

2. Some differences in Syntax e.g. CURRENT DATE -> GetDate(), Timestamp ->
DateTime, etc.
    Both of them understand Transact SQL. If you have to keep booth
datamodel in sync change the Anyhwere database first

3. MS SQLServer is weak when it comes to more complex SQL Statments. Be
prepared to write procedures where in SQL Anywhere you can do it with an
Select statement.

4. Database setup: It's much easier to setup and maintain a SQL Anywhere
database than installing a MS SQL Server.

HTH
Arthur Hefti, CPI / CPD-P

CATsoft Development GmbH, Switzerland, http://www.catsoft.ch
A Client/Server and Internet/Intranet Development Company

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Check out the Swiss PowerBuilder and I*net Conference Site
+ at www.catsoft.ch/pbconf98.htm
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Darrell Fuller wrote in message <01bd3669$e4ac3940$986c4dce@dfuller>...
>I'm trying to unload a SQL Anywhere database to  a MS SQL 6.5 database.
>The
>SQL produced from SQL Anywhere is not at all compatible.  Is there an easy
>way of moving a database from SQLA to MS SQL
>
>darrell@texas.net

0
Arthur

how i will convert MS SQL Express Edition to MS SQL 2005
hi friend now i am using VS 2005 and MS SQL express edition as Database. i want to host the application. at server it will not support sql express edition. how i will convert .mdf file to MS SQL server 2005 please help me friends.abdul manzoor AOA Manzoor, There is no special requirement to convert MS SQL Express Database to SQL Server 2005 Database.. You can attach the SQL Express 2005 Database File (.mdf ) with the same database attachment procedure that we follow on SQL Server 2005 Database attachment , All you need is 1. Open the SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, Right Cl...

FYI - Interesting difference between Oracle SQL and MS SQL
While converting some code from T-SQL to PL/SQL, I ran across an interesting bit of MS SQL code.  The code looked odd to me so I did a quick experiment to prove what it did.  I was quite surprised by the MS SQL results! In ORACLE: create table testunion (aaa number); insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion select aaa * aaa from testunion;  select * from testunion;  -- Returns one record, as it should, "2" delete testunion; insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion allselect aaa * aaa from testunion; select * from testunion; -- Returns one record, ...

Converting SQL Anywhere 5 to MS SQL Server
Anyone got any tips on how to convert a single user SQL Anywhere 5.0 based app to use MS SQL Server. The original app was developed using PB 5.04 for deployment in a single user environment. I want to upgrade to a Network Server based installation and I am considering MS SQL Server as the backend DBMS. What is the latest version of MS SQL Server that I can use with PB 5.04, what kind of special multiuser database mgmt functionality should I consider etc. Best regards Jim email: jdoyle@coqui.net <Anonymous@sybase.com> wrote in message news:9C37C3FBA09333640058...

MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000
With Enterprise Manager, how can I convert a database from MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000 Thanks. Do you have Books Online? There is a topic in there called "Upgrading Databases from SQL Server 7.0 (Copy Database Wizard)" which will tell you how to do it. Terri Terri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question Create a staging database to deal with issues before moving to the destination database. We still have some 7.0 and 2000 running. The process is test a lot then deploy. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Gift PeddieKind regards,Gift Peddie thanks guys...

Converting db from SQL Anywhere 5 to MS SQL Server 7
I have converted a SQL Anywhere 5 database to MS SQL Server 7 database. When the tables are converted are the primary key, foreign keys and indexes brought over to MS SQL Server 7 or do they all have to be recreated in the coverted tables? If they have to be recreated, is there a simple way to do it? Thanks, Sheldon Thompson How did you perform the migration? If you extracted the SQL schema for the tables, it should have included the indices in the SQL script. First thing is to use the admin tool and check to see if the indices were created. If not, then you need to extra...

MS Access, MS SQL Express, MS SQL when you should use wich version?
Hi, I'm planning to make a website for a in first part a small user group. There needs to displayed some data in the database.But because the hostings party advices Acces.I like MS SQL Express more, because the size of the visitors is getting very big. The meaning of the project is to make a big website for the complete country. But i can use Access, it works, but does anyone know till how much visitors you can use access, and MS SQL Express ?Of course MS SQL is very nice, but its also very heavy to get a licence.The website is made for free and we need to run it in spare time, also for...

Topic: Converting db from SQL Anywhere 5 to MS SQL Server 7
I have converted a SQL Anywhere 5 database to MS SQL Server 7 database. When the tables are converted are the primary key, foreign keys and indexes brought over to MS SQL Server 7 or do they all have to be recreated in the coverted tables? If they have to be recreated, is there a simple way to do it? By the way, I used the MS SQL Import/Export Utility to do the conversion. If there is another method, please let me know. Thanks, Sheldon Thompson ...

MS Access SQL migration to MS SQL Server TSQL
got some MS Access SQL Code that needs converting into TSQL: SELECT dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID, dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName, Sum(IIf(IsNull([CompletionDate]),0,1)) AS Completed, Count([pkServiceID])-Sum(IIf(IsNull([CompletionDate]),0,1)) AS Uncompleted, Count(dbo_MyServiceRequests.pkServiceID) AS TotalCount FROM dbo_qryMyServices LEFT JOIN dbo_MyServiceRequests ON dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID = dbo_MyServiceRequests.PostType GROUP BY dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID, dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName ORDER BY dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName; because it's Access and got V...

MS SQL 7 and MS SQL 2000
Situation. We have a client/server application written in PB 7 Build 6012. It works fine with MS SQL Server 7 When connecting to MS SQL Server 2000 in multiuser environment (more than 6 concurrent users) - numerous deadlocks and detrimental preformance. Does anybody have similar problems? Are there any changes in lock behaivour between MS SQL 7 and MS SQL 2000? On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:05:58 -0700, vovchik <Vladimir.Mylnikov@acs-inc.com> wrote: >Situation. We have a client/server application written in PB 7 Build >6012. It works fine with MS SQL Server 7 >When conn...

MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000
We are migrating from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000. We are using a Native connections and would like to know if there are any issues that we should be aware to do this correctly. TIA Adam Shepherd Are you sure about that? I have not experienced (or heard of) that kind of problem w/ 7.0. There are many other reasons why a table san is performed, but I don't think a numeric data type would cause it... Or are you talking about the PB problem of sending an Integer as 1. -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp...

Equivalent for MS SQL T-SQL
I have the following code snippet in a T-SQL trigger (which have been copied from a MS SQL 2005 trigger). ---- insert into @result execute (@sqlcmd) ---- @result is a temporary table and @sqlcmd is a VARCHAR(100). If I remove those lines the trigger is successfully created. With these lines included an error is reported 'near execute', SQLCODE=-131 Is there an equivalent way to insert the results from an execute statement into a table in SQL Anywhere? You do not indicate which version of SQL Anywhere you're using. If I assume v11, then you can specify the syntax...

SQL Anwhere and MS SQL Server
Can SQL Anwhere (5.5x) coexist on an NT server running Microsoft SQL Server? What are the problems, if any? DTB Both coexist without problems on my machine. -- Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Engineering Adaptive Server Anywhere Dennis Brimeyer wrote: > Can SQL Anwhere (5.5x) coexist on an NT server running Microsoft SQL Server? > What are the problems, if any? > > DTB ...

SQL Anywhere to MS SQL Server
I have a PB 5.0.02 application that has been developed entirely using Sybase SQL Anywhere for the database. We are now planning to switch to using MS SQL Server 6.5. To minimize the amount of work required and potential problems I think that I will just use an ODBC connection instead of the native drivers provided in PB. Are there any problems I should be aware of? Will the SQL fail or behave differently in certain aggregate functions? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Scott Bray I forgot to mention, I am running SQL Anywhere Authenticated v...

SQL Function for MS-SQL compatibilty
Hi, There is any chance that Sybase implement customize SQL function in ASE ? We would make softwares who be compatible with both database ASE 12... and MS SQL 2000. At this time, we do it except for SQL Function. Nobody have some information on it ? thx This was an ISUG enhancement request (9310_18) that "went nowhere". Then there is request e01_274 which is basically the same. Sybase has indicated to ISUG that it is planned. Which future release is the interesting question. "Raynald M." <no_spam_bilou120000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

Web resources about - converting sql to MS SQL - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Rothesay building new arena, converting existing rink to fieldhouse
The Town of Rothesay plans to build a new arena and convert the existing one into a fieldhouse.