Cannot connect via ODBC DSN to Sql Anywhere across network

Hello again.

I am trying to connect to a database on a network server via ODBC. I want to
be able to set up a DSN on multiple client machines and connect to a central
server. However, I am not able to connect. I am not sure where in the
process I am going wrong.

I have created a network service on a central server running sql anywhere.
The machines name is lotus. I named the service testservice and pointed it
at a local database named testdatabase.db. The service is running, but how
do I tell if the database is running? Does it automatically run with the
service. This is what I would expect.

So on a client machine I am trying to connect to this database. I make a
System DSN and choose the Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 drivers. I create a
datasource name of testdatasource. I enter the login and password
information.

This is where I get lost. What does the database tab expect for Server name
and Database name. Does this expect the machine name, does it expect the
service name? I've tried both, including the fully qualified machine name.

I assume that the database name is the actual name of the database?

Do I need to enter any network information? If so what.

I have read through the documentation, and it seems to be sorely lacking as
far as examples go. And most if not all of the examples are as if you are
running everything on one machine. Not helpful.

I will be very grateful for any assistance anyone can give me. Thanks in
advance.

--
Ryan Taylor
rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com

0
Ryan

"Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote:

> I have created a network service on a central server running sql anywhere.
> The machines name is lotus. I named the service testservice and pointed it
> at a local database named testdatabase.db. The service is running, but how
> do I tell if the database is running? Does it automatically run with the
> service. This is what I would expect.

   The details you entered on "Configuration" tab may be helpful, may I ask
you to post them here? However, ASA doesn't start without any database
attached. If you check "Allow service to interact with desktop" option,
server window would be visible, so you can confirm server startup visually.

> So on a client machine I am trying to connect to this database. I make a
> System DSN and choose the Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 drivers. I create a
> datasource name of testdatasource. I enter the login and password
> information.
>
> This is where I get lost. What does the database tab expect for Server
name
> and Database name. Does this expect the machine name, does it expect the
> service name? I've tried both, including the fully qualified machine name.

   Machine name is completely irrelevant for ASA. Only service name is
significant ("testservice" in your case).

> I assume that the database name is the actual name of the database?

   By default, "database name" is the DB file name. So, your database is
"testdatabase" unless you've changed this name by -n option.

> Do I need to enter any network information? If so what.

   On "Network" tab, check the checkbox which applies to the network
protocol you have chosen.

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
2/24/2004 2:28:27 PM
On my configuration tab is

File name: C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\win32\dbsrv9.exe
Parameters E:\testdatabase\testdatabase.db

I did see the icon in the system tray.

So I enter all the information and I get a
Connection failed: Database server not found.

--
"Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message
> "Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> > I have created a network service on a central server running sql
anywhere.
> > The machines name is lotus. I named the service testservice and pointed
it
> > at a local database named testdatabase.db. The service is running, but
how
> > do I tell if the database is running? Does it automatically run with the
> > service. This is what I would expect.
>
>    The details you entered on "Configuration" tab may be helpful, may I
ask
> you to post them here? However, ASA doesn't start without any database
> attached. If you check "Allow service to interact with desktop" option,
> server window would be visible, so you can confirm server startup
visually.

> > So on a client machine I am trying to connect to this database. I make a
> > System DSN and choose the Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 drivers. I create
> > datasource name of testdatasource. I enter the login and password
> > information.
> >
> > This is where I get lost. What does the database tab expect for Server
> name
> > and Database name. Does this expect the machine name, does it expect the
> > service name? I've tried both, including the fully qualified machine
name.

>    Machine name is completely irrelevant for ASA. Only service name is
> significant ("testservice" in your case).
>
> > I assume that the database name is the actual name of the database?
>
>    By default, "database name" is the DB file name. So, your database is
> "testdatabase" unless you've changed this name by -n option.
>
> > Do I need to enter any network information? If so what.
>
>    On "Network" tab, check the checkbox which applies to the network
> protocol you have chosen.
>
> Dmitri.

0
Ryan
2/24/2004 2:39:57 PM
For this service configuration, your settings should be:

Server Name        testdatabase
Database Name    testdatabase

Network Tab: Check the appropriate network protocol that you will be using
for connectivity. TCP/IP is the most likely for a Windows deployment.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

*

"Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote in message
> On my configuration tab is
>
> File name: C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\win32\dbsrv9.exe
> Parameters E:\testdatabase\testdatabase.db
>
> I did see the icon in the system tray.
>
> So I enter all the information and I get a
> Connection failed: Database server not found.
>
> --
> Ryan Taylor
> rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com
> "Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message
> > "Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have created a network service on a central server running sql
> anywhere.
> > > The machines name is lotus. I named the service testservice and
pointed
> it
> > > at a local database named testdatabase.db. The service is running, but
> how
> > > do I tell if the database is running? Does it automatically run with
the
> > > service. This is what I would expect.
> >
> >    The details you entered on "Configuration" tab may be helpful, may I
> ask
> > you to post them here? However, ASA doesn't start without any database
> > attached. If you check "Allow service to interact with desktop" option,
> > server window would be visible, so you can confirm server startup
> visually.
> >
> > > So on a client machine I am trying to connect to this database. I make
> > > System DSN and choose the Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 drivers. I
create
> > > datasource name of testdatasource. I enter the login and password
> > > information.
> > >
> > > This is where I get lost. What does the database tab expect for Server
> > name
> > > and Database name. Does this expect the machine name, does it expect
the
> > > service name? I've tried both, including the fully qualified machine
> name.
> >
> >    Machine name is completely irrelevant for ASA. Only service name is
> > significant ("testservice" in your case).
> >
> > > I assume that the database name is the actual name of the database?
> >
> >    By default, "database name" is the DB file name. So, your database is
> > "testdatabase" unless you've changed this name by -n option.
> >
> > > Do I need to enter any network information? If so what.
> >
> >    On "Network" tab, check the checkbox which applies to the network
> > protocol you have chosen.
> >
> > Dmitri.

0
Chris
2/24/2004 2:59:40 PM
Thank you very much for your help. I can finally connect!

--
"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
wrote in message news:403b66dc$1@forums-1-dub...
> For this service configuration, your settings should be:
>
> Server Name        testdatabase
> Database Name    testdatabase
>
> Network Tab: Check the appropriate network protocol that you will be using
> for connectivity. TCP/IP is the most likely for a Windows deployment.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

> *
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

> *
>
> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

> *
>
> "Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > On my configuration tab is
> >
> > File name: C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\win32\dbsrv9.exe
> > Parameters E:\testdatabase\testdatabase.db
> >
> > I did see the icon in the system tray.
> >
> > So I enter all the information and I get a
> > Connection failed: Database server not found.
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Taylor
> > rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com
> > "Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message

> > anywhere.
> pointed
> > it
> > how
> the
> > >
> > >    The details you entered on "Configuration" tab may be helpful, may
> > ask
> > > you to post them here? However, ASA doesn't start without any database
> > > attached. If you check "Allow service to interact with desktop"
option,
> > > server window would be visible, so you can confirm server startup
> > visually.

> create

Server
> > > name
> the
> > name.
> > >
> > >    Machine name is completely irrelevant for ASA. Only service name is
> > > significant ("testservice" in your case).

> > >    By default, "database name" is the DB file name. So, your database
is
> > > "testdatabase" unless you've changed this name by -n option.

> > >    On "Network" tab, check the checkbox which applies to the network
> > > protocol you have chosen.
> > >
> > > Dmitri.

0
Ryan

connection problems to SQL Anywhere Server from SQL client via netbios and ODBC
Hello- I have a user with an NT 4.0 server and windows 95 clients. The error when attempting the connection of the SQL client to SQL server is Unable to Start, Server not found, which I personally have seen at least 1000 times in supporting our app with SQL Anywhere. If I use the -z -o switch and write the verbage to a text file, netbios starts successfully, but near the bottom of the file, the following lines appear: NETBIOS -- Trying connection on Lan Adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Failure to connect on lan adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Looking for name on lan adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Name no...

Connecting to SQL via ODBC : How to change the default database configured with DSN
Hello All, Does anybody know how to achive that? <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Dsn=dsn_name;uid=user;pwd=password" providerName="System.Data.Odbc" /> I have got this created by the wizard for my sqlDataSource. I am able to get data from tables in the default database specified with the DSN. But I want to go to other database than the default. Thanks a lot in advamce for your help! Kazu DSN is tied to a particular database, which in your case is the default database.  You can either a) create a new DSN and link it with the database you want to connect with ...

Connecting to SQL Anywhere server on NT Server via Dial-up networking.
After establishing a dial-ip session I execute the following command: dbclient -z -x tcpip{HOST=X.X..X.X} MyDB I receive the error message "Unable to start -- Server not found" However when I view the Client window I see: Trying X.X.X.X Found Server: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX Shutting down listener thread: 0 Shutting down listener thread: 1 Shutting down listener thread: 2 Shutting down listener thread: 3 What am I missing here ? Try this: dbclient -z -x tcpip{HOST=X.X..X.X;MYIP=NONE;TO=20} MyDB The last item is the database server not the database...

Connect across network to SQL Anywhere 9 Developer edition (in Delphi)?
Hello I'm unable to connect to the sample asademo database across our network. I'm using Delphi 7.1 Enterprise and want to use dbExpress (ADO is an option too) I have tried: 1) The dbExpAsa driver mentioned in http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1027878 This driver goes though ODBC (it needs dbodbc9.dll) so I installed the Sybase network client on my local machine as well (this installs an ODBC driver and creates a User DSN) 2) The Visoco ASA driver mentioned in http://www.visoco.com/products/dbexpany/index.php Both test applications work fine when I run them on the s...

SqlAnywhere 9.0 Connection Failed ODBC via network TCP/IP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4aab6840 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I am currently developing a web using ASP.NET with the requirement to connect to a SqlAnywhere 9.0 database server via network, not LOCAL pc.The problem is i have write a simple test program in .NET, it work in Local pc but when i wish to connect to the other database server locate in other pc in the network, the connection could not establish. I have attached the print screen that i am using the ODBC connection, wh...

How to connect to Sql Anywhere in the network
I run the Sybase SQL Anywhere Network Server Version 5.5.04 in one computer. And I want to visit the database server in another computer through the network. But I just wonder how to connect to the Sybase Sql Anywhere SERVER in the network. Would you please tell me how to connect to it? Another question is how to run the database created in the local machine as the network server? Thank you very much! Sincerely, Fang Jing ...

Connect to SQL Anywhere with NO DSN
I want to distribute a PB app but I do not want a DSN entry. Is there anyway to hard code the dbparm without a DSN but to just use the actual ..DB file name? I don't think so. I wish there was, it would make deployment easier. If you want I can provide you with some InstallShield code to configure your ODBC entries. Regards, Dave Fish [Team Powersoft] On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:22:34 -0500, Richard Shakour <dct@dctsystems.com> wrote: >I want to distribute a PB app but I do not want a DSN entry. Is there >anyway to hard code the dbparm without a DSN but to ju...

Connecting ODBC across networks
ASA 9.02 I have a customer who is trying to connect to an ASA 9.02 db across networks -- 172.16.0.184 to 172.16.1.78. He tells me that the router will automatically make the translation when it sees an attempt to connect to the x.x.1.78 address. Can this be done with ODBC network settings? Can this be done? Thanks, Bill Skelton Bill Skelton wrote: > ASA 9.02 > I have a customer who is trying to connect to an ASA 9.02 db across > networks -- 172.16.0.184 to 172.16.1.78. He tells me that the router will > automatically make the translation when it sees an at...

Connecting to SQL across a network
I am currently trying to develop a web application that connects to a SQL Server 2000 database on the network. I can connect to the server when I compile the code into an exe. I get the error Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. My connection string is simply "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=emachines-dev; Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=dsdbase;" I have read about configureing the SQL server 2000 to accept the asp.net username, but the username is local to the machine with the database. How do I connect to the da...

SQl Anywhere ODBC connection
Hi all I'm trying to connect to a third party application that uses sql anywhere 5.0 as the database. I have (I think) install the ODBC Drivers on the client machine and when I try to connect to the server via a system dsn I get the following error message unable to connect to database server:unable to start database engine(#80) Microsoft odbc driver manager drivers SQLConnectAttr failed(#0) any help in explaining the above error or references to documents would be greatly appreciated I am sort of new to using the ASA driver but it almost sounds like the ASA is not st...

Connecting to SQL 2000 via ODBC
I'm having a problem connecting to SQL 2000 via ODBC. The error I'm gettiing is SQLState=S1003. [Microsoft].[ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range It seems like it makes the connection ok, but I get the error when I try to bring up any tables. Thanks, Chris Make sure you have the latest patches for PB 6.5 / 7. They have support for ODBC 3.5 and later. NB: please specify OS and PB version when you post. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS versions in your post. Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn Techwave 2000: ...

IIS connect to SQL via DSN
Hi, I'm trying get my asp pages to access my SQL server through any kind of connection I can come up with.  I'm thinking DSN, which works great when I configure it through control panel, but once I use the connection string, "DSN=connect_to_fatcat" then I get the following error in my browser:  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database "fatcat" requested by the login. The login failed. /fatcat/asptest.asp, line 9  Something else I tried....

How to connect to Sql Anywhere in the network #2
I run the Sybase SQL Anywhere Network Server Version 5.5.04 in one computer. And I want to visit the database server in another computer through the network. But I just wonder how to connect to the Sybase Sql Anywhere SERVER in the network. Would you please tell me how to connect to it? Another question is how to run the database created in the local machine as the network server? Thank you very much! Sincerely, Fang Jing On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:11:19 +0800, "Fang Jing" <fangjing@telekbird.com.cn> wrote: > I run the Sybase SQL Anywher...

SQL Anywhere connection via JDBC
I was wondering where and how I can get a driver to connect to my SQL Anywhere DB running on an NT server from my java application. I am currently using the ODBC bridge, but this will not do for applets. Any suggestions??? Rob jConnect is part of SQL Anywhere Studio. -- --------------------------------------- Rob Waywell Sybase Please Respond to Newsgroups Rob wrote in message ... >I was wondering where and how I can get a driver to connect to my SQL >Anywhere DB running on an NT server from my java application. I am >currently using the ODBC bridge, but...

Web resources about - Cannot connect via ODBC DSN to Sql Anywhere across network - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Trump: Shut Muslims Out of U.S.
Donald Trump called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States” on Monday, garnering criticism from Republicans ...

How Grammy-winning rapper Kendrick Lamar went from homeless to top of the hip-hop game
Growing up in Compton, Kendrick Lamar, 28, saw the effects of gangs and experienced unfair treatment from police. He knew what it felt like to ...

What Fans Can Definitely Not Expect From ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’ And Which Character Had A Sex ...
Most of the details about the highly-anticipated new Star Wars film have been a closely guarded secret. While some details about the plot have ...

Google Enables Chrome’s Safe Browsing On Android By Default
One of the features of Google’s Chrome browser on the desktop is its safe browsing feature. If you do use Chrome on your desktop you might be ...

StudioCanal Boards World War II Thriller ‘The Last Battle’
StudioCanal is developing a World War II movie about U.S. and German soldiers teaming up for a rescue of French prisoners near the end of the ...

Hillary Clinton must think all Muslims are idiots
Hillary Clinton has doubled down on her refusal to use the term “radical Islam” to describe radical Islamists. Hillary Clinton doubled down ...

Kim Kardashian Reveals Son's Shocking Unique Name — Love Or Loathe?
Hollywood Life Kim Kardashian Reveals Son's Shocking Unique Name — Love Or Loathe? Hollywood Life It's the moment some have been waiting for, ...

Justices Reject Challenge to Local Assault Weapons Ban
TIME Justices Reject Challenge to Local Assault Weapons Ban ABC News Acting in the aftermath of the San Bernardino mass shooting, the Supreme ...

Dropbox trashes Mailbox and Carousel
It would appear that both Mailbox and Carousel have not been nearly popular enough for Dropbox to continue running the lot. The one is used for ...

Venezuela opposition wins majority in legislature
Opposition wins control of National Assembly by a landslide, delivering major setback to the long-ruling socialists.