Automated Upgrade of ASA 5.0 database to ASA 8.0 database

Hello,

We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their
laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these laptops.
To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0

In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB
schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML
server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade.

Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual
databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users.

Is there any standard process or upgrade scripts available to automate an
ASA DB upgrade? Is there any documentation or examples of this? This seems
like an issue that would come up fairly often.

Thanks,
Bill
0
Bill

The dbunload utility can be run from the command line, or imbedded into a C/C++ program using the dbtools header files
provided with ASA.  From the command line (assuming v8 executables are being used BTW) :

dbunload -c "uid=dba;pwd=sql;dbf=c:\database\v5.db" -an v8.db c:\

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

<Bill> wrote in message news:04B6BE1F11A2983D0049CE5A85256C3F.0049CE6885256C3F@webforums...
> Hello,
>
> We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their
> laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these laptops.
> To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0
>
> In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB
> schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML
> server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade.
>
> Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual
> databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users.
>
> Is there any standard process or upgrade scripts available to automate an
> ASA DB upgrade? Is there any documentation or examples of this? This seems
> like an issue that would come up fairly often.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

0
Reg
9/25/2002 2:01:11 PM
- See dbunload in the help file. It has samples.
- Rebuilt.bat in the WIN32 directory that unloads old db files into newly
initialized database files.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

<Bill> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their
> laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these
laptops.
> To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0
>
> In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB
> schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML
> server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade.
>
> Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual
> databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users.
>
> Is there any standard process or upgrade scripts available to automate an
> ASA DB upgrade? Is there any documentation or examples of this? This seems
> like an issue that would come up fairly often.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

0
Chris
9/25/2002 2:03:39 PM
Are there any tools that include the reinitialization of the replication
information.  This is the painful part.  Still haven't gotten it to work
100% on all our test databases. In our case it is ASA 6 to ASA8.

Most of the issues are relating to the log offsets, as well as the
copying/resetting of the old log file.

--
Andrew Braunstein

"Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
> - See dbunload in the help file. It has samples.
> - Rebuilt.bat in the WIN32 directory that unloads old db files into newly
> initialized database files.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
> <Bill> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on
their
> > laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these
> laptops.
> > To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0
> >
> > In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB
> > schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML
> > server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade.
> >
> > Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual
> > databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users.
> >
> > Is there any standard process or upgrade scripts available to automate
an
> > ASA DB upgrade? Is there any documentation or examples of this? This
seems
> > like an issue that would come up fairly often.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

0
Andrew
9/25/2002 7:27:13 PM
The dbunload -an/ac/ar switches will preserve your replication environment,
as long as you do not have replicating users with ids < 6 in the sysuserperm
table (in this case you will get an error during the rebuild).
I would try the rebuild on a backup of your database, then compare the
replication settings if you want to be sure.

--
Jason Hinsperger
International and Sustaining Engineering

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
--

"Andrew Braunstein" <abraunstein@healthwyse.com> wrote in message
> Are there any tools that include the reinitialization of the replication
> information.  This is the painful part.  Still haven't gotten it to work
> 100% on all our test databases. In our case it is ASA 6 to ASA8.
>
> Most of the issues are relating to the log offsets, as well as the
> copying/resetting of the old log file.
>
> --
> Andrew Braunstein
>
> "Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
> > - See dbunload in the help file. It has samples.
> > - Rebuilt.bat in the WIN32 directory that unloads old db files into
newly
> > initialized database files.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chris Keating
> > Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
> > iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
> >
> > ** Please only post to the newsgroup
> >
> > ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> > ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> > ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
> >
> > <Bill> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on
> their
> > > laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these
> > laptops.
> > > To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0
> > >
> > > In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a
DB
> > > schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML
> > > server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade.
> > >
> > > Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for
individual
> > > databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users.
> > >
> > > Is there any standard process or upgrade scripts available to automate
> an
> > > ASA DB upgrade? Is there any documentation or examples of this? This
> seems
> > > like an issue that would come up fairly often.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill

0
Jason

automated upgrade from ASA 5.0 to ASA 8.0
Hello, We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these laptops. To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0 In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade. Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users. Is ...

automated upgrade of ASA 5 database to ASA 8 database
Hello, We have a few hundred users who currently have an ASA 5 database on their laptops. We are going to use MobiLInk to synchronize data on these laptops. To do so, we are going to upgrade each users database to ASA 8.0 In Sybase Central there is the "Unload Databse" feature for copying a DB schema and data. Also when I connected to the 5.0 ASA DB from a 8.0 ML server a wizard kicked off that walked me through a DB upgrade. Here is my issue. The above mentioned procedures are fine for individual databases, but we need to roll this out to hundreds of users. Is ...

Problem Upgrading SQLAnywhere 5.5 Databases to ASA 6.0.1
I have a few small databases in SQLAnywhere 5.5 Since I don't have the driver or server available I wanted to convert them to ASA 6.0.1 However, the upgrade utility in Sybase Central 3.1.0 reports that the databases are not a valid ASA database file. Is this a bug or am I missing something here? ...

databases not starting after an upgrade from ASA 6.0 to ASA 6.0.3
Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME. --------------783748975945207821DE7F16 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, After un upgrade from ASA 6.0 to ASA 6.0.3, my db services (on a Win NT server) don't start. I got a message : "A database server with that name has already started" but i haven't a db with that name. Is it a bug of the 6.0.3 version. How can i fix it? Thanks for help Laurent --------------783748975945207821DE7F16 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="druart.vc...

How do I migrate a SQLAnywhere 5.0 standalone database to ASA 6.0 ?
How do I migrate a SQLAnywhere 5.0 standalone database to ASA 6.0 ? In the project I am working on I need to move a SQLAnywhere 5.0 standalone database to ASA 6.0. standalone. Notes: The application accessing the data is written in Powerbuilder 5.0 In addition to the 6.0 connection I must also maintain a connection to a SQLAnywhere Server 5.5.04. Please answer: 1. Can this be done ? 2. Do I need to do anything with the database itself ? 3. What must I do to configure the database ? 4. What are the things I need to do to deploy ? connect a SQLA 5.0 whit driver ASA ...

SQL Anywhere 5.0 upgraded by ASA 6.0?, ASA 6.0 on Linux???
What is ASA? Is the newest version of Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0? Can I directly upgrade a Database from SQL Anywhere 5.0 (windows NT) to ASA 6.0 or 7.0? Then, what is the database engine for Linux? or ASA 6.0 or 7.0 is multiplatform? Please, any help, I don't understand. P.S.: My SQL Anywhere 5.0 is boundled with DataEase Plus 2.77 conected via ODBC, will run with ASA on any platform? > What is ASA? Adaptive Server Anywhere. IE enchanced & considerably improved versions of old SQL Anywhere > Is the newest version of Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0? No. Last versio...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell to ASA 7.0 on Windows 2000
TASK: ------------------------------------- Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 database on Novell Netware to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0 database on Windows 2000 server. Please let me know if I should be aware of any special step(s) that might be required for this kind of upgrade. Also, let me know if are any anticipated problems for this kind of upgrade. MAIN CONCERNS: ------------------------------------- Is it possible to load the SQL Anywhere 5.0 datafile (.db) from Novell Netware platform directly to Windows 2000 platform? Are there any compatibility issues? Do we need to firs...

ASA 6.0.4 Upgrade to ASA 8.0
I will be upgrading our two databases this week-end. Are there any known issues I should know about going from 6.0 to 8.0? Thanks. Get the 8.0.1 maintenance release. Also get the 8.0.1.3036 VBF (which seems to have disappeared momentarily from the download site). Do the upgrade via dbunload/dbinit/dbisqlg-reload.sql, not dbupgrade. Run the version 8 versions of dbunload.exe, etcetera, not V6. Use explicit filespecs, don't rely on the PATH. Be prepared to have *some* problems reloading, requiring some editing of the reload.sql file. If you experience any slow querie...

PB 6.5 with ASA 7.0.4 or ASA 8.0 using OLE DB
Can anybody send me the Syntax i wud use to connect to ASA using OLE DB drivers. Where wud i find this driver, i know sybase provides ASAPROV but how do i configure it. How do i go about setting an OLE DB datasource ?? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Thanks Ravi You cannot use OLEDB in PB 6.5. You need PB 7 or later. /ck "Ravi" <ravinath@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:diBoke2eCHA.196@forums.sybase.com... > Can anybody send me the Syntax i wud use to connect to ASA using OLE DB > drivers. Where wud i find this driver, i know ...

8.0.2 database with 8.0.0 engine
Hi All, A simple question on sybase ASA versioning.... Can i send a db created or (upgraded) in a 8.0.2 environment (on WK2) to a customer running the db on a 8.0.0 server (on linux - no 8.0.2 at the moment). Regards to active supporters of this effective newsgroup. Francois PS: By the way the 8.0.2 document is just plain superb :) A database that has been dbinit'ed by an 8.0.2 engine will not be usable by a 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 engine - the earlier engine versions won't know how to handle capability bit 20. I haven't checked all of the particulars on what happ...

ASA 8 upgrade of remote 5.5 database
We are in the planning stage of upgrading a large number of remote installations of SQL Anywhere 5 databases to ASA 8. In the upgrade documentation, there was a mention of ensuring that user ids in sysusers table stays consistent across an upload/ download process. I have done preliminary testing and I found out that when reloading to a fresh ASA 8 database, the user ids will always be updated to start at 100 and the system ids at 1? If we are to upgrade the 5.5 database using dbupgrade utility and use the ASA 8 dbunload utility with the -m option, we can stay with the old...

ASA 7.0.0 to asa 7.0.3
How can I upgrade ASA 7.0.0 to ASA 7.0.3? Can I download ASA 7.0.3 full install if I've got ASA 7.0.0 full install package? Yuri Isaenko ICQ#: 114279655 Download the "Adaptive Server Anywhere - Maintenance Release (English), Upgrade of 7.0.x to 7.0.3" from my.sybase.com. You will have to increase the "Time Frame" value to see it. Breck On Thu, 9 May 2002 00:26:09 +0200, "YI" <yi@gor.kv.energy.gov.ua> wrote: >How can I upgrade ASA 7.0.0 to ASA 7.0.3? >Can I download ASA 7.0.3 full install if I've got ASA 7.0.0 full inst...

Can I install both ASA 6.0 and ASA 8.0 on the same server?
Can I install both Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0 and Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 on the same machine (server)? Can they work well together? Yes, and yes. One problem you *might* have is if you rely on the PATH to find some utility programs (e.g. dbinit.exe) that have the same name in both versions. Stop relying on the PATH and you'll be fine :) Breck On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:12:04 -0500, Hai_Nguyen wrote: >Can I install both Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0 and Adaptive Server >Anywhere 8.0 on the same machine (server)? Can they work well together? bcarter@risingroad....

migration ASA 6.0 database to ASA 10.
Hi All, I am trying to migration ASA 6.0 database to ASA 10. Any know issues? Any particular procedure to do that? Any one already has script for ASA migration. Jenny, Our documentation goes into pretty good detail about how to do what you're proposing: http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/sqlanywhere/1001/en/html/dbwnen10/wn-v10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/sqlanywhere/1001/en/html/dbwnen10/wn-unloading-reloading-upgrading-newjasper.html Tips: - Use the **version 10** dbunload utility ...

Web resources about - Automated Upgrade of ASA 5.0 database to ASA 8.0 database - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Automated analyser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These measured properties of blood and other fluids may be useful in the diagnosis of disease. Many methods of introducing samples into the ...

Do Automated Facebook Responses Defeat The Purpose?
As demand for customer support on Facebook and other social networks increases, it will be increasingly difficult for companies to keep up. But ...

Facebook ads API partner SocialClicks launches Predictive Automated Bid Optimization
... API partner, announced recently that the company has released the latest feature of its SocialClicks Advance Technology Suite, Predictive Automated ...

What kind of automated testing does Facebook do? - Quora
For our PHP code, we have a suite of a few thousand test classes using the PHPUnit framework. They range in complexity from simple true unit ...

Beesy - Take meeting notes with automated To-Do list and Task / Project management for iPad on the iTunes ...
Get Beesy - Take meeting notes with automated To-Do list and Task / Project management on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read ...

Automated Postal Center and new Priority Mail box display - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The automated postal center is a custom-made platform by Wincor-Nixdorf based on one of their indoor ATM designs (a version of which can often ...

Patent on "Long Tail" for automated content authorship. - YouTube
Patent on "Long Tail" for automated content authorship. FAQ As the video shows, I am working on reference books, reports and educational titles ...

Futures Lab Video #34: Automated Video Editing and Mobile App Tools
... shows you tools that enable just about anyone to edit video and create mobile apps — with little or no technical skills required. PART 1: Automated ...

Sydney's Patrick terminal goes automated, with fewer staff but dancing robots
... Port Botany, every hour of every day, the robots are dancing. Well, they look like they are dancing – these 45 so-called AutoStrads, or automated ...

Recharge Wrap-up: Air Liquide buys Airgas, Audi automated parking in Boston
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Audi , Alternative Fuels , Emerging Technologies , Technology , Autonomous , Hydrogen Air Liquide hopes ...