ASCII import - new line character

I am importing ascii text files to tables in an whatcom 4 db.
For some big text fields i need to put a "newline" character
in order to get a new line in i.e varchar fileds.

I have tried � ~n with no success.

any postings will be appreciated.

Per H. Kleppe

0
Per
10/13/1997 2:18:18 PM
📁 sybase.sqlanywhere.general
📃 32637 articles.
⭐ 22 followers.

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 830 Views

Try using \n.  Watcom/SQL Anywhere reads the C special print characters,
sometimes when you don't want it to.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BCD822.8928C750

Jim,
You suppose the replication address in DBREMOTE will suffer from the same C
character interpretation for '\n' ?(sinking feeling : )

-Aditya

--
http://www.softra.com

Jim Egan wrote in article <[email protected]>...

>Try using \n.  Watcom/SQL Anywhere reads the C special print characters,
>sometimes when you don't want it to.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dealer Solutions, LLC
>Houston, TX

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BCD822.8928C750
	filename="Aditya Bhushan [SOFTRA - NT, Sybase, PowerBuilder].vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
N:Bhushan [SOFTRA - NT, Sybase, PowerBuilder];Aditya
FN:Aditya Bhushan [SOFTRA - NT, Sybase, PowerBuilder]
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[email protected]
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BCD822.8928C750--

0
Aditya
10/14/1997 4:54:10 AM
It is possible.  However, I don't do any remote development so I'm really
not one to say.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC
Jim Egan wrote:

> Try using \n.  Watcom/SQL Anywhere reads the C special print characters,
> sometimes when you don't want it to.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> Dealer Solutions, LLC
> Houston, TX

In my PB4 appl. the \n shows as � character.

I'm exporting ASCII DOS text files and want to put in
"new line" characters to control the text format
in varchar fields after importing to a PB4/whatcom4 appl.

Before importing to whatcom4,
i'm doing the file conversion like this
DOS ASCII -> MS Excel -> Windows ANSI -> Whatcom DB

Conversion from DOS(ASCII) to WIN(ANSI) char.set by using MS Excel.

I still can't get the new line character right.

Any ideas ? :)

Per H. Kleppe

0
Per