4GB use -c 2000m can't start sqlanywhere

Hi
   I have 4GB RAM can I have modify NT boot.ini files
   multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Advanced Server"
/3GB /basevideo /sos
   But I use dbsrv7.exe -c 2000m -x tcpip f:\test.db  , system disply error
message Not enough memory ???
   ASA can't support over 2GB RAM ???

0
allen

Hi Allen,

>    I have 4GB RAM can I have modify NT boot.ini files
>    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Advanced
Server"
> /3GB /basevideo /sos
>    But I use dbsrv7.exe -c 2000m -x tcpip f:\test.db  , system disply
error
> message Not enough memory ???
>    ASA can't support over 2GB RAM ???

I've noticed your message about 3 times in the past 4 months.  No one has
given you a concrete answer in regard to the 1.5 MB of RAM problem that you
are experiencing (i.e. you can start the engine with -c 1500M, but not -c
1600M).

However, I think that a definitive answer has been given in regard to the 2
GB of RAM under Windows NT---to support more than 2GB of RAM on this
platform, programs have to be specially compiled for that capability.  (At
least, that was the impression that I was under---I could be wrong.)  I do
not believe that ASA supports more than 2GB of RAM, and the fact that you
cannot allocate more than 1600M of cache seems to indicate that.

Again, I could be wrong, but, erring on the side of safety: if you're really
wanting to use this much memory (because your database must be enormous),
then use Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise, aka Sybase SQL Server) or
Sybase IQ.  These programs (ASE, IQ) are *designed* for this kind of
scenario.  Otherwise, let's get to the real issue---how big is your
database, and why do you need to have 1600M instead of 1500M of cache?  Have
you tried setting up a Unix-based operating system and an evaluation copy of
ASA, and attempted allocating 1600M of cache?  (I'd be curious to know if it
will work.)

-k

0
Kris
8/30/2000 1:43:54 PM
Make sure you have enaugh swap space. Recommeded size is size of RAM + 8Mb.
Don't know if it will help though. I have tested allocating (reserving
address space) using C program (calling VirtaulAlloc) on NT 4.0 wks, and it
happily allocates up to 2Gb (so, this might not be NT problem). To break 2GB
limit, you need NT server enterprise edition (whatever that is, I found
reference to it in MSDN). I suspect that ASA allocates some overhead (cache
+ memory it needs internaly), so it may hit 2Gb limit at lower cache sizes.
Tracing it with pview shows ASA allocates cache + 20 - 60% of cache (this
percentage is droping with increasing cache size, so it may be fixed
overhead, to lazy to test). Would be nice if memory allocation behavior is
documented somewhere.

Goran

allen wrote in message ...
>Hi
>   I have 4GB RAM can I have modify NT boot.ini files
>   multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Advanced Server"
>/3GB /basevideo /sos
>   But I use dbsrv7.exe -c 2000m -x tcpip f:\test.db  , system disply error
>message Not enough memory ???
>   ASA can't support over 2GB RAM ???

0
Goran
8/30/2000 3:21:41 PM
After upgrading from 1 to 2GB of physical RAM (and adjusting the paging
space accordingly) I have experienced similar behavior.  The max the
server will start up with is 1350m.

allen wrote:

> Hi
>    I have 4GB RAM can I have modify NT boot.ini files
>    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Advanced Server"
> /3GB /basevideo /sos
>    But I use dbsrv7.exe -c 2000m -x tcpip f:\test.db  , system disply error
> message Not enough memory ???
>    ASA can't support over 2GB RAM ???
Only NT Enterprise allows memory > 2G

There is a utility that comes with NT Enterprise that allows you to tweak an
executable so that it can use more than 2G address space; however, I do not
think we have ever tried running our cache with more than 2G so the you are
in uncharted territory

If you want to try it, they can run "imagecfg -l dbeng[50|6|7].exe" and
then restart and specify a large cache size. I recommend a full backup
ahead of time...

--
David Fishburn
Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions

EBFs and Whitepapers
http://www.sybase.com/products/mobilewireless/anywhere/

"Kris Vorwerk" <vorwerk@uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Allen,
>
> >    I have 4GB RAM can I have modify NT boot.ini files
> >    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server"
> > /3GB /basevideo /sos
> >    But I use dbsrv7.exe -c 2000m -x tcpip f:\test.db  , system disply
> error
> > message Not enough memory ???
> >    ASA can't support over 2GB RAM ???
>
> I've noticed your message about 3 times in the past 4 months.  No one has
> given you a concrete answer in regard to the 1.5 MB of RAM problem that
you
> are experiencing (i.e. you can start the engine with -c 1500M, but not -c
> 1600M).
>
> However, I think that a definitive answer has been given in regard to the
2
> GB of RAM under Windows NT---to support more than 2GB of RAM on this
> platform, programs have to be specially compiled for that capability.  (At
> least, that was the impression that I was under---I could be wrong.)  I do
> not believe that ASA supports more than 2GB of RAM, and the fact that you
> cannot allocate more than 1600M of cache seems to indicate that.
>
> Again, I could be wrong, but, erring on the side of safety: if you're
really
> wanting to use this much memory (because your database must be enormous),
> then use Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise, aka Sybase SQL Server) or

> Sybase IQ.  These programs (ASE, IQ) are *designed* for this kind of
> scenario.  Otherwise, let's get to the real issue---how big is your
> database, and why do you need to have 1600M instead of 1500M of cache?
Have
> you tried setting up a Unix-based operating system and an evaluation copy
of
> ASA, and attempted allocating 1600M of cache?  (I'd be curious to know if
it
> will work.)
>
> -k

0
David
8/31/2000 2:22:46 AM
Hi
   Yes , I use win2000 Enterprise  and have 4GB RAM
"David Fishburn" <fishburn@spam_off_sybase.com> ���g��l��

> [...]
you
> > cannot allocate more than 1600M of cache seems to indicate that.
> >
> > Again, I could be wrong, but, erring on the side of safety: if you're
> really
> > wanting to use this much memory (because your database must be
enormous),
> > then use Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise, aka Sybase SQL Server)
or

> > Sybase IQ.  These programs (ASE, IQ) are *designed* for this kind of
> > scenario.  Otherwise, let's get to the real issue---how big is your
> > database, and why do you need to have 1600M instead of 1500M of cache?
> Have
> > you tried setting up a Unix-based operating system and an evaluation
copy
> of
> > ASA, and attempted allocating 1600M of cache?  (I'd be curious to know

0
allen
8/31/2000 5:06:03 PM
Then try it out and let us know what happens

How large is your database anyway?
How many users?

--

"allen" <yin5915@ms5.hinet.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > cannot allocate more than 1600M of cache seems to indicate that.
> > >
> > > Again, I could be wrong, but, erring on the side of safety: if you're
> > really
> > > wanting to use this much memory (because your database must be
> enormous),
> > > then use Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise, aka Sybase SQL
Server)
> or
> >
> > > Sybase IQ.  These programs (ASE, IQ) are *designed* for this kind of
> > > scenario.  Otherwise, let's get to the real issue---how big is your
> > > database, and why do you need to have 1600M instead of 1500M of cache?
> > Have
> > > you tried setting up a Unix-based operating system and an evaluation
> copy
> > of
> > > ASA, and attempted allocating 1600M of cache?  (I'd be curious to know

0
David
8/31/2000 5:13:43 PM
>> Yes , I use win2000 Enterprise  and have 4GB RAM <<

I don't suppose you need a consultant (that likes to play with high end
gear and push the envelope)? <g>

I'm eagerly waiting to hear how the test comes out.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
9/1/2000 2:42:58 AM
Hi
     I have try ORACLE and IQ can support over 2GB , but ASA can't support
!!
"allen" <yin5915@ms5.hinet.net> ���g��l��
> [...]
> > > cannot allocate more than 1600M of cache seems to indicate that.
> > >
> > > Again, I could be wrong, but, erring on the side of safety: if you're
> > really
> > > wanting to use this much memory (because your database must be
> enormous),
> > > then use Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise, aka Sybase SQL
Server)
> or
> >
> > > Sybase IQ.  These programs (ASE, IQ) are *designed* for this kind of
> > > scenario.  Otherwise, let's get to the real issue---how big is your
> > > database, and why do you need to have 1600M instead of 1500M of cache?
> > Have
> > > you tried setting up a Unix-based operating system and an evaluation
> copy
> > of
> > > ASA, and attempted allocating 1600M of cache?  (I'd be curious to know

0
allen
9/2/2000 8:51:42 PM
Did you try running imagecfg on the ASA engine executable as suggested? That's
all that IQ does to make the engine capable of accessing 3GB of address space.
Allocating more than 2Gig on NT enterprise is not a problem... it's whether the
code is going to hit problems with signed integer arithmetic (or other similar
problems) in the cache manager...

-john.

allen wrote:

> Hi
>      I have try ORACLE and IQ can support over 2GB , but ASA can't support
> !!
> "allen" <yin5915@ms5.hinet.net> ���g��l��
> > Hi
> >    Yes , I use win2000 Enterprise  and have 4GB RAM
> > "David Fishburn" <fishburn@spam_off_sybase.com> ���g��l��
> > >
> > > Only NT Enterprise allows memory > 2G
> > >
> > > There is a utility that comes with NT Enterprise that allows you to
> tweak
> > an
> > > executable so that it can use more than 2G address space; however, I do
> > not
> > > think we have ever tried running our cache with more than 2G so the you
> > are
> > > in uncharted territory
> > >
> > > If you want to try it, they can run "imagecfg -l dbeng[50|6|7].exe" and
> > > then restart and specify a large cache size. I recommend a full backup
> > > ahead of time...
> > >
> > > --
> > > David Fishburn
> > > Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions
> > > Professional Services
> > > Please only post to the newsgroup
> > >
> > > EBFs and Whitepapers
> > > http://www.sybase.com/products/mobilewireless/anywhere/
> > >
> > > "Kris Vorwerk" <vorwerk@uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message

0
John

CAN'T UPDATE AND CAN'T USE BROWSE
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: CAN'T UPDATE AND CAN'T USE BROWSE Comments: Comments: Firefox4 Beta5 Fails. Before getting the main browser window I get a dialoge box with the following message. "The operation can not be completed because of an internal failure. A secure network communication has not been cleaned up correctly." Once ok is pressed main browser window opoens but I can not browse any web sites (i.e. enter any url in the address bar and a blank screen is displayed, but done is shown in the status bar bottom left hand corne...

Can't upgrade browser, can't use myspace
Name: Jeff Email: safereturnatmindspringdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Can't upgrade browser, can't use myspace Comments: I have an old computer and cannot upgrade to the latest version of firefox and myspace is forcing this upgrade to acccess my myspace page. How about myspace and mozilla make it easy on us with older computers. Please solve this problem. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to th...

Why can't you clos the "last" tab anymore!? Very Annoying/disturbing if you want to have firefox ready to be used, but don't want it to show any given page when you start...
Name: Kim Email: kimdotholmbergatlivedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Why can't you clos the "last" tab anymore!? Very Annoying/disturbing if you want to have firefox ready to be used, but don't want it to show any given page when you start... Comments: Hello! Just a question! I find it slightly annoying that you cant't close the last tab anymore... => with the newer versions you always have to have a certain web-page open...!? Why's that.. Many firefox-user probably want to have firefox ready to be used (at least with the latest version which se...

Why I can't or won't use T-bird
Name: John Colman Email: cdbookieatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: Why I can't or won't use T-bird Comments: It is late at night, I'm frustrated. I've spent hours over the past three days trying to get Thunderbird to run. As you can see I have a Yahoo account using Outlook (mine is getting buggy) for e-mail. I'm a confirmed Firefox user, so T-bird seemed the next step. I've use YPOP and webmail. Can't seem to get through the username/password screen. I've searched your faq's, read the tutorial. I'm really not a stupid p...

can't use it; can't browse; need to job hunt; now what?????
Name: pamela tandy Email: ptandyatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: can't use it; can't browse; need to job hunt; now what????? Comments: This was a heck of a time to exclude all those people using older computers. Mine is OS 10.3.9. I cannot upgrade because I do not have a job. I am depending on the internet for internet mystery shopping jobs. now i cannot get my email, and cannot use a browser. how perfectly stupid. i can imagine there are as many of me out there as there are those who cannot afford a digital tv. we are talking millions. good luck to all advert...

Can't start X server and can't install NVIDIA display driver when upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2
Hi, all, I upgrade to 11.3 from 11.2 according to official portal "system upgrade". Code: -------------------- #zypper ref -------------------- Code: -------------------- #zypper dup -------------------- After complete, I restart the system, it just can login in by terminate. When I run Code: -------------------- #startx -------------------- Got below message: > > ... > Current version of pixman: 0.18.0 > Before reportign problems, check help http://wiki.x.og > to make sure that you have the latest version. > Ma...

[PATCH t/op/rx.t] Can't use TODO, use SKIP instead
While this is the right place for a TODO test, unfortunately the Test::Harness that currently comes with Perl doesn't understand this kind of TODO test. Parrot users would have to either download the new version from CPAN or wait for 5.8. So instead of TODO, use SKIP. TODO would be better, since you'd know if the test started passing, but we'll live. Alternatively, if you really, really, really want TODO tests you could drop Test::Harness 2.01 into Test/ and make t/harness use that version explicitly. If you want to justify it, 2.01 works better on VMS than the one ...

What in t/op can use Test::More and what can't.
Ok, quick run-through of what in t/op it's safe to use Test::More with. 'Yes' means use Test::More. 'No' means use an 'ok' function. 'No way' means you can't even use an 'ok' function. This is just a quick, cursory overview. Scream if something looks wrong. t/op/64bitint.t Yes t/op/anonsub.t Yes t/op/append.t No (be careful) t/op/args.t No way t/op/arith.t No t/op/array.t No (if you avoid using any arrays) t/op/assignwarn.t No t/op/attrs.t Yes t/op/au...

I'm very upset to say i can't use firefox, it doesn't work anymore...
Name: Stephen Email: retrodotrevivalathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I'm very upset to say i can't use firefox, it doesn't work anymore... Comments: I'm very upset to say i can't use firefox, it doesn't work anymore... the addons menu is blank with all weird buttons on the button, and all my addons i cant get to but some still are there like my google toolbar but it won't show in addons, and some buttons are in the navagation toolbar. i will have to uninstall if you can't help Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5....

Dropdownlist on website
When I access an application written in asp.net 2.0 on my pc (uses XP) and on a laptop (using Vista), I can type into the dropdownlist to search for a record.  But other pc's (using XP) do not allow the user type to do a search.  Only the first letter of the word or the drop down are available to do a search.   Does anyone know why it would work with some pc's but not on others? I think this behaviour is in IE 7, check to see what versions of IE the PC's have that done work.-------------------------------------------------------...

I can't delete programs that I don't use any more
I have ZA2.1.25 and it works very well, however I would like to delete some of the programs. I go through all it asks me to do but nothing happens. What else do I have to do? The program list keeps getting bigger and bigger. Carl To delete programs from ZoneAlarm's list of programs with permission: I click on the ZA icon in the task bar; Click on the Programs tab which drops down the list of programs; Right click on the program to delete; Select "Remove...." the bottom item on the drop down menu. The program is then removed from ZA's Program list. Kind S...

Web resources about - 4GB use -c 2000m can't start sqlanywhere - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere