SQL remote TIMESTAMP replication

ASA (9.X):
ASA, however is the timestamp format set, maintains the full 6-digit
fraction of second.

It would be a ***VERY FINE*** (that's three stars from both sides with caps
on) thing if the timestamp column would replicate in a ***FULL*** format,
whatever the option 'timestamp_format' would be set to, because when
replicating such a column with 'timestamp_format' set to '....nn.ss.sss'
(what I believe is the default setting), only the 'ss.sss' is replicated and
I believe ASA adds the missing three digits manually (.sss000, .sss001,
..sss002 ...).

When doing data synchronization between databases, trillions of rows show
mismatch then in timestamp columns - and it's just the remote agent who has
sent a newly added row to the remote database - with incomplete data.

This could save half, which was spent on searching for error.

Pavel

P.S. I'm sorry if this is somehow correctable, but if not and I am right,
then blizzard, lightings, fire & scream ;)

0
Pavel
1/17/2006 2:39:58 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.futures 1193 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What is your setting for SR_Timestamp_Format. The SR_Timestamp_Format is
the SQL Remote timestamp setting. BTW If you have ASE in the picture,
you should ensure that you are configured not to use the 6 digit
precision as the ASE datetime is not as precise and is only accurate to
the first three digits.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

Chris
1/17/2006 3:15:07 PM
> What is your setting for SR_Timestamp_Format. The SR_Timestamp_Format is
> the SQL Remote timestamp setting.

I did not know about this setting. I was very excited when I went to
retrieve the value of it quickly, but unfortunately, it contained six digits
in the fraction of second.

Here's a clear fragment from the remote log:
-----------------------------
I. 01/18 02:22:49. Received message from "mainusr"
(0-01024082280-01024082820-0)
I. 01/18 02:22:49. Applying message from "mainusr"
(0-01024082280-01024082820-0)
I. 01/18 02:22:49. INSERT INTO
DBA.table(column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6,

                         column7)

                   VALUES ('XXX','username','2006/01/18','*******','Login
Successful','username','02:18:14.125 2006/01/18')
I. 01/18 02:22:49. COMMIT
I. 01/18 02:22:50. Sending message to "mainusr" (0-0990871405-0990871405-0)
-----------------------------

The "column7" column is the timestamp. As we can see, '02:18:14.125
2006/01/18' value has been replicated. This is an insertion that has been
replicated from the consolidated to the remote db (this log belongs to the
remote db).

Consolidated database settings:
PUBLIC.'SR_TimeStamp_Format' = 'hh:nn:ss.Ssssss yyyy/mm/dd'
PUBLIC.'Timestamp_Format' = 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS.SSS';

I believe both of this are defaults. ASA 9.0.2.2551

>BTW If you have ASE in the picture,

errr.. not really :)

> you should ensure that you are configured not to use the 6 digit precision
> as the ASE datetime is not as precise and is only accurate to the first
> three digits.

but it's always good to know. Thanks!

Please let me know if you need any more information. Thank you very much
Pavel

0
Pavel
1/18/2006 8:10:31 AM
What happens when you change the PUBLIC.Timestamp_Format to have 6 digits of
precision?

I suspect that all of your values in the consolidated have been limited to 3
digits of precision which would mean that you don't have 6 digits available
to send to the remote.

Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
 choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

"Pavel Karady" <pavel_ns.ns_karady@ns_kogerusa.com> wrote in message
>> What is your setting for SR_Timestamp_Format. The SR_Timestamp_Format is
>> the SQL Remote timestamp setting.
>
> I did not know about this setting. I was very excited when I went to
> retrieve the value of it quickly, but unfortunately, it contained six
> digits in the fraction of second.
>
> Here's a clear fragment from the remote log:
> -----------------------------
> I. 01/18 02:22:49. Received message from "mainusr"
> (0-01024082280-01024082820-0)
> I. 01/18 02:22:49. Applying message from "mainusr"
> (0-01024082280-01024082820-0)
> I. 01/18 02:22:49. INSERT INTO
> DBA.table(column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6,
>
>                         column7)
>
>                   VALUES ('XXX','username','2006/01/18','*******','Login
> Successful','username','02:18:14.125 2006/01/18')
> I. 01/18 02:22:49. COMMIT
> I. 01/18 02:22:50. Sending message to "mainusr"
> (0-0990871405-0990871405-0)
> -----------------------------
>
> The "column7" column is the timestamp. As we can see, '02:18:14.125
> 2006/01/18' value has been replicated. This is an insertion that has been
> replicated from the consolidated to the remote db (this log belongs to the
> remote db).
>
> Consolidated database settings:
> PUBLIC.'SR_TimeStamp_Format' = 'hh:nn:ss.Ssssss yyyy/mm/dd'
> PUBLIC.'Timestamp_Format' = 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS.SSS';
>
> I believe both of this are defaults. ASA 9.0.2.2551
>
>>BTW If you have ASE in the picture,
>
> errr.. not really :)
>
>> you should ensure that you are configured not to use the 6 digit
>> precision as the ASE datetime is not as precise and is only accurate to
>> the first three digits.
>
> but it's always good to know. Thanks!
>
> Please let me know if you need any more information. Thank you very much
> Pavel

0
Rob

Replicating trigger action with SQL remote (SQL/Anywhere)
I need to replicate the actions of a trigger in one of my tables. I've tried to use the -t option when running dbremote, but this still does not replicate the trigger actions. Is there a solution to this problem? I need to replicate the action of the trigger because I'm trying to do the following: I need a sigle unique id for record in a table, and that table may be inserted into at any number of remote databases, and at the consolidated database. I've used an autoincrement column and a current publisher column as the actual unique primary key, and have another column ...

Future of SQL Remote
Hi, SQL Remote will be not longer evolved - is that true? Where should I looking for more inforamtion about future of Sybase replication tools? Thanks Krystian Pasted from another post : SQL Remote continues to be an important technology offering from iAnywhere Solutions and Sybase. SQL Remote continues to have thousands of customers using it successfully in production deployments. SQL Remote will continue to be supported and enhanced for the foreseeable future. Chris Kleisath Director of Engineering iAnywhere Solutions ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloa...

SQL Anywhere 8.0.2 SQL Remote FTP replication problems
Hi all, I have a problem setting up the FTP message control parameters with SQL Remote. I use the SET REMOTE FTP OPTION statement to do this. See an example. Considering a remote user with name 'pippo'... SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.host = 'my_host'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.user = 'mickey'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.password = 'mouse'; SET REMOTE FTP OPTION pippo.root_directory = 'root_dir'; These four statements set FTP parameters for the pippo database user. This means that I want that the user pippo gain access to the replicati...

SQL Remote Replication
Anybody tried using SQL remote to do replication between two ASE? I don't need Replication Server just basic replication. since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, I thought why not give it a try! Hi, I just started research on SQL-Anywhere Remote using FILE and MAPI as well. It's a realy nice feature, cause I do update data not so offten. So, just try it out. BTW what means ASE Chriss BH Ong schrieb in Nachricht <01befd97$8f8994c0$7ccdc8c8@virtual-branch>... >Anybody tried using SQL remote to do replication between two ASE? I don't >need Replication Ser...

SQL Remote Replication
I would like to use SQL Remote Replication over a telephone modem connection with a FILE type link. The app I am working on is being written in VB and contains an embedded Sybase DB (i.e. Only the DB and required run time files are distributed). The manuals show a tutorial on one PC, which works fine. It also refers to a simple file transfer mechanism that can be used to exchange files periodically to effect replication. It doesn't say which files should be transferred and to what directories? Does anyone have a specific example on how this can be done? The modem connection ...

Future of SQL Remote
Hi, SQL Remote will be not longer evolved - is that true? Where should I looking for more inforamtion about future of Sybase replication tools? Thanks Krystian You would post to the product_futures_discussion newsgroup. -- David Fishburn Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Professional Services Please only post to the newsgroup EBFs and Maintenance Releases http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm Whitepapers http://www.sybase.com/developer/mobile/ CaseXpress - to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com "Krystian Soba�ski, Eur...

SQL Remote replication problem
We have an ASA 7.0.3.2046 setup with several branches replicating to and from a consolidated database via SQL Remote. At each end we have the following trigger on one of our tables: alter trigger DBA.tub_item before update on auction.item referencing old as old_upd new as new_upd for each row begin if current remote user is null then set new_upd.last_modified_by=current user; set new_upd.date_last_modified=getdate(*) end if end The problem that sometimes occurs is this. A user updates a field on the item table, which fires the trigger. The update action and the tr...

sql remote with replication enterprise
can I run sql remote and replication enterprise on the same machine? My system has 3 units ASA --- ASE --- ASE so the middle one need to replicate with ASA and ASE on the same machine. In order to have SSRemote and the Rep Agent for ASE run on the same database you must use SSQueue. This was available in a 5.5.04 EBF, which also means you must be at least at 5.5.04 of SSRemote. Please contact technical support and ask for an EBF for 5.5.04, including SSQueue. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please post only to the news group. Songrit Leemakdej wrote in message ... >can...

ASA Replication With SQL Remote
We are beginning with a replication among two databases ASA 7.0. We use SQL Remote to achieve that goal. First, we create users publisher and remote, after we create publications and articles. At last we did extract process for create remote database. In each site, we launch Replication Agents using SMTP. Changes in Consolidated Database replicates in Remote Database but changes in Remote Database has no effect on Consolidated Database. Someone can tell us Which are basics troubleshooting for replication using SMTP and SQL Remote? Why Remote Database does not replicate to Co...

ASE Replicator or SQL Remote
We have several 11.9.x servers running on RH Linux that we need a simple replication solution for. These severs will be upgraded to 12.5 over a year or so. Rep sever seems overkill. I have been looking at the new ASE Replicator in 12.5 and SQL Remote that was designed for 11.9.x. Here are my questions: If I set up one 12.5 db and use it as the primary database can it publish data to the 11.9.x servers? Is SQL Remote going to be a supported product or is Sybase encouraging users to move to Replicator? Does SQL Remote run on Linux? Which is eaiser, more reliable? T...

SQL Remote and ASE Replicator
Hello, Is it possible to use SQL Remote and ASE Replicator on the same database? SQL Remote and Replication Server for example have such capability when you use ssqueue. -- JT Both the ASE replicator and SQL Remote for ASE need to exclusively manage ASE's secondary truncation point in order to identify the oldest data page in syslogs that they need to start scanning from. There is only 1 secondary truncation point, and by the nature of it, it can not be shared between processes to identify more than one page. This is why we included the SSQueue as a solution for an ASE ...

Security in SQL Remote replication
Hi, everybody! Does anyone know, how replication messages (sent via e-mail) are secured? What kind of encoding algorithm is used? Is it safe? Is it dificult to decode messages? Thanks, Tomek The messages are encoded, but not encrypted. The encoding is meant to stop casual viewers from reading the data in your messages, but is no intended to stop serious hackers. If security is a concern, you can always write your own encoding dll. Check out the following section of the manual : Replication and Synchronization Guide PART 3. SQL Remote CHAPTER 18. SQL Remote...

SQL remote replication stops
Hello, I have a problem with SQL Remote replications via FILE (the same with another message types). dbremote 7.0.4.3489 dbtran and dblog are not showing any errors. there is no gap/space in log files. Remote site is only getting messages from consolidated, but nothing sending to consolidated. When dbremote starts, it shows correct start of transaction log, starting scan and finishing without any outcoming message. Seems like dbremote is not scaning log or checking bad offsets. .. I. 10/27 15:57:03. Transaction log "c:\test\03101600.LOG" starts at offset 0006864...

Replication Server and SQL Remote
Hi, I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and DBRemote toghether. I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers). According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with Rep Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the central site. We are thinking in the following products: * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1) * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote. * Remote Sites disconn...

Web resources about - SQL remote TIMESTAMP replication - sybase.sqlanywhere.futures

DNA replication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DNA replication is a biological process that occurs in all living organisms and copies their DNA ; it is the basis for biological inheritance ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Google deprecates old App Engine datastore in favor of High-Replication version
Google is deprecating the Master/Slave Datastore used by its cloud platform App Engine in favor of the High-Replication Datastore (HRD), which ...