Separation of Server administrators and Database administrators

Currently there is no separation between database administrators and service
administrators. Any administrator of any running database can start and stop
each other database and even worse, can stop the network server instance. In
many installations this is just not acceptable. For example, if there are
two departments running "their" databases on a shared network server
instance, the network server's administrator doesn't like the idea that
department A can shut down department B's databases. Also he is not happy
that any database server administrator can (by incident or by intention)
shut down the network server instance.

In several other DBMS, there is a clear separation between the administrator
of the network server, and the administrators of each single database.
Neither can the database administrators stop the network service nor any
other database but the one they are defined in, nor can the network
administrators look inside the data or schema of a particular database. This
is a big benefit for stability, safety and security.

After eleven versions of SQL Anywhere I think now there is the time that SQL
Anywhere learns the difference between database administrators and network
administrators.

Please add this separation to SQL Anywhere 12.

Thanks
Markus

0
Markus
11/15/2008 4:56:25 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.futures 1193 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Database administration for runtime SQLAnywhere?
How are people administering a runtime database supposed to add users and grant privileges? The DDK installer only installs the runtime engine, not any utilities such as ISQL or Sybase Central. Can I deploy Sybase Central as well? Or am I supposed to write my own utilities? I took a look at writing my own utility, but apparently PB does not support embedded grant and revoke statements. "Matt Leo" <Matt@acrcorp.removethis.com> wrote: >I took a look at writing my own utility, but apparently PB does not support >embedded grant and revoke statements. ...

Sql Server Database Administration Web Application
Hi All, I will shortly (hopefully) begin devleoping an ASP.Net web application to let users manage a remote sql server 2005 database (kind of like the php myAdmin tool for MySQL databases). Were not talking a server managament tool for DBAs, more an end user tool for managing personal databases (it seems that web hosting companies provide tools for MySQL, but if you use SQL Server, you're stuck unless you have management tools on your PC - and what about mac users?).Given that premise, what features should i attempt to include? Creating and modifying tables structures and data is an...

Web Site Administration Tool
Hello I have a access database in my site. when i want to configure the login control the Web Site Administration Tool give me the message: Unable to connect to SQL Server database I have to use the sql server database? Thank youMario Lopes Try to add a new provider on the "Provider" page of the WAT. If you are working on VS2005, Go to menu Website - ASP.Net Configuration and on Providers tab verify or change your provider to MS Access DB. Yes i'm working with vs2005 (in beta version i didnt had this problem) When i choose the provider tab i can't configure access because i ge...

Unable to connect to SQL Server database from the website administration tool.
Hi I have sql server 2005 local to which I am able to connect from my visual studio applications without any problem, However, when I click on the ASP.NET Configuration menu to use the website administration tool, and I click on the security tab to set users and roles,it give me an error message of "Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ". I thought it had something to do with the way my web.config file was written, but I started a new application from scratch and I couldnt do it there either. Any one can give me an idea of what could be wrong and how I could fix this? &...

Web Administrator Tool
I would like to setup the membership and role in web administrator tool, however, under Security section, I got the error message of "Unable to connect to SQL database". I tried to run aspnet_regsql.exe to edit the config(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regsql.exe), however, it still shows this error message.  I am using web developer 2008 and SQL Server 2005. Please advice me how to tackle this problem.   Thank you.       Is the SQL server on the same box?  Are you able to connect to it using other SQL client (eg...

DataBase administrator
Hello There!! I'm looking for some good data base administrator, so I can handle the ASA Data bases. I already know the Interactive SQL handler but... somehow, I just don't like it. Ideas anyone? Thanks a lot! Ricardo Alba Not sure what you are after. You mention ISQL but have you tried Sybase Central? -- Andrew Giulinn Senior Analyst/Programmer Integrated Aviation Software Pty Ltd "Ricardo Alba Medrano" <alba_ricardo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:477d6d29@forums-1-dub... > Hello There!! > > I'm looking for some good ...

Web Server and Database Server separated
Hi, Here is the scenario. Our website is hosted by hosting company. We plan to host the database at our office. The website connects to our database at our office. Is this possible? Is there a performance issue? Thanks. Dennis That certainly is possible. Things to take into mind, you have a open connection to your database server to anyone on the intranet, so you have to secure the connection via firewall and IP access control list. You might also think about creating a Web Service at the location where your database is for the application on hosts machine to access your data. Connectio...

Website Administration Tool
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2000 database on a Server 2003 machine, and my VWD 2008 express edition running on my Windows XP Pro PC. Having problems connecting to the DB via the Website Administration Tool. I can connect successfully using other pages and have retrieved data from the DB. Testing my connection works successfully. I have run the aspnet_regsql.exe and set up the aspnet_x tables in my database. But I want to set up security and cannot connect to the DB via the Website Admin Tool.  Any ideas? Is this a security / permissions issue caused by having the DB and VWD runni...

Database Administrator
Hi, I am using PowerBuilder 7.0 Build 6012. The Database Administrator option in 6.5 and previous versions has now been named as ISQL session in the one of the several tabs of one of the several window panes that open up when you hit Database Toolbar. Has anyone actually found a way to open an existing SQL file directly in this painter other than copying it from the file editor? Thanks in advance. Biju Nair. I found it!! It's right-click on the ISQL window, Paste Special, From File option... Biju "Biju Nair" <bijurk@hotmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Web Site Administration Tool very slow
I have created a website that uses forms authentication (against aspnetdb under SQL server 2000).   I managed to create a user through the "CreateUserWizard" control on my page, can authenticate my user through the  test website but are strugling endlessly to use the website admininistration tool to manage folder\file access for this user.... I open the Website Administration Tool and click on the security link...it takes literally 30 seconds before it opens the security page - something I don't really understand because everything is local on my machine. Once here ...

Asp.net Web Site Administration Tool
I am following the www.asp.net  's video tutorials in creating a secure login site. The problem is, when I reached the point where I use the Asp.Net Web Site Administration Tool, it isn't connecting to the sql server database. I'm creating a web site using Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer 2005.  Now, before this happened, I had trouble with a previous video creating a database; I went into options and discovered that it was set to my computer name/sqlexpress; I noticed that the instructions for that text field said that leaving that blank would then use the default. I delete...

Database Administration
In the database administration painter/Procedure Syntax option... When I select a particular stored procedure, many times Powerbuilder is only pulling up the first 10 or 20 lines of the procedure. We are running PB 6.5 Build 444 against SQL Server 7.0. We are using the native driver pbmss60.dll (169 KB, 12/21/1999). Any ideas? ...

Shocking news
Yes, I have been so distracted trying to get Windows authentication working on my project, experimenting with various NTFS permissions etc, that I must have denied administrator access to an important directory, whilst logged in as administrator :( What can I do?? Anthony got the answer: "To get access again to the folder you have to log in as an administrator and take ownership of the folder. Once you are the owner you can then change security permissions. To take ownership right click the folder and select properties, select the security tab. There should be a button that sa...

server error message. Server doesn't have administrative privileges?
Hi there, I met following error message in JaguarCTS server log(srv.log) when I tried to connect Jaguar as WinNT OS User instead of jagadmin. I checked check box 'Enable OS Authentication' in Security tab of Jaguar Server Properties. I want to know exact meaning of following messages and how can I fix following problems? --------------------------------------------- Jun 04 10:37:24 1999: SQLException after JDBC getConnection():JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused Jun 04 10:37:42 1999: AFLIB Message: 18046/11/0: Couldn't authent...

Web resources about - Separation of Server administrators and Database administrators - sybase.sqlanywhere.futures

List of Administrators of Chandigarh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dick Smith appoints McGrath Nicol as administrator
Dick Smith has gone into voluntary administration, with receivers appointed to try to claw back debt owed to the company's creditors.

Dick Smith appoints McGrath Nicol as administrator
Dick Smith has gone into voluntary administration, with receivers appointed to try to claw back debt owed to the company's creditors.

Dick Smith appoints McGrath Nicol as administrator
Dick Smith has gone into voluntary administration, with receivers appointed to try to claw back debt owed to the company's creditors.

Dick Smith appoints McGrath Nicol as administrator
Dick Smith has gone into voluntary administration, with receivers appointed to try to claw back debt owed to the company's creditors.

Arthur Galan calls in the administrators
Myer was caught out by the appointment of administrators to Australian fashion label Arthur Galan, which it lured over from David Jones in 2011. ...

Yale president supports administrators involved in Halloween email - Business Insider Deutschland
Yale President Peter Salovey voiced his support of two administrators involved in a Halloween email controversy.

Fox Lake Cop Joe Gliniewicz Considered ‘Hit’ On Village Administrator
Months before an Illinois police officer staged his suicide to look like murder he tried to find a hit man to kill a village administrator he ...

Officer tried to take out 'hit' on city administrator - CNN.com
The story about police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz of Fox Lake, Illinois, becomes more twisted by the day.

The Revolution Devours Its College Administrators
The very people who enabled campus insanity are now its primary targets