How to Handel PB Native Source Control When Migrating from PB 8 to PB 9

Is there a special process for migrating and preserving PB
Native Source Control History?  We are migrating from PB 8
under PB Native Source Control to PB 9.  Our plan is to
setup a seperate PB 9 machine.  Then, checkout all our PB 8
objects on the source machine and copy them over to the PB 9
machine for migration.  Once we get a clean build on the PB
9 machine, we would check all the objects back in.  Is this
the correct way to do it?

Thanks,

Bob Olsen
0
bolsen
4/26/2004 4:13:41 PM
sybase.source-control 1715 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There should be no need to check the objects out before the migration.

I would:
- Create a new Local Root Folder for the PB9 code.
- Create a new Project folder out on the LAN (leave it empty for now)
- Copy the existing PB8 local root folder over to the new PB9 folder.
- Open the workspace in PB9 - you'll be prompted for the migration process.
- One the migration completes, register all the objects in the new PB9 project folder.  They'll be at rev 1.0.

If everything looks good, delete the PB8 local root folders and Project folder.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

<bolsen@crestcomtech.com> wrote in message news:408d3531.33a4.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Is there a special process for migrating and preserving PB
> Native Source Control History?  We are migrating from PB 8
> under PB Native Source Control to PB 9.  Our plan is to
> setup a seperate PB 9 machine.  Then, checkout all our PB 8
> objects on the source machine and copy them over to the PB 9
> machine for migration.  Once we get a clean build on the PB
> 9 machine, we would check all the objects back in.  Is this
> the correct way to do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Olsen

0
Paul
4/26/2004 6:35:41 PM
> There should be no need to check the objects out before
> the migration.
>
> I would:
> - Create a new Local Root Folder for the PB9 code.
> - Create a new Project folder out on the LAN (leave it
> empty for now) - Copy the existing PB8 local root folder
> over to the new PB9 folder. - Open the workspace in PB9 -
> you'll be prompted for the migration process. - One the
> migration completes, register all the objects in the new
> PB9 project folder.  They'll be at rev 1.0.
>
> If everything looks good, delete the PB8 local root
> folders and Project folder.
>
> --
> Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
>
> <bolsen@crestcomtech.com> wrote in message
> > news:408d3531.33a4.1681692777@sybase.com... Is there a
> > special process for migrating and preserving PB Native
> > Source Control History?  We are migrating from PB 8
> > under PB Native Source Control to PB 9.  Our plan is to
> setup a seperate PB 9 machine.  Then, checkout all our PB
> > 8 objects on the source machine and copy them over to
> > the PB 9 machine for migration.  Once we get a clean
> > build on the PB 9 machine, we would check all the
> > objects back in.  Is this the correct way to do it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob Olsen
>
> Paul,
We want to preserve the previous history of the objects.  We
don't want them at rev 1.0
0
Bob
4/26/2004 7:17:02 PM
<Bob Olsen bolsen@crestcomtech.com> wrote in message news:408d602c.360d.1681692777@sybase.com...

> > Paul,
> We want to preserve the previous history of the objects.  We
> don't want them at rev 1.0

Remember that PBNative is *NOT* source control, it's simply a mechanism for preventing concurrent access to object code.
If you want to reliably track revision history, I'd suggest investing in a *real* SCC package.  There are some cheap,
fairly functional packages out there.

In theory (I don't have PB8 installed, so I can't test this...), one approach would be to save off the existing .PRP
files, and replace them after re-registering the objects.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]

0
Paul

do anyone know how to run both PB 10 & PB 10.5 with PB Native Source Code Control.
PB 10.5 wipes off the source code control entry in registry. thanks vsv Make sure you have the following registry key set properly: HKLM\Software\SourceCodeControlProvider\Installed SCCProviders The PB Native string value should be set to: Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder\10.5\Native SCC Then go to this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Sybase\PowerBuilder\10.5\Native SCC The SccServername key should be: PB Native SCC The SccServerPath key should be: C:\Program Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\PBNAT105.DLL << or the actual location of this DLL >> 9, 10.2 and 10.5 can all ...

PB Native Source Control with PB 10.2
I am using PB 10.2 build#9004 and trying to setup source control to the source pbls on a server. The process of Initialization started about 24 hours ago and got stuck after completing first four pbls. I have 20 other pbls in the list. All objects have a "+" sign that are not initialized. Now the question is do I keep it active or do I have to restart the process in a different folder? Thanks, Rahul Object registration should take no more than a few minutes, depending on how many source objects/pbls you have... >>to the source pbls on a server That's a pr...

PB 8 Native Source Control
Could someone explain me how to setup the native source control for PB 8. Previously (PB 7) we had local copies of all network PBL's and one additional local library for checkout purposes. We checkout from the network to this additional library. After checkin we synchronized network pbl's with local pbl's using a sync tool. What is the equivalent setup in PB 8? Thanks. Here's some info you can see..Check out Paul Horran's articles here: http://www.sys-con.com/pbdj/ 10 steps to setup powerbuilder and 3rd party source control tools http://my.sybase.co...

PB Native Source Control problem
Hi everyone, I'm using PowerBuilder 10.5.2 (build 6684) and ran into .pbg files out of sync problem. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that still has the 7564 build (that fixed the bug) or any tips on how to manage GLV after the .pbg files are generated to reflect the latest library changes? Regards, Petra "the PBG files out of sync problem"?? Do you have a case number I can reference? I've not heard of this.. The PBG files get updated whenever someone adds a new object to source control. When other developers do a GLV on the target...

PB 9 Native Source Control Problems
I'm posting this again today because I did not get a response and wanted to try one more time if anyone is experiencing the below issue. Thanks! Does anyone know if there are any issues with PB9 Native Source Control where get latest version does not show/detect that an object was changed and checked in? This has been happening in our environment lately - get latest version doesn't always work, get a variety of errors. If so, has PB 10 corrected these issues with this source control. We never had problems with PB 6.5 and 8.0 in this area. Thanks for any experiences sha...

A Issue About PB Source Control (Continuus/CM for PB )
I use Continuus/CM(ver 5.1) for PB5 and PB7 . but failed ! Is there anybody have experience about this? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thnaks It may also help if you eloborated on the meaning of failed. PB uses a common interface (SCC) to access version control tools so it is possible that the failure is not related to the tool used but other reasons. /ck "yxb" <yxbleaf@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:t8uukcTJBHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > I use Continuus/CM(ver 5.1) for PB5 and PB7 . > but failed ! > Is there anybody have experience a...

how to remove object from PB 8 native source control
We are using PB8.0.1 b9056 We use PB's native source control. Setup as described by Sybase. Source control works fine for existing objects and for adding objects to the source control. But how do we remove and delete obsolete objects from source control? Thanks. Mathieu. You have to "unregister" the object from source control first (so the Icon goes back to the plus sign), then you can delete it from the PBL. Also, you'll want to remove the exported source file from the SCC "working folder". Perhaps just moving it to an "obsolete" fol...

Need a good Source Control for PB 8 or 9
We currently are using version 8 and 9 of Power Builder. We currently are using the Native Source control and its not working very well for us. Does anybody have any suggestions to a good source control for PB. (i.e. Visual SourceSafe). Thanks in advance. You might want to search over in the source_control group, as that question has been asked and answered a number of times. On 18 May 2004 06:59:03 -0700, Dave wrote: >We currently are using version 8 and 9 of Power Builder. We >currently are using the Native Source control and its not >working very well for us. D...

PB 9 native source control and new PFC pbls
We are using PB9 the native PB 9 source control and just upgraded from build PB 9.0 #5507 to PB9.01 #6533. What is the process used to to upgrade all of the PFC pbls to the latest version when using the native PB9 source control?? Can you just copy all of the new PFC pbls to your local drive?? Do you remove the PFC pbls from source control, copy the PFC pbls, then add the PBLs to source control???? What is the correct method? If you're completely replacing the source code PBLs, then the process I would use is: - Unregister all the objects (Remove from Source Control) - Swap in t...

PB 12 broke my source control settings in other PB versions
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4c6c0f84 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Just noticed that after installing PB 12 that my source control settings for my 10.5 and 11.5 workspaces were altered. I got the attached error in 10.5. Why exactly is 10.5 now looking into a 12.0 folder for SCC properties? ---=_forums-1-dub4c6c0f84 Content-Type: image/gif; name="pb12_visual_diff.gif" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="pb12_visual_diff.gif"...

PB crashes while migrating pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0
Hi, I am trying migrate a pb application from PB 8.0 to 9.0. It crashes while rebuilding for migration. Is there anything needs to be taken care before the migrating it to pb 9.0 ? Thanks, Mohan Same as any other version: - backup - optimize all PBLs - run Migration Assistant in destination version; try to deal with as much as possible in original version - full build, with information and warning messages turned on, so you know which messages after migration aren't new - backup, backup, backup - migrate - if it crashes, try again and watch messages to see if you ca...

PB 8 and source control
Hi We develop a rather large application with about 6000 objects in source control. We are using MSVSS 6.0 Build 9447 as source control. We have tried a several time to move up from PB7 to PB8 (last 8.0.3 9704) but yet we haven't been able to do a GetLatestVersion on our project. First of all it takes about � hour to import all objects and then about 1 hour to regenerate all objects. But PB8 then don't seem able to keep track of the inheretance of objects because we are geting error messages like functions not found and objects not found when regenerating. Has anyone else exp...

PB 8 Source Control
I am using PVCS Source Control with PB8. We use PFC with a corporate layer. How do I add PFC to a multiple targets and have the PFC objects locked? The docs on Using Source Control are pretty basic and the Technical Document "PowerBuilder Source Control Recommended Setup" is wrong for PB8. Is there any more in-depth documentation available or planned? Ask Roy Kiesler. <g> Mike Niemann, PBBrowser Author <Dan_McCarthy> wrote in message news:4EC2A8E975A944E30048D6FA85256AEF.0048D70A85256AEF@webforums... > I am using PVCS Source Control with PB8. We use ...

PB Native Source Control
We are a small company with just a couple of developers in locations spread apart from each other. For source control, we lived in a simple environment where we had a master set of PBL's on a Citrix server and we checked objects out to our local machines. We synchronized the PBL's on the server to our local hard drives using an old copy of PBSync. Not particularly speedy, but it fit our needs well. We could do builds locally or on the server by not including our work PBLs. This whole scheme no longer works with PB8. As I understand the new world of Source Control: ...

Web resources about - How to Handel PB Native Source Control When Migrating from PB 8 to PB 9 - sybase.source-control

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...