San replication for replication server

Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk with
the intention of replication the stable queues and RSSD to a
DR sire via SAN replication
In other words replicate the entire replication server
across the SAN and bring it up whe DR is invoked

would there be any datalose on teh stables queues ?
any issues
0
David
11/13/2008 11:44:00 AM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

David wrote:
> Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk with
> the intention of replication the stable queues and RSSD to a
> DR sire via SAN replication
> In other words replicate the entire replication server
> across the SAN and bring it up whe DR is invoked
>
> would there be any datalose on teh stables queues ?
> any issues

If you're talking about SAN level replication, the only data loss would
be anything that isn't written to disk.  Since this is replication
server, that's really not a big problem.

Jason L. Froebe
Team Sybase
http://www.froebe.net/blog

No one has seen what you have seen, and until that happens, we're all
going to think that you're nuts. - Jack O'Neil, Stargate SG-1
0
Jason
11/15/2008 6:29:28 PM
> Yes I am talkign about SAN Level replication
i.e puttign a replication server on SAN replication so that
if the to systems go down we can bring them back up , plus
their Replication server in DR,

I no that teh RSSD can be replicated , just curiuos about
whether the stable queues would have an issue with being
replicated via SAL level replication

David wrote:
> > Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk
> > with the intention of replication the stable queues and
> > RSSD to a DR sire via SAN replication
> > In other words replicate the entire replication server
> > across the SAN and bring it up whe DR is invoked
> >
> > would there be any datalose on teh stables queues ?
> > any issues
>
> If you're talking about SAN level replication, the only
> data loss would  be anything that isn't written to disk.
> Since this is replication  server, that's really not a big
> problem.
>
> --
>
> --
> Jason L. Froebe
> Team Sybase
> http://www.froebe.net/blog
>
> No one has seen what you have seen, and until that happens
> , we're all  going to think that you're nuts. - Jack
> O'Neil, Stargate SG-1
0
David
11/17/2008 11:43:29 AM
This is a sincere inquery.  We sincerely want to learn what
the benefits are by using storage replication to replicate a
database/transactional replication solution.

To better understand your environment, is it okay if we
ask... Is your replication solution a Warm Standby solution
or a MSA solution (Multiple-Site Availability)?  Is the
replication server you want to replicate (via storage
replication) located on your primary site and not your DR
site?  I'm assuming the answer is yes.  If yes, is there a
reason why your replication server is not located on the DR
site instead?

Sincere question, what are the benefits of replicating the
stable queues and the RSSD using storage replication?  If
you switch to your DR site, will you still need to continue
replication (i.e. because your repserver is in your primary
site and is a MSA solution)?  Is this correct?

Please forgive us, we know very little about your
environment and sure you have good reason to do so.  That's
is why we would like to learn more.  Maybe we can learn from
what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you,

Chuck Chong

> Has anyone ever put a replication server on SAN disk with
> the intention of replication the stable queues and RSSD to
> a DR sire via SAN replication
> In other words replicate the entire replication server
> across the SAN and bring it up whe DR is invoked
>
> would there be any datalose on teh stables queues ?
> any issues
0
Chuck

Web resources about - San replication for replication server - sybase.rep-server

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...