rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51

Help!

I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt
on intel. Could you answer the following:
1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the
Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done?
2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the
Solaris side.
3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase
11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt?

Any known traps?
0
george
3/6/2001 3:43:03 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

george wrote:

> Help!
>
> I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt
> on intel. Could you answer the following:
> 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the
> Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done?

no, you have to move the data with bcp, for example. you cannot load a dump from a server on an other operating system.

> 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the
> Solaris side.

no (it would be a benefit using dump and load)

> 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase
> 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt?

you can mix different ase versions on different operating systems with one repserver. you do not need a repserver on nt.

> Any known traps?

hope it helps

0
Torsten
3/7/2001 2:01:25 PM
Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
not recommended but.......

This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that will
handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this myself?

0
george
3/7/2001 3:45:59 PM
george wrote:

> Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
> not recommended but.......
>
> This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that will
> handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this myself?

hi,

there are gui-tools like db-artisan or do it the simple way:

select 'bcp db-name..'+name+' out '+name+'.bcp -Usa -Ppasswd
-Sservername -c' from sysobjects where type = 'U'

gives you the bcp-commands for all tables.

0
Torsten
3/7/2001 5:42:00 PM
Yep, good one.

There are a few options:

use the bcp script as above:

DB atrisan (but Windoze based)

SQL backrack via logical backup/restore.

What volumes are we talking about?

Stephen Simpson
The Spirit Of The Age
h: http://www.sybase-dba.com
e: steve@sybase-dba.com
t: +44 (0)7050 648724
f: +44 (0)7050 648723
a: PO Box 3877, BH18 9YJ

SPS are proud to support http://www.repserver.com - The Sybase Replication
Server site.

"Torsten Zielinski" <zilli@lehmanns.de> wrote in message
> george wrote:
>
> > Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
> > not recommended but.......
> >
> > This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that
will
> > handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this
myself?

> hi,
>
> there are gui-tools like db-artisan or do it the simple way:
>

> select 'bcp db-name..'+name+' out '+name+'.bcp -Usa -Ppasswd
> -Sservername -c' from sysobjects where type = 'U'
>
> gives you the bcp-commands for all tables.

0
Stephen
3/7/2001 10:42:50 PM
Current database is 33 gb. Many tables but realy only 2 with about 15 gb.
0
George
3/8/2001 4:16:13 PM
George wrote:

> Current database is 33 gb. Many tables but realy only 2 with about 15 gb.

hi,

the solution for large tables:

enable fast bcp (enable bcp as db-option and delete all triggers and
indexes on the traget-table)

use sqsh, you can get it from

http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/

with sqsh you can use the sqsh-bcp for transmitting the data without
writing them on disk!

you connect to your source db-server and then

1> select * from {table}
2> \bcp -b500 -U{user} -P{password} -S{destination-server}
{db}.[owner].{table}

you can manage the bulk-size with the -b option!

0
Torsten
3/9/2001 11:47:21 AM
Ok I got sqsh and it works but.....if I need to bcp the large tables in
sections how do I now specify the first and last rows as I am used to?
0
George
3/9/2001 9:58:40 PM
George wrote:

> Ok I got sqsh and it works but.....if I need to bcp the large tables in
> sections how do I now specify the first and last rows as I am used to?

do a where-clause in the select statement! so you can bulk parallel, if
you have more than one engine and a partitioned table!

0
Torsten
3/12/2001 10:11:44 AM
Yeah...i figured that would be the answer...also this engine seems to be
quicker than regular bcp; is that so? The dba at the site indicates it took
her three times as much time to bcp out to a flatfile and then bcp into
another server on the same table 23+ million rows. Until I do a compare
thought i would bounce this one off of you..could the DBA be correct that
this bcp is that much faster?
0
George
3/12/2001 4:06:15 PM
George wrote:

> Yeah...i figured that would be the answer...also this engine seems to be
> quicker than regular bcp; is that so? The dba at the site indicates it took
> her three times as much time to bcp out to a flatfile and then bcp into
> another server on the same table 23+ million rows. Until I do a compare
> thought i would bounce this one off of you..could the DBA be correct that
> this bcp is that much faster?

normally the sqsh bcp uses the same libraries like then open client bcp.
but if you do it with select * and bcp in one statement, you have no
physical writes in between!

0
Torsten

Dump from NT ASE 11.5 to NT ASE 11.5.1
I am having trouble dumping a 11.5 ASE database to a 11.5.1 backupserver. I have the remote backupserver listed in the 11.5 remote servers list. It works going from the 11.5.1 machine to the 11.5 machine. Is there a compatibility issue? Thank you for your time. Dax daj@abmdata.com What do you mean by 'having trouble'? Are you getting error messages? If so, what error messages? Any error messages in the backupserver errorlog? Is the dump command hanging? not completing? What is the actual dump command that you're using? Does the target tape/director...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

Upgrading ASE 11.5(repsrv 11.5.1) to 11.92 on solaris
Hi Sybase Rep Guru's, I want to upgrade my Sybase ASE from 11.5on Sub Solaris 2.6/2.7 to 11.9.2 for bettar performace and stablitiy. We are Replicating our database to a reporting server. When I upgrade My ASE to 11.9.2 will there be any problems with the rep server being 11.5.1 are there any known problems or incompatibilities. Please Help Me Thanks in Advance Balaji ...

rep server 11.03 w/ ASE 11.5
Just getting started with our ASE system. Have had SQLA server-to-server replication for 2 yrs. Planning on moving/upscaling to ASE with repserver and LTM's at our SQLA sites. Q1: Can Rep Server and ASE/SQL Server reside on the same box? Q2: If so, can Rep Server 11.03 reside on the same box with ASE 11.5? Reason I ask is that after installing rep server, there seems to be a conflict of some/many of the sybase dll's (same name, different version/dates). I even chose to place rep server into a different directory, and it still hosed up my ASE installation. I am ...

Upgrading ASE for NT 11.5 to 11.5.1 and OpenClient upgrades
Hello, First, how do I get the upgrade kit to upgrade ASE for NT from 11.5 to 11.5.1? Second, does the above upgrade kit also upgrade the OpenClient libraries? I found the "EBF" files on the Sybase web site. Specifically, EBF7786.zip, which has lots of fixes for OpenClient & OpenServer 11.1.1. And EBF8015.zip, which has fixes for ASE 11.5.0. I tried applying EBF8015.zip, but when I tried to starting the server, I got the following error: The procedure entry point uniconv_unistreamToS could not be located in the dynamic link library libunic.dll. Fortunatel...

Problem with RS 11.5.1 and ASE 11.5.1
I'm having several problems with RS. The Replication System has 2 ASE (one 11.9.2 and one 11.5.1) and one RS 11.5.1. This should be a bidirectional system. But when I try to replicate from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 with text fields it gives me the following error: ERROR #5150 DSI EXEC(104(1) PORTAL_GF.portal) - /dsiexec.c(2626) Function 'rs_get_textptr' for 'HUMANED_GF' returned multiple rows. I can't understand this because I have a primary key. I also have the following problem when the RS starts: ERROR #28049 DSI(104 PORTAL_GF.portal) - sub_rsts.c(445) ...

ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5
Does anybody know if there are any problems using ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5?? We are about to upgrade from ASE 11.5.1 but want to make sure that there are no problems. We plan to upgrade Rep server also but one thing at a time. thanks William Lowers First off you'll get better performance with RS 12.1 with ASE 12.5. Does Sybase even still support RS 11.5? If you are going to take advantage of any of the new ASE 12.5 features then you will have to use RS 12.1 in order to replicate things like Java Objects, etc. There are also improvements with RS Manager and new AL...

Converting NT 11.5 ASE to a Solaris 12.5 ASE
We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris machine. The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running 12.5. So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is bcp. The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process. Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get. In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which has worked really nicely. But in this case we can't run dump and load to populate the database. Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a...

Migration from ASE 11.5 NCR to ASE 11.5 SUN
Hi everybody. I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on SUN Solaris 2.6. My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data more easy? Thanks, mpacheco@banrural.com.gt wrote... > Hi everybody. > > I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on > SUN Solaris 2.6. > > My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and > DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data ...

ASE 11.5.0 Upgrade to 11.5.1
This seems to be missing! Can anyone help me? There doesn't seem to be an update available from the Sybase web site. I only see the following ebf's: EBF 7830 - Updates from 11.5 to 11.5.0 EBF 8308 - Updates 11.5.1 only EBF 8511 - Updates 11.5.1 to 11.5.1.1 Seems to be missing an EBF to upgrade from 11.5.0 to 11.5.1? Can anyone help on this problem! TIA This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format. --------------ms28C06C4B59410586464C30D5 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------D7FD71AC228D514D4F773079" This is a multi-part mess...

Upgrade of ASE 11.5.1 to 11.5.1.1 (aka EBF 8213)
Hi, Last week we upgraded our production environment to 11.5.1.1 after recommendation from Sybase Customer Services. Unfortunaltely, due to a rather serious bug (possibly bugID 165680) in the new software, we had to downgrade after a few hours of use due to numerous communication errors received by client applications. Symptoms of this included: 1) Cancelling a query from ISQL After cancelling, no results were returned from the next command on the same session. Subsequent commands were followed by result sets from the _previous_ command. 2) General SQL error. ...

Masive storage process from ASE 11.5 to IQ 11.5 on NT !!!
Hi !!! I must move all the data weekly, from ASE 11.5 to IQ 11.5 on NT, but I do not know which is the best way of do it...my idea is to send a process than insert all the information from ASE to IQ, an after all the infromation is on IQ delete the trasmited information form de ASE, now, what I do not know is how to manage the transactions in case of some error on the process, how to rollback all if something hapen, I know than IQ do not support Begin Tran, but I think than must exist a way to do it.................. somebody do this before???? some idea.... Thank's Juan P...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

Upgrade from ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT
Are there any pitfalls, quirks or bugs in the upgrade process from ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT besides the ones listed in the Release bulletins & sybase doc books? The application that I am currently supporting is not certified for ASE 12.0 & won't be for a while. They just certified their app to run on 11.9.2 November 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Brenda Smith wrote: > > Are there any pitfalls, quirks or bugs in the upgrade process from > ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT besides the ones listed in the Release > bulletins & sybase doc books? The app...

Web resources about - rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51 - sybase.rep-server

Solaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Solari Report Blog - The Solari Report Blog
Disclaimer Nothing on The Solari Report should be taken as individual investment advice. Anyone seeking investment advice for his or her personal ...

Solaris Books
Publishers of Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Dark Fantasy

Welcome to Solaris Mobile Online » Solaris Mobile solarismobile.com
Your default description here Home About Us Services Media Contact Us Wireless Wideband Communication for the Mobile Age Solaris Mobile leads ...

Open Directory - Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Unix: Solaris
Solaris Operating System - Gateway page to knowledge base, forums, patches, hardware guide, online support center, marketing materials, product ...

Chris Solari (@chrissolari) on Twitter

Solaris - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
En grande -large size See where this picture was taken. [?]

Solaris Full Highway Scene - YouTube
Highway scene from Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972)

Oracle subpoenas Comcast in connection with Solaris support lawsuit
Oracle and Comcast are locked in a legal tussle related to Oracle's intellectual-property lawsuit against Solaris OS support providers Terix ...

Can toilet paper be a luxury product? Solaris attacks $1.4b oligopoly
Solaris Paper head Terry Hughes is going up-market with a toilet paper brand called Emporia, tackling the $1.4 billion oligopoly in Australia's ...