rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51

Help!
I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt
on intel. Could you answer the following:
1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the
Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done?
2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the
Solaris side.
3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase
11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt?
Any known traps?
0
george
3/6/2001 3:43:03 PM
📁 sybase.rep-server
📃 2969 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 10 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1048 Views

george wrote:
> Help!
>
> I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt
> on intel. Could you answer the following:
> 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the
> Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done?
no, you have to move the data with bcp, for example. you cannot load a dump from a server on an other operating system.
> 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the
> Solaris side.
no (it would be a benefit using dump and load)
> 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase
> 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt?

you can mix different ase versions on different operating systems with one repserver. you do not need a repserver on nt.
> Any known traps?
hope it helps
0
Torsten
3/7/2001 2:01:25 PM
Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
not recommended but.......
This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that will
handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this myself?
0
george
3/7/2001 3:45:59 PM
george wrote:
> Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
> not recommended but.......
>
> This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that will
> handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this myself?
hi,
there are gui-tools like db-artisan or do it the simple way:

select 'bcp db-name..'+name+' out '+name+'.bcp -Usa -Ppasswd
-Sservername -c' from sysobjects where type = 'U'
gives you the bcp-commands for all tables.
0
Torsten
3/7/2001 5:42:00 PM
Yep, good one.
There are a few options:
use the bcp script as above:
DB atrisan (but Windoze based)
SQL backrack via logical backup/restore.
What volumes are we talking about?
Stephen Simpson
The Spirit Of The Age
h: http://www.sybase-dba.com
e: steve@sybase-dba.com
t: +44 (0)7050 648724
f: +44 (0)7050 648723
a: PO Box 3877, BH18 9YJ
SPS are proud to support http://www.repserver.com - The Sybase Replication
Server site.
"Torsten Zielinski" <zilli@lehmanns.de> wrote in message
> george wrote:
>
> > Thanks much. You are confirming my worst fears. I was hoping to hear its
> > not recommended but.......
> >
> > This db is largish but many tables. Are there any tools out there that
will
> > handle the bcp out and in automatically or do I need to build this
myself?

> hi,
>
> there are gui-tools like db-artisan or do it the simple way:
>

> select 'bcp db-name..'+name+' out '+name+'.bcp -Usa -Ppasswd
> -Sservername -c' from sysobjects where type = 'U'
>
> gives you the bcp-commands for all tables.

0
Stephen
3/7/2001 10:42:50 PM
Current database is 33 gb. Many tables but realy only 2 with about 15 gb.
0
George
3/8/2001 4:16:13 PM
George wrote:
> Current database is 33 gb. Many tables but realy only 2 with about 15 gb.
hi,
the solution for large tables:
enable fast bcp (enable bcp as db-option and delete all triggers and
indexes on the traget-table)
use sqsh, you can get it from
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/

with sqsh you can use the sqsh-bcp for transmitting the data without
writing them on disk!
you connect to your source db-server and then
1> select * from {table}
2> \bcp -b500 -U{user} -P{password} -S{destination-server}
{db}.[owner].{table}
you can manage the bulk-size with the -b option!
0
Torsten
3/9/2001 11:47:21 AM
Ok I got sqsh and it works but.....if I need to bcp the large tables in
sections how do I now specify the first and last rows as I am used to?
0
George
3/9/2001 9:58:40 PM
George wrote:
> Ok I got sqsh and it works but.....if I need to bcp the large tables in
> sections how do I now specify the first and last rows as I am used to?
do a where-clause in the select statement! so you can bulk parallel, if
you have more than one engine and a partitioned table!
0
Torsten
3/12/2001 10:11:44 AM
Yeah...i figured that would be the answer...also this engine seems to be
quicker than regular bcp; is that so? The dba at the site indicates it took
her three times as much time to bcp out to a flatfile and then bcp into
another server on the same table 23+ million rows. Until I do a compare
thought i would bounce this one off of you..could the DBA be correct that
this bcp is that much faster?
0
George
3/12/2001 4:06:15 PM
George wrote:
> Yeah...i figured that would be the answer...also this engine seems to be
> quicker than regular bcp; is that so? The dba at the site indicates it took
> her three times as much time to bcp out to a flatfile and then bcp into
> another server on the same table 23+ million rows. Until I do a compare
> thought i would bounce this one off of you..could the DBA be correct that
> this bcp is that much faster?
normally the sqsh bcp uses the same libraries like then open client bcp.
but if you do it with select * and bcp in one statement, you have no
physical writes in between!
0
Torsten