rep server 11.03 w/ ASE 11.5

Just getting started with our ASE system.  Have had SQLA server-to-server
replication for 2 yrs.  Planning on moving/upscaling to ASE with repserver
and LTM's at our SQLA sites.

Q1:

Can Rep Server and ASE/SQL Server reside on the same box?

Q2:

If so, can Rep Server 11.03 reside on the same box with ASE 11.5?  Reason I
ask is that after installing rep server, there seems to be a conflict of
some/many of the sybase dll's (same name, different version/dates).  I even
chose to place rep server into a different directory, and it still hosed up
my ASE installation.

I am planning on running the two on different boxes for production, but I
would like to be able to install/run the two in harmony on my test server
just so I can play while I get used to it/them.

Thanks,
Scot Lovdahl
Data Administrator
Illinois Dept. of Corrections

0
Scot
1/31/1998 1:27:55 PM
sybase.rep-server 2969 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Scot Lovdahl wrote:

> Just getting started with our ASE system.  Have had SQLA server-to-server
> replication for 2 yrs.  Planning on moving/upscaling to ASE with repserver
> and LTM's at our SQLA sites.
>
> Q1:
>
> Can Rep Server and ASE/SQL Server reside on the same box?
>
> Q2:
>
> If so, can Rep Server 11.03 reside on the same box with ASE 11.5?  Reason I
> ask is that after installing rep server, there seems to be a conflict of
> some/many of the sybase dll's (same name, different version/dates).  I even
> chose to place rep server into a different directory, and it still hosed up
> my ASE installation.
>
> I am planning on running the two on different boxes for production, but I
> would like to be able to install/run the two in harmony on my test server
> just so I can play while I get used to it/them.
>
> Thanks,
> Scot Lovdahl
> Data Administrator
> Illinois Dept. of Corrections

  Scot -

    I recently posted a similar qustion, and have since resolved the issue...

    The trick, in my case, was to install RepServer 11.0.3 (including its OC
components) FIRST, and then install ASE 11.5 (and its OC components)
into the same tree.  If I tried to install RSM (Rep Server Manager 11.0),
the entire installation bit the dust, so I manage the system with scripts.

    Hope this helps.

-Mike

0
Michael
1/31/1998 3:31:01 PM
Scot Lovdahl wrote:

> Just getting started with our ASE system.  Have had SQLA server-to-server
> replication for 2 yrs.  Planning on moving/upscaling to ASE with repserver
> and LTM's at our SQLA sites.
>
> Q1:
>
> Can Rep Server and ASE/SQL Server reside on the same box?
>
> Q2:
>
> If so, can Rep Server 11.03 reside on the same box with ASE 11.5?  Reason I
> ask is that after installing rep server, there seems to be a conflict of
> some/many of the sybase dll's (same name, different version/dates).  I even
> chose to place rep server into a different directory, and it still hosed up
> my ASE installation.
>
> I am planning on running the two on different boxes for production, but I
> would like to be able to install/run the two in harmony on my test server
> just so I can play while I get used to it/them.
>
> Thanks,
> Scot Lovdahl
> Data Administrator
> Illinois Dept. of Corrections

You should be able to install as many versions of Sybase software on the
same machine as you like.

At my current client we have some machines that have 3 versions of SQL,
3 versions of OC, 2 versions of RepServer and 1 version of ASE 11.5
installed on the same machine.

We install each one under it's own directory.

To make the maintenance of the interfaces file 'easy' we put a master
interfaces file in one location and then build links from each
software-version directory to this 'master' interfaces file.

I do not recommend mixing *any* of your software installs ... as you've
probably noticed, there are many similarly-named directories and files
in each install of software ... many of which use different versions of
OpenClient and/or OpenServer.  And you don't even want to think about
what's involved should you decide to 'upgrade' one of your software
packages!! In fact, we don't typically upgrade *any* software ... we
install the new stuff in it's own directory and then copy/move only the
necessary files, e.g., RUNSERVER files, *.cfg files, etc.

The key is to watch how you define your SYBASE and PATH environment
variables.  If you don't get these set right up front (before running
the install) you stand a real good chance of hosing things up real, real
good!! <g>

Also, there should be no problems in running the different versions of
software on the same machine ... we have some boxes running 2 different
versions of SQL Server and 2 versions of RepServer software on the same
box ... along with RepServer Manager to boot!  Just gotta watch your
SYBASE and PATH environment variable settings.
--

Mark Parsons
Iron Horse, Inc.
<slovdahl@idoc.state.il.us> wrote:

>Just getting started with our ASE system.  Have had SQLA server-to-server
>replication for 2 yrs.  Planning on moving/upscaling to ASE with repserver
>and LTM's at our SQLA sites.
>
>Q1:
>
>Can Rep Server and ASE/SQL Server reside on the same box?
>
>Q2:
>
>If so, can Rep Server 11.03 reside on the same box with ASE 11.5?  Reason I
>ask is that after installing rep server, there seems to be a conflict of
>some/many of the sybase dll's (same name, different version/dates).  I even
>chose to place rep server into a different directory, and it still hosed up
>my ASE installation.

(assuming you are running on NT, because you mentioned dll's). I've
managed to get this running. See http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud

0
reinoud

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5
Does anybody know if there are any problems using ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 11.5?? We are about to upgrade from ASE 11.5.1 but want to make sure that there are no problems. We plan to upgrade Rep server also but one thing at a time. thanks William Lowers First off you'll get better performance with RS 12.1 with ASE 12.5. Does Sybase even still support RS 11.5? If you are going to take advantage of any of the new ASE 12.5 features then you will have to use RS 12.1 in order to replicate things like Java Objects, etc. There are also improvements with RS Manager and new AL...

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

Rep Server and DBREMOTE against same ASE 11.5
Is anyone out there running a mix of Rep Server and Dbremote against a single ASE11.5 on NT Server. We are in the process of moving up to ASE 11.5 for a central db, and want to have rep server agents at some of our busier remote Anywhere sites. However, we would still like to run dbremote at our "lighter load" sites. In talking with a Sybase engineer a while back, he led me to believe that right now, it's one or the other, but not both against a single ASE 11.5 server. We could run rep server agent to a "middle man" SQLA server and run DBremote ot from th...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5
Couple of questions: Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5 and can I continue to use the LTM with ASE 12.5? Is ASE 12.5 backward compatible with Open client 10.0.4? Can I upgrade SQL server 11.0.3 directly to ASE 12.5? Can I upgrade Rep Server 11.0.3 directly to Rep Server 12? Any help appreciated. Thanks Hi Paul, Don't know all the Rep Server answers ... but ... > > Is Rep Server 11.0.3 compatible with ASE 12.5 and can I continue to use the > LTM with ASE 12.5? Please see http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1017401,00.html a recently published...

Rep Server 11.5
When will Rep Server 11.5 be available ? TIA John Can anyone tell me how to monitor how much network traffic is occuring because of Rep Server? If I use the command "admin statistics, md", it returns the number of messages sent, but not the amount of data in these messages. I could compare the change in the size of the database each day and divide this by the number of messages, but this is not a true indication of the network traffic. Any ideas? Can anyone tell me how to monitor how much network traffic is occuring because of Rep Server? If I use the com...

Rep server and 11.5
Is anyone out there running a rep server (which version?) against an 11.5 source or target? From the 11.5 documentation, it looks like it's possible, but I'd like to hear from someone who is doing it and get the benefit of experience before I take the leap. Thanks, David Webb Frank Russell Company This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------C2ACAF524B2EF207B1E73D87 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit We have a rep server running with 11.5...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

Rep Server 11.5 Problem
Hi everybody: I got a problem with RepServer 11.5 working on an environment using fifteen (15) replication servers. The problem was reported as a bug and in a document posted in internet (www.mysybase.com/detail?id=20015 The bug id's are 142952 or 172761. In the document they present some workarounds to correct the problem, but these don't work all the times. Since the Rep Server 11.5 was discontinued, I know there are no EBF's to solve the problem. I'd like to know if the most recent versions of Rep Server (11.5.1 and 12.0) have corrected the bug and where I ...

Rep Server 11.5 not quiescing,
Hi ! We just overcame the repserver core dumping problem and seems that it has got stuck in the quiescing problem. The repl server is coming up now. But the queues are not getting queisced. We tried to recover the databases using the mechanism given in the rep server manuals. But as soon as the rep agent for the replicated database is started , the repagent gets shutdown immediately saying "Loss detected" but if I do a ignore loss it says there is no loss. Can sombody tell me why is this happening and also any solution for the same. speedy response will be highly ap...

Using Rep Server 12.5 between 11.9.2 and 12.5.1
How I can replicate data between ASE 11.9.2 and ASE 12.5.1 using Replication Server 12.5 on UNIX 2.8 <JC> wrote in message news:4193beb8.2e2d.1681692777@sybase.com... > How I can replicate data between ASE 11.9.2 and ASE 12.5.1 > using Replication Server 12.5 on UNIX 2.8 This should be no problem at all -- the different versions I mean. If your questions aims at explaining how replication actually works and how to set it up (i.e. not version-specific stuff), then I recommend you read the docs at sybooks.sybase.com/rs.html. HTH, Rob ------------------------------...

11.03 Ltm v.s 11.5 server
I am using 11.03 rep server to setup warm standby system with 11.5 Sql server. and I can't start ltm because... ERROR #2028 logscan thread(SYBASE1.dbmaint) - (2616) Message from server: Message: 9141, State 1, Severity 16 -- 'The stored proc. 'rs_update_lastcommit' associated with the EXECEND log record in database 'dbmaint', XACT ID Rid pageid = 0x2d19; row num = 0x8, RID Rid pageid = 0x2d1b; row num = 0x0, was dropped after the log record was written. The EXECEND log record is not replicated. '. I. 98/11/06 14:45:18. Message from server: Message: 570...

Rep. Server 11.0.2 with ASE?
Hi, I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am thinking of upgrading Sybase to 11.5 ASE. Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE with RS 11.0.x? THanks for your help! > I have RS 11.0.2 running on HP-UX 10 and SQLServer 11.0.2. I am > thinking of upgrading > Sybase to 11.5 ASE. > Does anyone know of any incompatibility problems with running 11.5 ASE > with RS 11.0.x? No problems. We are running hp-ux 10.20 with RS 11.0.2 and ase 11.5. You may want to upgrade to the latest open client/server (11.1.1) ...

Web resources about - rep server 11.03 w/ ASE 11.5 - sybase.rep-server

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
One year after introducing the original Compute Stick, a version of which was featured in our guide to building a $150 iTunes media server , ...

Facebook's LiveRail Exits the Ad Server Business
Facebook's publisher-facing ad-tech arm LiveRail is shutting down the ad server business that you might not have known it operated. Known best ...

Cock.li server seized again by German prosecutor, service moves to Iceland
(video link) The administrator of the cock.li e-mail hosting service told Ars on Friday that a second hard drive had been seized from his Bavarian ...

Trump likens Cruz's citizenship to questions about Clinton's email server
Presidential candidate Donald Trump ratcheted up his attacks on Ted Cruz, attacking him on everything from his citizenship to connections to ...

Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk
Cyber Expert: Hillary’s Server Was A Huge Security Risk

Netflix To Crack Down On Proxy Servers As Share Price Continues To Be Volatile
Netflix is cracking down on people using proxy servers to access the SVOD giant’s library. The use of VPNs (virtual private networks) was commonplace ...

Awesome: Goku's voice actress is playing Wukong for Japan's League of Legends server
... by the Journey to the West legend. Whoa. Get a taste of her work below. League of Legends – Son Goku voice actress is Wukong in Japan server ...

Lenovo enhances partnership with Inventec to compete for server orders from Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent
In order to compete with China-based vendors Inspur and Sugon Information Industry for data center server orders from Baidu, Alibaba and Tencent, ...

AMD Finally Gets ARM-Based Server Chip to Market
The chip maker launches its delayed Opteron A1100 SoC into a data center market that officials say is now more ready for ARM-based processors. ...