closing parent frame from child frame

Using the powersite object model, I would like to close the parent frame that
opened a child frame subwindow before re-opening the parent frame again, from
the child - I am passing parameters to powersite server script in the parent
frame.  If I open the child frame using the window.open() ( I am guessing this
is best so the opener property exists), is it possible to close the parent
frame from a child frame and then re-open the parent frame?, and if so, any
suggestions or advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marc

0
marcwhitney
3/20/2000 8:24:35 PM
sybase.powersite 2112 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I've not closed a parent frame, but switched it to a different frameset.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
    parent.location.href = "f_site_logon.html"
</SCRIPT>

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.

"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Using the powersite object model, I would like to close the parent frame
that
> opened a child frame subwindow before re-opening the parent frame again,
from
> the child - I am passing parameters to powersite server script in the
parent
> frame.  If I open the child frame using the window.open() ( I am guessing
this
> is best so the opener property exists), is it possible to close the parent
> frame from a child frame and then re-open the parent frame?, and if so,
any
> suggestions or advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Marc

0
Larry
3/20/2000 10:20:56 PM
Larry -
Thank you for responding to my question.  I am sorry but I am not following
your answer.  Also - thanks for your articles in powerline - the article on
building the Web DW component helped me out alot!

Thanks though!
Marc

In article <IIx04vrk$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com says...

>I've not closed a parent frame, but switched it to a different frameset.
>
><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
>    parent.location.href = "f_site_logon.html"
></SCRIPT>
>
>--
>
>Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>www.ctpartners.com
>Web DataWindow Articles
>(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>

>"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> Using the powersite object model, I would like to close the parent frame
>that
>> opened a child frame subwindow before re-opening the parent frame again,
>from
>> the child - I am passing parameters to powersite server script in the
>parent
>> frame.  If I open the child frame using the window.open() ( I am guessing
>this
>> is best so the opener property exists), is it possible to close the parent
>> frame from a child frame and then re-open the parent frame?, and if so,
>any
>> suggestions or advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Marc

0
marcwhitney
3/21/2000 4:43:37 PM
I have not "closed" a frame but I have had to redirect and switch my
frameset because of user action.  That's the client-script I passed along.
Also you might consider the _top parameter for frames to identify the top
level of the frame.  www.irt.org is a good reference site for these types of
things.

--

> Larry -
> Thank you for responding to my question.  I am sorry but I am not
following
> your answer.  Also - thanks for your articles in powerline - the article
on
> building the Web DW component helped me out alot!
>
> Thanks though!
> Marc
>

> In article <IIx04vrk$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com
says...

> >I've not closed a parent frame, but switched it to a different frameset.
> >
> ><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
> >    parent.location.href = "f_site_logon.html"
> ></SCRIPT>
> >
> >--
> >
> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> >www.ctpartners.com
> >Web DataWindow Articles
> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
> >

> >"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> >> Using the powersite object model, I would like to close the parent
frame
> >that
> >> opened a child frame subwindow before re-opening the parent frame
again,
> >from
> >> the child - I am passing parameters to powersite server script in the
> >parent
> >> frame.  If I open the child frame using the window.open() ( I am
guessing
> >this
> >> is best so the opener property exists), is it possible to close the
parent
> >> frame from a child frame and then re-open the parent frame?, and if so,
> >any
> >> suggestions or advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Marc

0
Larry
3/22/2000 5:25:03 AM
Thanks Larry for your comments -

I looked at www.irt.org - thanks it will be a great reference.

I am noticing that my redirect works when I redirect to a page that does not
have frames but when the page has frames, the redirect still opens a new
instance of the page. I tested this by having my server script do a redirect
back to the executing page.  This works if the page does not have frames - if
it does, I always get a new instance, atleast in Powersite.  Does this make
sense?

Thanks
Marc

In article <Wl36mB8k$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com says...

>I have not "closed" a frame but I have had to redirect and switch my
>frameset because of user action.  That's the client-script I passed along.
>Also you might consider the _top parameter for frames to identify the top
>level of the frame.  www.irt.org is a good reference site for these types of
>things.
>
>--
>
>Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>www.ctpartners.com
>Web DataWindow Articles
>(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>

>"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> Larry -
>> Thank you for responding to my question.  I am sorry but I am not
>following
>> your answer.  Also - thanks for your articles in powerline - the article
>on
>> building the Web DW component helped me out alot!
>>
>> Thanks though!
>> Marc
>>

>> In article <IIx04vrk$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com
>says...
>> >
>> >I've not closed a parent frame, but switched it to a different frameset.
>> >
>> ><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
>> >    parent.location.href = "f_site_logon.html"
>> ></SCRIPT>
>> >
>> >--
>> >
>> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>> >www.ctpartners.com
>> >Web DataWindow Articles
>> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>> >

>> >"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>frame
>> >that
>again,
>> >from
>> >parent
>guessing
>> >this
>parent
>> >any

0
marcwhitney
3/22/2000 7:55:27 PM
Yep, that's why I mentioned the _top keyword.  You need to get up to the top
level to change the frameset.

--

> Thanks Larry for your comments -
>
> I looked at www.irt.org - thanks it will be a great reference.
>
> I am noticing that my redirect works when I redirect to a page that does
not
> have frames but when the page has frames, the redirect still opens a new
> instance of the page. I tested this by having my server script do a
redirect
> back to the executing page.  This works if the page does not have frames -
if
> it does, I always get a new instance, atleast in Powersite.  Does this
make
> sense?
>
> Thanks
> Marc
>
> In article <Wl36mB8k$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com
says...

> >I have not "closed" a frame but I have had to redirect and switch my
> >frameset because of user action.  That's the client-script I passed
along.
> >Also you might consider the _top parameter for frames to identify the top
> >level of the frame.  www.irt.org is a good reference site for these types
of
> >things.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> >www.ctpartners.com
> >Web DataWindow Articles
> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
> >

> >"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> >> Larry -
> >> Thank you for responding to my question.  I am sorry but I am not
> >following
> >> your answer.  Also - thanks for your articles in powerline - the
article
> >on
> >> building the Web DW component helped me out alot!
> >>
> >> Thanks though!
> >> Marc
> >>

> >> In article <IIx04vrk$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com

> >says...

> >frame
> >again,
> >guessing
> >parent

0
Larry
3/22/2000 10:42:14 PM
Larry -
Thanks - but I think we are talking about different things.  If I am in a page
with frames  - call it page A , and I want submit a form to another page that
is open, call it Page B (which also has frames but different pages) and leaving
Page A the way it is, and re-open Page B,then are you saying to apply the _top
parameter in the submitting form in the page in Page A?  This opens Page B
Frame in Page A, which is not really what I am looking for.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.
Many thanks-
Marc

In article <yKdjNFFl$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com says...

>Yep, that's why I mentioned the _top keyword.  You need to get up to the top
>level to change the frameset.
>
>--
>
>Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>www.ctpartners.com
>Web DataWindow Articles
>(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>

>"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Larry for your comments -
>>
>> I looked at www.irt.org - thanks it will be a great reference.
>>
>> I am noticing that my redirect works when I redirect to a page that does
>not
>> have frames but when the page has frames, the redirect still opens a new
>> instance of the page. I tested this by having my server script do a
>redirect
>> back to the executing page.  This works if the page does not have frames -
>if
>> it does, I always get a new instance, atleast in Powersite.  Does this
>make
>> sense?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Marc
>>
>> In article <Wl36mB8k$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>, lcermak@ctpartners.com
>says...
>> >
>> >I have not "closed" a frame but I have had to redirect and switch my
>> >frameset because of user action.  That's the client-script I passed
>along.
>> >Also you might consider the _top parameter for frames to identify the top
>> >level of the frame.  www.irt.org is a good reference site for these types
>of
>> >things.
>> >
>> >--
>> >
>> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>> >www.ctpartners.com
>> >Web DataWindow Articles
>> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>> >

>> >"Marc Whitney" <marcwhitney@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> >following
>article
>> >on

>> >says...

>frameset.

>> >frame
>> >again,
>the
>> >guessing
>> >parent
>so,

0
marcwhitney

To frame or not to frame?
Hi all,Normally do you build your web apps using frames? I'm having several troubles using firefox, its behaviour presents many differences.. it does not accept resizing, borders etcthanks It is probably a personal thing with frames. Personally I think they are nasty. They cause more problems than they solve. They do not meet accessibility standards. The improvements on caching with ASP.NET allow for very fast returns by caching user controls that you might normally keep in a frame, such as menu/navigation. That's an easy one. Not to. It means ugly Javascript solutions, problems wi...

frame or no frame
I've read through quite a bit of opinions, but without a definate answer. I'm writing a page in asp.net 2.0 and it includes a seperate page hosted on a seperate domain.  I was going to just throw it in a frame and call it good, but I'm reading that that is not such a good idea.  Anyone have a simple way to do this, I'd like to use the master page for the site and just have an area that is framed.  Sorry if I am missing something obvious, I tend to do that lately.   You have two ways to do it.   If you own the second domain, or can ask the owner nicely, set up t...

To frame or not to frame...
I know this is probably a matter of opinion...but if you have an application that is using large datasets that can not be cached, does it make sense to use frames on your site to save some processing of other database driven menus, and whatnot?? Does this cause a headache if you are dealing with an application that requires user authentication, since you have to now check on serval pages for authorization? Maybe an IFrame for content is better? Just one of those questions that has been bugging me. thanks... I would not use frames. I would instead use fragment caching, that is, cre...

To frame or not to frame
Hi,    I was having troubles with framing my website using visual web developer 2008 and so was looking around on this forum. It was surprising to see many negative comments about frames and to find out that XHTML doesnt even support frames. Now Im leaning towards not using frames. I want to have 3 different sections of my website: A header with my company name A side section where I can put links and maybe put advertisements later on (graphics) A main section where all the real stuff shows up  The problem is that Visaul Web developer doesnt support that kind o...

Frames or NO frames.
Hi, sorry probably a topic discussed at lengths somewhere but I was wondering. If I have a ASP.NET c# web application that contains the traditional header, left navigation bit and content to the right, is there any compelling reason for me not to use frames? I realise one issue may be browser compatability but how many browsers these days don't support frames. If it helps, I am writing an intranet application rather than a full internet app so I don't see browser type too much of an issue. Thanks for your comments. Graham Allwood Browser compatibility hasn't been the issue...

NetStorage Frame in Frame
--____USSHZKHRTKSQNTOQSGEX____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have problems using the browser acces to netstorage. After login its = open frame in frames and not showing the files. Reinstalling netstorage = changed nothing. WEBDAV access is working fine. With kind regards, Bodo =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D MEBSware Informatik GmbH Bodo Schulz Bodo.Schulz@MEBSware.DE www.mebsware.de =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

How to update a frame in the parent window from a child window
Could someone PLEASE HELP ME?!? I am trying to update a frame in my parent window from a child window? Does anyone have any idea? I appreciate any help! p.s:I using vb.net 1.1 framework,i try to fill a listbox button(parent window) from a check box list button(child window) thanx!!!!  try to use window.parent.frames("Frame1").document.getElementById('<%=CONTROLID.ClientID%>') where Frame1 is the id of your frame and CONTROLID is the id of listbox id. HCHaissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Blog |...

Closing the Child window on closing the Parent
 Dear All,In my web applicaiton, on clicking a menu, I am displaying the relevant information by opening the child window using java script.If the parent window is closed / the user logged out, then the child window also has to be closed.Can any one tell me a way to perform this?Thanks a lot in advance. Create an array to track the open windows. Whenever you open a window, pass the handle to that window to a function that will add it to the array. When you want to close all the windows, loop through the array and close them. You don't need to worry if a child window is closed...

Close all child pop-up when parent is closed?
Hi to all,                   I have a parent window from this i can open lot of pop up window, my problem is whenever i close the parent window(by clicking Close button in browser) then all popup should close how to do this, experts please help me.If this post is answer of your question then don't forgot to Click Mark As Answer Hi, please check the following link hopfully this is what you are looking for http://forums.asp.net/t/1302709.aspx Enjoy!! programming is good for my soul....

Closing a Frame
We have an application that uses two frames. The left frame is a navigation bar and the right frame contains the rest of the forms. The login screen has no frames. The problem is that when we logout and redirect to the Login page, the left navigation bar remains. If we press F5 on the browser, the left frame disappears the screen appears correctly. We are not sure if we have mis-coded something, or if we just need to force a refresh at logout. Can anyone help?? You can probably do either one.....I will write the example for both: 1) to break out of frames you ...

RE: Framesets
I have tried putting the entire CSK application in an <iframe> of an .htm page. It doesn't work, or at least some major code tweek is needed, because for some strange reason, while in the iframe, it is not possible to log members into the Community. This serves as a huge disappointment. Is anything possible to work around this? DanDanCirAre you Yakking yet?...

modifying a frame inside a frame
Hi, All, 1) I have a frame (F1) that has a TPopupMenu (PM) with no menu items at all. The only reason PM is declared in F1 is that PM is popped up by F1 manually (after simulating a left click, and then a right click on a TListBox to select the item under the mouse cursor). Components that use F1 are supposed to add menu items to PM themselves. 2) I drop F1 on another frame (F2). 3) I double-click on PM, add a menuitem to it, name it, and close the menu editor. 4) I click once on PM in the frame editor just to be presented with this error message: "List index out o...

Frames & No Frames that is the question
Hello, This may not be the appropriate place for this question, if not let me know. I want to use frames in my application, the problems is when the session times out I would like to display that page without the frames. An alternative would be to display the timeout page always in the same frame. How can I do this?? My frames would look like this FRAME HEADER ---------------------------------------------------------------| FRAME MENUS| FRAME DETAIL | ---------------------------------------------------------------| Either allways in the FRAME DETAIL or display...

need to close child when parent closes
I open child windows windowHandle = window.open('blah.aspx' ,'mywindow', 'width=420,height=310,top=200,left=235,scrollbars=yes');" In ASP classic I was able to close the child window that the parent window opened if the parent was closed. By doing this: onunload="if (windowHandle && !windowHandle.closed) windowHandle.close(); I got this code from IRT.org. This code has worked very well in ASP classic. Now that I am doing asp.net the above code does not work. Please help,pietaster,A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. - ...

Web resources about - closing parent frame from child frame - sybase.powersite

2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
51°32′19″N 0°01′00″W  /  51.53861°N 0.0166667°W  / 51.53861; -0.0166667 Coordinates : 51°32′19″N 0°01′00″W  /  51.53861°N 0.0166667°W  ...

Facebook Addresses Fake Accounts, Teen Users, WhatsApp And Oculus VR Closings In Form 10-Q
Facebook addressed duplicate and fake accounts , teen usage, and potential closing dates for its acquisitions of WhatsApp and Oculus VR in its ...

We Are All 'Closing Time': Why Semisonic's 1998 Hit Still Resonates
At some point, it was decided that in order for a song to be great, it has to &ldquo;stand the test of time.&rdquo; This has since become a ...

Deadline for Closing of Facebook’s WhatsApp Acquisition Pushed Back by One Year
... to certain adjustments such that the cash paid will comprise at least 25 percent of the aggregate transaction consideration. After closing, ...

CNBC's Closing Bell (@CNBCClosingBell) on Twitter

Closing time: The 7 Immutable Laws of Sales Negotiation
A group for sales and strategic account negotiation experts stop the carousel Announcement from Closing time: The 7 Immutable Laws of Sales Negotiation ...

Pope Francis holds relics of St. Peter, as he celebrates closing 'Year of Faith' Mass - YouTube
The Year of Faith came to a close with a Papal Mass in St. Peter\'s Square. Thousands came out to the Vatican to celebrate and the Pope highlighted ...

Closing the book on the Read Around Canberra program
Popular book club Read Around Canberra will no longer be hosted by Libraries ACT, to the dismay of its loyal members.

Apple announces Dec. 22-29 holiday closing dates for iTunes Connect
... iTunes Connect operations are, of course, expected to resume on Dec. 30. Heres Apples announcement of this years iTunes Connect holiday closing ...