Registryget function returning different value in PB 7 vs. PB 9

Heres the deal.  We have an application that gets installed
via InstallShield.  It does a lot of stuff.  One of the
things it does is adds a couple of registry values.  When I
run the PB 7 code thru the debugger, the following code
returns a 1 and life is good.

RegistryGet (
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES", "LAST_HOME",
RegString!, ls_idx)

BUT, when I run the same code thru the debugger in PB 9 it
returns -1...life is not good.

Why?

Thanks!

-KElly
0
kelly

I run the same code in PB7 and PB9 and everything works as
expected.

What happens when you run without the debugger?

Is the code that accesses the registry being posted or
triggered?

Which version and build of PB9 do you have?

steve
[TeamSybase]
> Heres the deal.  We have an application that gets
> installed via InstallShield.  It does a lot of stuff.  One
> of the things it does is adds a couple of registry values.
>  When I run the PB 7 code thru the debugger, the following
> code returns a 1 and life is good.
>
> RegistryGet (
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES",
> "LAST_HOME", RegString!, ls_idx)
>
> BUT, when I run the same code thru the debugger in PB 9 it
> returns -1...life is not good.
>
> Why?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -KElly
0
Steve
2/13/2004 3:04:26 PM
Well the funny thing is the return code is never checked so
I don't think it is a big issue as far as our application
goes...but I am not sure why the return code would be -1 in
PB 9 and 1 in PB 7...  So, since the return codes is never
validated, the application runs without any problems...I was
just watching thru the debugger what happens when this line
of code was executed in PB 9 and noticed it was returning
-1.  I hate to say this but how do I know if the code that
accesses the registry is being posted or triggered?

Build Version:  5500
Thanks!

> I run the same code in PB7 and PB9 and everything works as
> expected.
>
> What happens when you run without the debugger?
>
> Is the code that accesses the registry being posted or
> triggered?
>
> Which version and build of PB9 do you have?
>
> steve
> [TeamSybase]
> > Heres the deal.  We have an application that gets
> > installed via InstallShield.  It does a lot of stuff.
> > One of the things it does is adds a couple of registry
> >  values. When I run the PB 7 code thru the debugger, the
> > following code returns a 1 and life is good.
> >
> > RegistryGet (
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES",
> > "LAST_HOME", RegString!, ls_idx)
> >
> > BUT, when I run the same code thru the debugger in PB 9
> > it returns -1...life is not good.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -KElly
0
Kelly
2/13/2004 4:59:06 PM
According to the help file "An error is returned if the
datatype of valuevariable does not correspond to the
datatype specified in valuetype."  In that same vein, is it
possible that RegString! is the wrong type and the type
should really be RegInt! or something else?

To tell if the event was posted or triggered, you'd have to
look at where the event was fired.  There is no inherent way
of telling at runtime from the script itself.  I was just
thinking that if it were posted, maybe something wacky was
going on....

If it's any consolation, I didn't see any known issues
regarding RegistryGet in PB9.

Regards,

steve
[TeamSybase]

> Well the funny thing is the return code is never checked
> so I don't think it is a big issue as far as our
> application goes...but I am not sure why the return code
> would be -1 in PB 9 and 1 in PB 7...  So, since the return
> codes is never validated, the application runs without any
> problems...I was just watching thru the debugger what
> happens when this line of code was executed in PB 9 and
> noticed it was returning -1.  I hate to say this but how
> do I know if the code that accesses the registry is being
> posted or triggered?
>
> Build Version:  5500
> Thanks!
>
> > I run the same code in PB7 and PB9 and everything works
> > as expected.
> >
> > What happens when you run without the debugger?
> >
> > Is the code that accesses the registry being posted or
> > triggered?
> >
> > Which version and build of PB9 do you have?
> >
> > steve
> > [TeamSybase]
> > > Heres the deal.  We have an application that gets
> > > installed via InstallShield.  It does a lot of stuff.
> > > One of the things it does is adds a couple of registry
> > >  values. When I run the PB 7 code thru the debugger,
> > > the following code returns a 1 and life is good.
> > >
> > > RegistryGet (
> > > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\ALL_HOMES",
> > > "LAST_HOME", RegString!, ls_idx)
> > >
> > > BUT, when I run the same code thru the debugger in PB
> > > 9 it returns -1...life is not good.
> > >
> > > Why?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -KElly
0
Steve
2/18/2004 3:10:29 PM
Steve,

Thats it!  When I change the RegString! to RegExpandString!
I get a return = 1.

Thanks for your help!

-KElly

> According to the help file "An error is returned if the
> datatype of valuevariable does not correspond to the
> datatype specified in valuetype."  In that same vein, is
> it possible that RegString! is the wrong type and the type
> should really be RegInt! or something else?
>
> To tell if the event was posted or triggered, you'd have
> to look at where the event was fired.  There is no
> inherent way of telling at runtime from the script itself.
>  I was just thinking that if it were posted, maybe
> something wacky was going on....
>
> If it's any consolation, I didn't see any known issues
> regarding RegistryGet in PB9.
>
> Regards,
>
> steve
> [TeamSybase]
>

> > Well the funny thing is the return code is never checked
> > so I don't think it is a big issue as far as our
> > application goes...but I am not sure why the return code
> > would be -1 in PB 9 and 1 in PB 7...  So, since the
> > return codes is never validated, the application runs
> > without any problems...I was just watching thru the
> > debugger what happens when this line of code was
> > executed in PB 9 and noticed it was returning -1.  I
> > hate to say this but how do I know if the code that
> > accesses the registry is being posted or triggered?
> >
> > Build Version:  5500
> > Thanks!
> >
> > > I run the same code in PB7 and PB9 and everything
> > > works as expected.
> > >
> > > What happens when you run without the debugger?
> > >
> > > Is the code that accesses the registry being posted or
> > > triggered?
> > >
> > > Which version and build of PB9 do you have?
> > >
> > > steve
> > > [TeamSybase]
> > > good. >

0
kelly

PB 7 vs PB 6 & PB 5
We have a large application, compiled with PB 5.04, running at about 20 client sites. Generally speaking, if a PB 5.04 app is compiled with PB 7, what changes can the developer expect in app performance and memory usage? Thank you, st I'm assuming that 5.04 app is a 16 bit app. With PB7, you're going to be compiling 32bit apps. There are issues associated with that (I don't know if you are calling 16 bit functions or not). The files will generally be much larger. I haven't seen much myself that noticable as far as memory or performance issues though. O...

PB 9.03 vs PB 9.02
What is better to use for already existing large client-server PB app? In terms of stability, number of unfixed serious bugs, extra features... TIA We encountered lockup problems on some reports for our application with 9.0.3. I did lots of testing but couldn't pin down the cause, and the users were getting frustrated. After a while I rolled back to 9.0.2 with EBF 7610, and this seems to be very stable. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply: your mileage may vary, etc. Pat "Andrew" <gurzuf_no_junk_@rogers.com> wrote in message news:4314fe5e@fo...

Different SetFocus() behaviour PB 10.5.1 vs PB 9.
Hi all. I've noticed a small difference in behaviour in the SetFocus() function in PB 10.5.1 compared to PB 9: Our application has a logon window for users to sign in. There are singlelineedit controls on the window for them to type in userid and password. In the open() event of the logon window, a SetFocus() is called for the userid sle (sle_user_id.SetFocus()). In PB 9, the userid field would get focus and a blinking cursor would appear but in PB 10.5.1, the blinking cursor does not show up even though the field does have focus. Has anyone seen something like this? ...

PB 7.0.03 vs. PB 7.0.02C3
Hi All I have this question. My company decided to move from PB 6.0 to PB 7.0.03. In the process, I learned about existing regression bugs in version 7.0.03. The solution to this problem would be to install PB 7.0.02C3. Does anybody know how to get this version, or any other reliable release of version 7? Regards Roman Pruszkowski I heard from this newsgroup the c3 8046 is the most stable version of PB 7.. you can download the upgrade for PB 7 from www.mysybase.com "Roman" <pruszkowskir@aecl.ca> wrote in message news:a1fgFzhsAHA.266@forums.sybase.com... ...

Migration from PB 7 to PB 9
We have been using PB 7 for quite some time. Lately one of our larger databases has been getting 'out of memory' errors during a retrieve a data window in our current application. Would upgrading to PB 9 prevent this? In addition, does PB 9 increase response times via ODBC (sql server) v. PB 7? Many thanks. Joe; Make sure that the application's client machine is really running out of memory. May be it's referring to "Out of System Resources". What version of MS-Windows are you using? If you are running out of memory, it may also be due to a low O/...

PB 9.0.1 6053 vs. PB 9.0.1 7171
Hi all, the 7171 build is not where I want to be in terms of IDE stability. Can I simply run the 6053 setup again to revert back and then simply regen the pbl files or am I stuck where I am?? Let me know. Thanks Delete all of the 7171 dated DLLs first. Most install utilities won't overwrite a DLL with a later date. On 14 Jun 2004 17:38:41 -0700, "Mark Pare" <markpare@videotron.ca> wrote: >Hi all, the 7171 build is not where I want to be in terms of IDE stability. >Can I simply run the 6053 setup again to revert back and then simply regen >the ...

SyntaxFromSQL change from PB 7 and PB 9
I noticed that the syntax for column names has changed. Powerbuilder V7 the column name was note_id. Powerbuilder V9 the column name is user_notes_note_id. My application now gets an invalid row/column. Is there any to get the SyntaxFromSQL to not add the table name to the column name? PB 9 =========== release 9; datawindow(units=0 timer_interval=0 color=1073741824 processing=1 print.margin.bottom=96 print.margin.left=110 print.margin.right=110 print.margin.top=96 print.preview.buttons=no ) table( column=(type=long identity=yes updatewhereclause = yes...

pbm_keydown different in PB 9 and PB 11
We have a PB 9 application that mapped an event (in datawindow) to pbm_keydown. In there code checked for the Enter key and overrode the behaviour (added a line break - mimic Ctrl + Enter). This worked fine. In PB 11.1, this event doesn't even seem to be fired (according to debugger). Is this a known change in behaviour? It seems to work if we change the event to map to pbm_dwnkey. TIA, Ed I don't know if it was a change in behavior or not, but I'm surprised it worked before and that you made it work with pbm_dwnkey. There's a datawindow event specific...

PB 7 + PFC + Cornerstone to PB 9
I just inherited the support for an application which was written with PowerBuilder 7.0.3 with Cornerstone 7. The application doesn't make extensive use of Cornerstone, but does use extensive inheriting of Windows, Datawindows, etc from the PFC (and thus from Cornerstone) We would like to remove the Cornerstone libraries and migrate the Application to PB9 (with PFC 9). This may be quite a bit of work. What I'd like to know is how different is the PFC from 7 to 9 and could we get away with just keeping the existing framework and still have full fuctionality of our applicati...

PB 6 vs PB 7 info
Is there a doc somewhere that details the changes from PB 7 over PB 6? thanks. http://www.sybase.com/products/powerbuilder/pbpdinfo.htm -- Gegroet - Eric Aling [TeamSybase], Cypres Informatisering, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Site @ http://www.knoware.nl/users/cypr115 Mark Micklich <srfpci1@pacbell.net> schreef in berichtnieuws rIca0AbP$GA.313@forums.sybase.com... > Is there a doc somewhere that details the changes from PB 7 over PB 6? > thanks. > > ...

ODBC and Informix 7 on PB 7 returns 0 for integer values
Hi, This is driving me crazy and I am hoping someone can help. I am connecting to Informix 7 from PB 7 and when I retrieve values of a numeric type, I get a 0 instead of the actual value. I checked against the database to make sure the value is there( it is ) and then tried to retrieve the values from WinSQL( it retrieved correctly ). So the problem seems to be isolated to ODBC and Informix. I actually inserted the values from PB so I know that part works, its just retieving the values. A note: I connected to the database via the native interfaces and that worked correctly. So its j...

PB 7.0.3 to PB 9.x
We have two web applications using web.pb developed in 7.0.3 and using ASE 12.5.x db. Right now it's running on Win NT. We already have our app in nvo's. We tried running one of the applications in Win2000 and we ran into memory errors. We are not sure if it's a case of incompatibility of pb and win2000. If anybody out there has experienced the same scenario, we would really appreciate any info. Anyway, if we have to migrate to a newer ver of pb like 9.x we would like to know if there is an alternative to using EASERVER? Anything, cheaper or free would be great? (is ...

GetURL returns HTML in PB 7 but not in PB 10
Hi: I am testing the functions GetURL , PostURL for the first time in my app to communicate between a PB desktop executable and a remote Java Servlet. My goal is to exchange information in form of XML between my client executable and the java servlet. I need to pass XML stream, and be able to receive XML stream returned by the Java Servlet and pass it back to the client executable so further processing can take place. When I use the example code as given in online help the code works perfectly for GetURL i.e I see the returned HTML (all the tags and all that in string format in ...

PB 5 Vs PB 7 MENU ISSUE
Recently we have migrated from PB 5.0.04 to PB 7 (build 7024 which is latest) and we had a logic in PB 5.0.04 related to a menu items to get it dynamically changed across different modules developed under PB 5.0.04. Here is the logic which I did and it worked fine in PB 5.0.04 but not in PB 7.01 with latest EBF. m_emp_master m_menu1 m_trn_master m_menu2 ///in between here there is several logic to qualify the menu variables, to make sure the variables has valid handles and get created properly. m_menu1.item[3] = m_menu2.item[3] Now if I use m_menu1 I will get all orig...

Web resources about - Registryget function returning different value in PB 7 vs. PB 9 - sybase.powerscript