Powerbuilder refresh (VB.Net application.doevents)

Is there a powerbuilder way of performing application.doevents() ?

I'd like to show a progressbar to a user when performing database
maintenance (thousands of rows), where the progressbar is incremented one
for each row processed.

As the database maintenance job is rather big, what happens is that the
dialog window with the progressbar is not refreshed until the whole job is
complete (the response windows is also showing 'program is not responding').
Which then of course causes the user to miss the view of the progressbar
incrementing.

I've tried SetReDraw on/off before each progressbar increment, but it had no
effect.

Any tricks in how to avoid this ??

I've found the Yield() command, which I think will resolve my issue

"O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
4c529915$1@forums-1-dub ...
> Is there a powerbuilder way of performing application.doevents() ?
>
> I'd like to show a progressbar to a user when performing database
> maintenance (thousands of rows), where the progressbar is incremented one
> for each row processed.
>
> As the database maintenance job is rather big, what happens is that the
> dialog window with the progressbar is not refreshed until the whole job is
> complete (the response windows is also showing 'program is not
> responding'). Which then of course causes the user to miss the view of the
> progressbar incrementing.
>
> I've tried SetReDraw on/off before each progressbar increment, but it had
> no effect.
>
> Any tricks in how to avoid this ??

Just have in mind that by this command you give the end-user a chance to
work with your GUI interface and to close your window thus invalidating any
references to controls/variables in the range of your script being executed,
which finally would lead to a systemerror (null object reference). Take care
of this one, for example, by preventing the window closing (Return 1 in the
window's Closequery event if an operation is in progress).

Regards,
Ivaylo

"O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've found the Yield() command, which I think will resolve my issue
>

> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
> 4c529915$1@forums-1-dub ...
>> Is there a powerbuilder way of performing application.doevents() ?
>>
>> I'd like to show a progressbar to a user when performing database
>> maintenance (thousands of rows), where the progressbar is incremented one
>> for each row processed.
>>
>> As the database maintenance job is rather big, what happens is that the
>> dialog window with the progressbar is not refreshed until the whole job
>> is complete (the response windows is also showing 'program is not
>> responding'). Which then of course causes the user to miss the view of
>> the progressbar incrementing.
>>
>> I've tried SetReDraw on/off before each progressbar increment, but it had
>> no effect.
>>
>> Any tricks in how to avoid this ??

0
Ivaylo
7/30/2010 9:57:30 AM
Are there any better ways of approaching this problem (not using yeild)?

"Ivaylo Ivanov" <n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
4c52a20a$1@forums-1-dub ...
> Just have in mind that by this command you give the end-user a chance to
> work with your GUI interface and to close your window thus invalidating
> any references to controls/variables in the range of your script being
> executed, which finally would lead to a systemerror (null object
> reference). Take care of this one, for example, by preventing the window
> closing (Return 1 in the window's Closequery event if an operation is in
> progress).
>
> Regards,
> Ivaylo
>
> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've found the Yield() command, which I think will resolve my issue
>>

>> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
>> 4c529915$1@forums-1-dub ...
>>> Is there a powerbuilder way of performing application.doevents() ?
>>>
>>> I'd like to show a progressbar to a user when performing database
>>> maintenance (thousands of rows), where the progressbar is incremented
>>> one for each row processed.
>>>
>>> As the database maintenance job is rather big, what happens is that the
>>> dialog window with the progressbar is not refreshed until the whole job
>>> is complete (the response windows is also showing 'program is not
>>> responding'). Which then of course causes the user to miss the view of
>>> the progressbar incrementing.
>>>
>>> I've tried SetReDraw on/off before each progressbar increment, but it
>>> had no effect.
>>>
>>> Any tricks in how to avoid this ??

I've made such dialogs (downloads, version updaters, for example) using
Yield + some boolean flags checked on CloseQuery and it's working fine.

I can think of another possible way - using some multithreading (PB shared
objects), but this can require a certain rewrite of your code.

> Are there any better ways of approaching this problem (not using yeild)?
>

> "Ivaylo Ivanov" <n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
> 4c52a20a$1@forums-1-dub ...
>> Just have in mind that by this command you give the end-user a chance to
>> work with your GUI interface and to close your window thus invalidating
>> any references to controls/variables in the range of your script being
>> executed, which finally would lead to a systemerror (null object
>> reference). Take care of this one, for example, by preventing the window
>> closing (Return 1 in the window's Closequery event if an operation is in
>> progress).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ivaylo
>>
>> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've found the Yield() command, which I think will resolve my issue
>>>

>>> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
>>> 4c529915$1@forums-1-dub ...

0
Ivaylo
7/30/2010 12:02:10 PM
Thanks! :)

I'll think I'll stick with Yield(), but follow your advice and add some
additional handling like CloseQuery.

"Ivaylo Ivanov" <n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
4c52bf42$1@forums-1-dub ...
> I've made such dialogs (downloads, version updaters, for example) using
> Yield + some boolean flags checked on CloseQuery and it's working fine.
>
> I can think of another possible way - using some multithreading (PB shared
> objects), but this can require a certain rewrite of your code.
>
> Regards,
> Ivaylo
>
> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any better ways of approaching this problem (not using yeild)?
>>

>> "Ivaylo Ivanov" <n0_S_p_a_m_i.ivanov@isy-dc.com> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
>> 4c52a20a$1@forums-1-dub ...
>>> Just have in mind that by this command you give the end-user a chance to
>>> work with your GUI interface and to close your window thus invalidating
>>> any references to controls/variables in the range of your script being
>>> executed, which finally would lead to a systemerror (null object
>>> reference). Take care of this one, for example, by preventing the window
>>> closing (Return 1 in the window's Closequery event if an operation is in
>>> progress).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ivaylo
>>>
>>> "O Steine" <osteine@gmail.com> wrote in message

migrating a powerbuilder application to a VB.Net application
I want to migrate an application built with powerbuilder to a VB.Net application. Someone is supposed to work on that application but the person can only work in the VB.Net environment.So i want to find out if there is a way of migrating my powerbuilder application to VB.Net Wrong newsgroup :-) <bernard>; <ghana> wrote in message news:46c6f6a8.1595.1681692777@sybase.com... >I want to migrate an application built with powerbuilder to > a VB.Net application. Someone is supposed to work on that > application but the person can only work in the VB.Net > envir...

Converting .net desktop application(vb.net app) to .net web application(asp.net app)
is it possible to convert/upgrad .net desktop application(vb.net application) to .net web application(asp.net application) ? If possible how? is there any extra software or wrapper for it? If possible please...Thanks..  There is no conversion software or wrappers that I know of. For the most part, you will have to rewrite it since the platforms are completely different.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog...

How to embed VB.Net application in ASP.Net web application
Hi, I developed a VB.Net application. I want to embed it in my ASP.Net application. Please help me to do the task.Regards,Jawad Naeem Hi , Its easy to embed a desktop application accessing the .NET framework and the class liberary but it depended on services that the application proivde as you know there are limitions as web applications doesn't act like fully desktop application so you should know what services does your application provides then you can do the following compile the application into DLL file or bulid it as exe but keep in mind classes should be public ...

converting Desktop (VB.Net) application to Web Application(ASP.Net)
Hi,Thanks in advance for your help.I have an application developed in VB6.0. I have migrated it to VB.net environment. We want the application to be made web enabled and change it to ASP.Net application.I am looking for help in How to proceed? I highly appreciate your help.Thank you,-Prakash hi,There is no any tool that would convert your windows application into web application. Both types of application has its own environment. regardsASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest) i heard of a program that will do this but this is not free!!! i do not know how correct is that?about the process if you w...

Can web application(asp.net) interact with Window Application(vb.net) or vice versa ?
Hi all, I am developing a web application by using asp.NET. But part of the application requirement is to interact with a window based application which is developed by using vb.Net.If there any way that i can call vb.NET API , and use that API inside my  asp.net (web application)?  All kindly reply are appreciated.  ~p@ywen~ nothing is impossible ^_^v Yes, you can use a Web service.ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)...

ASP.NET 2.0 Vs VB.NET 2.0 (Web Application VS Desktop Application)
Hello every body,  I am going to develope my final year project "A information system" but I dont know that what I have to choose (desktop or web application) can u tell me the advantages of asp.net over vb.net (desktop or web application) please specify the main and atteractive resons  Thank you. web = no install, cross platform compatibility. desktop = richer UI experience (subjective) and better user interaction. From the standpoint of a web developer: Web applications are usually easier to deploy.  Whenever you release a new version of your code, y...

ASP.NET VB.NET to VB.NET Executable
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I could not find a more suitable section. I have several ASP.NET (using VB.NET) web pages that I have to convert to VB.NET executables. Can someone recommend a roadmap? Is this a huge task? Is it more manageable with the .NET platform? Thanks. the roadmap is to move as much code as possible out of the GUI into codebehind, and get GUI code out of code-behind. then move as much as possible into library assemblies and/or Webservices. then use the Visual Studio editor to drag and drop your new winapp gui, and easily plug in the back end....

Deploying powerbuilder application as .NET web application
Hi when I deploy Client/Server PowerBuilder application as .NET Web application I get below output. Not even getting any bug messages. Checking IIS Server... Generating .NET assembly file... Deploy failed. Have deployed provided Tutorial application as Web application. It has successfully created and deployed. Any information is appreciated. If this question has to do with PB 11 WebForm deploys, you want to post it in the sybase.public.powerbuilder.net.webform section. This section is for DataWindow.Net, a different product. On 29 Jul 2008 05:32:55 -0700, Raju Gol...

Integrating the C#.net and VB.net application
Hello All,  I'm trying to integrate the C#.net application and VB.net application.  Can you give me any suggestions of how to merge them.  Thanks in Advance You are probably goign to have to convert one of the applications to the other language at one point.  There are online conversion tools to help http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/CodeTranslator/- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer".Give some of my PWSK modules a try.  Type of application?We All move to our original place.Don't forget.Imran Baloch @weighfield: I d...

Convert VB.Net application to C#.net
Haican any one help me to convert VB.Net application in this link to C#.net http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=6718&lngWId=10RegardsAnu Palavila  Regards Anu Palavila Use this Free Conversion tool - http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/vb-to-csharp/  ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks | Hosting your site? | SQL Server Tips Other Code Convertors (convert VB to C# and C# to VB) http://converter.telerik.com/ http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/ http://www.dotnetspider.com...

VB.Net
Hi guys, hoping that you may be able to help me on this one. Is there anyway I can run a Console Application, from a button click (or similar) within my windows application. I am using VB.Net in Visual Studio 2005. Any help would be great. ThanksPhil This is an ASP.NET forum. For better responses refer to the winforms forum at MSDN http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/default.aspx?siteid=1What you can do is launch a process that targets the executable file for the console application.  Hey, thanks for getting back to me - I am going to try calling in a batch file to run the con...

Communication between VB.NET applications ASP.net Code
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-b...

Web resources about - Powerbuilder refresh (VB.Net application.doevents) - sybase.powerscript

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles