How to get the hard disk serial number of a network drive?

I know that there is a function called 'GetVolumeInformationA' and with this
funcion, I can get the serial number of a local drive. However when I change
the local drive to network drive (say Z:) as below:

    lb_ret = GetVolumeInformationA("Z:\", VolName, Len(VolName), VolSerial,
    MCompLen, VolFlgs, VolFileSys, Len(VolFileSys))

0 instead of a proper serial number is returned as the VolSerial.  Please
advise!

Tilden Lau

0
Tin

Doesn't the solution given for the local harddrive on wednesday work on the
network?

-Charles

--
-Charles

Over 50+ PB Tools listed and many Win APIs
http://puterwerks.hypermart.net/

0
cginzel
9/18/1999 9:41:59 PM
I've tried but a value of 0 is returned as the VolSerial.

Tilden

cginzel <cginzel@usa.net> wrote in message news:37E40727.C1C2C697@usa.net...
> Doesn't the solution given for the local harddrive on wednesday work on
the
> network?
>
> -Charles
>
> Tin wrote:
>
> > I know that there is a function called 'GetVolumeInformationA' and with
this
> > funcion, I can get the serial number of a local drive. However when I
change
> > the local drive to network drive (say Z:) as below:
> >
> >     lb_ret = GetVolumeInformationA("Z:\", VolName, Len(VolName),
VolSerial,
> >     MCompLen, VolFlgs, VolFileSys, Len(VolFileSys))
> >
> > 0 instead of a proper serial number is returned as the VolSerial.
Please
> > advise!
> >
> > Tilden Lau
>
> --
> -Charles
>
> Over 50+ PB Tools listed and many Win APIs
> http://puterwerks.hypermart.net/

0
Tin

Getting the hard drive serial number
Is there an easy way to obtain the hard drive serial number (the factory ID, not the one created by windows). Thanks Michael Michael Gurnett <> wrote: >Is there an easy way to obtain the hard drive serial number (the factory ID, not the one created by windows). Google is your friend. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hard+drive+serial+number The only "easy" way would be to download a library that does it for you. http://www.diskserialnumber.com/ DiskID32: Code and interesting links near bottom of page http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html ...

Get Hard Drive Serial Number
Hi,Is it possible for me to get the hard drive serial number of the client's machine in my web application?Thanks I wouldn't think so, since ASP.Net is a server side language - and I would shudder with fear if this were actually possible.....David WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Control Grouper - easily control properties for multiple controls with one control!Calendar Express - The Best HTML Calendar Generator on the web!(Please 'Mark as Answer' when it applies) Yes, I am now realizing ...

How to get hard disk serial number for NT
For windows 95 and 98, I can use an API call 'GetVolumeInformationA' to get the hard disk number of a local hard-disk. However it does not work for NT 4.0 workstation and servers. The serial number returned is '0000-0000' which is incorrect. Please advice if there is another specific API call for getting serial number from a NT 4.0 workstation. Tilden That function is supposed to work on NT as well. However, the function itself has a bug with regard to reporting the serial number for remote drives. You might want to look at: http://support.microsoft.com...

How to getting the Hard Disk Serial no? not the Volume Drive no!
Hi all, Any ideas to getting the physical Hard Disk Serial no? not the calling function GetVolumeInformation! Thanks~! > {quote:title=Kent Foong wrote:}{quote} > Hi all, Any ideas to getting the physical Hard Disk Serial no? > not the calling function GetVolumeInformation! A two-second Google search on "Delphi hard disk serial number" (without the quotes) found dozens of hits. Here's the first one: http://delphi.about.com/od/windowsshellapi/a/volumeserial.htm Kent Foong wrote: > Hi all, Any ideas to getting the physical Hard Disk Serial no? > not ...

The trick to get the real serial number of hard drive
I have just published a blog post about a solution that works both in XP and Vista under user account privilage without using P/Invoke. Everyone knows how to get serial number of hard drives but it took me over 50 hours to figure out how to do it in .Net without any user privilage problem. Here is the direct link to the blog entry. Happy Coding! Very cool stuff, you are to be commended for your hard work digging up these details and how to leverage them.Chris LoveASP.NET 2.0 Your Visual Blueprint for developing Web Applications Not bad at all. Now, if you really want to take it to &q...

Getting MAC address or Serial number of Hard disk
Hi, I would like to track whether my client come back my site or not. Is it possible to get MAC address or Serial Number of hard disk of client PC accessing our site?ThanksTran Hong Quang There is no direct way of doing this in ASP.NET. However, you could use WMI in ASP.NET, and I beleive WMI can tell you that information.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog...

Get Hard Disk Serial Number Delphi XE3
I have been using this great component from Devlib for many years in D7, D2010 and XE2 http://www.devlib.net/tgetdiskserial.htm The Delphi XE3 VCL installs without problem, but in an application the GetDiskSerial registrations are not recognised and Delphi... crashes (Close down)! They claim it works but not on my computer. Please install this and report if it works on your Delphi XE3 system? > {quote:title=Pieter van Wyk wrote:}{quote} > Please install this and report if it works on your Delphi XE3 system? I looked as far as the 'buy' button and just started laughing...

Need code to get hard disk serial number
Does anyone have a working piece of PowerScript code to read the hard disk volume serial number under Win95? This is the eight character string (such as '3733-1ED8') that you see when you run the ChkDsk command. Thanks in advance, Justin - Remove the X from my reply to address! - Justin Purington jnp@mottthehoople.mv.com - Use this API function GetVolumnInformationA( ) This function returns information about the harddrive. Global External Function: FUNCTION boolean GetVolumeInformation(ref string lpRootPathName,ref string lpVolumeNameBuffer,ulong nVolu...

Get Hard disk serial no.
Hi, I have a requirement, where I need help. We are developing a VB application, where I need to avoid users from misusing the application. So we track the serial no of the hard disk on which he has installed the program. But the issue here is that we are not able to get the actual Harddisk number of the system from where we are running the application. We are making use of an OCX file and try to get the Serial No. This OCX returns the serial no of the hard disk on which the application is developed on. But if the same app is run from a differnt system as an exe, then it returns the sl...

Hard Disk Serial Number
Hi All, I there any one who can tell me how to get a Hard Disk Serial number(Volum Number). Thanks PS: I am really appreciate if you could give me the code. GetVolumeInformationA. Here's the declaration for it: FUNCTION boolean GetVolumeInformationA( string lpRootPathName, // address of root directory of the file system REF string lpVolumeNameBuffer, // address of name of the volume ulong nVolumeNameSize, // length of lpVolumeNameBuffer REF ulong lpVolumeSerialNumber, // address of volume serial number REF ulong lpMaximumCompon...

Get real serial no. for hard disk
Hi all how can I get the real serial no for hard disk, I know there is API function called GetVolumeInformation but I want the real serial no. how can I get it I am using PB11.5 and ASA11 thanks finestraco http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0214.html You will need to change the definition to GetVolumeInformationW instead of GetVolumeInformationA because PB 10+ is Unicode. -- Report Bugs to Sybase: http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do Product Enhancement Requests: http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement <finestraco> wrote in message news:4c0a...

Getting the FLoppy Disk Serial Number ?
Hi! How can I Get the floppy Serial Number ? I'm using the GetVolumeInfoA WIndows Api but even all drivers (A:,c:,cd-rom) always return 0 Declaring local external function FUNCTION boolean GetVolumeInformationA(ref string lpRootPathName,ref string lpVolumeNameBuffer,ulong nVolumeNameSize,ref ulong lpVolumeSerialNumber,ref ulong lpMaximumComponentLength,ref ulong lpFileSystemFlags,ref string lpFileSystemNameBuffer,ulong nFileSystemNameSize) Library "kernel32.dll" boolean rtn string lprootpathname = "a:" string lpVolumeNameBuffer = space(256)...

Real serial number of IDE hard disk?
Hi, I want to get manufacturer's harddisk serial number (note: not" volume serial number"), because with formating it doesn't change. I have searched the newsgroup archives at: codenewsfast.com and groups.google.com; but to no avail. I am not looking for the use of GetVolumeInformation for getting the "hard disk serial number", because what this function actually gets is the volume serial number, not the manufacturer's hard disk serial number. The volume serial no. is assigned and changed during the formatting of the partition. A proper/working code...

How to Retrieve Hard Drive Serial Number in Asp.Net
Hai Every One. I'm creating Web Application in Asp.Net using VB.Net. I want to retrieve the client Hard Drive Serial Number and Volume No. Please help me...Thanks in Advance  soori457: Hai Every One.  I'm creating Web Application in Asp.Net using VB.Net. I want to retrieve the client Hard Drive Serial Number and Volume No. Please help me... Thanks in Advance  refer here http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mcpp/DriveInfoEx.aspxMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Site : ASPSnippets Thanks for your reply Mr....

Web resources about - How to get the hard disk serial number of a network drive? - sybase.powerscript

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

The Evolution of LiveRail & Audience Network
The Evolution of LiveRail & Audience Network

Meet the router that will make your home Wi-Fi network 3 times faster
The Consumer Electronics Show is always packed full of wireless routers and other networking gear, so much so that all of the announcements often ...

IDG Contributor Network: IT efficiency is a moving target; here's how to hit the bull's-eye
Higher education is experiencing many changes in both academic and operational processes. New learning and course delivery models are aimed to ...

NBC Sports Drafts Disney/ESPN’s David Preschlack To Lead Regional Networks
David Preschlack is playing for a new team. The longtime Disney/ESPN exec has been named President of NBC Sports Regional Networks and NBC Sports ...

Netflix Adds 130 Nations to Network While CEO Speaks at CES
Netflix's total nation count is currently at 190. Arabic, Korean, and Chinese language support has been added to the 17 languages previously ...

You'll Find The Safest Free Internet Connection With These City Wi-Fi Networks
... wireless security than you get at Starbucks or your hotel. This week, New York City officially inaugurated its free citywide Wi-Fi network, ...

Why We Believe F5 Networks Is Worth $127
This should not be a major concern for F5 as the company usually sees a seasonal softness in the first quarter followed by better results in ...

FOX Business Network announces moderators for GOP primary debates on Jan. 14
FOX Business Network announces moderators for GOP primary debates on Jan.